Ban All Revans From Grand Arena

Prev1
No, but seriously. If my opponent has a Revan(s) then that's pretty much a win for them. Either you have Revan(s) or you don't. I do not. Maybe matchmaking should take that into consideration in future. Oh, and maybe also make Revan only arena shards...or maybe a separate Revan version of the game where all toons are replaced by some other version of Revan. R2-Revan and so forth. ;)

Replies

• That’s why you get event characters the SECOND time around. So you don’t have to experience this.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    LeetoQui78 wrote: »
    No, but seriously. If my opponent has a Revan(s) then that's pretty much a win for them. Either you have Revan(s) or you don't. I do not. Maybe matchmaking should take that into consideration in future.

Why? You had the opportunity to get your own Revan(s) as well. JKR's event even appeared twice now. Surely, you could have unlock him the second time around like 'everybody else'. Your opponents with Revan teams simply built a stronger roster. Building your roster is part of GA. Not having key characters in your roster is no different than not modding your teams or applying a weak strategy. It's all up to each player to perform well.

• Krjstoff
    633 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    No, but seriously. If my opponent has a Revan(s) then that's pretty much a win for them. Either you have Revan(s) or you don't. I do not.
    ... I'm not ready for this month's event neither. I'm doing the grinds as well as all the other important grinds like trying to keep my arena squads relevant.

Ehem ... So you're saying that for more than six months, you've sat by and watched Revan absolutely dominate arena and GA, and still didn't make him a priority so you're able to get him the third time he's coming around?

Sorry to say, but you are an extremely salty whiner, and you should think hard about how you pick your priorities instead of the blind farming you've got going on. Especially if you want to be able to compete in GA and arena. Never has "Git Gud" been more appropriate...

(Furthermore: Revan is beatable by both Traya, CLS and Darth Revan - and maybe even other teams as well ... so ... you know ... get to it)
  • If you're complaining about 3v3, there are plenty of other ways to take out a Revan team.
  • Really seems like OP simply does not have the slightest clue on how to manage resources.
  • More unfair imo to have those who already have revan, to not face those without. As basically youre giving those who worked hard on their roster a harder time, whilst giving easy matchups to those who comparatively didnt put that effort in. Youve had time to get him, and you chose not to, the consequences are that you dont perform well against other players, because their roster is stronger than yours.
  • evoluza wrote: »
    That's why you get new event chars the first time. Then you don't have to experience this.

Sounds like it's too easy for you, if I send you my PayPal account will you give me 300 bucks for Darth Revan? For many people that's alot of money
  • There are several cases where one without a revan squad has beaten someone with it, when it was placed on defense.JKR has counters to it and a smart player will win regardless
  • Revan supposedly isn’t as OP in a 3v3 squad. I’d imagine a Thrawn, Nhialus, Scion should be able to take it down.
  • I'm just wondering that if one has been around when Revan was introduced to the game how can they still not be prepared for his third event?

Not that the game should be centered around Revan, but after seeing how well he performs in any area of the game, how does one even come to the conclusion that it's more important to farm literally anything else?
  • LeetoQui78 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering that if one has been around when Revan was introduced to the game how can they still not be prepared for his third event?

Not that the game should be centred around Revan, but after seeing how well he performs in any area of the game, how does one even come to the conclusion that it's more important to farm literally anything else?

I wonder. I've explained. Not everyone is prepared to drop everything else that is going on in the game just to go after one OP toon that will likely be nerfed once CG and EA have made their money. The game IS currently centred around the Revans, as I'm repeatedly being told here. All my resources should be going on them. To hell with everything else!

That's where resource management, that you claim to have an understanding of, comes into play. In 6 months it was more than possible to prepare for 7* Chewy, C-3PO and JKR, even without spending a dime. If you had any other targets, that's another thing. But even with focusing on other toons as well you could easily have three of BH (Chewy), Ewok (C3), NS and JKR squads.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    No, but seriously. If my opponent has a Revan(s) then that's pretty much a win for them. Either you have Revan(s) or you don't. I do not. Maybe matchmaking should take that into consideration in future.

Why? You had the opportunity to get your own Revan(s) as well. JKR's event even appeared twice now. Surely, you could have unlock him the second time around like 'everybody else'. Your opponents with Revan teams simply built a stronger roster. Building your roster is part of GA. Not having key characters in your roster is no different than not modding your teams or applying a weak strategy. It's all up to each player to perform well.

No, I couldn't ...

Yes, you could. It's only a matter of prioritizing farming the characters needed to unlock him. It's a choice and you choose not to have your own JKR.
    ... and I'm not ready for this month's event neither.

So, again you chose not to unlock your own JKR.
    I'm doing the grinds as well as all the other important grinds like trying to keep my arena squads relevant and the Sith raid grinds. The suggestion that every player needs to drop everything else in the game and solely focus on grinding these two toons is frankly ludicrous.

Nobody needs to. It's only a question of choices and priorities. Some of your opponent chose differently, unlocked their Revan(s) and now they benefit from it. Just be happy that in other game modes you benefit from whatever other characters, you farmed instead.
    I have several "key" characters, like C-3PO and Chewie, now because I didn't drop everything to grind the Revans, but that's supposedly a mistake.

Wether it's a mistake or not is a subjective oppinion. Having C-3P0 and Chewie is not a bad thing in my oppinion - it may be in yours.
    If that's so then this game is clearly unbalanced and broken. Again, rename it to Star Wars: Revans.

Why is it unbalanced, simply because you sometimes loose a round in GA? Remember all those rounds you won? was that a result of an unbalanced game as well? Or did you in your own oppinion earn those victories?

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Krjstoff wrote: »
    No, but seriously. If my opponent has a Revan(s) then that's pretty much a win for them. Either you have Revan(s) or you don't. I do not.
    ... I'm not ready for this month's event neither. I'm doing the grinds as well as all the other important grinds like trying to keep my arena squads relevant.

Ehem ... So you're saying that for more than six months, you've sat by and watched Revan absolutely dominate arena and GA, and still didn't make him a priority so you're able to get him the third time he's coming around?

Sorry to say, but you are an extremely salty whiner, and you should think hard about how you pick your priorities instead of the blind farming you've got going on. Especially if you want to be able to compete in GA and arena. Never has "Git Gud" been more appropriate...

(Furthermore: Revan is beatable by both Traya, CLS and Darth Revan - and maybe even other teams as well ... so ... you know ... get to it)

Totally ignoring my other points. If Revan is the sole focus of this game then the game is unbalanced and broken.

The game has plenty of other focuses, but it seems like you yourself only have eyes for Revan.
    And no I have not been mismanaging my resources. Again, there are other areas of this game that need focusing on. Not just one or two toons. If that is the case, which apparently it is going by the replies I'm getting here, then this game is broken. Again, rename it Star Wars: Revans.

The game is fine - your logic is flawed. As you yourself claim, there are plenty of other things to focus on - which you do. Hence Revan is not the sole focus of the game, like you insinuate. Yes, you may have trouble fighting Revan in GAs, but then instead you have your shiny C-3P0 and Chewie instead. Benefit. Be happy. You can even use those to beat JKR.
    No other meta has been so intrusive as far as I remember. It's okay to release or rework toons that aren't meant to be meta and only useful in one or two areas of the game but it's also okay to release other toons that completely dominate in all areas, that just so happen to also be, initially at least, behind a paywall.

JKR is not behind a paywall. Many players and their grandmothers unlocked him completely for free a couple of months ago. Even more will unlock him for free next month.
  • thomssi
    526 posts Member
    The time you spent on other things some people spent on Revan. If they had not done so then the rest of their rosters would be stronger. You would therefore be handicapping them. How is that fair? The game is one of prioritisation. I have Revan but my ewoks **** so no 7* c3-p0 after two goes. Improved those for next time (and BH) so missed DRevan. You can't have everything without spending (which I don't). Get used to it. Not nice maybe but expecting people who ground things out at expense to other bits of their roster so you can win is pretty ridiculous.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Waqui wrote: »

No, I couldn't and I'm not ready for this month's event neither.

Well, no, you could. As loads of other people did, otherwise you wouldn't be seeing enough Revans to have this issue in the first place.

I can certainly understand not getting JKR the first time around - I didn't either - but after seeing what a beast he was, you still chose not to prep for his second arrival. And now, after struggling against him so much, you haven't prepped for his third arrival either. And rather than make the sensible call and go "hey, maybe I oughtta work on that Revan fella," you want everyone else to be punished for playing differently than you.

Nope. F. Zero stars. No gold sticker. Do not pass Go, do not collect first place Grand Arena rewards.

I have nothing against playing the way you want - personally I'd much rather just farm the teams I enjoy, rather than constantly chase legendaries, but my desire to compete wins out. However, if you don't go after the dominant PVP characters, you need to be prepared to deal with the fact that you won't be as competitive in PVP. There is never going to be "balance," and the people who cry out for it are delusional. There is always going to be a New Hotness, and if you don't have it, you will lag behind in arenas both Grand and otherwise.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    If GA is supposed to be about matching up similar players, the algorithm should include a simple check of Revans and HMF (probably if HT as well) due to how hyper-tuned those kits are compared to others.

People who have those characters and ships already have those advantages in arena, raids and, to a lesser extent, in TW, TB. It's odd to have that "advantage" in a game mode that's supposed to be evenly matched.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Having Revan is not an auto win by any means

In my last GA I fought the final against the only person in our group that had Revan.

They placed it and most of their top teams on defense, leaving themselves too light on offense, so they could not clear as many teams as I did, so they lost.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    If GA is supposed to be about matching up similar players, the algorithm should include a simple check of Revans and HMF (probably if HT as well) due to how hyper-tuned those kits are compared to others.

Should it, though? Why should the game hold your hand and never put you up against people that will crush you because they tuned their roster for that specific purpose? PVP is an integral part of the game. You don't have to focus on it if you don't want to, but you shouldn't get to just pretend it doesn't exist and play in your own little Revan-free bubble.

Let's say you're a great mechanic and spend a year or so building a sweet race car. You enter it into a competition because you think you have a real chance of winning. Then when you get there, they announce that there won't actually be a race, they're just going to judge based on how cool the cars look.

Pretty weak, right?

And I know I'll get flak for "defending CG" here, but they need you to get stomped, because wanting to compete with the guy that stomped you drives spending. "Oh dang, that guy really wrecked me, maybe if I spend some crystals I can get what he has and do the same thing."
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• The game is intentionally unbalanced for purposes that are unrelated to the quality of the game. If the game was free to play, or if everyone paid the same amount to be allowed to play and there was no need to give an incentive to spend more money, then the game could be way more balanced, and of higher competitive quality.

But, the reality is that if you choose not to spend money, you are not playing the same game as those who do. You cannot compete, and you basically never will. You may be able to beat the whales in some aspect of the game, but in general you are just along for the ride like a remora, and your competition are the other remoras.

They probably watched their whales and figured they needed a Revan and put some effort into getting there eventually, to beat the other remoras and if lucky, maybe even a whale one day. You did not.

That is neither the game's, the whale's, the other remora's nor anyone else's fault. You hoped that you wouldn't need him and that your other investments would pay off. Perhaps they will, but not right now.

The Revan owners should not be punished in any way. I too advocate balance, but the whales need to eat first.

PS. I too am a remora. With a Revan.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Jarvind wrote: »

Should it, though? Why should the game hold your hand and never put you up against people that will crush you because they tuned their roster for that specific purpose? PVP is an integral part of the game. You don't have to focus on it if you don't want to, but you shouldn't get to just pretend it doesn't exist and play in your own little Revan-free bubble.

Let's say you're a great mechanic and spend a year or so building a sweet race car. You enter it into a competition because you think you have a real chance of winning. Then when you get there, they announce that there won't actually be a race, they're just going to judge based on how cool the cars look.

Pretty weak, right?

And I know I'll get flak for "defending CG" here, but they need you to get stomped, because wanting to compete with the guy that stomped you drives spending. "Oh dang, that guy really wrecked me, maybe if I spend some crystals I can get what he has and do the same thing."

Because CG stated that the intent of GA is to match similarly powered opponents?

Also, I noticed when you quoted me, you left out the entire portion about people with those characters/ships already having an advantage in arena, Raids, TW, TB and every other area of the game - so there is plenty of stomping to "encourage" spending. So I am not demanding to play in Revan-free bubble - and I have Revan, so I am trying to be fair, not simply defend my team/roster, as many do. So your "analogy" (and point) is completely nonsensical. Nice try though.

And yes, you will get flak for defending CG because of a poor match up algorithm.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    The problem with matchmaking down to the level of individual toons is that it's subjective, highly contextual and subject to change at any time.

For example:
    * before Revan, the prime objection was Traya at higher GP and Bastilia at lower GP, after Revan it will undoubtedly be some other character
    * I daresay there are people who would still put Traya, Bastilia and perhaps others like JTR or CLS in the this category and others who would not, so where exactly do you draw the line?
    * Revan with a squad of Jawas is about as useful as an inflatable Jarjar
    * Revan fully powered up with Jolee, Yoda, Bastilia and General Kenobi is enough to give even Darth Traya nightmares
    * If you have a Revan of your own or a proven counter, an enemy Revan is surely much less of a worry than if you do not
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Jarvind wrote: »

Pretty weak, right?

Because CG stated that the intent of GA is to match similarly powered opponents?

Also, I noticed when you quoted me, you left out the entire portion about people with those characters/ships already having an advantage in arena, Raids, TW, TB and every other area of the game - so there is plenty of stomping to "encourage" spending. So I am not demanding to play in Revan-free bubble - and I have Revan, so I am trying to be fair, not simply defend my team/roster, as many do. So your "analogy" (and point) is completely nonsensical. Nice try though.

And yes, you will get flak for defending CG because of a poor match up algorithm.

Your counterargument is "lol it's nonsense," which isn't an argument at all. It's just you being insulting and refusing to address a perfectly valid point: GA is PVP, so why should it have all these handicaps that no other PVP mode has? It's already vastly increased the probability of an even match by putting you up against people with the same GP, which can't be said of any other PVP mode.

People moaned about the ship GP issue and they fixed it. Now they moan about Revan. It's a give-a-mouse-a-cookie situation - no matter how much they tune it, people will just find something else to blame when they lose.

"Characters under G7 shouldn't count towards my GP because they die in one hit."
    "I leveled Jawas to get CD mods but they suck so they shouldn't count towards my GP."
    "I shouldn't get matched up against someone whose arena rank is X or better because they obviously are better at PVP than me."

And so on and so forth. Hell, so many people took the "take my ball and go home" route by refusing to deploy defenses that they had to implement a fix just for that. And now we're seeing opponents that get around even that by setting a single weak squad on defense just as an "f-you." Why do people even join if they're going to get so **** about it? There are a thousand non-competitive games out there that are just as good or better than this one - why not just go play one of those if losing is so completely intolerable?
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png