Possibly unpopular opinion: DRevan isn’t dominant enough

Cadmus
28 posts Member
I realize that he makes up a significant part of the meta now, but some of that is because he’s new. I shell out cash for new stuff in this game because I want to obliterate other players in arena/tw, not because I want balance. Journey characters should be practically undefeatable when first launched, otherwise, why would I pay for it? Bad revan is ok, but still eminently beatable, which sort of makes me less than happy. How about a couple months of p2w please?

Alternatively, what am I doing wrong? My DR is 324 spd, badstilla 290 spd w/50k ea h/p, sass 314 spd, sith trooper is at 170 spd 87k prot/48k hlth, and HK is sitting at 248 w/ offense mods.

Alternatively 2, where’s my Malak marquee?

Replies

• Options
    No they absolutely should not be.... Undefeatable...... When first launched.
  • Options
    No one wants one team to be unbeatable. No one wants darth malak to be a marquee event. Basically no one wants anything you want. Also it’s very easy to switch revan mods onto your sith assassin for a battle to beat your team.
  • Options
    If journey characters were so strong that they were impossible to beat when they first launch, then this game would be terrible. Imagine the power creep that would happen if every new journey character was unbeatable by any other team (including previously released journey and legendary characters). If D Revan was so strong that JKR stands no chance against him, how strong will the next character need to be to continue that trend? and the next character after that? Eventually it would get to a point where even old journey characters are useless and the only thing that would have any relevance at all would be the current META.
    This is not a pay to win game, it's a game where you pay for an advantage. I 100% support that spenders should get a significant advantage over the F2P folks like me, but if that advantage were to become a guaranteed win then I'd probably play a different game.
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    Options
    JKR has ruined new releases.

Look at Revans kit. It’s unbelievable. If you take JKR from the game, DR probably has the most ridiculous kit out there. He would be the most dominating toon out there if it wasn’t for Jedi Revan.
  • Cadmus
    28 posts Member
    Options
    Fair enough, I said it was unpopular ;)

So you think sass as my fastest toon would be an improvement?
  • Cadmus
    28 posts Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you Mr. Sausage.
  • Options
    It's not JKR that was the problem, it was Jolee's revive the entire team in a single action on an incredibly durable platform that was the problem. Now that JKR can't be revived if he dies with deathmark it's not so bad.

Seriously, try running JKR without Jolee and see how you fair.
  • CamaroAMF
    1282 posts Member
    Options
    Cadmus wrote: »
    Fair enough, I said it was unpopular ;)

So you think sass as my fastest toon would be an improvement?

I think replacing Sith Assassin with a different toon would be the better option. I haven’t seen a good DR team yet with her in it. Sion or Thrawn is what I see most often as a fifth. You lose the extra CD but to be honest it isn’t necessary.
  • Cadmus
    28 posts Member
    Options
    I was running sion but his dispel removes fear from everyone and my shardies all said it was an easy win with JKR. I’ll give thrawn a shot.
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »

Look at Revans kit. It’s unbelievable. If you take JKR from the game, DR probably has the most ridiculous kit out there. He would be the most dominating toon out there if it wasn’t for Jedi Revan.

Its Grand Master Yoda (highest dmg, group buff, foresight and all while gaining insane tm)
    All jedi teams rely completely on him and this is the reason of the insane protection around him to avoid the team dieing through a simple focus on him (rezz, foresights, buffs, assists for him..). If they would have introduced lets say a new tank and a better bastila and a better jolee than GMY would have not needed to be so outstanding. Than the need of such overpowered lead would have been far less.

Back to topic: I am no fan of the newest kit and I quite do not see an advantage for putting money inside this game now (even I did - shame on me). Its a company and they need to give good reasons to spend money inside the game to keep it running.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options
    As someone who maxed out Darth Revan on Day 1, I wish he was unbeatable. Part of me still hopes he's unbeatable when Malak is released.
    However, as someone who despises when CG makes one cash grab decision after another (so most of their decisions), and wishes SWGoH didn't have a meta larger than 50%, the fact he isn't unbeatable, like Jedi Revan was, makes me happy.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    Agreed
  • Options
    Corruptor wrote: »
    Just give it a few weeks til they do their hidden changes. Remember the palp rework being weak in arena when it was released? Then a few weeks later, boom. Ridiculous TM gains as you watch yourself getting rekt and trying to exit the battle at the same time but they just keep going and going. It’s starting to look like that now in some battles against DR.

They didn't change anything, people just figured out the best comps and modding. That's how it always goes after a meta-defining rework/release.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Options
    I’m moving way less in arena than I have in a long time. It’s added some diversity and the Palp counter now gives players 3 options
  • Options
    I think if they made cash grab toons unbeatable, this is how it would play out:

1. CG gains big short term cash grab from whales.
    2. Game loses dolphins and f2p (can't compete with the wallet).
    3. Whales get bored because the only competition is other whales (everyone has the same stuff, game is just not the same without as many players on different levels).
    4. Whales eventually move on.
    5. Game slowly dies.
  • Options
    I think the Devs don't want new character to = win. They want most teams to be competitive. At least most teams from the past 6 months to year.
  • Options
    I think the Devs don't want new character to = win. They want most teams to be competitive. At least most teams from the past 6 months to year.

I would say at least 2 minimal to 4 max metas behind at most to be viable in the arena/be top and it might go to 2 then go up to 4 then drop to 2 and repeat at times it might even hit 1 to reset the meta lvl to start over
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »

This is accurate, although as someone else pointed out, Jolee is also key to making him as absurd as he is.

But yeah, JKR looks like he was designed by an eight year old who doesn't understand or care about balance and just wants to always win every time no matter what. I think they actually did a remarkably good job with Darth Revan, in that he can beat something as completely over the top as JKR while still being beatable with non-Revan teams.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    If journey characters were so strong that they were impossible to beat when they first launch, then this game would be terrible. Imagine the power creep that would happen if every new journey character was unbeatable by any other team (including previously released journey and legendary characters). If D Revan was so strong that JKR stands no chance against him, how strong will the next character need to be to continue that trend? and the next character after that? Eventually it would get to a point where even old journey characters are useless and the only thing that would have any relevance at all would be the current META.
    This is not a pay to win game, it's a game where you pay for an advantage. I 100% support that spenders should get a significant advantage over the F2P folks like me, but if that advantage were to become a guaranteed win then I'd probably play a different game.

What GA is now guaranteed wins as soon as the matches are selected...it's horrible
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    Options
    DR isn't a.good counter to JKR...he still falls short...JKR best counter is to mirror him....I did not get malak..so this could change. But I still struggle with JKR vs DR.
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    Options
    TRanger wrote: »
    DR isn't a.good counter to JKR...he still falls short...JKR best counter is to mirror him....I did not get malak..so this could change. But I still struggle with JKR vs DR.

Drevan is much faster to climb with than jkr v jkr. Put DN in your drevan squad and put the tankiest mods you have on him (the type of mods you would normally use on SiT - don't worry about speed at all). DN will eat mark guaranteed. If you have good enough tank mods (which you should by now) DN can take a decent beating. He'll die, but you'll go to town while they're trying to kill him.