My Roster, Post-GA

Taejang
28 posts Member
idwty4k2s1jk.png

I have dozens of characters I could promote or activate. Some I can even take all the way to 7-stars, but they remain unactivated. GA actively penalizes you for doing so unless you can activate, promote, level, and gear up an entire squad at once (with the exception of a few characters that don't need a specific squad to go with them, like Nest).

Do you think this is what CG wants? What does your roster look like, post-GA?

Replies

• Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    The last thing I worry about is activating a character....I wont upgrade a character I dont plan on using but the few thousand gp increase from activating anything isnt going to make a bit of difference if you know how to play...
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    Taejang wrote: »
    No and what my roster is like,

x2ylczc8ujsc.png

There is no penalty in sandbagging. There is no “Your toons start with no protection if you have 20 toons over gear 12” clause

Sandbagging is what people do to get easier opponents and to be honest it doesn’t really make a difference. I did sand bagging and then I decided to just promote and level and gear whoever I want and had zero difference in the difficulty of my opponents
  • Options
    Kokie wrote: »
    The last thing I worry about is activating a character....I wont upgrade a character I dont plan on using but the few thousand gp increase from activating anything isnt going to make a bit of difference if you know how to play...

It’s cumulative... the more like 5,000 GP multiplied by 70 Characters Adds up. I think the best way to fix this “penalty” is to make the new TW map basically require a person to have those toons in order to get any decent rewards.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    I find it hilarious that people want to limit their ability to thrive in every other game mode just to face a few easier opponents in one game mode that doesn’t even reward crystals
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Snap! I play Star Wars: Galaxy of un-activated Heroes Online too...
    eenbz1fkjz3a.png
  • Taejang
    28 posts Member
    Options
    Nihion wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that people want to limit their ability to thrive in every other game mode just to face a few easier opponents in one game mode that doesn’t even reward crystals
    It does reward gear and mod stuff. As someone who isn't top of arena, I don't have crystals to spend on gear, so GA's gear rewards, while meager, are important.

The only game mode that directly clashes with GA is TB. I can't unlock and platoon characters without it impacting my GA. Any other game mode requires the characters to be powered up, and if you do that they become useful in GA; of course, the timing can mess you up. TB barely rewards an individual for platoons, so yeah I'll pick GA's rewards over TB's nonrewards.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Go ahead, play the way you want to play. But when I’m using all of my characters to win TW or TB, or getting new and diverse legendarys, I feel a little better knowing that I’m not holding back characters for some gear and a zeta. Oh and maybe you could upgrade some different toons so that you could get crystals from arena. Just a tip.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    eenbz1fkjz3a.png
    Its a lot easier to win GA with Enfys Nest, General Kenobi and bb8 than without it even if it means a small GP boost
  • Taejang
    28 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »

x2ylczc8ujsc.png

There is no penalty in sandbagging. There is no “Your toons start with no protection if you have 20 toons over gear 12” clause

Sandbagging is what people do to get easier opponents and to be honest it doesn’t really make a difference. I did sand bagging and then I decided to just promote and level and gear whoever I want and had zero difference in the difficulty of my opponents

Nice filters on that list. Yeah, you have seven characters that aren't 7-star. Total. By that point, I can't think of anything that would noticeably impact your matchmaking in GA.
    eenbz1fkjz3a.png
    Its a lot easier to win GA with Enfys Nest, General Kenobi and bb8 than without it even if it means a small GP boost
    Only if you can gear them to a useful level immediately. If you can unlock them but only get them to g8 (looking at you, Kenobi and all your carbs and stun guns), then that GP boost puts you against stronger opponents without actually giving you anything to combat them with. A few thousand GP is negligible, but it adds up quickly.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Oh look the get gud crowd is here and the GA streamliners are here.

Now we just need the somewhere in the middle crowd which is prob where the truth lies

The 2 extremes are inconcreterehencible

GA ruined any early game extra spam spending if there is ever another GOH 2/3 etc even another brand like it as who would be crazy enough to spend or even just level a non god or not needed to get non god toon

GA is inconcretehensible
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    eenbz1fkjz3a.png
    Nest is activated and being powered up at the moment but I don't have the resources to spare for General Carbanti right now and no spot for BB8 yet so there's no point activating them until I do.

Leaning out the bottom of my roster and bulking up the top helped give me a shot at victory with my fleet-heavy roster but it's only a matter of time before someone builds a min-maxed alt from the ground up.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options

x2ylczc8ujsc.png

Nice filters on that list. Yeah, you have seven characters that aren't 7-star. Total. By that point, I can't think of anything that would noticeably impact your matchmaking in GA.
    eenbz1fkjz3a.png
    Only if you can gear them to a useful level immediately. If you can unlock them but only get them to g8 (looking at you, Kenobi and all your carbs and stun guns), then that GP boost puts you against stronger opponents without actually giving you anything to combat them with. A few thousand GP is negligible, but it adds up quickly.

GK is part of the JKR meta. I would suggest starting on him, whoever did not have him unlocked.

It does not make sense that deadweight GP damages GA. But I don’t understand why people want to limit their roster for mediocre rewards. The game is so much more than GA.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    eenbz1fkjz3a.png
    Nest is activated and being powered up at the moment but I don't have the resources to spare for General Carbanti right now and no spot for BB8 yet so there's no point activating them until I do.

Leaning out the bottom of my roster and bulking up the top helped give me a shot at victory with my fleet-heavy roster but it's only a matter of time before someone builds a min-maxed alt from the ground up.
    Yeah, thats a sound strategy. I've seen some people that just refuse to activate toons even if they are A-list toons just to prevent GP inflation

x2ylczc8ujsc.png

The reason why I have seven characters left is because I've been promoting every other toon I've had since GA was released which was my point at the end of the previous post. The game doesn't penalize you for doing this
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Nihion wrote: »

x2ylczc8ujsc.png

eenbz1fkjz3a.png

The game is so much more than GA.

OfficerJudyHops.jpg
  • Taejang
    28 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The reason why I have seven characters left is because I've been promoting every other toon I've had since GA was released which was my point at the end of the previous post. The game doesn't penalize you for doing this
    I think I'll just have to disagree with you then. I've noticed a difference since I stopped activating and promoting people except those absolutely needed (I just activated an entire NS squad, for example, and am excited to see them perform in this next GA and later TWs).
  • Gannon
    1629 posts Member
    Options
    63sn05pponif.png
    most of my toons are leveled and geared to at least purple, but I have these guys that I haven't found teams for yet. Unless I have a clear team in mind, I don't work on em, but it hasn't affected me too much..
    GA is all about what you use for your 20 or so teams, and if on offense they can counter multiple things easily
  • DocileHoneybadger
    40 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    ...inconcreterehencible...

...inconcretehensible

What the hell?
  • Hikari
    212 posts Member
    Options
    I view players that don't activate and 7* chars as a burden to their guild.

They can't help with platoons and force the same players to carry them by filling platoons all the time.
  • mali3538
    105 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Now i saw everything....BB8 unlocked with 330 shards...GK almost completed...all unactivated....i dont know what to say.....WOW just WOW....GK is usefull even @5*...but he need gear....
    For what, to get easier opponent, that isnt guarantee....just insane...

No spot for BB8? what did he wrote...wow

If you dont want to inflate GP don add mods on toons it have bigger impact.
  • DavieJG
    112 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The point is that the old method of leveling chars little by little is obsolete. The OP knows that gk/bb8 etc are good chars. The point is that it makes sense to hoard gear (and check swgoh.gg) until you have sufficient gear to make the char useable i.e. unactivated -> g11. That way you're never carrying around unnecessary bloat. It's just like nukezone if anyone used to play that...
  • mali3538
    105 posts Member
    Options
    I dissagree....i have 3,3mil and 39 g12 toons, about 10 have 100+speed...i dont have DR and ****, it is all about resource menagemenat, not about not leveling some toon, i lost 2 GA so far...and i am F2P
  • Ratinira
    412 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hikari wrote: »

They can't help with platoons and force the same players to carry them by filling platoons all the time.

Some time ago our guild had a player with 0 g12 characters. He just didnt want to gear them to g12. But he had all characters at 7* and in purple.

He couldnt do max at last stages of both TB, couldnt set defence at TW exept last locations, couldnt attack normaly, did little damage at Triumvirate Raid...
    But yes, he could fill platoons and pour GM

Our officers decided he was a burden as players should do more than a "fill platoon" role.
    Extremes are not good, there should be an equilibrium...
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Feel free to ask my guild if they consider me a burden though I'm afraid you wont like the answer. ;)
    I pull my weight and then some in TB/TW and raids. Not everybody is in a high end guild.

How many of each toon does a guild need for TB platoons anyway? I'm darn sure they don't need every member to 7* every toon just for that.
    mali3538 wrote: »
    Now i saw everything....BB8 unlocked with 330 shards...GK almost completed...all unactivated....i dont know what to say.....WOW just WOW....GK is usefull even @5*...but he need gear....
    Exactly, gear. A g7 or lower toon is dead weight to me and even g8 is marginal so unless I need them for a legendary event there is no point activating until I can commit the resources to power them up beyond that point.
    For what, to get easier opponent, that isnt guarantee....just insane...
    When you have a fleet-heavy roster and you are facing opponents with up to 50% more usable GP as I was before they changed to squad-only matchmaking, optimizing your roster wherever you can is a no-brainer. Five 3-0 finishes despite that handicap says I am doing something right.
    No spot for BB8? what did he wrote...wow

If you dont want to inflate GP don add mods on toons it have bigger impact.
    Yup, I don't have JTR, a Resistance squad or a droid squad currently. I could power him up for raids but I do plenty of damage already.

I already don't have mods on toons I'm not using.

GK will get activated as I get closer to Revan and clear some of my huge Carbanti backlog and I will likely go for JTR next cycle.
  • mali3538
    105 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @Rath_Tarr so you never wrote your score in GA or arena ranks, or show us your whole rooster, or at least your teams for GA
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @Rath_Tarr so you never wrote your score in GA or arena ranks, or show us your whole rooster, or at least your teams for GA
    GA: 5 bracket wins (3-0), a 4-zone mixed, a 2-zone mixed, a 5v5 squad-only and two 3v3 squad only (my favorite variant). The rest I finished either 2-1 or 1-2.

Squad arena: 100-200 range with Bounty Hunters, occasionally ducking under 100 for payout. Not my favorite mode, even before it turned into RevanDome.

Fleet arena: share top spot with a shardmate who has the same payout. I use my own mashup fleet.

GA squads:
    Bounty Hunters
    First Order
    Empire
    Rebels
    Jedi
    Murder Bears
    and various mashups on the fly depending what defensive squads I need to break

My hobbies include modding and more modding. ;)
  • mali3538
    105 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    here is mine, like i said, so far i lost 2 GA (wasn't first, finished 2-4)
    Like you i dont like squad arena, i am usualy 50-200, some days i dont have time before payout and i finish above 200.
    Fleet i was top10, more top5, but without M i l F (i will get it now @7*), i am usually between 10 and 20.

https://swgoh.gg/p/229635848/

If you think i am doing something wrong, please tell me. @Rath_Tarr

I dont believe in that what you are doing, we are all different, and that is the beauty.