The Force Awakens *SPOILERS-Do not read if you haven't seen the movie*

Replies

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    I don't recall exactly but I believe he was distracted in some way when Chewie shot him.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Terrorize89
    434 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I could never understand how Kylo got shot by Chewbacca when earlier, he could take a blast shot and hold it mid-air as if it was harmless. Remember, Kylo started out bad-**** and ended as a sniveling brat who couldn't fight. It's those plot holes and inconsistencies that made the film the worst, not to mention the unoriginal rip-off of the original trilogy

Maybe cause he was distracted/overjoyed/feeling triumphant over killing his dad? That split second where he was celebrating inside. Sith/Dark Jedi have always been shown to be arrogant and over confidant, that is usually their downfall and weakness, Luke speaks this truth out loud to Sideous in VI, and Chewie delivers Kylo a reminder off that truth we've been told before, via being shot in the gut during his act of self importance.
  • Just WHO is Snoke? Is he Darth Plagius, Sid, or another Darth? He could be Sid. Remember the scene where Palpitine tells Anakin about the Sith Lord who knew the secret to immorality?

Even though it's non canon now, there an old comic about Sid surviving through a cloning process.
  • The fact Kylo Rinn was able to take a bow caster shot, live and fight two duels says he is tough. In the movie they say he still has more training to go through. So he is by no means a master. He was portrayed as a whiny spoiled entitled brat which would explain why he fell to the dark side. The movie wasn't perfect but I think that JJ Abrams did a good job.
  • Just WHO is Snoke? Is he Darth Plagius, Sid, or another Darth? He could be Sid. Remember the scene where Palpitine tells Anakin about the Sith Lord who knew the secret to immorality?

Even though it's non canon now, there an old comic about Sid surviving through a cloning process.

Palpatine surviving VI was central to most EU stories that directly proceeded episode VI. I'm kinda hoping Snoke is Palpatine still, that he did indeed learn the secrets from Darth Plagius and just feigned ignorance to help sway Anakin. If he had said he knew then Anakin would have demanded his help immediately, rather than working towards that goal (Before Padme died and then it was too late to go back).

Using Kylo to destroy Luke is very much something Palpatine would do, and/or perhaps he needs Luke dead, killed in some fashion for a dark ritual to finish his resurrection.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    I'm kinda hoping Snoke is Palpatine still...

I'm praying he's not. That story has more than enough retreads in it already.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • OK I skimmed over this thread as its very lengthy and opinions are flying everywhere!!

We saw the prowess of kylo's force abilities.. THEN we see how Rey was able to match, then beat Kylo's force mastery.. as for the speculation of the lightsaber duel,
    It's somewhat apparent that Kylo leans heavily on his force manipulation, and most probably used that to outplay the other Jedi apprentices. So he's not fighting like he's used to.
    Another detail...the guy just got shot by Chewy's blaster.. and he can't use the force as an advantage against Rey. Even Han solo showed awe over how powerful chewies gun is. So the dude survived a shot that sends most things flying.. all I'm saying is that it wasn't so far fetched to see the outcome play out.
  • Only thing I didn't like is how they switched the lore up a bit they could have left it alone. Ben was Luke's sons name, Hans was Jason and jaina was Jason's twin sister who eventually kills him. Jason killed Mara Jade Luke's wife which was his turning point to Darth Cadeus killing Han was upsetting I almost walked out the theatre. If they would have stuck with original lore it would have been so much better I know Disney owns now and they mucked with the whole father son thing again but come on. Kylo will be more powerful and things should be very Dark side favored in the next movie if they do it right his transformation into the dark side and power will be complete.
  • I think its pretty obvious snoke is sidious atleast I truly hope so, & I do understand that chewie shot him so that makes things a tad bit better hopefully like others stated his transition to the darkside will be fully complete by the next movie so we can see just how powerful he really is
  • Lazerchicken
    13 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    This movie obviously set up for more movies. It's all building. All you boo-hooers saying that the young Jedi/Sith in this movie weren't powerful or enough and let you down... you are fooling yourself. Be patient for what is to come. That's how JJ does it. Setting it up for more sequels, (cough more money, funny, that's how this game does it too). The force is strong with the young Rey (Solo) and now Luke is set for the 2nd movie to train her.

Obviously the $100 new characters are bunk and not stronger than any other already in the game. They don't want a pay-to-win system. If you want them, go buy them. They're not going to make or break your pvp strategy or revolutionize the game. I'd say Asajj, Sidious, and Dooku are much stronger than Kylo... but watch out when he gets ****, when he turns yellow/red, you better finish him off quick if you go up against him. Finn doesn't seem any better than any other taunter already in the game.

Also, they're stuck at 4 stars for the time being, unless you want to spend a ton of crystals and get lucky. I'll stick with characters I already have at 5 stars and will be able to farm steadily to max them out.
  • I honestly liked it . The only part is I'm a Han fan.

At least wait till the 2nd movie to kill him off!!

Ren stabbing then throwing him off the catwalk was brutal . Can't imagine how Luke is going to take his friend dying by the hands of his apprentice and his friends son.

Snoke I think he is either Sid or plaguious.
    Mainly by the way he looks I don't think it's sidious.

Why Han why!!!
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Qeltar wrote: »
    ***** MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW *****

Okay, now that the title is changed, here's why I disliked this movie:
    1. I'd seen it before. This has to be the least original sequel I have ever seen in my entire life. Almost every character and every plot device came from earlier episodes. We've got a new orphan with force powers on a desert planet. We have a new super pilot rebel guy. We have a new Darth Vader, right down to the mask. We have new {BadGuysFromWW2ThatTheCensorDoesn'tAllow}-like bad-guy generals and troops. We have a new "father-son conflict", even on a catwalk! We even have a new shriveled replacement for Yoda and a new Cantina and a new death star. I was actually going "REALLY?" to myself throughout the movie. Nearly EVERYTHING is recycled.
    (Did anyone notice the lampshading on the death star? "Aren't those things for blowing up?" Yeah.)
    2. The "30 years later" setup makes no sense. The Empire is defeated! Except it's not, it's exactly the same just with different people. There's a new Republic, but they do nothing, apparently, but sit and wait to be wrecked. And there's a "resistance"... why would there be a "resistance" when there's a Republic? The First Order would be the "resistance". Why wasn't the "resistance" working with the Republic? Just a truly dumb, horrible setup.
    3. Totally unrealistic character development. Rey apparently read "Jedi Masters for Dummies", since she went from quarterstaff-swinging waif to lightsaber master in 15 minutes or so. Even Finn, never having touched a lightsaber, was able to use it competently despite the weapon being notoriously difficult to learn. And no, I will not feel better if they invent some backstory reason about them having been previously trained and it having been "suppressed", I am evaluating THIS movie.
    4. Most of all, I HATED HATED HATED the way they treated all of the old characters except for Han and Chewie. I know the purpose here was to introduce new characters but what they did to the old ones was awful. Han and Leia are divorced, how predictable. The scenes with the two of them in it were embarassingly bad. Leia is Luke's twin but rather than a Jedi knight herself -- I hoped to see her swinging a saber around -- she's a "general" who basically does nothing but look worried.
    5. Saving the worst for last: Luke. The hero who rushed to help his friends untrained in Episode 5, the one who was willing to sacrifice himself in Episode 6, the last remaining Jedi and hope for the light side.. suffers a betrayal and so he turns into a whiner and sulks on a remote planet leaving the dark side to once again take over the galaxy?! Terrible, terrible, terrible. I don't even care if it turns out there was some mysterious reason, it made no sense to me for the character and I was really disappointed.

Some interesting points; and things I'd considered myself. However I've tried to rationalize some of them. Here's how I did:

1) JJ had a very difficult job. He had to created a movie using characters with 30 years of personal history with fans while introducing new ones. At the same time he had to bridge a 30 year gap of in universe history. To do so I think he purposely recycled certain themes in order to help fan feel comfortable with all the other changes. This helps close the door on the past and move forward with the new.
    2) It appears as if, up until that one system was destroyed, that the New Republic and New Order were in a Cold War. As a result the NR was funding the Resistance in a proxy war to combat the NO's expansion.
    3) I was initially puzzled by Rey's quick study of the force as well. I'm going to theorize that she is Luke's child, which would explain her affinity with the force, and why she was hidden away on a planet so similar to where Luke grew up, prior to his going into exile. It would also explain why Anakin/Luke's lightsaber called to her through the force. I also think the force, which at times acts almost sentient in the way it exerts it's will on people's destiny, was directly responsible for the sudden surge in her ability to use it. This was physically triggered by her touching the lightsaber and having her visions.
    4) I also thought there were many missed opportunities for heartwarming moments between characters who are family in so many ways. That being said, Leia was shown to have grown considerably strong in the force. I'm going to guess that prior to Luke's disappearance she was on her way to if not already a Jedi. She clearly possesses the ability to sense the death of a single individual, even if it was her husband, from an incredible distance. I believe she, like her brother, abandoned that path after Ben Solo's fall. She reinforces my theory when she said that they all went back to things they knew they were good at.
    5) The major difference between the examples you're comparing between the Luke of ESB and TFA is that in ESB Luke was young, rash, and immature. Also, his sacrifice in order to save his friends was a personal one. We're he to fail, he would not be responsible for the death of innocents. By contrast, by Luke attempting to resurrect the Jedi, and as a result Ben falling, he felt responsible for what we can assume are numerous deaths. If I'm right about Rey being his daughter, Ben may even be responsible for Rey's mothers death. Luke would then feel the guilt of training the next Vader. As a result he exiled himself out of guilt and sadness. However, I believe the Force is using his daughter to pull him back and show him he cannot escape his destiny of restoring balance by truly returning the Jedi to the galaxy.
  • Did anyone else think Luke looked a little like obi-wan from episode 3 ? Beard and all ?
    I was like minus the traditional like hairstyle that could be obi-wan
  • Lokorian
    29 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I liked it a lot not saying I didn't and honestly snoke is probably Darth Plaugis Sidious master, If you remember in the revenge of the Sith when sidious talking to anakin when trying to sway him he talks about a presence in the force he hasn't felt in a long time Plaugis is the one who worked with his powers to cheat death this would be huge and sidious eventually will return.

I hate how people talked about Kylo, he was not use to others strong with the force never came across it so it took him by surprise Darth Vader and Sidious purged all but a handful of Jedi who at this point are Laying low key. Kylo let his emotions sway him because Rey was messing with his head saying he was scared he's never be as powerful as Vader. Sith are known for letting emotions drive them whether to succeed or fail.
    Post edited by Lightforce22 on
  • Personally I'd be a Sith.... the code they follow and the way the go about things are very logical if only the rule of 2 could be diminished completely and the power craving settle just enough it could open large scale wars for future movies and that would be pretty awesome just like when bane had the covenant before he set the rule
  • imarobbiepie
    41 posts Member
    edited December 2015

3) Going by Reys vision, she was present when Kylo killed his fellow Jedi pupils. And since only Jedi were there, this points to the fact Rey was a Jedi in training as a little girl. The movie is called The Force Awakens, which is meant entirely on Reys abilities waking back up, this would imply that before being left on Jakku, her memory was altered and skills suppressed. However once coming into contact with, what is highly likely, her fathers lightsaber, any sort of ability block (game reference woo!) Was broken and her training flooded back fast. In the trailer Luke mentions the whole "The force runs strong in my family" lines, I believe he was talking to Rey, as when he mentions Leia, he says his sister, not your mother, so it rules Kylo out. Finn is or was a First Order stormtrooper, and as displayed, they have combat training in melee weapons against lightsaber (obviously their role is to kill Luke), so Finn likely received such training, hence some ability with a lightsaber.

This is an interesting theory and I actually really like it. However, I just watch the scene again during Rey's vision, and I don't really see any evidence of this. I assume you're talking about the scene in the rain where you see the Knights of Ren for the first time and all the dead bodies on the ground. These could be the fallen padawan's from Luke academy, but the individual Kylo stabs doesn't look like a jedi nor does it look like he's holding a lightsaber. It looks like quite the opposite actually, it looks like he's holding a stick of some kind. :/

Really cool theory though.

• More than likely it's visions of the future and what Kylo is going to end up doing in part of his trasformation with his training he has gone to begin with snoke
  • When it comes to the dead bodies that is others are obviously of her past
  • I think its pretty obvious snoke is sidious atleast I truly hope so, & I do understand that chewie shot him so that makes things a tad bit better hopefully like others stated his transition to the darkside will be fully complete by the next movie so we can see just how powerful he really is

You don't hire Andy Serkis, the master of motion capture, for a character we've already seen before...
  • imarobbiepie
    41 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Lokorian wrote: »
    More than likely it's visions of the future and what Kylo is going to end up doing in part of his trasformation with his training he has gone to begin with snoke
    When it comes to the dead bodies that is others are obviously of her past

Not sure if I'm just reading this wrong, but I'm not sure what you are saying. I don't think this is a vision of the future. First for the most obvious reason, you see Rey as a young girl. And second, you see Luke, doing what it appear to be, deactivating R2 (R2's lights turn from blue to red).

Rather than a vision, this could just be the lightsaber triggering old memories that she forced herself to forget.
    Also, it just came to me. Rey said to Han Solo that she though Luke was a myth. Unlikely, that she was training under Luke the same time Kylo Ren was. Also, I don't think she would have forgot something like that so easily, seeing how she kept pretty accurate count of her days on Jakku and stay pretty focused, while waiting for who ever dropped her off on Jakku.
    Post edited by imarobbiepie on
  • Ok imarobbie let me break it down lol, we see Luke deactivating r2 Luke in his position appears wounded, sparks all around then it's starts raining in that scene just before the one where Kylo appears. At this scene it appears that Kylo finds out the location of Luke and goes there the person Kylo stabs is luke listen to the voice and go watch the old movie when Luke gets his hand cut very similar yell, so all of Luke's new found students and him slaughtered, leaving Rey, the scene on Jakku that's the millennium falcon which during the in between things with leia and Han the kids were seperated (Ben and Rey) Luke is her uncle and she is strong with the force because of Leia. The way han treated her and her knowledge of ships that's from him. The hug from leia when Han was killed you can get a sense the bond. Then the final scene in her vision is in the woods in there snow and Kylo appearing again this was the fight at the end of the movie obviously when she is finally Awakened so it's a mix of things to come and things of old. This all makes sense because if they are following the new order Jaina (Rey) is Kylos sister and she is the one who kills him eventually after he becomes Darth Cadeus.

This is what I strongly believe was the vision and it falls so into place
  • Think about it what better way to follow in the role of Vaders footsteps then to slaughter padawans as did anakin to complete his turn to the darkside
  • imarobbiepie
    41 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Ok imarobbie let me break it down lol, we see Luke deactivating r2 Luke in his position appears wounded, sparks all around then it's starts raining in that scene just before the one where Kylo appears. At this scene it appears that Kylo finds out the location of Luke and goes there the person Kylo stabs is luke listen to the voice and go watch the old movie when Luke gets his hand cut very similar yell, so all of Luke's new found students and him slaughtered, leaving Rey, the scene on Jakku that's the millennium falcon which during the in between things with leia and Han the kids were seperated (Ben and Rey) Luke is her uncle and she is strong with the force because of Leia. The way han treated her and her knowledge of ships that's from him. The hug from leia when Han was killed you can get a sense the bond. Then the final scene in her vision is in the woods in there snow and Kylo appearing again this was the fight at the end of the movie obviously when she is finally Awakened so it's a mix of things to come and things of old. This all makes sense because if they are following the new order Jaina (Rey) is Kylos sister and she is the one who kills him eventually after he becomes Darth Cadeus.

This is what I strongly believe was the vision and it falls so into place

Firstly, I don't know why you're mentioning Jaina and Darth Cadeus. They don't even exist anymore. Also, I can see why you think Rey is Han's daughter, having a lot of similar traits (operating the Millennium Falcon) and even Kylo mentioned when reading her mind that she thought Han as the father she never had. However, there are scenes in the movie that contradict this. With that being said, we've seen before uncles acting as father figures. Using Uncle Ben and Luke for example. So, there's is one scene in the movie where Rey is captured by Kylo on Takodana. Finn, very worried, tells Han, "they took her." Han simply replies with a, "yeah yeah" and a very dismissive wave of his hand before he talks to Leia about Kylo, their son. Why would he ignore his own daughter to grieve over his son? Seems odd. Now, I do believe that Han knows who she really is because Maz Kanata asks Han, "so, who's the girl?" at the cantina on Takodana after Finn and Rey both leave the table. Then the scene cuts. Also, odd they would add that. Following that scene Maz meets Rey in the basement after her "vision" and seems to know a lot about her. She even mentions that the saber calls to her as it has done generations before. I think Han told her she was Luke's kid.

Next, I'm am pretty sure that the person Kylo stabbed isn't Luke. And I'm 100% sure that the ship you see in Rey "vision" isn't the Millennium Falcon. LOL. It looks nothing like it. And I also don't see anything that tells me Luke was hurt when he was with R2.

• woodchuck
    53 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Overall, i enjoyed watching TFA.

but it was far from perfect. how do i put this? i think JJ should stick to creating tv shows. that's the format he is best at. movies should have cinematic grandeur and atmosphere, and TFA for the most part lacked cinematic feel. it felt like a 2hr viewing experience that mostly had "tv style" shots mixed in with some "cinematic" shots.

this is where Lucas is better than JJ. at least Lucas' films felt like watching a real movie (esp. the original 3 star wars - episode IV, V, and VI).

some other random thoughts about TFA:

- i HATE the casting of Adam Driver for this. for me, this was the worst part of TFA. probably mostly because I don't know Adam Driver at all except, by pure coincidence, i watched "While We're Young" 2 weeks before i watched TFA where he played a goofy hippie character. his look, his voice (yes, voice matters!!! he sounds like a wimp), and his acting demeanor (emotionless, dead pan intonation) is just about the worst casting choice possible for a character that is supposed to be imposing and feared. probably the reason why ppl got a "WT-F/really?" (and/or laughing becoz he is dorky looking) moment when he unmasked in the movie.

- lack of presence and fear for "the dark side"... Vadar was scary, Maul was scary.... Kylo was a joke (due to BOTH the casting AND the abysmal fighting choreography). something is seriously out of whack when Kylo was shown to be able to stop a phaser blast earlier in the movie, yet later during his lightsaber fight with Finn/Rey, he shows no form, control, refinement, or expertise as he's basically heaving and hurling his lightsaber around. (versus a lightsaber "newbie" that never used a lightsaber before no less)

- princess Leia scenes were embarassingly bad.. i dunno if it was her bad acting, or the lines she spoke, or both.. but they somehow just didn't feel right.. maybe also, Carrie Fisher getting old/fat can be blamed too. Harrison Ford at least still can act somewhat.

- Finn the movie character was okay. but there was absolutely nothing remarkable about him skillwise or otherwise in the movie, he was a very lucky guy, just to be in the right place at the right time. i really don't understand why he is made a strong character in SWGoH, 2nd to Chewbacca in base hitpoints (682 vs 684).

- Poe was just okay, too. again, nothing remarkable. nothing stands out. nothing unique.

- the BEST thing about this movie was Rey. i thought the casting was perfect, love her! my only gripe with her character was that she went from zero (a desert scavenger barely surviving at the beginning) to hero (picked up a lightsaber and beat Kylo in her first lightsaber duel!!) instantly. too far a jump, needed more development. Rey's last name is intentionally left out?!?! could it be SkyWalker????? :)

- Snokes reminds me of the Inquisitor in Star Wars Rebels! (similar shaped profile)... and what's with Snokes being a giant??

like i said, overall, i enjoyed watching TFA. it's not perfect, and lots of things to nitpick and be critical of, but i am thankful the movie was made becoz i am a Star Wars fan. i even got teary eyed i think at the scene where Leia hugged Rey, and felt excited when Rey found Luke at the end (predictable, but still, OMG moment!!).

Post edited by woodchuck on
  • They have the vision leaked on YouTube I've seen the movie 3 times and watch the vision a lot because I too at first didn't think it was the falcon but after seeing 2 more times in theatre and watching the YouTube video a few times to re examine when it turns to head towards the horizon it looks like the front of the falcon
  • Perhaps Poe will be more so show I. Rouge One movie coming out if he is even in it. That movie is suppose to be an all out war movie which would be absolutely fantastic. I've been wanting crazy awesome action in movies ever since I watched clone wars so much more going on.
  • I agree on the Finn thing should not be matched with chewy at all chewy's blaster should be a big staple on this considering how powerful it is
  • Snoke was a hologram
  • imarobbiepie
    41 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    woodchuck wrote: »
    Overall, i enjoyed watching TFA.

- i HATE the casting of Adam Driver for this. for me, this was the worst part of TFA. probably mostly because I don't know Adam Driver at all except, by pure coincidence, i watched "While We're Young" 2 weeks before i watched TFA where he played a goofy hippie character. his look, his voice (yes, voice matters!!! he sounds like a wimp), and his acting demeanor (emotionless, dead pan intonation) is just about the worst casting choice possible for a character that is supposed to be imposing and feared. probably the reason why ppl got a "WT-F/really?" (and/or laughing becoz he is dorky looking) moment when he unmasked in the movie.

- lack of presence and fear for "the dark side"... Vadar was scary, Maul was scary.... Kylo was a joke (due to BOTH the casting AND the abysmal fighting choreography). something is seriously out of whack when Kylo was shown to be able to stop a phaser blast earlier in the movie, yet later during his lightsaber fight with Finn/Rey, he shows no form, control, refinement, or expertise as he's basically heaving and hurling his lightsaber around. (versus a lightsaber "newbie" that never used a lightsaber before no less)

Although, I do agree on a lot of what you said, I still really like Kylo. I hate myself for saying this, but apart of me likes him even more than Vader. I feel like Kylo was everything Vader wasn't. I have to strongly degree with Kylo not being intimidating. Throughout the original trilogy we see Vader cool, calm, collective. Sure, we see him force choke some people and that's awesome. But never have we seen him lash out from pure anger. I love the anger displayed by Kylo Ren in two scenes in the movies. We all know anger fuels the dark side and lets be honest, when has Vader showed that much frustration and anger to the point where he wants to destroy everything like that? Kylo Ren was unbalanced and visibly powerful and that's pretty scary, IMO. To me, Vader was a obedient puppet that knew his limitations and restrictions and never step foot outside those boundaries.

The only time Vader really shows uncontrollable anger is in episode III, when he finds out that padme has died. And frankly, that scene was pretty pathetic, imo. That was more like a sadden cry rather than boiling anger.

And then the beating on his wounded chest during the Ren and Rey fight was just the cherry on top for me. Using physical pain to fuel the dark side. Classic, I loved it.

Not to mention Kylo did the one thing Vader could never do... Kill his family.

The only real problem I have with Kylo Ren is he chose the wrong time to reveal his face. I think it would have been a much more capturing moment if he removed his helmet for the first time for the one person causing his struggle between the light and dark side. In the end, choosing the dark and killing Han Solo. But, apart from that, every time he put on the helmet he takes on a whole different persona.

And obviously getting whooped by Rey is a problem, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm a big fan of Dark Side lore.
    woodchuck wrote: »

- Poe was just okay, too. again, nothing remarkable. nothing stands out. nothing unique.

Wow, I thought Poe was badass with some great acting. Wow.... shocked that you feel that way.

• imarobbiepie
    41 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    They have the vision leaked on YouTube I've seen the movie 3 times and watch the vision a lot because I too at first didn't think it was the falcon but after seeing 2 more times in theatre and watching the YouTube video a few times to re examine when it turns to head towards the horizon it looks like the front of the falcon

You may want to watch the movie again then. There are two round thrusters/engines on the back on the ship. It's 100% not the Falcon, haha.

Untitled_zpsefqyldfw.png

If you actually saw the movie, you would know that there is literally, without a doubt, no comparison between ships. Rofl. The fact that you actually think it's the Falcon is pretty laughable. Oh boy. Haha.

Edit: Just wanted to say I've seen the movie three times as well. All in IMAX theaters, not some fuzzy bootleg copies like you probably seen. ROFL. Also, added picture.

This discussion has been closed.