Drop in Sims -> increase in drop rate

T4NM4N26
124 posts Member
Since we don't do double drops in the game anymore and with the drop back down to 5 sims, I propose we increase the drop rate by 10%. I would also love to see an event where we have guaranteed drops. Do 10 Sims get 10 shards. On double drops my luck seemed to be 10 sims and 0 shards still.

Replies

• Don't get your hopes up.
  • Dropping from 8 to 5 is horrible and a clear cash grab. I love how the reasoning is it was set to 8 so people can get Revan and Darth Revan, but I’d venture to guess less than 10 percent have Darth Revan seeing as he was pretty much behind a paywall this first event. EA games is such a joke
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    The change from 8 attempts to 5 attempts does not reduce the rate at which your roster grows.

Spending 150 crystals/day on energy (which many free players do, and it makes my math easier), you can maintain about 5 farms per day at 8 attempts. Assuming a 30% drop rate, then on average, those 40 sims will yield 12 shards.

Spending the same number of crystals on energy, and reducing the cap to 5, you can maintain about 8 parallel farms. At 30% drop rate, you get 12 shards on average. Your roster advances at the same rate. Either way, in about six months, you'll finish about eight characters, in a game that generally doesn't add characters to the table at that rate. You can reasonably make headway.

But at cap 5, 40% drop rate, 8 farms a day, you get 16 shards per day and you clear content from the LS/DS table 30% faster. This has significant ramifications on the game's pace and economy, and a larger portion will face the scenario of a barren LS/DS table sooner, which is now mostly limited to folks who've been playing for a couple years.
    Still not a he.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    The change from 8 attempts to 5 attempts does not reduce the rate at which your roster grows.

Spending 150 crystals/day on energy (which many free players do, and it makes my math easier), you can maintain about 5 farms per day at 8 attempts. Assuming a 30% drop rate, then on average, those 40 sims will yield 12 shards.

Spending the same number of crystals on energy, and reducing the cap to 5, you can maintain about 8 parallel farms. At 30% drop rate, you get 12 shards on average. Your roster advances at the same rate. Either way, in about six months, you'll finish about eight characters, in a game that generally doesn't add characters to the table at that rate. You can reasonably make headway.

But at cap 5, 40% drop rate, 8 farms a day, you get 16 shards per day and you clear content from the LS/DS table 30% faster. This has significant ramifications on the game's pace and economy, and a larger portion will face the scenario of a barren LS/DS table sooner, which is now mostly limited to folks who've been playing for a couple years.

But take in to account the number of refreshes to farm continue that farm. I now have to spend additional crystals to get the ability to farm those shards. Instead of one refresh to get 16 attempts, I have to refresh twice to get 15 attempts. I get what you're saying, the drop rate doesn't change. But I'm saying to balance out those additional crystals that will be spent to get the same amount of attempts, increase the drop rate to do so.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    That has already been taken to account. And no. No, you do not have to spend additional crystals. Because you do not have to node refresh.

Node refreshes get you nothing. Not one thing. You have the opportunity to farm that same node again, but you could have farmed another node to get the same number of shards without getting crystals. When you node refresh, you are rushing in a way that is seldom wise. You are supposed to get less for node refreshing.

Also, the cap reduction was supposed to slow down people who node refresh. Particularly endgame players who don't have many alternatives left on the table and have little disincentive from rushing new content significantly faster than CG can put it out.
    Still not a he.
  • I'm one of those endgame players. Your arguments haven't changed mine or many other players feelings.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Stubbornness is not a badge of victory. They have valid reasons, and slowing down endgame players is one of them.
    Still not a he.
  • Actual drop rate on 5 attempts is 0 or 1 shard a day, maybe 2 on a good day. Without refreshing the node i need a year to bring one specific character to 7star. If i play every day. Unsatisfying. In one year the game will changed so dramatically, that i dont want this char anymore. Effect: I killed alot of time for nothing. Happend before, very frustrating.
    Bad design for mid or long time motivation.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Starkomat wrote: »
    Actual drop rate on 5 attempts is 0 or 1 shard a day, maybe 2 on a good day. Without refreshing the node i need a year to bring one specific character to 7star. If i play every day. Unsatisfying. In one year the game will changed so dramatically, that i dont want this char anymore. Effect: I killed alot of time for nothing. Happend before, very frustrating.
    Bad design for mid or long time motivation.
    The drop rate remains 1/3.

That means 50% of the time, you will get 0 or 1 shards. About a third of the time, you'll get 2 shards. About a sixth of the time, you'll get more. Average is 1 2/3 shard per day.

Starting at zero shards and with no other sources of shards (which is the exception, not the rules), that's 6.5 months to go to seven stars, and most characters are thoroughly usable before then.

Which units are you talking about who stop being useful? Because that's the exception, rather than the rule.
    Still not a he.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    It's like my dad is used to say about Christmas... "You can ask for anything you want to..."
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Ladislav
    114 posts Member
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Stubbornness is not a badge of victory. They have valid reasons, and slowing down endgame players is one of them.

Not everyone here is endgame player ...
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Ladislav wrote: »
    Not everyone here is endgame player ...
    Not everyone is an early game player. But oftentimes CG has to make design decisions for the entire game that do not impact every phase of the game equally.

A great deal of the, "Grah! CG is evil!" is because CG made a decision that favors one phase over another when any decision would have favored someone and if you look back they tend to rotate focus pretty well.

In this case? The decision slows down endgame players and minimally impacts new players, because new players have a vast selection of useful parallel farms and get the same amount of energy and therefore same number of total sims and therefore shards as they used to, keeping the rate at which their roster grows the same.
    Still not a he.