Single sim'ing vs. max sim'ing

Prev1
hardvig
73 posts Member
Hi guys
In my guild we have started looking into whether single sim'ing a bunch of times or max sim'ing a single time will yield better results.

I am almost certain that others have done some research into this subject..?

What were your results?

Replies

• Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Its the same result
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Anecdotally you'll hear people saying that they feel like they get better results with single or small batch (2-3 at a time) sims, but any time anyone has tracked the information they've found no significant difference.

Only time I do less than a max sim is when I'm trying to bullseye 600 energy.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Are you ok with
    2/8 + 3/8

or prefer to see
    1/3 + 0/3 +1/3 + 2/3 + 0/3 + 1/1
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Some would swear it single/2/3 simming yields much better results. Curiously those are also the ones that never provide a good comparative sample of droprates and the ones that run to forum to launch "the droprates are nerfed" topics.
  • What ultra and nic said.
    I am def in the boat of 2 at a time. It helps my mental state even if it’s all the same.
    But if I’m working through my lunch and have a busy day I just sim max to get through my dailies quick.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Ravenclaws wrote: »
    Are you ok with
    2/8 + 3/8

or prefer to see

This is the reason i simmed in smaller batches for a long time. Seeying 0/10 just sucks even if you get 6/10 the next batch.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Are you ok with
    2/8 + 3/8

or prefer to see

I think you mean

2/5 + 3/5

.... too soon?

Either way, yes you will see the same average come out at the end.

• There’s absolutely no difference no matter how many you do at a time, what time you do them, how many times you’ve prayed to Cthulhu, or any other superstitious variable you could think to introduce.

Just probability, bro.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Are you ok with
    2/8 + 3/8

or prefer to see

I think you mean

2/5 + 3/5

.... too soon?

Cold blooded kyno lolol
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Are you ok with
    2/8 + 3/8

or prefer to see

I think you mean

2/5 + 3/5

.... too soon?

oeffff
  • When was testing droprates I did not find any difference between long sims and short sims, but I did find that RNG is very streaky, giving you good luck / bad luck runs that can last a full day or even more. So while farming the vets I did many short sims, first sim with one of them and if I got a 0/3 I jumped to the other, if I got a 1/3 I kept on him and when energy runout I refreshed only if the day's droprate was higher than 1/3.
    Conclusion: I did not get the characters faster actually it took longer, but I wasted less energy in "bad luck" days and it let me farm a 3rd character. Even thou my opinion is that this is not worth in the long run because it takes longer and you will possible do not get them in time for the event you are farming them for.
  • 5x0 = 0+0+0+0+0
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    Are you ok with
    2/8 + 3/8

or prefer to see

This is the reason i simmed in smaller batches for a long time. Seeying 0/10 just sucks even if you get 6/10 the next batch.

Got alot off 0/10 and never saw 10/10.
    Clearly, simmind small amount is way better.

How does the first sentence lead to the 2nd one? xD

With a %30 droprate, obviously your chance to see a 10/10 is much lower than a 0/10.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    Are you ok with
    2/8 + 3/8

or prefer to see

Got alot off 0/10 and never saw 10/10.
    Clearly, simmind small amount is way better.

i know you're joking, but if you're completely oblivious this is one heck of a compelling argument ! haha
  • I always sim in small groups, usually 3. But not because of the drop rate, it's something psychological. If I see 0/8, I get angry. If I see 0/3, I think "let's see what happens now". I know it's silly and in the end the result will be the same, but that's how I like to play.
  • AndySCovell
    770 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    I have been simming smaller amounts forever and it does seem to work. I have massive mod depth and it allows you to get more colored mods instead of the white ones.
    Post edited by AndySCovell on
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    I do in batches of 4 tries
    In my mind and having a 33% per try I think I have more chance to get 1 share out of 4 tries. It is nonsense but I do it that way
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    If it's something I need a specific number of then I sim that number, otherwise it's just set to max, hit sim. I get higher than the accepted 33% average on my cantina drops so it directly contradicts everyone claiming otherwise.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    People have recorded and combined thousands of sims and the conclusion is that there is certainly an overall drop rate of 1/3 for shards and a % based on the energy cost of the lowest node which it appears in that doesn't change from node to node.

Now no one has made recordings of results at different numbers to see if the rate is adjusted based on where you are at (ie. 1/20 vs 19/20 or 1/65 vs 64/65) but if it is then it is larger than 1/3 in some and less than that in others to reach an overall balance of 1/3 shards or whatever the drop rate is for that level of gear salvage/pieces
  • Juzz wrote: »
    I do in batches of 4 tries
    In my mind and having a 33% per try I think I have more chance to get 1 share out of 4 tries. It is nonsense but I do it that way

I do this too. I acknowledge my habits are nonsensical but they just make me feel good on the inside. It's definitely 33% across the board, but hey, everyone has their superstitions (looking at all you Sports Ball fans) and this is mine.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    1. 3 by 3 by 3 or 5 by 5 by 5 is mentally satisfying for me.
    2. I don’t see 0/8 or 0/20, just 0/3. That’s less depression per sim.
    3. Do whatever you find most satisfactory, the drop rate doesn’t change.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    I just press max sim all the time, I dont even look at the rewards, cant get disappointed when you dont even know what the results are! :D
    I'll only start to observe when I'm closer to say 95/100
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    I just press max sim all the time, I dont even look at the rewards, cant get disappointed when you dont even know what the results are! :D
    I'll only start to observe when I'm closer to say 95/100

Genius
  • JMG680
    83 posts Member
    33% will work out the same no matter how you do it. 1 battle, 3 battles or 20. Over time it is going to yield the same results. You may notice the times you go 3 for 3 or 0 for 20 but in the end you will end up at 33%.
  • Ravenclaws wrote: »
    Are you ok with
    2/8 + 3/8

or prefer to see

except tonight it was more 0/3 0/3 0/3 0/3 1/3 just bad luck lol
  • I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.