Someone Has To Ask This... (Rant)

Prev13
SemiGod
3001 posts Member
edited April 2019
(Note: I'm not tryna justify EA's actions. That's not what I meant to get out of this post)

I get why everyone is freaking out over Malak and how f2p players are at a disadvantage but I just want to know this,

Would you rather have a "free" game that releases new content that you can spend money on to unlock "faster" or a dead game that recieves little to no updates at all.

Without having paywalls the game wont make money and in turn, wont recieve updates. (Looking at this from a business standpoint)

Ik I'm probably gonna get a lot of backlash but come on, someone has to ask it.

(P.S, many f2p players have gotten JKR on his second run, majority of the people in my guild (f2p) unlocked DR revan thanks to youtubers and the community. Also half of us have Malak because we prepared. So it's easy for a F2P player to get these charactors but people are just losing their mind because a game that is meant to take a while to progress in like many other games (ex. 2K, ****, GTA, Tycoon games, ect) just because they arent being handed the best charactors in the game.)

P.P.S (Getting #1 in arena is meant to be a challenge for F2P. Plus JKR is still meta so F2P has a chance still.)

P.P.P.S (People complain about the jedi meta getting boring then get angry because the meta is changing to sith Y'all just want something to complain about.)

P.P.P.P.S It's EA lmao they're literally known for this in every single game they own
P5.S The release was scummy and given short notice I'm just addressing the f2p complainers edit: the amount of people who didnt look here before stating something

P6.S The Palpatine counter stinks but DR + Malak is still beatable unlike JKR where we had to wait until DR came.
Post edited by SemiGod on

Replies

• gflegui
    294 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I don’t mind paywalls. I don’t like the change of rules. Every event was suppose to have a 7 day notification prior to the launch.This was a nasty move.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Options
    gflegui wrote: »
    I don’t mind paywalls. I don’t like the change of rules. Every event was suppose to have a 7 day notification prior to the launch.This was a nasty move.

Yea I agree with that.
  • DarthAndy
    105 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I don't think it's the paywall as such. We all understand that some people need to pay to keep this game going. They should absolutely get something for that money...

..and that's the problem. Those that paid to get DR basically get punked by this, rendering that spending less than worthwhile as DR won't function at the top level without DM.

Then the nature of the DM paywall means that a lot of people just can't or don't want to climb it on principle

They'll now think twice about spending at all and are understandably upset.

If the argument was purely about FTP then yeah, it wouldn't be much of an argument.

Also, it's just a d move and sets a terrifying precedent for some of the real star wars toons that'll be released in future. If they can pull this for DM, imagine what kind of insanity they'll pull for Jedi Luke or ninja ep ix Rey.

Lastly, less significantly, but important: Outside those older players that are able to save up by virtue of having unlocked most things, for most, this is a game of resource management and strategy. Those that carefully managed resources and used strategy to unlock JKR and DR are penalized as they'll likely have lower gear supporting chars that are much harder to g12 in a hurry.

Some of those that aren't very good at actually playing but just overload to compensate are rewarded. Again, the payers have to be rewarded to keep the game going, but it undermines some of the key principles that bring people to games like this.
  • Options
    If you can stretch resources to get Malek I would. Will be jkr 2.0
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Options
    DarthAndy wrote: »
    I don't think it's the paywall as such. We all understand that some people need to pay to keep this game going. They should absolutely get something for that money...

..and that's the problem. Those that paid to get DR basically get punked by this, rendering that spending less than worthwhile as DR won't function at the top level without DM.

Then the nature of the DM paywall means that a lot of people just can't or don't want to climb it.

If the argument was purely about FTP then yeah, it wouldn't be much of an argument.

Also, it's just a d move and sets a terrifying precedent for some of the real star wars toons that'll be released in future. If they can pull this for DM, imagine what kind of insanity they'll pull for Jedi Luke or matrix ep ix Rey

Yeah I'm basically get getting salty over the numerous angey posts I've seen regarding p2p players. I've gotten tired of them.
  • mali3538
    105 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Well i dont complain about that, i know game must live, i complain only for 8 to 5 sims...i stoped refreshing cause of that, i could get DR next time i have all meta except him (and Malak of course), but with this change i just lost interest.
    For 2 refreshes 9 sims less...that is 3 possible shards less per day..so i spread my energy to more heroes dont want to spend crystals on refreshes..this is my boycote and probably coause of that i only hurt myself.... :smiley:

And i see for first time, people payed and still cant get Malak...that is also wrong.

@SemiGod

Game is about recource menagement, F2P can get all new meta, of course probably not all, just need good resource menagement, and good prediction.

I am F2P
  • jjkriv
    429 posts Member
    Options
    Former dolphin here,I'm going f2p until the game drys up.This Malak **** took the greed to a whole new level..My number 1 reason tho is the mirror match teams in both arenas are way too RNG based speed doesnt matter facing revan teams,its astonishing watching a slow weaker yoda blast out a toon while your more powerful yoda plays with himself.
    The ship arena RNG is even worse,stars and speed mean NOTHING.I whaled up the Falcon only to see it still loose to 5 star falcons and 5,6 star bossks.
    -drop rated down to 5,now I just don't refresh,save your crystals.Why refresh and risk getting 0 shards?
    -Grievous rework was a money grab lie.Ya,new CW content coming but I'm not holding my breath he gets any better while bastilla got a new ability already.
    -Finn lead nerfed,better overall toon but now only 1 good resistance lead team,at least give Poe a better lead.I want my re-zeta back lol.
    Final thoughts-I'll log in,do my daily's,help the guild but my spending days are over,god bless the whales.
  • Options
    jjkriv wrote: »
    Former dolphin here,I'm going f2p until the game drys up.This Malak **** took the greed to a whole new level..My number 1 reason tho is the mirror match teams in both arenas are way too RNG based speed doesnt matter facing revan teams,its astonishing watching a slow weaker yoda blast out a toon while your more powerful yoda plays with himself.
    The ship arena RNG is even worse,stars and speed mean NOTHING.I whaled up the Falcon only to see it still loose to 5 star falcons and 5,6 star bossks.
    -drop rated down to 5,now I just don't refresh,save your crystals.Why refresh and risk getting 0 shards?
    -Grievous rework was a money grab lie.Ya,new CW content coming but I'm not holding my breath he gets any better while bastilla got a new ability already.
    -Finn lead nerfed,better overall toon but now only 1 good resistance lead team,at least give Poe a better lead.I want my re-zeta back lol.
    Final thoughts-I'll log in,do my daily's,help the guild but my spending days are over,god bless the whales.

Wow, like its the worst when just having better speed mods isnt the deciding factor. because we all know speed is king. You'll just have to play and be better at that than others to win
    by that logic you were always risking 0 drops.
    Grevious wasnt a huge let down, like everyone on here likes to claim. But he wasnt the best in arena with under starred teams without gear.
    Were you really running two resistance teams?
  • Options
    jjkriv wrote: »

Wow, like its the worst when just having better speed mods isnt the deciding factor. because we all know speed is king. You'll just have to play and be better at that than others to win
    by that logic you were always risking 0 drops.
    Grevious wasnt a huge let down, like everyone on here likes to claim. But he wasnt the best in arena with under starred teams without gear.
    Were you really running two resistance teams?

2 Resistance teams is easy to field. 1 on Offense and one Def for both GA and TW. Rose I ram my buddy from outta no where Tico stuns and Poe and Purple Hair my mom is super famous and I was in Jurassic Park Holdo are superb tanks under Finn. Resistance Pilot is actually good under these conditions since two taunts protect her.
  • Options
    I simply cannot understand the defenders and detractors obsession with binaries. Whales aren't evil and ftp don't want immediate access.

I can understand that perhaps sales goals were lackluster with previously released toons and I can even understand why the gp was raised to prevent cheaters from getting the toon.

What I think most people don't get is the timing of the event. Little to no warning which violated the spirit of the process they themselves laid out.

All they had to do was announce Malak a week prior to the upcoming JKR event and there'd still be panic farming and whaling out on previously unseen scales. It would also give those FTP and dolphins to attempt to gear up for the event. 90% would be incapable of meeting the requirements but they'd at least have felt respected. And that's what's really upsetting to many in the community the feeling of being disrespected. And let's be honest enough to acknowledge they feel that way because it's true.
  • miketo
    139 posts Member
    Options
    I am loving the difficulty in the challenge of unlocking darth revan and darth malak. I got JKR on the second pass. JKR, Jolee and Bastilla are all gear 12 and meet the 17400 power requirement. Will need to put some time into zaalbar and mission at some point. Currently though, still farming toons for darth revan and darth revan's gear. While the farming is going on I am gearing up HK47.
    Will save currency to buy darth malak shards. My ftp dedication will hopefully pay off. We will see in two or three months.
    Not sure why a lot of people wants everything to be so easy. Easy just means everyone has him.
    Set goals and strive for them. Good philosophy for swgoh and life.
  • Options
    Nobody wants easy. Desiring respect isn't wanting easy. Seriously just having announced the event a week prior to the next JKR event would have eliminated a whole lot of angst and bitterness for the community as a whole. And if people are not concerned about how this event went down they should be because it is just the tip of the iceberg of what's to come. I really wish people would stop misrepresenting both ftp and whales. Whales aren't the sole income for the game. Dolphins probably pump more revenue into the game than whaled. The game doesn't need us whales. It just doesn't. But making dolphins less likely to spend on potentially disastrous. The whole reasoning behind this event is just faulty on the long term. But companies generally prefer short term gains to long term profit.
  • Options
    My issue with this release has to simply do with what we are rewarded for our efforts. We get a 5 star character that gets slapped around in the arena at the moment, has a new gear paywall after having the hardest event in history, can’t use him in raids. Pretty much my only option for my g10 malak is to mess around in galactic wars. To top it off none of the 4 achievements and 1 quest based around malak give us any sort of real reward aside from a title and a picture. To require ALL that it does we really aren’t getting a fair return
  • Options
    If they would have made the event longer or given us more notice I would have invested to get malak just like I did jkr and dr but the short notice I just couldn’t do it, it’s like they didn’t even want my money lol
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Dagonsith wrote: »
    I simply cannot understand the defenders and detractors obsession with binaries. Whales aren't evil and ftp don't want immediate access.

I can understand that perhaps sales goals were lackluster with previously released toons and I can even understand why the gp was raised to prevent cheaters from getting the toon.

What I think most people don't get is the timing of the event. Little to no warning which violated the spirit of the process they themselves laid out.

All they had to do was announce Malak a week prior to the upcoming JKR event and there'd still be panic farming and whaling out on previously unseen scales. It would also give those FTP and dolphins to attempt to gear up for the event. 90% would be incapable of meeting the requirements but they'd at least have felt respected. And that's what's really upsetting to many in the community the feeling of being disrespected. And let's be honest enough to acknowledge they feel that way because it's true.

I don't understand the logic by NOT announcing the event a week in advance either.
    I do however think that even if they announced malak a week in advance, there wouldn't have been that much less complaining on the forum. I think there are people complaining about the week's notice just because it's a valid complaint, but they wouldn't have been ready either way, so they would have just complained about a different aspect of the release like the 17.500 GP thingy.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I think the thread-starter misses the point. The Malak deal doesn't particularly put f2p at a disadvantage. It puts whales at a disadvantage. It puts even krakens at a disadvantage. They're being milked like Luke milked those weird fat walrus things.
  • Options
    I play this game for the challenge of competing against whales as a hard core f2p. After depleting almost all my store currency I got Malek and have nothing really left except 9k in crystals which doesn't go far. I think they nailed the right difficulty and resource management level. If anything it could have been a little harder because I expect as a f2p to miss out occasionally on new releases if I make the slightest error. To all you haters reassess your resource management skills because that's the root problem, not EA.
  • cboath7
    461 posts Member
    Options
    Where the F2P gets put at a disadvantage is like 6 new legendaries in 8 months. There was zero hint that the raise to 8 HM tries was solely for two revans which you'd need to get Malak. If that notice came, but could have prioritized what they wanted to farm. But no, we through in more. Fan favorites like Chewy and 3po who people want to get so they farm those, only to have DR dropped at the tail end and the 8 tries yanked at the same time.

So, get them working on a bunch of things then drop yet another at the end to try and leverage open wallets.

And, this game is not remotely P2P, it's P2W. P2P is everyone pays 10 bucks a month or something in order to be able to simply play with an even playing field.

Putting things behind paywalls is sad IMO and then taking a character and slapping it behind a guild wall where only top level guilds have a real shot. What percentage of players are in guilds pushing 40 starts per battle? A very small percentage.

The defense of P2W under the 'they have to make a profit' doesn't add up. If everyone under the level dolphin just up and quit, the game would be dead.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    cboath7 wrote: »
    And, this game is not remotely P2P, it's P2W. P2P is everyone pays 10 bucks a month or something in order to be able to simply play with an even playing field.

p2w and p2p are made up terms, it seems not everyone uses the same definition. Heck, some people even call themselves f2p eventhough they've spend money on the game.
    It's a freemium game in which you can pay to get an advantage which doesn't necesarily lead to winning, nor is paying required to win.
  • Options
    6Delara6 wrote: »
    I got Malek and have nothing really left except 9k in crystals...

Er...nothing? :open_mouth:
    leef wrote: »
    ...nor is paying required to win.

Er...

• cboath7
    461 posts Member
    Options
    cboath7 wrote: »

p2w and p2p are made up terms, it seems not everyone uses the same definition. Heck, some people even call themselves f2p eventhough they've spend money on the game.
    It's a freemium game in which you can pay to get an advantage which doesn't necesarily lead to winning, nor is paying required to win.

Depends on your definition of win. What are the odds of a F2P person holding down the top spot in arena? it's not impossible, but the odds are very stacked against it when people can spend like drunken sailors to get better stuff than you.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    ...nor is paying required to win.

Er...

I'm completely f2p and i've been ranking high in squad pretty much the entire time i've been playing. My win/loss ratio in GA is currently 28/3. I suck at fleet though, but that's not because i'm f2p. I've completed every event there is ingame and get max waves on both TB maps.
    Those are things i could come up with that could be considered "winning". So yea, paying isn't required to win if you ask me.
  • Options

Then the nature of the DM paywall means that a lot of people just can't or don't want to climb it on principle

Also, it's just a d move and sets a terrifying precedent for some of the real star wars toons that'll be released in future. If they can pull this for DM, imagine what kind of insanity they'll pull for Jedi Luke or ninja ep ix Rey.

Lastly, less significantly, but important: Outside those older players that are able to save up by virtue of having unlocked most things, for most, this is a game of resource management and strategy. Those that carefully managed resources and used strategy to unlock JKR and DR are penalized as they'll likely have lower gear supporting chars that are much harder to g12 in a hurry.

Some of those that aren't very good at actually playing but just overload to compensate are rewarded. Again, the payers have to be rewarded to keep the game going, but it undermines some of the key principles that bring people to games like this.

This guy gets it. It’s completely the timing. I dropped cash on DR and would have probably dropped more to get DM if they had timed it better. Here’s how CG rewarded those who unlocked DR:

1. Two new pieces of gear required that cost near 6,000 crystals to obtain
    2. A buffed Bastilla to make JKR teams even more OP making DR less relevant
    3. The Malak Wall of Doom. Literally two weeks after DR, requiring insanity to even have a shot at a critical toon for the DR team. Arena the past 2 weeks has been great with many compositions of teams. But CG couldn’t help themselves. This is why we can’t have nice things.

So yeah. Those of us who dropped cash but aren’t irresponsible enough to drop even more for Malak were disrespected by CG. Why drop money again when this will probably happen again? It was the worst move they could have made at this time. Less incentive to spend now 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Options
    Honestly the Paywall is steep on Malak. However if they wanted to be full flown money hungry... They would have put the remaining 2 shards in a place we could spend money... Personally I am more furious over needing to buy the rest of my shards in the Guild Event store! Like **** does my guild have to do with me getting Malak!? Also for those who dont know 15 Malak shards are 5700!!!!
  • Options

This ^^
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Personally I'm happy they're putting Malak shards in GET store. I've hoarded 200k of that currency ever since they've said they might add a character to that store. And now I'm laughing all the way to the bank knowing that I wasnt being an obsessive hoarder and it actually came to use.

If Malak had cost even more crystals rather than a different currency, I think it's a good bet that there will be much less F2P that acquire him.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    This game has been remarkably consistent for the last three+ years, I'm surprised no one picks up on it without having to have it spelled out for them:

Darth Malak isn't released yet. Darth Malak's release date will be a couple months from now, when the event returns for the second time.

Characters are announced and then people who have the requisites are rewarded for either their foresight or their spending habits. You may think it only rewards spenders, but consider BB-8, which was released when First Order were all hard farms, Darth Revan, who had ample farming time, C-3P0 and Chewbacca, the requirements for whom have been in the game forever. People whined and kvetched that they had to gear up "useless teams" to get all these characters and complained that if they'd known they'd need these teams they'd have farmed them earlier.

That's the point. Most (not all, sure, but most) characters are available to players that don't pay from their initil release. This rewards people who don't just follow a farming guide and do their own thing instead. It incentivises people to farm obscure characters because either A) They're banking on that character being useful in the future, or B) They just like that character.

Those folks, and I'm sometimes one of them--BB-8 was the last one I got to 7* on the first try, got C-3P0 to 6 (and fell off on gearing and failed to 7* on the second try :( ) and Chewbacca to 5* though--should be rewarded. Since this game isn't UNICEF, people are free to buy their way to the top, too, so if they want to drop a paycheck then so be it--I'm not saying they should be rewarded, to be clear, just that they should be able to do that. After all, they're the ones that keep the game afloat.

But, ultimately, Malak will be released for real in a couple months. You know what you need to do to get him now, so stop complaining and start working on it.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    This game has been remarkably consistent for the last three+ years, I'm surprised no one picks up on it without having to have it spelled out for them:

Darth Malak isn't released yet. Darth Malak's release date will be a couple months from now, when the event returns for the second time.

Characters are announced and then people who have the requisites are rewarded for either their foresight or their spending habits. You may think it only rewards spenders, but consider BB-8, which was released when First Order were all hard farms, Darth Revan, who had ample farming time, C-3P0 and Chewbacca, the requirements for whom have been in the game forever. People whined and kvetched that they had to gear up "useless teams" to get all these characters and complained that if they'd known they'd need these teams they'd have farmed them earlier.

That's the point. Most (not all, sure, but most) characters are available to players that don't pay from their initil release. This rewards people who don't just follow a farming guide and do their own thing instead. It incentivises people to farm obscure characters because either A) They're banking on that character being useful in the future, or B) They just like that character.

Those folks, and I'm sometimes one of them--BB-8 was the last one I got to 7* on the first try, got C-3P0 to 6 (and fell off on gearing and failed to 7* on the second try :( ) and Chewbacca to 5* though--should be rewarded. Since this game isn't UNICEF, people are free to buy their way to the top, too, so if they want to drop a paycheck then so be it--I'm not saying they should be rewarded, to be clear, just that they should be able to do that. After all, they're the ones that keep the game afloat.

But, ultimately, Malak will be released for real in a couple months. You know what you need to do to get him now, so stop complaining and start working on it.

Amazing. Everything you just said in the first two paragraphs is wrong.