Malak event was too hard

Prev1
Niborg
12 posts Member
I’m not sure who to direct this too, but I felt the event was way too hard.
I can post pics. But I think the “game” is relying on good RnG at some point, rather than making the event fun and playable.
As an example, and I can post pics (I documented my trials on line) I made more that 100 runs. I have all G12 and missing only Zaalbars zeta. All with 5 dot gold mods, most with 6 dots. Basically, no reason that I shouldn’t have been able to complete. And I have completed everything else in the game, so I feel I’m a competent player. I watched all the game changers videos and well and several independent ones. Let me explain how I can do every run or basically how every run went.... and I have them memorized, I can do the same thing every time,
Mission goes and ability blocks a droid, zaalbar goes and armor shreds Malak. Revan goes and calls a group attack on the Jedi on the right inside. Bastila goes and sends in zaalbar/ mission assist, Jolee heals or fixes up zaalbar. When no droids appear, I hit 1 Jedi 1 time. This goes on for about 10 mins. And here is what I end up with...
Malak drains the stasis Jedi on the right front. All other Jedi I eventually end up killing.
I can have anywhere from 6-8 stacks of armor shred on him. Usually 8.
I have his rage count anywhere from 12-16.
When Droids are present, I kill them to reduce rage stacks.
Here is the basic end result...
Malak goes every other turn, no matter what, even when I use turn meter reductions on him of have him timed to not be able to go. My big damages (call to assists and mission assisting) do no more than 20% of his total health. And regardless of Malak’s health (100%-25%) he will drain life and heal 50% of his life every other turn no matter what, draining 50% of the life from whomever he decides to drain from. Usually he drains zaalbar, mission, Jolee, revan, Bastila.
Most, if not all of the videos I watched involved some sort of “luck” or good RnG towards the end, either hoping he only healed a little bit (I have had him go from red to green about 20 times) or hoping he doesn’t heal at all and attacks (which he stops doing once the Jedi and dead).
So here is what I’m looking at, I can do no more than 25% damage every other turn. He heals and kills at 50% every other turn. Simple math says I’ll never
Catch up.
Then only thing I can do is hope for good RnG. But if that doesn’t happen, then basically regardless of how well I play and gear my characters, it doesn’t matter. And that seems very unfair.
Just posting this because I am others feel the same way. I really feel like this is supposed to be a fun, friendly game for all ages and skill levels and if you put in the time and work, you’ll be rewarded. Apparently, that is not the case.

Replies

• JVU420
    429 posts Member
    I like the challenge. So please put more events as tough as this.
  • DeepChu
    185 posts Member
    You actually need good RNG but for this: when you finally got him where you want him (4+ armor shred, <10 rage count if possible and almost in 50% of life) you need bastila TM at 100%, revan TM at 99% and jolee TM at 98% so bastila buffs and calls revan, revan calls bastila for double attack and jolee calls revan for attack.

If you use the offense mods of yoda in Revan, that helps.

I did it without mission in about one hour. Still horrible design with too much RNG involved and, most important, you need really good mods to do it.

I have some teammates that couldn't finish it after +10 hours trying.
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    The light side part was indeed challenging, but if you managed to get your cooldowns on the right time, the RNG factor could be minimized. It required quite some strategy. 8 armor shreds is probably an overkill, by the way. It seemed more efficient to me to have 4-5 and 1 on each droid. Enrage countdown was better to be kept at single digits.
    As for the dark side version, it was ridiculously easy. I replayed it another 3 times after beating it on first attempt, just to try and get as many stacks as possible to see how close I can get to one-hitting Malak. LS took me over two hours.

Overall, it still seemed like a rather balanced event. I definitely liked it more than Thrawn, Chewy or C3.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Wins:
    Event was tough
    GP needed was exciting not requiring a ton of rng(definitely some) but mostly skill and strategy.

Losses:
    2 day notice
    Only 5 stars, toughest requirements ever and only get a 5 star character.
  • Foxer
    461 posts Member
    I liked it.... didn’t need to buy a marquee to participate. Toons were almost all where they needed to be to get the Revans anyway... Used a zeta on Zalbaar, event took some thinking but did the dark side on first try and with some mods moved and Adding Zalbaar zeta did it in 4 runs.

I think many complain no matter what the event is..... do you not remember a few months ago with 8 Marquees in a row(almost) they only way to get them was to buy. There has been a ton of FTP action lately, specially for people who store their gear until needed.

I’m in major restock mode now but it was fun and was able to spend my many saved zetas finally.
  • Niborg
    12 posts Member
    you need bastila TM at 100%, revan TM at 99% and jolee TM at 98% so bastila buffs and calls revan, revan calls bastila for double attack and jolee calls revan for attack.

I had this situation, it didn’t matter, even with 0 TM and everybody at 100% TM, he went every other turn. And only uses Heath steal regardless of the situation. No matter what, every other turn, Heath steal 50%.

If you use the offense mods of yoda in Revan, that helps.
    I did this. Offense and health. All mods with speed.

I laterally posted step by step in LINE with people helping me and every run had a comment like, oh, usually he doesn’t do that, or sometimes you’ll get good RnG and will do more.

But I will continue to try when the event comes out again. And thank you for posting and trying to help.
  • Niborg
    12 posts Member
    edited April 2019

mwed3uzwb98q.png
    c013tk41h921.png
    r3nrbfaqqixt.png
  • Niborg
    12 posts Member
    Just some examples, but in every case here, Malak take the next turn regardless of TM and siphons to full health or close and kills somebody. Then I go. Then he goes. And so on
  • Blindfate
    8 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Niborg wrote: »
    k3vpo4elyrww.png
    mwed3uzwb98q.png
    c013tk41h921.png
    r3nrbfaqqixt.png

Um...Malak absorbed three Jedi in this picture - of course you're not going to win. You need to kill 3 of the 4. Leave the crit immunity Jedi (right side) for Malak to absorb.
  • Niborg
    12 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    And I want to make it clear. I liked the event. I liked the fact it was challenging. I just think finishing the event is based to heavily on RnG. Once you have the sequence or the puzzle solved and you're properly and/overly geared, you shouldnt then have to hope for bunch of lucky breaks to win. That’s all I’m saying.
  • I've heard like 11k people got him and that was before the event even ended. Seemed like it wasn't "too hard" but was difficult which is what it should be. There need to be good hard challenges like this in games.
  • You made the same mistake I did on my first run.
    Thinking you’re killing the Jedi but your not he’s absorbing them. Basically, every time he falls below 50% health he absorbs a Jedi. So if you’re using Revan aoe (very bad idea) then he’s gonna absorb the jedis. He’s unbeatable when you fight him with all 4 unique buffs. He literally needs 0 or at worst just the crit immunity one. It takes patience. Don’t aoe, keep hitting the droids, slowly get the jedis down. Don’t hit malak except when there’s no droid or jedis. Arne shores isn’t the be all and end all. I placed on side droids as oppose to malak. Only 1 on malak when I completed it and I didn’t have mission. It’s patience more than rng I think. Took about 5 runs to get it right, 15-20 minutes each time.
    mwed3uzwb98q.png
    c013tk41h921.png
    r3nrbfaqqixt.png

• Too many stacks on Malak to win in those pics. Should have kept stacks to under 10, don't let Jedi get absorbed (no AOE), shred the heck out of the droids so you could have kept stacks down. Sorry you didn't get Malak...looks like you were close though (if that helps at all). A little different strategy and you'd have your 5* Malak (soon to be 7* in a few months).
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    "This will be our hardest event yet""

- complains about the event difficulty

Just because you arent skilled enough to complete something difficult doesnt mean everyone else is. Events like GMY were a bore as there was no challenge. While Chewie and malak were actually fun because it required you to think.

If you dislike having to work for something then that's on you.
  • Niborg
    12 posts Member
    I’m getting a ton of great feedback. Thank you all. I will definitely be using all this info.

And I’m not mad, I’m not quitting, I whale when I want to and just really enjoy this game. I started playing March 2, 2017 and my GP is 4.3. So I don’t want this to sound like a protest lol.

Love my guild, this community and the game and will continue to play.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    You can replay the event as much as you like after beating it, so I kept playing it after getting Malak to try and work on strategy for my guild.

Light Side was definitely challenging, and I had two main strategies. In both strategies I let him absorb the Jedi on the far right - thus gaining Tenacity Up. This meant that my Mission and Zaalbar could not apply Damage Over Time effects, so they wouldn't gain fear whenever they attacked Malak.

I never let him absorb the two Jedi on the left - but I beat it both with him absorbing the "Crit Immunity" Jedi and not. When I let him absorb the Crit Jedi, I had to get Zaalbar to put 4 Armor Shreds on Malak before he absorbed the Jedi (since you can't crit after, thus no more armor shred).

In both scenarios, you have to get Malak just above 50% health, and then blast him hard. With Crit Immunity you won't have any of your team get Fear, but the hits are lower. Without Crit Immunity, you can land some really big hits, but you get fewer. I found those two scenarios balanced out. The only "RNG" I found after that was whether he Drained Life from Zaalbar or Jolee. Since those two have the highest health pools, they healed Malak the most. Regardless, if the drain keeps Malak below 50%, you should be golden. At that point, just blast away.
  • OrpheusRobot
    238 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Also dat blue box count 25 on malak. you're not going to win. keep killing the side droids to get that count down and keep on $$$hredding!

• Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    No it was not. It was very challenging and I like it. Just like HSR in its very early days.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    I loved the event.....actually felt like I earned something when I finished it.
  • Kelarn
    161 posts Member
    Loaded Revan, Bastilla and Mission with Offense primary mods.. didn't matter what set they were from, just needed that % offense (had a 4 set off bonus on R and M for extra boost, though). Zal was as fast as I could get him, and Jolee was also all about speed.

Opened with armor shred, cleared the droids, then worked the crit immunity down to yellow. At that point you can use Revan AoE.. keep shredding, droid killing and he'll absorb Crit.. repeat process on Tenacity so that dots won't result in fear. Kill the 2 pods on the left when he has 5 or more shreds, then gun it.

You need to knock him far enough into the yellow that his first drain won't take him back into green and reset the cooldown. If you can do that, you should be golden. It took me a lot of attempts until I squeezed out as much offense as possible.. eventually beat it with the whole team still standing. GL next time around!

Side note: Crit Immunity will not prevent armor shred, so get that one out of the way asap.
  • I enjoyed the harder content when its to easy it dosent feel very rewarding
  • I enjoyed the harder content! Hope CG continues with it and leaves out the power requirement
    IGN: RANKMAN
    Line: xSNAKEMAN
  • IC3M4N
    267 posts Member
    You made the same mistake I did on my first run.
    Thinking you’re killing the Jedi but your not he’s absorbing them. Basically, every time he falls below 50% health he absorbs a Jedi. So if you’re using Revan aoe (very bad idea) then he’s gonna absorb the jedis. He’s unbeatable when you fight him with all 4 unique buffs. He literally needs 0 or at worst just the crit immunity one. It takes patience. Don’t aoe, keep hitting the droids, slowly get the jedis down. Don’t hit malak except when there’s no droid or jedis. Arne shores isn’t the be all and end all. I placed on side droids as oppose to malak. Only 1 on malak when I completed it and I didn’t have mission. It’s patience more than rng I think. Took about 5 runs to get it right, 15-20 minutes each time.
    mwed3uzwb98q.png
    c013tk41h921.png
    r3nrbfaqqixt.png

i also made this mistake on my first couple runs, but then i was told different by guild mates
  • Thank you so much for your positive posts. Apparently I needed more strategy and advice. Perhaps I will get him next time around.
    Thanks again for all your help.
  • I don't understand people calling this event hard. It wasn't hard, it was just RNG. Excatly the same as previous "hard" events. Requiring the right RNG doesn't make an event difficult, it just makes it tedious.
  • I don’t know who is giving the strategy but every video and picture is wrong.

You DO NOT leave the last crit immunity buff jedi as the last Jedi. You make him get **** up as number three and kill the fourth. Hopefully you kept the boss near +50% and burst him down from there.

Light side is a long fight but not hard at all. Try not to watch strategy videos made 4 am in the morning. No one will be thinking at peak performance.
  • Austin9370 wrote: »

Higher gear and better strategy makes the event less RNG dependent.

I think too many forget that part.

Less is subjective. Sure it makes some difference, but I've heard from too many with maxed out OR who still spent hours to beat it. Less RNG also doesn't mean it isn't just tedious for the sake of being tedious. It certainly doesn't mean it is somehow difficult.