Seeking Balance?

From the latest road ahead:

"There will always be some pretty dominant characters, but our hope is that a variety of competitive teams filter into the community over time, and that the primary “meta” of the game becomes a little bit more balanced in the future. While it may not be a true rock-paper-scissors meta, and while it will take some time to execute, this is the targeted end state - this end state is a reflection on some of the competitive gameplay changes we’ve slowly been making as well."

This is a good message, and would be good for the game--but it's clearly not being bought into.

Case in point: Nerfing the zzEP Malak counter. This is just the latest in a long line of examples of nerfing elements of the game that actually bring balance in favor of protecting the New Big Thing.

Not a unique opinion, I'm sure, and almost certainly not the first post, but I did want to add one more voice to the issue.

Seeking balance is good--great, in fact; it makes the game far more interesting and will command eyeballs for longer.

Claiming to seek balance while undermining it actively is ultimately self-defeating. This latest nerf, for example, limits the design space and makes new Sith teams handicapped from before conception--so not only is balance undermined, but development and theory crafters are also handicapped from the get-go, and all to make sure that the new Darth Revan/Malak combo is impregnable except in mirror situations (to all appearances, at any rate)?

What is wrong with competitive advantage within a broadly balanced realm? Why the need to create periodic insurmountable advantages?

Apart from the obvious reason, I mean.

Replies

• They said diverse in the future so my guess is jkr dr and only future releases (probably behind pay wall) so 3+ months from now while old metas/toons bring nothing to cg/ea so they probably dont want it but only metas that net money. So no reason in there eyes for a old ftp toon EMP to beat dr/malak cause if every new toon got beat by obsolete metas whats the point for players to chase them and spend money on them so in thst point malaks rework makes since in a business point of veiw but to do it how they did not the greatest could have made him immune to shock/healing immunity and gain max hp when ever fear is applied annd a pretaunt to his taunt unique and added when ever the enemy team gains tm malak gain equal tm or whenever a sith empire ally dies he gain taunt and fears the enemy team which causes u to go after him first making it annoying not as broken but still could stop emp
  • Balance doesn't mean anyone can beat anyone.

It means the paywall characters can beat each other, so you need all of them to compete in GA/TW
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Jubai
    112 posts Member
    Another rushed decision by someone who obviously doesn't play this game....
    High 5 CG, GG.....

If your objective is too alienate your player base then your are fast on the road to doing that....

EA are at the wheel. A company who prioritize LGBTQ over sense, a company that would kill a game franchise over forced inclusions, a game company who who would rather take the word of people who dont actually buy their games over loyal long standing gamers....

Gotta love the social media era and people wanting to been seen as doing the right thing instead of actually doing it.
  • Another example, buffing JKR/bastilla so cls can longer beat that team. Means now only DR and possibly paid droids can beat it, i.e. paid teams