Balance in "the future"

I really am holding out hope that we will see a diverse meta in the future as CG has stated in thier road ahead blog post. I think they may have a bigger picture in mind we can't see yet.

With that being said, everything about Malak seems really off to me. He was released with a 24hr period of notice which goes against CG policy. And he immediately receives a rework/buff.

And not just any buff, instead of making Malak a better character CG decided to nerf an entire faction all for the sake of one toon. I just don't get it to be honest. I understand they are looking for revenue but man.

I guess Leia was right. Hope is like the sun, if you need to see it to believe in it then you'll never last through the night. Here's to hoping.

Replies

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    If they really wanted a balanced, diverse meta, they wouldn't destroy it right after it emerges. That road ahead is PR talk, nothing more, and Carrie even admitted that we won't get "true rock-paper-scissors meta". That alone is enough of a warning sign, if you take the recent changes into account, it's more than clear.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    If they really wanted a balanced, diverse meta, they wouldn't destroy it right after it emerges. That road ahead is PR talk, nothing more, and Carrie even admitted that we won't get "true rock-paper-scissors meta". That alone is enough of a warning sign, if you take the recent changes into account, it's more than clear.

This. Simply put, in the road ahead they lied to us. 5 days before shutting down the possible "variety" they spoke about. The Malak change is not only proof that they have no intention of actually creating a diverse meta, it's also proof that the meta going forward is going to be determined by CG - not the players and be dictated to us by new releases...on single-character dominant meta at a time.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Having a few teams compete for top ranks is fine. But even rock-paper-scissors implies only three teams.
    While Palpatine beating DR, DR beating JKR and JKR beating Palps seemed like a good format, what people didn't realise (or they did) is that the Palpatine teams are beatable by most B-tier teams as well. Having way too many viable teams is not a solid option either, as in complete opposition with the one-meta system, it does not reward investment in any form. What is the point of having the latest toons if a one year old BH team can climb on the back of Palpatine all the way to the top ranks?
    While the situation depicted above might not have been a common occurence in the past few days, without the Malak change the arena might have become too diverse in the near future for any paying player to consider investing in new toons again.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Having a few teams compete for top ranks is fine. But even rock-paper-scissors implies only three teams.
    While Palpatine beating DR, DR beating JKR and JKR beating Palps seemed like a good format, what people didn't realise (or they did) is that the Palpatine teams are beatable by most B-tier teams as well. Having way too many viable teams is not a solid option either, as in complete opposition with the one-meta system, it does not reward investment in any form. What is the point of having the latest toons if a one year old BH team can climb on the back of Palpatine all the way to the top ranks?
    While the situation depicted above might not have been a common occurence in the past few days, without the Malak change the arena might have become too diverse in the near future for any paying player to consider investing in new toons again.

Except those B-tier teams would get filtered out by being targeted by everyone else and are generally worse at beating EP than JKR is.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Having a few teams compete for top ranks is fine. But even rock-paper-scissors implies only three teams.

I get the logic here, but those B-tier teams would be limited to only targeting EP since most wouldn't be able to beat either of the Revans. I think we can safely assume that with the EP squads being relentlessly targeted, people would be compelled not to leave them on defense lest they drop like a wet sack of batteries.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png