Regarding Changes to Malak- Sith Assasin

Prev13
Everyone who invested their resources (including MONEY) to Sith Assasin needs a refund now after these changes to Darth Malak. This is unethical otherwise, you're own synergy chart guided players to use Sith Assasin with Darth Revan and your change to Malak makes her character useless and a wasted character in a Darth Revan squad. You cannot show a toon to be good with another and then change a character (post-release I might add...) and think its water under the bridge.

Replies

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Don't forget everyone should get a refund of Scavenger Rey, since C3PO replaces her in the Heroic Sith raid p1 squd. Oh, and a refund for all gear in Resistance Trooper because he's been replaced by Finn now. Let's refund Jedi Knight Revan, since he's been replaced by Darth Revan, so now he's worthless.

Or maybe...just maybe...we realize that the game changes and evolves, and that just because a character isn't useful in one specific circumstance (which is literally only not valuable attacking teams with Malak) - that doesn't mean the character is "useless" and "wasted."
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    I want a refund of my sith assassin. I geared her back when I ran Nihilis lead in arena, but then when Commander Luke was released it made her useless.

Still a good character to use for Sith teams in Territory Wars and Grand Arena, under Palpatine, Maul, etc.
  • StarSon
    7430 posts Member
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Don't forget everyone should get a refund of Scavenger Rey, since C3PO replaces her in the Heroic Sith raid p1 squd. Oh, and a refund for all gear in Resistance Trooper because he's been replaced by Finn now. Let's refund Jedi Knight Revan, since he's been replaced by Darth Revan, so now he's worthless.

Or maybe...just maybe...we realize that the game changes and evolves, and that just because a character isn't useful in one specific circumstance (which is literally only not valuable attacking teams with Malak) - that doesn't mean the character is "useless" and "wasted."

These are all poor examples. Sith Assassin (and to a less extent Sith Marauder) were both garbage characters until Darth Revan. Then, not only were they not garbage, they were arena meta. Further, CG themselves used them as examples for the Darth Revan teams! Then, a couple weeks later, they remove Sith Assassin's single trick in mirrors (which is the only place it matters).

Not even kind of like those things you listed.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

The game evolving over time, and a character that was changed days after he is released to purposely destroy the best strategy people came up with are two different things. I'm very happy with lots of characters that I geared up, got to use in arena for a few months, then pushed to the back burner after I got plenty of use out of them. Anyone who put g12+ pieces on Vader and Sith Assassin got a few days of use got short changed. That kind of thing feels like a kick in the groin, and makes customers cautious about spending. CG won't do anything about it though, because they don't care about how they treat their customers.
  • Refund. Now.
    jkray622 needs analogy lessons.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »

These are all poor examples. Sith Assassin (and to a less extent Sith Marauder) were both garbage characters until Darth Revan. Then, not only were they not garbage, they were arena meta. Further, CG themselves used them as examples for the Darth Revan teams! Then, a couple weeks later, they remove Sith Assassin's single trick in mirrors (which is the only place it matters).

Not even kind of like those things you listed.

No, I'm using ridiculous examples to try and help the OP realize how unreasonable his "request" is. No one would think that Rey should be refunded because of C3PO, so no one should think Assassin should be refunded just because of Malak's kit.

We didn't get Palpatine's kit refunded when Bastila (light) was released. She basically shut him down hard.

Sith Assassin and Marauder are both great characters to use under Darth Revan lead. They lose some functionality when they fight a squad with Malak - but they are completely unchanged when fighting all other squads. (or after you kill Malak).

As it is, I still use Marauder in my arena team, and his massive offense still wins even if he doesn't gain as much turn meter.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    The game evolving over time, and a character that was changed days after he is released to purposely destroy the best strategy people came up with are two different things. I'm very happy with lots of characters that I geared up, got to use in arena for a few months, then pushed to the back burner after I got plenty of use out of them. Anyone who put g12+ pieces on Vader and Sith Assassin got a few days of use got short changed. That kind of thing feels like a kick in the groin, and makes customers cautious about spending. CG won't do anything about it though, because they don't care about how they treat their customers.

So what you're saying is...if Malak's kit had included the "Sith enemies can't gain bonus turn meter" on initial release, nobody would be complaining about Assassin?

Which is the main concern - that his kit was changed so quickly, or that his kit will shut down enemy Sith tm gain?

Where are the concerns about Vader being neutralized by Malak's application of fear when he uses Force Crush? Shouldn't we all get a Vader refund now that he's worthless?
  • Fauztin
    1332 posts Member
    Hardly comparable. Assassin was straight up advertised with DR’s release. Malak nullified that, but not upon release - upon an immediate rework to protect him from Zep, and Assassin was just chopped up to Collateral Damage.
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Yes, but Sith Assassin still has the same synergy with Darth Revan and Darth Malak she used to. She's only not as good if the *opponent* has Darth Malak. Everyone's looking at this as a completely one-dimensional mirror-only discussion, which I think is a little disingenuous.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    It's not like you can't use her anywhere else. And she has a ship.

I can understand some consternation over the way Malak was released and then buffed for the specific purpose of denying EP teams, but this is a nothing complaint.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    Yes, but Sith Assassin still has the same synergy with Darth Revan and Darth Malak she used to. She's only not as good if the *opponent* has Darth Malak. Everyone's looking at this as a completely one-dimensional mirror-only discussion, which I think is a little disingenuous.

I would assume those who favour your point of view are chuckling away to themselves, playing with their Malak.

The other 98% are entitled to their opinion.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    @jkray622 Look above you. You just missed that 747 that just blew over your head. I get what you are saying but there isn't an example you can give that will match what's happened here. You just aren't thinking hard enough.

One more thing, Sith Assassin has never been a hot mess. She has always been the centerpiece in any sith team I've used and has done stupid good.. Just wanted to clarify that. 👍

Bastila (light) being released effectively neutered Palpatine squads - and at only 3 stars. The forum anger was super salty back then. Perfect example of a character release impacting a highly popular toon. I don't need to think "too hard" about this, because most of the "rage" posted here on the forums comes from an incomplete understanding.

I'm 100% certain that everyone complaining about the Assassin "nerf" would be just as frustrated if Malak's kit had been released like this on Day 1. The change (announced after 5 day) is not the problem here - it's the frustration that players who use Assassin feel knowing that this one new character (who will be fairly rare for a while) has significantly impacted one of their characters.

Assassin can still go first and shock enemy Malak (thus causing your own Malak to taunt, and preventing theirs from taunting). Then even if your Bastila gets Corrupted Battle Meditation, she can use Wild Lightning on the shocked Malak and do massive damage across the board. Once Malak is dead, his unique disappears, and Assassin is free to grant bonus turn meter to the team.

Strategy is important, and strategy must change as new characters, new kits, and reworks occur, to ensure players can stay on top.

I've geared and zeta'ed characters that get effectively no use anymore. I'm not clamoring for a refund, because that's the way the game works.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member

No she doesn't. Her main useful ability giving her teammates TM will be gone if they follow through with this. And I think you aren't looking at the bigger picture that this sets. Sure, it's only against other Malaks. But thats all you are about to see and for those who worked hard to get DR but wasnt able to get Malak will be hurt by this move. Fair? Not even a debate really.

Fixed: Her main useful ability giving her teammates TM will be gone IN THIS ONE SITUATION if they follow through with this.

I don't know how many Malaks your shard is going to have on it . My December 2015 shard has about 10 on it right now. Maybe there are more who didn't have the resources to gear him, so they're laying low, but I doubt the majority of Darth Revan players also got Malak.

This will create a three-tier meta:
    Tier 1: Darth Revan with Malak
    Tier 2: Darth Revan without Malak
    Tier 3: Palpatine & Jedi Revan (to try and prey on Tier 2).

Sure, the next time Malak returns our shards will be flush with Malak...but who knows what the overall meta will look like at that point?
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member

Well, I'll definitely open up my 2nd ticket ever if they don't change Malaks interaction with Sass (or rather b-slap on poor Sass) as I geared her up from G11 to G12 (bottom left and right pieces) aswell as giving her both G12+ pieces for obvious reason. Despite her still being useful for other sith lineups and raid purpose, this is NOT what I geared her up for and I think there are plenty of people who did the same.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • It only affects mirror teams. And if it’s a mirror team no one from either team will get bonus TM. Lol
  • StarSon
    7430 posts Member
    It only affects mirror teams. And if it’s a mirror team no one from either team will get bonus TM. Lol

It also affects zMaul, and Sass under EP. And Sass on any team when facing Malak.
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    One of the positives about giving up chasing the meta (refusing to kraken-out for Malak, or even whaling to get my DR squad up to snuff in a hurry)--my assassin, trooper, and marauder remain nice and anemic, so I've wasted nothing.

Thanks for teaching me hopelessness in this game, CG!
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Legend91 wrote: »
    Well, I'll definitely open up my 2nd ticket ever if they don't change Malaks interaction with Sass (or rather b-slap on poor Sass) as I geared her up from G11 to G12 (bottom left and right pieces) aswell as giving her both G12+ pieces for obvious reason. Despite her still being useful for other sith lineups and raid purpose, this is NOT what I geared her up for and I think there are plenty of people who did the same.

You can do that...but I doubt anything will happen. They have refunded 2 zetas ever that I can remember - Daka and Finn. In neither case did they offer to refund any gear that players invested in those characters.

The *only situation* that I could see even the slightest chance is if you happened to apply all the gear in between Malak kit being teased, and the rework being announced, and justifying it as "I only committed the gear after seeing Malak's kit, and it's not fair to change it so soon."

If you invested in Sith Assassin before Malak's kit was released, then the "rework" doesn't matter - you're just the victim of the newest meta toon, making certain other toons less valuable.
  • Yeh these changes to malek are maybe the biggest slap to our faces since game dropped. Drevan teams are already far and above better than any other squad tht exist an someone finds one measly team tht can hang and beat him an whts cg do, they immediately wreck tht squad by chgin maleks kit not even 24hrs after he dropped to completely stop tht said team tht could beat drevan. Never has cg done this before with any other char. If a rework is merited it usually comes months later not hours. It looks like the game changers need to stop releasing vids on who can beat who cause cg will see summin they dont like an immediately add a new buff to a char to stop tht counter. Malek was meant to work with devan to stop jedi an mission accomplished but now u want to stop sith to. Why not add a text in his kit tht if u enter a battle against malek with jawas they instantly die upon takin a breath. And pls dont stop there lets also add nightsisters cant revive an thrawn cant fracture and han cant dbl tap an chewy cant assist han an since ur so good at wrecking teams i will let u decide wht other texts u’d like to add to those mentioned above. Cant wait to see what the next op char is to come along. I will make sure to plan my vacation at work around tht time so i have enough days off to read thru all the insanely long kit u come up with next.
  • Docx
    94 posts Member
    The g12 and g12+ pieces hurt a bit for sure.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    She can flat out win you matches under ZMaul. I suspect her ship might become more relevant soon too.

But having her "not useful in arena" doesnt not mean she isnt useful. 95% if not more of characters are not useful in arena.
  • Fauztin wrote: »
    Hardly comparable. Assassin was straight up advertised with DR’s release. Malak nullified that, but not upon release - upon an immediate rework to protect him from Zep, and Assassin was just chopped up to Collateral Damage.

Agreed...it was also specifically given new Sith Empire tag to give synergy with DR and BSF.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    JacenRoe wrote: »

So what you're saying is...if Malak's kit had included the "Sith enemies can't gain bonus turn meter" on initial release, nobody would be complaining about Assassin?

Which is the main concern - that his kit was changed so quickly, or that his kit will shut down enemy Sith tm gain?

Where are the concerns about Vader being neutralized by Malak's application of fear when he uses Force Crush? Shouldn't we all get a Vader refund now that he's worthless?

Absolutely yes. If he had come out of the box like that people would know that Assassin would be garbage in arena. As it was people saw the newly released characters, put gear on existing characters (like Sit Assassin) then a couple of days later the devs decided to screw everyone who did that. It's the jerking people around that is not conducive to trusting customers.

Next time a new meta shift happens people who find counters will be gunshy about spending on them because they don't want the rug pulled out from under them 2 days later.

Vader is the same thing. He was perfectly serviceable at g12, and had long paid for his gear in usefulness. However, if you plopped g12+ on him to use in a Palpatine team against DRevan then you feel pretty foolish right now. The length of time that the additional gear was useful was less that the length of time it took to acquire the gear.

I'm not advocating that those additional investments people made that were almost immediately invalidated be refunded. When you trick someone out of their resources you don't give it back. But that kind of behavior doesn't make loyal, happy customers who feel comfortable spending freely. If you can't see a difference between a year old character investment getting supplanted as the game evolves (which is totally fine), and people making investments because of a new character only to have CG change the rules a few days later to invalidate their investments, then you are purposefully being obtuse.

• It only affects mirror teams. And if it’s a mirror team no one from either team will get bonus TM. Lol

Which goes against their road ahead that aimed to reduce reliance on speed in PvP. Now all that matters is pure speed from mods. Wow, good job.

Sith Assassin gave people a tech choice when their Bastila Fallens had lower speed than the enemy's. It strengthened the meta by allowing versatility in team composition and having people think carefully about their mod setups. Now this new "buff" solidifies the order in which we mod for speed, requires running Sith Trooper with Malak, and sets in stone what the meta team will be.

It is so incredibly boring and anti-strategy that I can't believe anyone approves of it in a turn-based strategy game. Speed has hamstrung this game for far too long. The devs claim to be trying to put that behind them but they make a move like this which just reinforces that game design.

Mod slicing is pure RNG. Whales can improve the rate at which they slice mods compared to F2P but this move is not pro-whale even though everyone is trying to make it look that way. It's pro-RNG and does nothing but try and force people to pay more into mod slicing since speed is all that matters yet again. Think it's at all a coincidence that they started selling mod mats in the store right before they announced this change?

No matter how much we point out that CG is lying through their teeth about how they want to change up this game, they'll always have the shills defending their decisions.
  • Good luck getting your refund guys, it’s deserved but CG is so poorly ran at this point I doubt you’ll get it.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

Of course that's how people are looking at it - because the rework is designed to counter opponents.

As an aside, "disingenuous" would be stating that the goal is variety and balance in the meta....then 5 days later, reworking a newly-released toon to eliminate variety and balance in arena

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*