Regarding Changes to Malak- Sith Assasin

13Next

Replies

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    VonZant wrote: »
    This constant request for refunds is getting old. Learn to perhaps wait a week or two before you purchase that next shiney thing?

That's the whole point. I'm not suggesting a refund. I'm saying that if your customers need to be that vigilant about not getting shafted then it might not be an ideal way to treat them if you want loyal repeat business.

Buyer beware is an adage from ancient times. This is not a new phenomenon.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Sneekypete wrote: »
    Lots of complaints but this its time hard to argue against as they shot themselves in the foot with the synergy chart.
    The one ability that Assassin has that grants turn meter will simply not work when opposing a squad with Malak in it.

That one ability was the ONLY ONLY ONLY reason a bunch of people geared her up just in time for a targeted nerf days later in the only situation they intended to use it. Seems like they should be happy customers.

Did they ONLY ONLY ONLY gear her up to defeat Malak? Or did some of them gear her up to defeat Revan pre-Malak? Or because their mods were terrible enough that they struggled to defeat Jedi Revan without using Assassin?

How many people exactly geared Sith Assassin up between Malak kit being originally announced, and the announcement of his new kit? You claim a bunch - I'd love to know your sources. Is that the window in which you geared her? And even if you did, why are you extrapolating your personal experience to "a bunch of people."

For someone so concerned with "logic", I'd expect fewer hasty generalizations.

Not extrapolating my personal experience. I have said several times I had her geared long ago.

I don't have a number, but a bunch is a pretty vague term. I know it higher than zero. I know that in a game played by hundreds of thousands that seeing several people in my guild, and several people in my arena chat who did (if we assume that's an even quasi-representative sample) multiplied by however many guilds and arena shards there are is a number higher than zero.

And as for your other question, I don't see what you're getting at. She was not the optimal choice against JKR. If you geared her to make sure your whole Sith Empire squad got to go before the other Sith Empire squad (which I believe we can agree is a number of people higher than zero) then you got shafted a few days later.

Bunch is indeed a vague terms, but it is typically used to suggest a "significant number." It also needs to be taken within context. If you talk about members on a baseball team getting sick - 3 or 4 players out of the 9 would be a "bunch" of those baseball players. However, something that impacts 3 or 4 SWGOH players (out of the hundreds of thousands, or maybe millions who play) would commensurately not be considered a bunch.

It's entirely possible that a significant percentage of the population geared Assassin in the 5 day window between Malak announcement and his "rework", but it seems improbable. I'm sure that EA can figure out exactly what percentage of their player base was negatively impacted by the Day 5 Rework. It would only impact players that had Darth Revan, and are near the top of their arena shards, but their mods weren't good enough to compete without Assassin, and they already hadn't geared Assassin, yet they had the gear in their inventory (or were willing to purchase it), and decided to use the gear within this specific 5 day window.

Is the number greater than 0? Sure, I'd believe that. Is it larger than 100? I'd be surprised, but I have no data to support. I can only assume, based on the many specific conditions that would have to be met, that the number of impacted players would be low, but it's entirely possible that my assumptions are underestimating the number of players who met those conditions.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member

That's the whole point. I'm not suggesting a refund. I'm saying that if your customers need to be that vigilant about not getting shafted then it might not be an ideal way to treat them if you want loyal repeat business.

I agree. I'm seeing several long-term players on my shards and in my guild that are getting fatigue, and Malak's release was the last straw for a couple. I don't like several changes EA has made in the past few months, and it appears the company is becoming more "predatory."

But I also believe that Malak reducing Assassin's effectiveness is not a new phenomenon, and the vitriol surrounding his release is overblown (maybe due to compounding frustrations).
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    This constant request for refunds is getting old. Learn to perhaps wait a week or two before you purchase that next shiney thing?

Buyer beware is an adage from ancient times. This is not a new phenomenon.

No it's not. Totally agree. That is great advice for customers. However, it isn't a business model that builds loyal, satisfied customers who feel confident spending with you again.
  • I don’t like complaining on the forums. I rarely post.

But complaints over maleks rework/sith assassin/Palpatene are warranted.

I heard sith assassin would be great with Darth Revan. So I took her to g12. From what people are saying she will now become useless. Had I not used gear on her I could have surly saved money this weekend and used my gear on zaalbar/mission instead. But as impatient as I am and with the little notice you developers gave...I spent money which is what y’all really wanted.

Cg really should think about refunded people gear for her.

It’s bad enough to gear a squad for arena....it’s even worse gearing toons we never would have in the first place just to get Malek.

Even if they ignore these posts(which is highly likely)....I’ll never spend another dollar on this game.

I’ve never ever missed out on a new toons release. I’ve kept up with every meta. I’m not a whale but I’m a dolphin that has probably spent about 2k in the past 3 years.

If I had to add up the money I spent on the past 6 months for JKR/dr/malek....it had to be close to a grand...which now I really regret.

I salute free to play players that choose to remain free to play and that have the restraint to keep from spending and the patience to just get the new released toons the 2nd or 3rd time instead of the 1st.

From this weekends most horrible/expensive weekend in swgoh’s history....I’m taking a page out of yalls book. I’ll never spend another dollar on this game. I can no longer financially contribute to a game company that doesn’t properly test toons/releases meta that destroys everything in its path/that reworks/nerfs Old toons cause it beats newly released ones/and a developer team that pushes out money hungry/resource consuming content at such a fast rate to the point that even whales are having a hard time to keep up.

This game was great. Not so much no more. I play out of habit/not because it’s fun. I’m trying to hold out cause I’d like to see Jedi Luke...but the way this games heading....it’s not worth the headache.

Cg you folks need to take a real good look at the player bases comments here and on reddit. Many of the players that supported you over the years have become very disgruntled...and you only have yourselves to blame.

Whoever is in charge over there is pushing people away. Is that what y’all really want?
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    I heard sith assassin would be great with Darth Revan. So I took her to g12. From what people are saying she will now become useless.

Incorrect. Please read through the posts. Assassin's utility in one specific matchup has been limited. She will still be great with Darth Revan.
  • jkray622 wrote: »
    Don't forget everyone should get a refund of Scavenger Rey, since C3PO replaces her in the Heroic Sith raid p1 squd. Oh, and a refund for all gear in Resistance Trooper because he's been replaced by Finn now. Let's refund Jedi Knight Revan, since he's been replaced by Darth Revan, so now he's worthless.

Or maybe...just maybe...we realize that the game changes and evolves, and that just because a character isn't useful in one specific circumstance (which is literally only not valuable attacking teams with Malak) - that doesn't mean the character is "useless" and "wasted."

Change in 2 weeks time, after they recommended them though? All the characters you mentioned had their time for a good long while. Nice try.
    @jkray622 Look above you. You just missed that 747 that just blew over your head. I get what you are saying but there isn't an example you can give that will match what's happened here. You just aren't thinking hard enough.

One more thing, Sith Assassin has never been a hot mess. She has always been the centerpiece in any sith team I've used and has done stupid good.. Just wanted to clarify that. 👍

Bastila (light) being released effectively neutered Palpatine squads - and at only 3 stars. The forum anger was super salty back then. Perfect example of a character release impacting a highly popular toon. I don't need to think "too hard" about this, because most of the "rage" posted here on the forums comes from an incomplete understanding.

I'm 100% certain that everyone complaining about the Assassin "nerf" would be just as frustrated if Malak's kit had been released like this on Day 1. The change (announced after 5 day) is not the problem here - it's the frustration that players who use Assassin feel knowing that this one new character (who will be fairly rare for a while) has significantly impacted one of their characters.

Assassin can still go first and shock enemy Malak (thus causing your own Malak to taunt, and preventing theirs from taunting). Then even if your Bastila gets Corrupted Battle Meditation, she can use Wild Lightning on the shocked Malak and do massive damage across the board. Once Malak is dead, his unique disappears, and Assassin is free to grant bonus turn meter to the team.

Strategy is important, and strategy must change as new characters, new kits, and reworks occur, to ensure players can stay on top.

I've geared and zeta'ed characters that get effectively no use anymore. I'm not clamoring for a refund, because that's the way the game works.
    If you've paid to have a character geared up really quickly because you were told that it works great with this team only to have a character release and then IMMEDIATELY re-worked to counter you and EP teams, you deserve a refund. You purchased with your real currency gear to gear up a character that was advertised to work well with a team. No warning from CG as people are buying up this gear, then after Malak comes out they re-work so you wasted actual money on a character whose who goal in mind was to compete in Arena.

When people use their own currency and CG makes changes that quick just to nullify your character in arena, that is not okay and people deserve a refund. If it was over a period of time or you didn't spend lots of cash to max out now then the argument your right is not that strong. I know very many players that whaled to get that advertised Darth Revan team to G12 to compete in high end arena.

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Don't forget everyone should get a refund of Scavenger Rey, since C3PO replaces her in the Heroic Sith raid p1 squd. Oh, and a refund for all gear in Resistance Trooper because he's been replaced by Finn now. Let's refund Jedi Knight Revan, since he's been replaced by Darth Revan, so now he's worthless.

Or maybe...just maybe...we realize that the game changes and evolves, and that just because a character isn't useful in one specific circumstance (which is literally only not valuable attacking teams with Malak) - that doesn't mean the character is "useless" and "wasted."

Change in 2 weeks time, after they recommended them though? All the characters you mentioned had their time for a good long while. Nice try.

Please read through the entire thread, including the discussions I've already had with other posters on this thread, before you comment. Your concern has already been addressed.

Please read through the entire thread, including the discussions I've already had with other posters on this thread, before you comment. Your concern has already been addressed.

Read one below the one you are quoting wise guy.. Lmao..
    Lots of complaints but this its time hard to argue against as they shot themselves in the foot with the synergy chart.
    The one ability that Assassin has that grants turn meter will simply not work when opposing a squad with Malak in it.

That one ability was the ONLY ONLY ONLY reason a bunch of people geared her up just in time for a targeted nerf days later in the only situation they intended to use it. Seems like they should be happy customers.

Did they ONLY ONLY ONLY gear her up to defeat Malak? Or did some of them gear her up to defeat Revan pre-Malak? Or because their mods were terrible enough that they struggled to defeat Jedi Revan without using Assassin?

How many people exactly geared Sith Assassin up between Malak kit being originally announced, and the announcement of his new kit? You claim a bunch - I'd love to know your sources. Is that the window in which you geared her? And even if you did, why are you extrapolating your personal experience to "a bunch of people."

Does it matter how many? Is it acceptable if it’s only a few hundred people? What number do we need to reach before it becomes shady?

I got Malak, and geared Sith Assassin up to use in place of Malak against faster DR teams. Because I was having problems in mirror matches where I was outmoded. SA allowed for me to have my Bastila go before my opponents and get the debuffs off first, which made all the difference. Now I have to find a new way. Luckily for me it was “only” the final G11 piece and the G12 gear. Some has to go a lot further.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member

I read it. It added absolutely nothing new to the conversation, other than to solidify the impression that you haven't read the thread. Perhaps if you add a new perspective to the conversation, then your input would be valid. Otherwise, you are trying to make points that have already been discussed (and in my opinion refuted) ad nauseum.

So I can either:
    1) Type the exact same explanation to you.
    2) Refer to you to the previous posts where your "points" have already been discussed.

I'm going to go with #2. Because I'm "wise."
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

After getting a crappy "slime gun" with his own money, even my 6 year old now asks "Dad I want this toy - lets look up the stars and watch some videos."

Anyway Sass is very useful on a Maul team no matter what.

I'm even more convinced now there are only 6 real posters on this forum and the rest of you are just forum bots set to "troll" setting.

A couple if things regarding your analogy. First off, "watching videos" for swgoh, could end up leading to being mislead (please see GG for examples). Secondly, the issue with the Malak rework has nothing to do with not waiting - it has to do with CG intentionally (and, now, repeatedly) misleading it's customers.

The bigger issue is the "goal" to create "variety" and "balance", stated in the 4/10 post from Carrie doesn't line up with the actions they repeatedly take. In this case, eliminating possible counters (i.e. variety and balance). When someone says one thing and continually takes actions that are contradictory to their words, you have to believe what they do, not what they say.

Since you like old adages, there's one that says "Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear what you are saying". That one seems much more applicable in this case.

CG is saying, loud and clear, "The meta will be prescribed by our releases. Creative counters will be eliminated. Pay us what we want, when we want - and as often as we ask, or fall behind."

It's really fairly simple.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member

Does it matter how many? Is it acceptable if it’s only a few hundred people? What number do we need to reach before it becomes shady?

I got Malak, and geared Sith Assassin up to use in place of Malak against faster DR teams. Because I was having problems in mirror matches where I was outmoded. SA allowed for me to have my Bastila go before my opponents and get the debuffs off first, which made all the difference. Now I have to find a new way. Luckily for me it was “only” the final G11 piece and the G12 gear. Some has to go a lot further.

The number absolutely does matter - because we should also consider these decisions from EA's perspective.

It is literally impossible to make decisions that make every single player happy. We have players are complaining about how the Ahsoka rework is a huge nerf to her, and that their "investment in Ahsoka" is being destroyed.

When EA makes decisions, they should be considering how it's going to impact certain percentages of the player base. In this case, they are obviously setting Revan/Malak up to be the overwhelming dominant meta. They are trying to ensure this, and preventing sith tm gain is a very obvious example.

By making the change so quickly, they are minimizing the number of players impacted (i.e. only the players who geared assassin up in this window are impacted by the "rework"), and they are trying to make the players who got Malak happy. I'm pretty confident they ran the numbers and saw that the # of happy people is going to be larger than the # of unhappy players (in terms of Assassin gear anyway).

If this change were going to negatively impact hundreds of thousands of Assassin players, then they either wouldn't make it, or they'd offer amends. The total impact is in how many players are impacted?

Is it "shady"? Not really. I think the entire Malak release, and several other recent decisions are very predatory. I also don't know what they have planned for the near and far future, so I can't see how these decisions play into that.

I read it. It added absolutely nothing new to the conversation, other than to solidify the impression that you haven't read the thread. Perhaps if you add a new perspective to the conversation, then your input would be valid. Otherwise, you are trying to make points that have already been discussed (and in my opinion refuted) ad nauseum.

So I can either:
    1) Type the exact same explanation to you.
    2) Refer to you to the previous posts where your "points" have already been discussed.

I'm going to go with #2. Because I'm "wise."

Hey buddy just wanted to let you know that CG obviously felt the same way the MANY players did on this thread (and forums, AND reddit) and decided to refund the gear for Sith Assasin :)