How is this fair matchmaking?

Prev1
Tygra
89 posts Member
I hate the GA with a passion. I am being punished because of a high GP because I have worked on gearing and 7* ing all my toons. I always struggle in the GA, but this 3rd round matchup is completely ridiculous. My opponent has 85 G12 toons vs. my 37. He has enough to have full G12 defensive and offensive squads, and have a couple of extra G12 squads in case he struggles taking down any of my squads. Here are my lowest geared toons, which also includes my only 3 toons that are not level 85, my Tusken Raiders:

83eslkxxeiau.png

Here are his lowest toons:

nj5ov23g0un6.jpg

kr88yckkeb2l.jpg

gpaaoqrbrxwo.jpg

I know he has the gear required to level these toons up, but he isn't. I'm not saying he is doing this deliberately, because most of those toons have been in the game longer than the GA, I'm just using this as a perfect example of why the matchmaking formula needs to not be based solely on GP.

Replies

  • Nauros
    2735 posts Member
    Better accept that GA rewards are decided by a roll of the dice at matchmaking and move on. And maybe enjoy a fun, close match once in a while.
    Revive the stores, the game needs it.
  • Nihion
    2175 posts Member
    I can’t say it’s unfair, but I’m with you pal. I just upgraded a lot of things at once (bad idea) and I never win. I usually sign up, do everyone else a favor and grab the free 8th place rewards. Better than nothing!

    The unfortunate aspect part is that you can’t change your diverse roster with semi-characters; once you’re there, you’re stuck.
  • Ratinira wrote: »
    The fairness is depending on the point of view. From his side that should be quite fair: he planned whom to gear to create squads with sinergy, geared them to 12+, havent focused on junk so why shouldnt he have advantage over someone who didnt? From your point of view that is unfair...

    I have 55 g12. One of my last GA opponents had... 3. I am absolutely sure he think that was unfair)

    Of course that's not correct and they should re-design the arena lottery process.
    Very bad requirement specification and engineering process while developing and building the code (typicall of EA). You can compare this to a real war with America against a very popularized country but with poorly developed military industry. You can do math.
  • Jarvind
    2402 posts Member
    Nobody ever said GA matchups would be fair. Just that you would have the same GP.

    I have to admit, I am curious why you leveled up dozens of characters you haven't used. Seems like a massive waste of credits.
  • GA is a waste of time for me. I would rather build up all characters in my roster to buff my TB scores for the benefit of my guild
  • Tygra
    89 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Nobody ever said GA matchups would be fair. Just that you would have the same GP.

    I have to admit, I am curious why you leveled up dozens of characters you haven't used. Seems like a massive waste of credits.

    That's my point though, they should be somewhat fair and a better matchmaking formula could do that.

    I leveled and geared up most of my toons after the introduction of the TB so that I had more GP to deploy. I don't understand why anyone who has hundreds or thousands of extra gear pieces wouldn't go ahead and use them to gear up G1 toons.
  • This controversy has been discussed a few times, wont the recently announced Grand Arena Championship somehow target this? Winners fight against Winners and so on. At some point the opponents will converge to have the same amount of fluff GP as yourself.
  • An account with 30 g12 with bad mods will always lose against an account that has 50 g11 with amazing mods, imho. If you want to win at GA, you either go g12 heavy, or at least go all g11 and have amazing mods.
  • Heyhre wrote: »
    Ratinira wrote: »
    The fairness is depending on the point of view. From his side that should be quite fair: he planned whom to gear to create squads with sinergy, geared them to 12+, havent focused on junk so why shouldnt he have advantage over someone who didnt? From your point of view that is unfair...

    I have 55 g12. One of my last GA opponents had... 3. I am absolutely sure he think that was unfair)

    Of course that's not correct and they should re-design the arena lottery process.
    .

    Should they?

    A lot in this game in unfair from some point of view.
    Its unfair when your guild has 1 Revan on TW and your opponents has 50
    Its unfair that one is talking top 1 and another is in top 1000
    It is unfair that one has 100k of crystals and another has 1.
    It is unfair that one can afford to buy something and another cannot.

    Game is an unfair thing as well as life at all.
    But when one part will consider that unfair another may consider it to be very fair.
  • You know those people crying about Malak? I'm not one because I chose to put my resources into gearing up KOTOR. I hear all these people crying about how unfair it was.... this post echos those sentiments. It's not unfair. It's where you chose to spend resources. That's why I scoff at those who cried about Malak. No, you chose to gear other characters up. That's all. 2 day notice? LOL I had em all G12 months before that happened. LOLOLOL
  • SebPovic
    67 posts Member
    edited April 18
    You know those people crying about Malak? I'm not one because I chose to put my resources into gearing up KOTOR. I hear all these people crying about how unfair it was.... this post echos those sentiments. It's not unfair. It's where you chose to spend resources. That's why I scoff at those who cried about Malak. No, you chose to gear other characters up. That's all. 2 day notice? LOL I had em all G12 months before that happened. LOLOLOL

    What does your Acquisition of Darth Malak und the crying of some others player have to do with this discussion about GA matchmaking? This is not about resource management but more like that it was a good deed to do for your guild if you geared unused characters for TB. After introduction of GA that backfired.
  • jkray622
    1329 posts Member
    Why should your opponent gear up worthless toons? Wouldn't those Carbanti and Stun Guns and Stun Cuffs and raid pieces be more valuable on high-impact characters?

    Of course your opponent is deliberately spending his gear only in effective places. This is a resource management game, and he is managing his resources better than you are. I mean...given his GP and his g12, he probably spends some money on the game as well...but he's still focusing his resources where they will make his account stronger.

    Shouldn't players who made smart decisions be rewarded for those decisions? As it is, some would call this guy's roster fluffy because those g1 guys are mostly at lvl 85, which adds fluff...
  • Nihion
    2175 posts Member
    You know those people crying about Malak? I'm not one because I chose to put my resources into gearing up KOTOR. I hear all these people crying about how unfair it was.... this post echos those sentiments. It's not unfair. It's where you chose to spend resources. That's why I scoff at those who cried about Malak. No, you chose to gear other characters up. That's all. 2 day notice? LOL I had em all G12 months before that happened. LOLOLOL

    Lol to think that you’re scoffing because you had better “resource management.” You’re just gloating that you got Malak and he was worth the investment.
  • VonZant
    3842 posts Member
    Seriously its possible to win against accounts with that disparity. Work on your mods, or start gearing your top teams. Both would be better.

    If you are short on mods, put good speed mods on BB8, Sith Assasin, FOO, Thrawn, Nest, Vader and Bossk and have a decent team around them you can win most of 7 offensive matchups. I used to add Poe to that list but zFinn isnt what he used to be.

    Good luck.
  • To OP.
    If they add a time/GP based matchmaking to ensure you will play against unprepared players like you, that would make you happy?
  • Tygra wrote: »
    I hate the GA with a passion. I am being punished because of a high GP because I have worked on gearing and 7* ing all my toons. I always struggle in the GA, but this 3rd round matchup is completely ridiculous. My opponent has 85 G12 toons vs. my 37. He has enough to have full G12 defensive and offensive squads, and have a couple of extra G12 squads in case he struggles taking down any of my squads. Here are my lowest geared toons, which also includes my only 3 toons that are not level 85, my Tusken Raiders:

    83eslkxxeiau.png

    Here are his lowest toons:

    nj5ov23g0un6.jpg

    kr88yckkeb2l.jpg

    gpaaoqrbrxwo.jpg

    I know he has the gear required to level these toons up, but he isn't. I'm not saying he is doing this deliberately, because most of those toons have been in the game longer than the GA, I'm just using this as a perfect example of why the matchmaking formula needs to not be based solely on GP.

    Didn't read the whole post. Just saw GA and knew the answer. It's not. Hate, hate, hate GA! =)
  • I can paraphrase the entire thread without reading anything but the title.

    Everyone who is not a whale and been playing since before TW, agrees with it not being fair.

    Everyone who joined the game or working an Alt account that joined after TW disagrees.

    End of thread.
  • Quality over quantity.
  • Well, a good example of changes to characters that should've given us refunds would be Jawas. Before mods 2.0 if you wanted crit damage mods, you had to level them up somewhat to get the tier 3 variety. (mine are all 7 star and 65-70 gear 7/8) Now, they are irrelevant and useless (regardless of how much you boost them in one TW). I'd be perfectly fine losing some GP if they removed jawas completely.

    Other than that, it's a tough one because playing TB, you NEED characters 7 star to help fill platoons. So different parts of the game pull us in different directions for priority. If you focus on one of them, you will have a more difficult time in the others. I have most of my characters at 7 star because it benefits my guild for TB for platoons all the way to phase 6. Same with ships.

    At the same time, I've beat the snot out of some people who are "hyper focused" on their characters in GA. Right around 4 mil GP they have far less "teams" to build than I do because I'm a collector and have more viable teams. They might have more G12 toons, but I can put a better defense and have more teams for offense.

    No matter what their algorithm does to determine opponents, someone will be unhappy with the results.
  • I can paraphrase the entire thread without reading anything but the title.

    Everyone who is not a whale and been playing since before TW, agrees with it not being fair.

    Everyone who joined the game or working an Alt account that joined after TW disagrees.

    End of thread.

    Like none played collection based games before this. Theres always a backlash for spreading resurces.
  • Nihion wrote: »
    You know those people crying about Malak? I'm not one because I chose to put my resources into gearing up KOTOR. I hear all these people crying about how unfair it was.... this post echos those sentiments. It's not unfair. It's where you chose to spend resources. That's why I scoff at those who cried about Malak. No, you chose to gear other characters up. That's all. 2 day notice? LOL I had em all G12 months before that happened. LOLOLOL

    Lol to think that you’re scoffing because you had better “resource management.” You’re just gloating that you got Malak and he was worth the investment.

    No, it's to point out the argument about resource management. You can't have it both ways. So I
    'm not letting them off the hook. I actually knew Malak was coming into the game. And I knew KOTOR would be needed. And I liked KOTOR characters. And yes, I really did have them all G12 months before Malak, and months before Darth Revan. If you couldn't read between the lines to see all these characters coming into the game, then --well, that's too bad.
    Do you know why I don't have C3P0? Because I couldn't spend any gear on ewoks while I geared my KOTOR. We all make choices...

    https://swgoh.gg/p/671797632/

    See, these are my choices. I have an inflated GP too... I did exactly what the OP is talking about. I have only 35 G12. I have all my toons 7 star and g7-9 I spent all over the place. ANd I cna live with that. Can you?
  • jkray622
    1329 posts Member
    I can paraphrase the entire thread without reading anything but the title.

    Everyone who is not a whale and been playing since before TW, agrees with it not being fair.

    Everyone who joined the game or working an Alt account that joined after TW disagrees.

    End of thread.

    Incorrect. I'm not a whale. Been playing since very shortly after launch.

    It seems pretty fair. Players who focused resources on developing strong top-end rosters have an advantage to people who have a relatively "flat" roster of weaker characters.

    If we start adding too many new criteria to matchmaking, the populations in each "bucket" will go down, and some players will end up fighting the same groups over and over.

    While they say it's a special matchmaking formula, it seems 100% purely based on GP. Players know this now, so should develop their roster. Unless a player literally has the absolute worst, fluffiest roster at their GP level in the whole world, sometimes matching will put them up against a worst roster.
  • umm... mods
  • Tanzos
    191 posts Member
    umm... mods

    Mods can't help you make up the gear difference if the opponent also has good mods. It's the gear disparity and sandbagging of resources that OP is talking about in regards to matchmaking fairness.
  • Nihion
    2175 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »
    You know those people crying about Malak? I'm not one because I chose to put my resources into gearing up KOTOR. I hear all these people crying about how unfair it was.... this post echos those sentiments. It's not unfair. It's where you chose to spend resources. That's why I scoff at those who cried about Malak. No, you chose to gear other characters up. That's all. 2 day notice? LOL I had em all G12 months before that happened. LOLOLOL

    Lol to think that you’re scoffing because you had better “resource management.” You’re just gloating that you got Malak and he was worth the investment.

    No, it's to point out the argument about resource management. You can't have it both ways. So I
    'm not letting them off the hook. I actually knew Malak was coming into the game. And I knew KOTOR would be needed. And I liked KOTOR characters. And yes, I really did have them all G12 months before Malak, and months before Darth Revan. If you couldn't read between the lines to see all these characters coming into the game, then --well, that's too bad.
    Do you know why I don't have C3P0? Because I couldn't spend any gear on ewoks while I geared my KOTOR. We all make choices...

    https://swgoh.gg/p/671797632/

    See, these are my choices. I have an inflated GP too... I did exactly what the OP is talking about. I have only 35 G12. I have all my toons 7 star and g7-9 I spent all over the place. ANd I cna live with that. Can you?

    I can live with just about anything, thanks for asking. I wouldn’t call that resource management, I would call it choosing which character you want. So personal choice management.
  • jkray622
    1329 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »
    I can live with just about anything, thanks for asking. I wouldn’t call that resource management, I would call it choosing which character you want. So personal choice management.

    The personal choice of where to invest your resources in the game. This game is a resource management game, period. Players that spend money can buy extra resources that f2p do not, so they don't have to do as much management (depending on how much they are willing to spend anyway).
  • Jarvind wrote: »
    Nobody ever said GA matchups would be fair. Just that you would have the same GP.

    I have to admit, I am curious why you leveled up dozens of characters you haven't used. Seems like a massive waste of credits.

    I know I did it to help my guild in LS/DS TB, which was created long before GA or even TW. It seems really counter-intuitive that in a character collector game that has guilds, there is a HUGE incentive to harm your guild's progress in TW in order to do better in GA.
  • jkray622 wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    I can live with just about anything, thanks for asking. I wouldn’t call that resource management, I would call it choosing which character you want. So personal choice management.

    The personal choice of where to invest your resources in the game. This game is a resource management game, period. Players that spend money can buy extra resources that f2p do not, so they don't have to do as much management (depending on how much they are willing to spend anyway).

    And some people guessed correctly where to put their resources. Some ignored other facets that could be beneficial in other parts of the game, their guild, etc., to focus on one aspect.

    Now Galactic Republic is going to make a resurgence and Ahnald has a video up of Anakin destroying DRevan teams, even WITH Malak. Who guessed that one would happen?
  • 2 years ago when TW and TB started, most people started to put gear on everyone and started 7 starring everyone. Now everybody that did this is paying the price for it.
Sign In or Register to comment.