13458 posts Member
    Woodroward wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    jkray622 wrote: »

Never claimed it to be true. Claimed it to be true but out of ordernot true. Ignoring the qualifying statement means you aren't talking about what im talking about.

I fixed it for you. Something that is not true....is not true. Yet, you keep insisting it was true. There is no qualifying statement that can make up for it. You just don’t understand that truth is a binary state. Something is either true or it is not. Even if you somehow “misordered things” (which you didn’t), that would make your resulting statement untrue. False. Fake news.

Just replace every instance of “true but out of order” with “false” and you’ll be much more honest with everyone, including yourself.

Just replace every instance of true in your arguments with true but out of order and you'll begin to be responding to me.

See it doesn't matter what my words mean to you. It only matters what i meant by them. Arguing otherwise is you imposing your ideals on others.

Your ideals are for you, mine are for me.

It only matters what words mean. You insisting they mean what they don't only makes sense to you.

There are multiple denotative and connotative definitions to myriads of words. They are all valid to be used.

Insisting only one definition is valid is simply a means to not have to try to understand people, but can instead go to "correcting", which doesn't work and then leads to no one gaining anything from the conversation.

No the only definition that matters is the one used by the originator of the sentence it's used in.

If everyone uses a different definition than the one used by the originator of the sentence, the originator of the sentence is probably wrong.

No. Everyone else is. It doesn't matter what it means to the listener, only what the speaker meant matters. Any other way of doing so destroys the actual message of the statement and devolves into a pointless squabble over semantics. (Kind of like this thread, but i forgive you all your pig head insistence upon forcing your beliefs on me)

Language isn't set in stone, it is constantly changing and evolving. To insist upon personally known definitions over whats being used is purely egotistical, not intelligent.

The intelligent thing to do would be to see what can be learned not to tear it down because it doesn't match what you know.

I personally don't really care about doing the intelligent thing as long as people understand what i'm trying to say. If i use a defintion of a word that no one else does, i blame myself, not everone else.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member

Never claimed it to be true. Claimed it to be true but out of ordernot true. Ignoring the qualifying statement means you aren't talking about what im talking about.

I fixed it for you. Something that is not true....is not true. Yet, you keep insisting it was true. There is no qualifying statement that can make up for it. You just don’t understand that truth is a binary state. Something is either true or it is not. Even if you somehow “misordered things” (which you didn’t), that would make your resulting statement untrue. False. Fake news.

Just replace every instance of “true but out of order” with “false” and you’ll be much more honest with everyone, including yourself.

Just replace every instance of true in your arguments with true but out of order and you'll begin to be responding to me.

See it doesn't matter what my words mean to you. It only matters what i meant by them. Arguing otherwise is you imposing your ideals on others.

It only matters what words mean. You insisting they mean what they don't only makes sense to you.

There are multiple denotative and connotative definitions to myriads of words. They are all valid to be used.

Insisting only one definition is valid is simply a means to not have to try to understand people, but can instead go to "correcting", which doesn't work and then leads to no one gaining anything from the conversation.

No the only definition that matters is the one used by the originator of the sentence it's used in.

If everyone uses a different definition than the one used by the originator of the sentence, the originator of the sentence is probably wrong.

No. Everyone else is. It doesn't matter what it means to the listener, only what the speaker meant matters. Any other way of doing so destroys the actual message of the statement and devolves into a pointless squabble over semantics. (Kind of like this thread, but i forgive you all your pig head insistence upon forcing your beliefs on me)

Language isn't set in stone, it is constantly changing and evolving. To insist upon personally known definitions over whats being used is purely egotistical, not intelligent.

The intelligent thing to do would be to see what can be learned not to tear it down because it doesn't match what you know.

I personally don't really care about doing the intelligent thing as long as people understand what i'm trying to say. If i use a defintion of a word that no one else does, i blame myself, not everone else.

Well, that's your prerogative, even if it severely curtails your ability to function as you wish.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Well, that's your prerogative, even if it severely curtails your ability to function as you wish.

it severely curtails my ability to function as i wish? What does that even mean?
  • TVF
    36589 posts Member
    It means you won't be able to Dave as much as you want.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member

it severely curtails my ability to function as i wish? What does that even mean?

If you can't use the word you desire because other people might not understand it, you are limiting your ability to function as you wish.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

If you can't use the word you desire because other people might not understand it, you are limiting your ability to function as you wish.

I have no desire to use certain words, i just want people to understand what i'm saying. Using words others do not understand or interpreted differently limits my ability to communicate how i wish to communicate.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Lol. Trees are now known as Daves.

You know what they say, money doesn't grow on Daves

• TVF
    36589 posts Member
    ndwilson wrote: »

What's money? Never heard that term.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • ndwilson
    90 posts Member
    ndwilson wrote: »

What's money? Never heard that term.

My apologies. I should've been more specific. Schrute Bucks (currency used to pay for goods and services) don't grow on Dave's.
  • @Kyno15_SeeYouAuntie can you please open this Dave?
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited May 2019

I have no desire to use certain words, i just want people to understand what i'm saying. Using words others do not understand or interpreted differently limits my ability to communicate how i wish to communicate.

So if you have a term that you think is the perfect fit to completely describe your intent because of all the subtle nuances of the word but could be misinterpreted because it has other definitions you would choose the less apt word to make sure it couldn't be misinterpreted?

See I never would. I like that things can be misinterpreted (not that i strive for them but I find statements like those lead to more complex discussions with more room for personal growth) because it shows me who jumps to conclusions (someone who just wants to argue) and who seeks clarification (wants to learn from their discussions and recognizes their own fallibility).

The fact that a word may have multiple definitions is irrelevant. My purpose is to say what i mean as accurately as possible, not as easily understandable as possible.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

So if you have a term that you think is the perfect fit to completely describe your intent because of all the subtle nuances of the word but could be misinterpreted because it has other definitions you would choose the less apt word to make sure it couldn't be misinterpreted?

See I never would. I like that things can be misinterpreted (not that i strive for them but I find statements like those lead to more complex discussions with more room for personal growth) because it shows me who jumps to conclusions (someone who just wants to argue) and who seeks clarification (wants to learn from their discussions and recognizes their own fallibility).

The fact that a word may have multiple definitions is irrelevant. My purpose is to say what i mean as accurately as possible, not as easily understandable as possible.

Well, you got the "complex discussion" you were looking for, so i guess that's a win for you.
    I guess you could also argue that "true, but out of order" is more accurate that "false", atleast it provides more information. Unfortunately it just comes across as being a .... who wants to be right all the time. Nothing wrong with that, but lets not pretent that the discussion sparked because of that is anything other than a silly discussion with people who just want to argue to argue.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    edited May 2019

"The US flag is solid black. That statement is true, except for the other colors."

Intelligent users of the English language know this is not appropriate usage of the word true. If you have to add a qualifier, it isn't true. If it's not true, it's false.

I am interested in how you you would reorder your assertions to make them actually true though.
  • Blows mind that this thread continues despite the OP answering his own question in the second post. @Kyno are you on an extended vacation or something?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Blows mind that this thread continues despite the OP answering his own question in the second post. Kyno are you on an extended vacation or something?

Nope I'm here.

Closed, because.... answered.
This discussion has been closed.