A solution to this mess of a month

Prev1
Obviously the vocal majority aren't happy about how things have unfolded with this game this month. It's a relatively frustrating time in this game. For three years now the meta has been defined by one singular team and game mode.(Squad Arena) . Squad Arena has the greatest payoff in crystals and therefor is where most of the spending via whales happens. What has been brought to light now more than ever is that the meta will always be changing and with over 170 character there will always be some F2P combination of characters with gear and mods that can challenge the meta squad some % of the time. I think with the release of a new fan favorite game mode in Grand Arena that it is time that this game doesn't become just about one dominant team but a dominant roster. If grand arena had the best payoffs for example it would encourage not only strategy but a deep roster full of synergies. The whales of the game would still have an advantage and be encouraged to spend . If CG's end goal is really to have a close to rock-paper-scissors meta than this seems to be the best solution given what we have. At the end of the day it's getting tiring to see the community repeatedly angered by all these changes. All this anger leads to people leaving the game F2P and Whale's alike. For me this is really sad given the potential of all the future Star Wars content coming at the end of this year, that could potentially attract new players.

Replies

• Basically make Grand Arena the most rewarding game mode rather than squad arena
  • I kind of agree, but that would come with its own problems. Matchmaking in grand arena is dire.

There are pros and cons to each. Ideally I think each game mode should provide similar scope for rewards - perhaps reducing arena crystals and increasing GA/TB/TW crystals could be a way forward.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • I kind of agree, but that would come with its own problems. Matchmaking in grand arena is dire.

There are pros and cons to each. Ideally I think each game mode should provide similar scope for rewards - perhaps reducing arena crystals and increasing GA/TB/TW crystals could be a way forward.

The problem being is arena probably brings in more money than all of the others combined
  • I completely agree with the OP!

The problem being is arena probably brings in more money than all of the others combined

Because arena has the highest crystal payout.
    That, however, can be changed at any time (after a couple of thousand hours of testing..). Thats exactly the point of op.

I support it.
    Current arena system is outdated.
    I can see it actually sell well too - to assure GA success, you not only need to invest (buy) the latest meta, but basically invest (buy) like 12+ different teams. Getting all the shards for that many + getting them all to g12 + getting them 6dot mods... Thats a lot of potential revenue.
  • Well, i don't agree with OP. Grand Arena is boring as hell, it's the same with Squad Arena and TW. They should make a very challenging PvE mode where you get crystal as a reward.

Something like a tower to climb. The highest you go the hardest it gets and the rewards you get are based on a leaderbord to create some competition. And the tower would be reseted every week or so.
  • Is GA really a fan favourite? I know I hate it
  • Hantal86 wrote: »
    Is GA really a fan favourite? I know I hate it

What do you hate about it? The way I see it the actual game mode is the perfect PvP environment for the game. You get to use your whole roster and to strategise multiple battles against opponents with theoretically similar total amounts of investment into their roster.

The problems I see with it are unrelated to the game mode itself (matchmaking, rewards)
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    I'd be 100% on board with GA supplanting squad arena as the most rewarding game mode, or at least getting a crystal payout. Squad arena is basically decided by who, in the subset of people who have the New Hot Team gear-maxed, has the best mods. Also shard chats.

The only people still salty about GA matchmaking are big ol' babies who can't be bothered to adapt and just want to whine about it. It's been so long since it was introduced that if you still haven't figured out how to win or built up another team or two to use, you only have yourself to blame.

There was some mention of GA "leagues" in the road ahead post, I think - hopefully that means a "season" will consist of a few separate weeklong GA events, and ranking well at the end of the season will have its own rewards.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Gannon
    1626 posts Member
    I posted something similar awhile back, got mostly negative feedback from ppl who rule their shards..
    But I agree 110%
    GA is fun and challenging, and makes the most of multiple teams and strategies, it should replace the boring arena.
    Especially considering there are thousands of players in each shard, yet only the top 5% or so get decent rewards to continue progression. If that were expanded slightly, it would drive revenue as players would want to push to the top with multiple squads rather than just one.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    I kind of agree, but that would come with its own problems. Matchmaking in grand arena is dire.

I agree. GA is just not proper in how it matches.

If i level characters to 50 attach mods and only focus on a certain set, i get stacked GP but im matched with people who have much less dense roster but higher level.

They have to fix that first then yes move to GA being the reward generator would bring a bit more diversity
  • Dear OP,
    I really like this idea and I think it would be awesome for you to bring this up somehow in the upcoming Q/A
    Love,
    Pants
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    I don't know that it would work better for them.

Arena is set up to perfectly exploit spending desires.

• Ship arena is where the whales hang out. Why would whales care about $3 in crystals on a squad arena payout. You can't buy zetas
  • That’d be sweet!
  • The Grand Arena tournament of champions that was mentioned would be a great place for the big crystal payouts. Less whinging about matchmaking if the matchmaking is improved by multiple rounds of seeding.
  • Since GA matchmaking is based on Galactic Power, wouldn't that always pit whales against whales? As a whale, would you rather beat up on FTP players in arena and get crystals, or fight considerably more difficult (even) matches in GA for your crystals?
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    BeerGeek wrote: »
    Since GA matchmaking is based on Galactic Power, wouldn't that always pit whales against whales? As a whale, would you rather beat up on FTP players in arena and get crystals, or fight considerably more difficult (even) matches in GA for your crystals?

If I have 40 characters at G12 and everyone else at level 1, I might have the same Galactic Power as somebody who has every character in the game at gear 7. GP alone doesn't guarantee whales will fight whales, which is why so many people complain about it - they filled up their roster with g7-g8 fluff, and they get crushed by people who were more focused.

Before I get lambasted by the "BuT iT wAs fOR teRRiToRy BATtLes!" crowd, I understand that at one time it was considered advantageous to level up everyone a bit to increase your TB deploy value. I'm just explaining where some of the GA hate comes from.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• I like this too. Gets rid of the collusion problems as well
  • EAS
    89 posts Member
    Is there a tl;dr version of your post?

Literally less than a books page you fat lazy
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    I think the only solution is to drop yet another Friday announcement and ignore it afterwards
  • Stop advocating for things like this please. Not sure if you've noticed, but any time rewards get changed they do not ever change in our favor...
  • Good idea. As long as 3v3 GA gets canned.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Ship arena is where the whales hang out. Why would whales care about $3 in crystals on a squad arena payout. You can't buy zetas
    Ship arena is indeed where the whales hang out. Not only do you need to invest heavily (g12+5) in toons that are not needed elsewhere (until the falcon meta which whales all hate because it's easy to win with lesser built up ships) you need to put 6dot mods on all of them to ensure you've got the speed advantage. Ship arena forces you to really expand your roster at a much larger rate than squad arena and still has the same exploitation of spending desire for immediate results. Grand Arena doesn't provide the same kind of immediate spending results that squad arena and fleet arena do in terms of making your teams better and being able to see that immediately, plus you can still lose in Grand Arena as a whale because you get matched up against other whales, so while that makes the game mode more interesting, it doesn't put you at a clear advantage the way spending in squad arena and fleet arena does. Spending for the new hot meta when you're at a low GP will show obvious rewards increase in GA, but at the top end everyone else is already spending. You're just spending to stay where you are relative to them, whereas Squad + Fleet arena can let you spend to actually get ahead of the other people as theres a much larger pool of people to step on.

Then you add in the fact that there's only one thing you really can't buy in this game at that is more zeta materials. Which add to the power of your ships and toons which lets you continue to stomp on the people who don't spend as much. People pay for an advantage, GA doesn't allow people to pay for a clear advantage with the biggest whales, so there's not enough reason for CG/EA to switch that.

As much as I love GA, trying to make that the biggest source of crystals in the game would severely anger many whales and krakens and cut the income that CG/EA sees by a drastic amount.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    Vertigo wrote: »
    As much as I love GA, trying to make that the biggest source of crystals in the game would severely anger many whales and krakens and cut the income that CG/EA sees by a drastic amount.

People always doomsay about "angering the whales" but honestly whales are all severe addicts. I'm fairly certain 99% of them will keep playing no matter what. Yes, you'll get one or two that make big dramatic posts and quit the game, but most of them will just grumble a bunch and keep on playing and spending. And of the ones that do quit, half of them will come back.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png