Play Tester Program

Legend91
2441 posts Member
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/201929/i-assure-you-lord-vader#latest
"There are a number of changes we’re considering making to the testing process - see: Carrie’s recent overtures about our intention to potentially expand our balancing process to something akin to a Public Test Server that you see in complicated games like MMOs."

How about setting up a test server (just like those of the game changers) for a bigger number of people where we can test out upcoming characters before their release for a limited time. There could be "Dummy" chars (gray 3PO units) as placeholders and without battle animations. Preferably the only information being displayed should be tags as they might be important for a team synergy in the kit (if there is one) and the test server could be running for ~2 weeks before the char gets revealed like 3-4 weeks later with his final kit (~1-2 weeks in between for CG to adjust the char according to the feedback given by the testers) and released x weeks later.
buxe4ft7l9dr.png

To playtest that char against other squads there could be a "Defense Squad" place where you can set up your own team comp that you want your Dummy team to test against.
efl8o8frb70m.png

Just an idea, might be stupid, might be a thing, definitely has room for improvement.

PS: Yes, my paint skills are awesome.
Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg

Replies

• On the one hand, they're a capitalist business. Why should they get the labor of play testers for free?

On the other hand, a lot of people might like to do this if there was reasonable in-game compensation. It doesn't have to be a lot, but ... something. I'd still rather that playtesters get paid for the work since EA/CG is going to make money off their work, but with such a large fanbase if they offer this opportunity up with no pay there will be enough people jumping to do EA/CG's work for free that it's likely to at least make the outcome better. If people want to do it for free, I'm not going to stop them.

If they do do this, there would have to be another, private forum just for those playtesters to talk to each other. People could suggest crazy, off-the-wall ideas like using NS Zombie as lead against Darth Revan. Then a bunch of people can try it and we're likely to get better data about exactly when and how and how often those crazy ideas work. If it turns out that NS Zombie lead works 10% of the time on offense and never on defense, they can shrug it off. Yeah, it can win, but it's not a problem. If it works 90% of the time on offense and 5% of the time on defense, that's a real counter, and they have to decide whether they want to do anything about it. If it works 90% on offense and 50% on defense, that's a HUGE problem and needs a fix. But we can really only be sure of this kind of thing if we have a LOT of play testers all trying out a single crazy idea. And since there will likely be lots of crazy ideas, you'll need lots and lots of play testers. I don't know how many, but sure as heck it's way more than CG is using now.

...finally, I don't think the toons need to be made different colors: you would be logged into a separate test account, probably on a completely different app (obviously with a lot of shared code, but still a different app). There won't be any confusion.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    On the one hand, they're a capitalist business. Why should they get the labor of play testers for free?

They already do....and the entire player base is it.

"Thank you, Master....may I have another."
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Up voted for that beautiful artwork :)
  • If they did an open test server can see alot if the thrive of seeing whats needed will go away so they probably wont go that direction but could see a private test server lets say 100 or so per shard to test if not less with a none disclosure agreements so they can test out new legendaries and what not and test the difficulty of events also so stuff dosen't get leaked with out repercussions as they choose.
  • They need testers of all shapes and sizes.
    I would go to YouTube and see who really knows their stuff and who seems to always find a loop or loophole with kits that destroy raids or arena teams.

Let them go crazy and try everything. I think it’s important because players like this have a great mind for the game. I also don’t think people at CG can play this game like players do.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    On the other hand, a lot of people might like to do this if there was reasonable in-game compensation. It doesn't have to be a lot, but ... something. I'd still rather that playtesters get paid for the work since EA/CG is going to make money off their work, but with such a large fanbase if they offer this opportunity up with no pay there will be enough people jumping to do EA/CG's work for free that it's likely to at least make the outcome better. If people want to do it for free, I'm not going to stop them.
    As you said, there'd be enough ppl to do it for free. I'd gladly test out stuff and experiment as I like to theory craft stuff.
    If they do do this, there would have to be another, private forum just for those playtesters to talk to each other. People could suggest crazy, off-the-wall ideas like using NS Zombie as lead against Darth Revan.
    I think discord would be perfectly fine for this.
    could see a private test server lets say 100 or so per shard to test if not less with a none disclosure agreements so they can test out new legendaries and what not and test the difficulty of events also so stuff dosen't get leaked with out repercussions as they choose.
    They need testers of all shapes and sizes.
    I would go to YouTube and see who really knows their stuff and who seems to always find a loop or loophole with kits that destroy raids or arena teams.

Let them go crazy and try everything. I think it’s important because players like this have a great mind for the game. I also don’t think people at CG can play this game like players do.
    I think we need to find a balance here. On the one hand a bigger number of people would mean there's a higher chance that certain interactions might be found that even the guys with the greatest game knowledge couldn't discover right away (one day there might be an interaction that makes Geonosian Soldier OP and he's not one of these chars that you'd test immediately unlike JKR, DR, etc.). On the other hand the play testers should be a bit familiar with game mechanics so we don't just get "omg it can score 200k dmg hits, it MUST be broken!" feedback.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • The 100 or so per shard could equal 1-2k+ people if not more overall