Here’s a thought....Stop worrying about Arena!!!

Prev1
Darth
296 posts Member
Seriously there’s more to this game than Arena, just be happy with top 100 and move on. Don’t give any care about Arena or spending hundreds of dollars trying to keep up with the broken meta! Period! Arena is NOT worth it

Replies

• Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    True arena isn’t everything. I’m happy staying low rank, I quit worrying about it.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Especially with shard chats protecting the top spots anyway. I mean cmon
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Its crystal currency thats used for farming,arena is a big key to growing a roster
  • Meanwhile, a vast majority of the top spots just buy a seemingly infinite amount of crystals in order to keep collecting those new shiny binary pokemans. In the grand scheme of things, those “free” crystals are most likely a mere afterthought to them. Considering it would barely make a dent in comparison to the amount they continually invest in with real money.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    If worrying about arena rank results in a less enjoyable gaming experience, for sure stop worrying about it. Other than that, arena is the main source of crystals which can increase your rate of progression quite a bit, so giving that up is not an easy choice.
    Personally i gave up on fleet for that reason, i don't like fleet and it takes me too much effort to rank high. Instead of feeling like i'm missing out every day if i don't do my fleet battles (which i don't enjoy), i just gave up on the mode and stopped caring. Much more enjoyable imo.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • You cannot invest in any toon! CG will nerf them as soon as a whale is crying.
  • @leef:

you do you, of course, but I found that the meta in fleet changes much more slowly, and reaching #1 in fleet gets me almost as much in crystals as #1 in Squad.

Here's the thing about the lower payout, though: If I have to spend fewer crystals to keep my #1 spot, then my net profit is greater. Chasing the meta to get # 1 in squad is too difficult and requires too much spending. I've been finishing #80-90 lately and i don't try to go higher. My gaming experience is more enjoyable, and I wouldn't be able to make much more of a dent even with a meta team since I don't have the mods that the top 50 have.

I also content myself with 2 wins in GA. On the off chance I win my first two fights, my opponent for #1 in GA usually thrashes me. But I usually win one by someone not trying. I almost always win one more close one. My roster isn't lean, so expecting #1 is unrealistic.

So that's my PvP strategy: #1 in fleet (which I also think is a less interesting/fun game mode, but it's easier to maintain a high rank), #2-4 in GA, and #51-100 in squad.

That's been more than enough to keep me much better fed in crystals than most of my F2P peers. My roster growth over the last 6 months has dramatically outpaced what it was before, and even if I'm not current with the meta, I can succeed in every game mode other than squad and GA. And that's really what I want: I want to play and have fun. Spreading the shard & gear wealth among many factions doesn't win you Squad Arena, but it means I never miss out on anything, I don't have to ask anyone else to carry my weight in TB or TW. I solo HAAT & Rancor. I get 7-15th in HSTR when I try and 21-25 when I don't.

So yeah, crystal income is important and I couldn't solo HAAT if I hadn't been finishing #1 in fleet, but Squad Arena?

Way too cutthroat to be fun, and on top of that it costs more in crystals than it pays you back.

#1 in Squad Arena is the worst value in the game.
  • Darth wrote: »
    Seriously there’s more to this game than Arena, just be happy with top 100 and move on. Don’t give any care about Arena or spending hundreds of dollars trying to keep up with the broken meta! Period! Arena is NOT worth it

Top 100? Only way to do that consistently in my (less than a year old) shard is with JKR. That is, with the meta.
  • @leef:

you do you, of course, but I found that the meta in fleet changes much more slowly, and reaching #1 in fleet gets me almost as much in crystals as #1 in Squad.

Here's the thing about the lower payout, though: If I have to spend fewer crystals to keep my #1 spot, then my net profit is greater. Chasing the meta to get # 1 in squad is too difficult and requires too much spending. I've been finishing #80-90 lately and i don't try to go higher. My gaming experience is more enjoyable, and I wouldn't be able to make much more of a dent even with a meta team since I don't have the mods that the top 50 have.

I also content myself with 2 wins in GA. On the off chance I win my first two fights, my opponent for #1 in GA usually thrashes me. But I usually win one by someone not trying. I almost always win one more close one. My roster isn't lean, so expecting #1 is unrealistic.

So that's my PvP strategy: #1 in fleet (which I also think is a less interesting/fun game mode, but it's easier to maintain a high rank), #2-4 in GA, and #51-100 in squad.

That's been more than enough to keep me much better fed in crystals than most of my F2P peers. My roster growth over the last 6 months has dramatically outpaced what it was before, and even if I'm not current with the meta, I can succeed in every game mode other than squad and GA. And that's really what I want: I want to play and have fun. Spreading the shard & gear wealth among many factions doesn't win you Squad Arena, but it means I never miss out on anything, I don't have to ask anyone else to carry my weight in TB or TW. I solo HAAT & Rancor. I get 7-15th in HSTR when I try and 21-25 when I don't.

So yeah, crystal income is important and I couldn't solo HAAT if I hadn't been finishing #1 in fleet, but Squad Arena?

Way too cutthroat to be fun, and on top of that it costs more in crystals than it pays you back.

I mostly agree with this but it’s an underlying issue I’m fighting with. Fleet arena is less fun. So I’m stuck focusing on something I find less fun to stay somewhat competitive in the game. At that point, really, the best option may just be uninstall.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef:

My comment wasn't meant as an advice to skip fleet, but to show that stopping to care can increase player enjoyment. My choice to skip fleet is more about personal preference than anything else.

I disagree. Fleet is just a small part of the game compared to squad. Sure, there are a couple of fleet territories in TB/TW/GA, but you'll be just fine with a minimal investment.
    A minimal investment in squad however will make you less competitive pretty much everywhere ingame, which also means that it's more rewording to have a decked out squad than it is to have a decked out fleet. I guess what i'm trying to say is that staying on top of squad arena trickles down to other game modes, increasing the value of #1 in squad.
    I did unlock the falcon when it was released though, and a realize it could have been a deciding factor in GA/TW if i didn't. Unfortunately my entire top50 (and who knows how many more) unlocked the falcon on my fleet leaderboard, so it didn't lead to top10 ranks at the time ;)
  • It's not only Arena but GA that you get affected by Nerf's and malak
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • Arena is the most important thing to me. Without those extra crystals I’d end up spending more than I already do. It’s easy to say “don’t worry about arena no more”...but when you get your top rank for 3 years plus ....it’s not easy to just give up.

Without those crystal I never would have been able to progress my roster as much as I did without spending.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    I don't stress too much about arena, but people will always obsess over it because crystals. Nevermind that you have to spend a ton on crystals to GET those crystals...but yeah, people aren't interested in logic.

(Cue somebody telling me I'm an **** because they've "never spent a dime and they always get #1 and GOD just learn to MANAGE RESOURCES this game is about MaNAGinG ReSoUrCeS rabble rabble rabble")
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »
    I don't stress too much about arena, but people will always obsess over it because crystals. Nevermind that you have to spend a ton on crystals to GET those crystals...but yeah, people aren't interested in logic.

(Cue somebody telling me I'm an **** because they've "never spent a dime and they always get #1 and GOD just learn to MANAGE RESOURCES this game is about MaNAGinG ReSoUrCeS rabble rabble rabble")

i'm a resource management god, obviously.
    Honestly though, the difference between #1 and top100 daily adds up quick. Over the course of a month you'll earn 12.000 more crystals. That's roughly $100 per month. An argument could definately be made that spending to get a higher rank "pays off".
    End of the day it's still money out of your pocket and it's not like you're earning your money back, so there's that aswell.
  • To each their own. People enjoy different parts of the game more than others.

I stepped back from arena because it wasn’t worth my time. I hover around 100. My shard is really enjoyable too. Wonderful people. A really good mix of spenders and 1 crazy hoarder lol
    There are consequences for me stepping back though - my roster will not grow as fast with out that crystal income and that’s my choice.

A lot of people love the pvp aspect let them enjoy it.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Jarvind wrote: »

My arena budget is 150 crystals, I dont always spend it, but I plan to for my crystal income budget.

You dont have to spend a lot to try and stay top. Most days I spend a refresh on battles to position for the next day, not always just to get my PO for that day.

The logic you are missing is planning spending.(Haha, I didnt say resource management....)
  • I sit between 200 and 150. I won't get higher without spending money.

I won't spend money so - it is what it is.
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    and give up those crystals? no thanks
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    I sit between 200 and 150. I won't get higher without spending money.

Get lucky on a few mods and you sure will go much higher.

It's the major equalizer in the game. You can't spend your way to a 28 speed secondary.
  • I sit between 200 and 150. I won't get higher without spending money.

I sit around the same. Who needs the headache of top 50.. feh..
  • Top 100 is just fine for me. It’s too much of a PITA to go higher.
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    With no counters to Malak in arena plus the recent hard nodes down to 5 attempts Ftp has been gated. Only reason to play arena is the crystals to upgrade roster. The real game is GA and TW but ftp now won’t be able to put up much of a fight like I said GATED.