How GA feels without Darth Revan

Prev1
Being in the 3.7-3.9 million bracket statistically I have an incredibly high chance of having to face at least one other player with Darth Revan. I lose my previous one in a tie because I took 1 extra attempt to beat him and I cleared everything else with 1 attempt. He blundered and we tied but he won.

This time I am facing another one on round 1. Once more i unfortunately took 2 attempts to beat him, I'm 100% going to lose this one because I went light on defense to compensate for not having Revan.

GA has been ruined for me, another mode I was super excited about is now a matter of getting er done. I am no longer looking forward to GA like I did before. It's become another event that you participate for mediocre rewards.

This is what power creep does to a game, it sucks out all the fun. What's even more interesting is that my opponent doesn't get to enjoy using his Darth Revan on offense because he kind of has to place him on defense to secure the win. He only gets to enjoy his extra rewards. Time and time again the increasing power creep is proven to be a detriment to a game, sucking the competition out of a mode that's inheritently competitive.

The game would benefit from having as many top tier teams as possible, and yet day in and day out players support dumb nerfs and buffs designed to do nothing but DECREASE the number of teams that are able to compete at the top.

Hypothetically if you take two players who have identical accounts and you add an extra character with a strong leadership to the one account, that player already gains an advantage. As long as that leader character can build a squad that is stronger than the most powerful squad under the maximum slot limit ×2, you have given them a huge advantage. This squad doesn't have to be the strongest in the game by a mile in order to accomplish that.

Anyways, I hope this provides some insight to those who read it.

Replies

• YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Saying the entire mode is "ruined" because there is one squad you don't have a good counter for yet seems rather melodramatic.
    Still not a he.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    And this is why characters like Anakin in his current form are ok and I hope he doesnt get nerfed. Finn was another good counter-meta lead, but we know what happened to him...

But to Address GA: Look it stinks. But literally if there wasnt a new Big Shiney that you MUST have to be top tier every few months, the game would not make money and die. I agree with you that JKR (not DR) is unbalanced too much and he just blows to face in any form if you dont have him. A Pox on him.

It IS possible to win such games though and I have beat people with both Revans and Traya and I only have JKR and no Traya. And before I had JKR I beat players with him. I just counted on not beating JKR on Offense, saved a few better teams for D and hoped they would falter - and they did. (Qira Scoundrels, hidden/buffered properly, and NS or JKR on O have won me many matches). You don't have to put JKR on D every time, even though its tempting. Especially if you believe he is going to one-shot you anyway. Teams that counter attack, even if you know they will lose, reduce enemy points some. Also even if you dont have the best mods, having deep mods help a lot. Many people have crap mods after their top 2 or 3 teams.

But I do lose most of those unbalanced matches. I don't like it either. Just mix up your D and hope for the best - and get the Big Shiney first go next time. Or just live with the consequences and enjoy the GA matches for what they are: good PvP fun.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Also - can someone explain to me how so many people are claiming ties after both sides have actually attacked? Given the current scoring system I don't see how it can happen with any regularity. Literally 1 point of damage to protection in one single battle breaks a tie.

Am I missing something obvious?
  • Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    Also - can someone explain to me how so many people are claiming ties after both sides have actually attacked? Given the current scoring system I don't see how it can happen with any regularity. Literally 1 point of damage to protection in one single battle breaks a tie.

It's entirely possible, I've had numerous ones finihs within 5-6 banners. Most players set weak defense and try to win by getting the most banners so everyone is around 61-58 banners with each battle
  • Options

I don't think you actually need full protection to get the full protection bonus, I think you still get it if you've only taken trivial damage. I'm not sure where the threshold is tbh
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    Options
    Yeap, either you have DR and Malak or you lose. Pretty pathetic game design.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    seems to me that if you can down the team in 2 attempts, you've got a shot at winning. Obviously it's gonna be harder than vs players without drevan/malak, but that's one of the perks of unlocking hard to get characters.
    Also, lets not pretent this is a new issue. Even before drevan/malak quite a large portion of my opponents didn't really stand a chance.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Im happy our Malaks are making you lose your GAs and cause you such a headache ;)

Git gud, learn to manage your resources and use your crystal income wisely.
  • Options
    Im happy our Malaks are making you lose your GAs and cause you such a headache ;)

Spoken like a true whale.
  • Options
    Hálcyøn wrote: »

Spoken like a true whale.

Im full f2p.
    Thats why I told op to manage his resources/crystal income better, because thats all it takes really.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    seems to me that if you can down the team in 2 attempts, you've got a shot at winning. Obviously it's gonna be harder than vs players without drevan/malak, but that's one of the perks of unlocking hard to get characters.
    Also, lets not pretent this is a new issue. Even before drevan/malak quite a large portion of my opponents didn't really stand a chance.

This and the fact that you went light on D.

It would seem you had a chance but out of fear or poor planning gave it up.
  • Options
    ^ Truth.

I am perpetually nauseated by responses like "get gud", and "learn to manage your resources better".

Like life, the problems faced in this game can often be solved by throwing money at it. In some cases, solving the problem without money approaches impossibility. Yet people on top, either unware of their privileged position or unwilling to acknowledge it, equate their success with some character flaw they have surmounted rather than their economic position, and then use this fallacy to dump superiority all over those that could not solve the problem with cash. This is an instance of life imitating art that makes me sick.

I recognize there are exceptions to this, that there are people who can, at least sometimes be able to "get gud" without the cash, but by and large their success via meticulous planning and execution is used as a shield to defend the perceived superiority of those who paid -- "see, it's possible!"

I also recognize that the game has to make money. I have zero problem with people solving their farming shortfalls with money. Just don't go around whalesplaining to the plebs that winning just takes being a better person when you do so.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Easybee wrote: »
    ^ Truth.

I am perpetually nauseated by responses like "get gud", and "learn to manage your resources better".

Like life, the problems faced in this game can often be solved by throwing money at it. In some cases, solving the problem without money approaches impossibility. Yet people on top, either unware of their privileged position or unwilling to acknowledge it, equate their success with some character flaw they have surmounted rather than their economic position, and then use this fallacy to dump superiority all over those that could not solve the problem with cash. This is an instance of life imitating art that makes me sick.

I recognize there are exceptions to this, that there are people who can, at least sometimes be able to "get gud" without the cash, but by and large their success via meticulous planning and execution is used as a shield to defend the perceived superiority of those who paid -- "see, it's possible!"

I also recognize that the game has to make money. I have zero problem with people solving their farming shortfalls with money. Just don't go around whalesplaining to the plebs that winning just takes being a better person when you do so.

the exceptions aren't the ones who actually can get good, the exceptions are the ones for whom it is impossible to do any better.
    Pretty much everyone can do better than they're doing. While snarky responses like git gud etc are not helpfull at all, it's usually a valid advice.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The issue I take with the pseudo "git gud" responses is that your can't. If you do, CG is going to nerf your creativity anyway. If CG continues to actively nerf all counters to DR+Malak, it does seem disingenuous of them to match up GA players against each other, where one player has both, and other players have neither.

Those players that have both already have advantages in arena, TW, and all of the other areas of the game. GA is generally designed to be a game mode where closely similar rosters are supposed to be matched up. If one side has DR+Malak, the other doesn't and all of the counters have been intentionally neutered, that doesn't seem very sporting.

Just to be clear - I have neither. The last two GA's I have beaten players who have both. Just because it's possible, doesn't make it equitable. I have also had GA's where I have JKR - and the other player doesn't and I hate it. I win easily and I don't think that's fair either.

The GA match up algorithm should account for some of the OP synergies that exist in the newer kits better than it does. Most players want a fun, competitive experience in GA.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Most players want a fun, competitive experience in GA.

Most players want good rewards with the minimum effort.
    GA is a terrible game mode by design. It is a huge time sink, and 7 out of 8 players will feel that they lost (they didnt get 1st). Thats 88% of the playerbase.

If you actually want a fun, competitive experience, then you need to focus on it. Its easy if you set this your primary target. All it takes is to select the necessary 50 characters, constantly work on them, and dont ever spend anything on anything else. A 6th ns beyond g8? Forget it. A cool ship that is sometimes nice? Forget it. Your favorite sith? Forget it.
    You dont like Grievous? It doesnt matter, you must level it to counter DR/Malak.
    Thats how you become competitive in GA.

So yeah, 'git gud' isnt very explicit, but it is actually what is needed. Set your target and then do it. If GA is important to you and youre still losing after a few months, youre simply bad.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options

GA is a terrible game mode by design. It is a huge time sink, and 7 out of 8 players will feel that they lost (they didnt get 1st). Thats 88% of the playerbase.

This is how competition works. Should They give out more than one 1st place prize?
  • Options

This is how competition works. Should They give out more than one 1st place prize?

Yes. Make duels only, not 8 man tournaments. That way, 50% of the players will feel victory. Much better than 12%.
    ..but thats not the design. GA was never designed to be fun. It was designed this way to make you angry and motivate you to spend.

As such, saying that jkr/malak sucks the fun out of GA is nonsense. It was never meant to be fun.
  • Poop
    2 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I'm completely free the play. The reason for this is not because I don't have the money to throw at a game, but because I have **** luck. I recognize that I could throw a thousand dollars at this game for those character packs and still not get enough shards for the character I want to be 7*, or enough gear to make them useful. With the percentage of getting what you want and how much of it you need is extremely low, the only way to guarantee you get what you want (character-wise, that is) is to drop enough money for 66 packs of a specific character. That's enough to 7* that character should you happen to get only 5 shards in each pack. As for gear, I've spent a thousand crystals on energy boosters and only came out with two pieces of one gear I needed for GL VIII. So yeah, I don't spend money and save my crystals to get the guaranteed shards and gear in shipments. I got my entire Clone team this way back in the day, and Vet Han and Chewie before they were available elsewhere.
  • Options
    "git gud", saying that to person who has won almost all his GAs up until Revan. Whatever, if "git gud' means obsessively saving crystals and gear then I'll stay bad
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    "git gud", saying that to person who has won almost all his GAs up until Revan. Whatever, if "git gud' means obsessively saving crystals and gear then I'll stay bad

Sadly, "git gud" has simply become, "spend when, how and how often CG demands". It has nothing to do with "good" - and has everything to do with following CG's prescribed path of play.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options

Sadly, "git gud" has simply become, "spend when, how and how often CG demands". It has nothing to do with "good" - and has everything to do with following CG's prescribed path of play.

He's childish it doesn't bother me. The thing is like someone said above, that as soon as you discover a squad that beats their new prized possession, the developers swoop in and nerf it to oblivion.
    So it's like "git gud" and have the dev's muscle to back you up. I remember a time when if you didn't get the newest legendary it wasn't the end of the world, you'd still struggle but you knew it was a matter of time for someone to come up with something to beat them. In fact many players build their strategy around going for the counter instead of stressing over chasing the meta. Now I guess this has changed, you either stress for the meta or you don't stand a chance. You found something that works, keep it to yourself and hope it stays unnoticeable for as long as possible before the nerf hammer comes swiftly and ruins it. But yeah, totally "git gud" is the answer. To him I'd say "do it yourself, stop using the dev muscle to babysit you".
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    98% of all GA bashing threads can be summed up as follows:

"I got matched up with a person whose roster was stronger than mine, and I didn't want to have to try, so I just gave up."

I've won matches against people with much stronger rosters than mine, and I've lost against people with weaker rosters, either because I got reckless and made dumb mistakes or because they modded a "bad" team really well or something. Or most frequently because they had a strong Nightsister team on D and I still haven't built my Imperial Troopers.

Point is, you may lose due to your opponent having an advantage, but you'll definitely lose if you just throw up your hands every time you get a tough matchup.

71t7p4hX88L._SL1500_.jpg
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options

To be fair, there werent too many GAs up until Revan, lol.
    Git gud means what it means. If your GA win rate is decreasing over time, and not increasing, youre simply bad at this game.
  • Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    98% of all GA bashing threads can be summed up as follows:

"I got matched up with a person whose roster was stronger than mine, and I didn't want to have to try, so I just gave up."

I've won matches against people with much stronger rosters than mine, and I've lost against people with weaker rosters, either because I got reckless and made dumb mistakes or because they modded a "bad" team really well or something. Or most frequently because they had a strong Nightsister team on D and I still haven't built my Imperial Troopers.

Point is, you may lose due to your opponent having an advantage, but you'll definitely lose if you just throw up your hands every time you get a tough matchup.

71t7p4hX88L._SL1500_.jpg

Dude you're totally taking things out of context. I basically just told you I came in a tie with a guy who has the most powerful squad in the game and don't. I also just said I cleared a guy fully but again but I lost an attempt to his Revan which cost me the match. Do I sound like I'm not trying to win?

You're comparing a boxer who's fighting another boxer. What if that boxer had to fight against a bear? Or a gorilla? Would you say the same thing then? Worst thing you can do to make your case is to exaggerate and misquote people's words, it really doesn't serve you well
  • Options

Git gud means what it means. If your GA win rate is decreasing over time, and not increasing, youre simply bad at this game.

So unless I save my crystals I am a bad player? Yeah this conversation is over you're a troll and you don't deserve people's time.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

So unless I save my crystals I am a bad player? Yeah this conversation is over you're a troll and you don't deserve people's time.

It’s your choice to save resources or not, but if you aren’t willing to save them and you also aren’t willing to spend money, then you know you’re not going to get the latest exclusive characters so you should expect to be less competitive in PvP game modes against those who made different choices.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    nvm, poster above me adressed all the points i wanted to make.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

So unless I save my crystals I am a bad player?

If you're not saving crystals you're probably gonna miss out on the latest and the greatest more often than not. The choice is yours.
    Does it you a bad player if you don't? Probably, to a certain degree. imo, the benefits of being able to unlock the latest and the greatest far outweight the benefits of spending your crystals as soon as you get them.
    Liath wrote: »

It’s your choice to save resources or not, but if you aren’t willing to save them and you also aren’t willing to spend money, then you know you’re not going to get the latest exclusive characters so you should expect to be less competitive in PvP game modes against those who made different choices. [/quotreca,There's a small detail you're missing. There is never a guarantee that no matter how much you save you will always be able to get the latest character. Bad RNG with packs, potentially the devs forcing you spend to unlock. These hero journey characters also unlock at 7 stars making it really difficult to predict and accurately calculate how much exactly you need.

On top of that this strategy is effective for those who have jumped on it early. It's hard to save when you're still trying to catch up to the previous characters