GA Match Up - Explain on how you would win?

2Next

Replies

• Have you tried coming to the forum and whining about how it’s unfair?
  • BeralCator wrote: »
    The matchmaking algorithm simply can't go through every single character in your roster and gauge whether or not it's a "fair" match. It would have to say "well, player B has Traya and player A doesn't, but player A does have Thrawn and Magma so let's check their speeds to see if player A has a shot at beating player B's Traya. Now moving on, let's look at possible JKR counters..."
    It would be a massively unwieldy algorithm unless they just kept all those stats for every player in anticipation of each GA. The algorithm would have to be reworked every time a new character came out to account for new counters and things as well. Much better to just do it based on GP and let people optimize their rosters or not. Do you want players to only ever be matched up against players who have the same top 50 characters as themselves? Is the solution to these unfair matches to make it so every battle is 100% mirror matches that are won by speed mods? Sounds boring to me.

The better solution is to change the GP calculation itself to more accurately reflect utility. For example, the points allocated for gear are almost linear, when they should actually be exponential. A G12+3 character is 177748 GP while a G8+3 is 13648; in no universe is the latter 75% of the value of the former. Character rarity is also overvalued in the calculation, with the jump from 6* to 7* adding over 3000 GP by itself!

There's nothing wrong with the matchmaking algorithm; it's the underlying data that isn't very good. Redoing the GP formula would result in matchups that at least had a relatively consistent amount of G12 characters and zetas, while still giving a wide variety in roster types and mods. Wouldn't be mirrors, as the algorithm wouldn't differentiate between G12 Lobot and G12 Palpatine or between zetas on Bastila and Clone Wars Chewbacca. Bad rosters would still be bad, and good rosters would still be good, but there'd be a lot less of the ugly matchups where one guy has 50 G12 & 10 G1 and the other guy has 10 G12 & 55 G8.

The sub-G8 gear isn't a limited resource and doesn't bring characters to a useable level, ergo it really shouldn't be worth nearly any GP. As they say in the big data business; garbage in, garbage out.

This, a thousand times this.

They've already reworked power calculations once, they can do it again.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • You wouldn't, why don't u have Traya?

You're asking the wrong question... the better question would be why match these two opponents up when one really can't compete with the other. One sided competitions aren't compelling or entertaining for either side. Would you go watch a high school basketball team compete against 2nd graders?

That is not the same equivalency. High School Basketball team vs 2nd grader would not be fair. If you want a similar comparative. It would be 2 high school teams. one team practices every day, the other does not. The practicing team is the one who geared certain toons and did not build up fluff GP. The other team is the one that wanted a bunch of G7/G8 toons.
  • Well if you want to take the thread this direction so be it. I was looking for a community thought process for how to be competitive given this match up.

Well based on the extensive information you provided about the matchup, I'd use your good teams to beat his good teams, and use your other good teams on defense.

This thread was never about how to be competitive. Your second sentence clearly demonstrates that this was another GA matchmaking whine thread.
  • Well if you want to take the thread this direction so be it. I was looking for a community thought process for how to be competitive given this match up.

Well based on the extensive information you provided about the matchup, I'd use your good teams to beat his good teams, and use your other good teams on defense.

This thread was never about how to be competitive. Your second sentence clearly demonstrates that this was another GA matchmaking whine thread.

So it's not possible that the thread could be about two things? First, how to be competitive given the match up and second how a discord bot can gather the data quickly for a, still flawed, yet useful comparison, however CG can not.

In order for the game to exist and be healthy you need both the F2P and the P2P players. If there were no F2P players the game population would be significantly smaller. So there is a need to make the game modes enjoyable for both styles of play ensuring a large enough player base to have these types of competitions.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Well if you want to take the thread this direction so be it. I was looking for a community thought process for how to be competitive given this match up.

So it's not possible that the thread could be about two things? First, how to be competitive given the match up and second how a discord bot can gather the data quickly for a, still flawed, yet useful comparison, however CG can not.

There’s no evidence that CG “can’t” do that. It’s at least equally and probably more plausible that they have chosen not to because their aim with GA (like most everything else) is to incentivize people to spend money to improve their chances.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Well if you want to take the thread this direction so be it. I was looking for a community thought process for how to be competitive given this match up.

So it's not possible that the thread could be about two things? First, how to be competitive given the match up ...

That was answered right here:

You didn't provide enough details for a detailed answer.
    ...and second how a discord bot can gather the data quickly for a, still flawed, yet useful comparison, however CG can not.

Of course they can. They are the ones providing the data for that discord bot. What's your point (if not to simply complain about matchmaking like all before you)?
    I have a hard time seeing, that you're really looking for advice (given information provided and your dismissal of the advice given).
    In order for the game to exist and be healthy you need both the F2P and the P2P players. If there were no F2P players the game population would be significantly smaller. So there is a need to make the game modes enjoyable for both styles of play ensuring a large enough player base to have these types of competitions.

Current matchmaking is fair given that we all battle for the same prizes. Players with strong rosters should benefit like they do currently. That gives an incentive to improve your roster, which I for one find fun and motivational.

If all you're looking for is an easier match-up, then be patient and wait for the introduction of tiered GA based on past performance.

• Saada
    664 posts Member
    The key to this is.... You have the same gp but he invested better so suck it up since you don't deserve first place. Why should you get an easire matchup and in turn win better rewards then this guy when he has played the game better than you.....
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Saada wrote: »
    The key to this is.... You have the same gp but he invested better so suck it up since you don't deserve first place. Why should you get an easire matchup and in turn win better rewards then this guy when he has played the game better than you.....

This is an ignorant post. The player on the left simply wants to be as competitive as possible given this match up. Why is it such a crime to desire to be competitive? So many people have said "suck it up and enjoy your last place rewards" why should anyone be satisfied with that response? I'm thankful to the few people who actually proposed a strategy.
    Post edited by Dar_Penthar on
  • Hortus
    621 posts Member
    This is an ignorant post. The player on the lefts simply wants to be as competitive as possible given this match up. Why is it such a crime to desire to be competitive? So many people have said "suck it up and enjoy your last place rewards" why should anyone be satisfied with that response? I'm thankful to the few people who actually proposed a strategy.

That post indeed is ignorant but yours as well in a degree. The problem is that it's not enough to just want to be competitive. All people want to win, you know. But not all can. You need to actually do something for that. Think about your options in the current match, to begin with. Then improve your roster for further battles.

When ranked GA will be introduced, if you are good at GA strategy and tactics you will rise in ranks. And you will eventually always almost be matched against opponents with stronger roster as consequence. Will you complain about that too? And if you are not good... well, eventually your rank will fall and you will be matched against weaker rosters lead by better players. Should they also complain against your roster?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

This is an ignorant post. The player on the left simply wants to be as competitive as possible given this match up. Why is it such a crime to desire to be competitive?

If he really wants to be competitive, he should follow the advice already given on how to improve his roster. You've been given a lot of advice. Why do you dismis it? Take the advice an be competitive.
    So many people have said "suck it up and enjoy your last place rewards" why should anyone be satisfied with that response?

If he has a competitive attitude, he wouldn't be satisfied with last place rewards. He would start preparing for future GAs by improving his roster and strategy. There's advice for this to be found in this discussion.
    I'm thankful to the few people who actually proposed a strategy.

You're welcome.

• Saada
    664 posts Member

This is an ignorant post. The player on the left simply wants to be as competitive as possible given this match up. Why is it such a crime to desire to be competitive? So many people have said "suck it up and enjoy your last place rewards" why should anyone be satisfied with that response? I'm thankful to the few people who actually proposed a strategy.

It's a truthful post.

Unless there is better rewards for someone with a toon gp of 1.5 mil being matched up with someone with 2mil toon gp just so it's a fair match then it shouldn't happen. Competitive or not, people shouldn't be punished for investing wisely and completing more solid teams.

If this did happen then what incentive would I have to improve my roster? I gear another 5 g12s and then get match up with a 2.3mil toon gp and so on.

The better players are the ones who invest wisely, finish whole squads, don't gear one character and then another random character, don't waste zetas etc if you have the same total gp as your opponent and have no chance of winning, that's on you.......
  • @Kyno This is a duplicate thread and can be deleted
This discussion has been closed.