What is it called again?

Prev1
Zolaz
392 posts Member
When you pay for something and it gives you an advantage that no one else can match?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    What's it called when you get the same thing for free?
  • Privilege
    Started July 2016, completely FTP : https://swgoh.gg/u/rogenhamen/
  • Lasod
    52 posts Member
    Its called Financial comfort. its a reward from the irl game where you work hard and earn more than you need to survive. some people start the game with bonus stats because mommy and daddy did it or grand mommy and daddy did it.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    giphy.gif
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Owning a professional sports team? Motorsport? Reality?
  • Zolaz
    392 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

You are going to have to explain to me, Kyno how you can get Darth Revan or Malak for free right now.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Zolaz wrote: »

You are going to have to explain to me, Kyno how you can get Darth Revan or Malak for free right now.
    Same way you can get Darth Revan or Malak with a credit card

Wait for the event to start, and meet the requirements
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member

Good resource management, keeping up to date with the latest info on the game, ability to extrapolate from that info and a bit of luck.
  • UdalCuain
    5009 posts Member
    edited April 2019

Plenty got DR for free on the initial run, so many that it triggered the return to 5 node attempts. We had at least 15 F2P Darth Revan in our guild. Less so with Malak, but those that built a Carth OR squad were ready.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Four, actually. One each at G8, 9, 10, and 11.

https://swgoh.gg/characters/darth-malak/gear-list/
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Once Malak is more accessible, you can bet 50 threads about the gear wall complain and purple drop rates
  • Zolaz
    392 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »

Good resource management, keeping up to date with the latest info on the game, ability to extrapolate from that info and a bit of luck.

Plenty got DR for free on the initial run, so many that it triggered the return to 5 node attempts. We had at least 15 F2P Darth Revan in our guild. Less so with Malak, but those that built a Carth OR squad were ready.

Oh, you feel like the Darth Revan and Malak events were made to accommodate F2P players? I wonder what percentage of the player base picked those characters up for free. Of those players who do have DR and Malak how many paid for them?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »

I got DR and Malak without spending. The key was not blowing my crystal stash on that GG distraction. I’m pretty depleted right now.....stupid Malak requiring THREE OF THE NEW GEAR PIECES. /rant.

Not worth the investment, imo, but of course it depends on your shard. I can get into top 20 with my Malak-less DR squad, and if gearing him up enabled me to get into top 10, it would take two months to pay off just one piece of gear from the crystal difference. I expect the new gear to start dropping somewhere (presumably the new TB) well before that.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Easy to talk when you're placing 1st in both arenas every day. But when you're in a tough shard and you're placing 50-20 you can't do the same.

But to answer your question what is it called, I have a few possible answers:

Luck
    Insider info
    No life, spending all your time in forums and YouTube
    Having a shard chat that allows your to get to the top for payouts

Hoarding a ton of crystals which often times requires one or more of the above.
  • Zolaz wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

Oh, you feel like the Darth Revan and Malak events were made to accommodate F2P players? I wonder what percentage of the player base picked those characters up for free. Of those players who do have DR and Malak how many paid for them?

Your initial statement says an advantage that no one else can match. That is factually incorrect. That's what Kyno was pointing out.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    I felt that way at first, but just buckled up and threw the majority of my energy at it. Got one to 25 salvage, buy the rest with 700 crystals at the end of that farm. Repeat on the other piece. Repeat again at next gear level. Spacing it out a bit like that made it more palatable.

I only have one more to go now and I have to get him to 7* anyway.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    "Right now" is not a reasonable expectation.

There's a barrier to entry. With luck and difficulty, it was surmountable without spending. Yes, it was a high barrier. Yes, it was hard to do. Yes, most people did not do it.

And that's fine. Work toward the goals. Get them next time.

The principal goal of a new event character is not to give you a new toon right now. It's to give you a new goal to work toward, because that is the foundation of gameplay. If most players get the new shiny first try, then they haven't generated much in the way of new goals or gameplay.

The farm is the game.
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    THIS should be the issue that we are all up in arms about. 4 new pieces with HORRIBLE drops rates and not available in any of the stores, except for crystals. I can see having 2 required, 3 is a bit heavy handed, but 4 is a huge slap to everyone, especially for the people that paid to get him.....at 5 stars....disgraceful.
    The drop rate seems to be pretty normal, though I haven;t seen anyone compile a spreadsheet on it yetl. And the number on Malak is, quite frankly, arbitrary. There's something of a time table on Devan because they need to be ready for the Malak event, but there's no such timetable on Malak, who you can gear at your leisure.

New content comes to the game. That can include new gear. And after the initial release, it's just there as an established part of the game.

Functionally, the new gear makes sense. Devan and Malak are the most endgame content we have right now. And that's fine; new content tends to rotate. Some's early game friendly (Kevan very much so), some's fairly late-game focused.

I've been playing for over two years, free to play, usually spending 150 crystals/day on energy. I'm down to about a dozen farms left on the light/dark tables, until I'm down to farms I have little use for like Lobot for platoons, and I'm doing eight of those dozen farms in parallel right now. Adding new gear to a node for a late-game character serves the function of putting in a resource sink for late game players who have limited use for standard energy. And right now, on top of my eight parallel farms, I can still spare about sixty energy a day to collect some of those pieces in preparation for the next Devan event.

This isn't cruelty or incompetency or evil. It's game design.
    Still not a he.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Easy to talk when you're placing 1st in both arenas every day. But when you're in a tough shard and you're placing 50-20 you can't do the same.

Luck
    Insider info

Funny you left off resource management, ya know the back bone of the game.

Placing top 5 in both arenas takes a level of commitment not everyone has, for sure, but you cant really blame your shard for you not placing higher.
  • I'm just slow farming that new gear. Only spend 50 crystals a day (one normal energy refresh)

No refresh in either arena and no spending on gear. Have to save 5 or 6 vaults of crystals before new meta hits
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Luck
    Insider info

or just not being a noob
    giphy.gif
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

Only after it's been made semi worthless "imo"
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Dk_rek wrote: »

You do realize that some got him for free the first go around right?
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    But it’s not an established part....yet. The only new year we have got since launch is g12 pieces and we only got that because g12 didn’t exist yet. I completely understand why they did it, and I’m just ranting about it mostly, but with gold eyeballs, stun guns and Carbantis still needed, it’s a slap to have four of the new gear piece required on a toon that was already super hard to get. On top of that, the pieces are not in any store ( sans for crystals) unlike all other purple gear. Throw us a bone is all I’m asking.
    No, it is not a slap of any sort. Not a slap in the face, not a slap on the butt, not a slap on the hand. There is no slapping.

Just a reasonable game design decision you happen to dislike because it doesn't completely favor where you're at and what you're doing right now. That does not make it a slap.

Yes, it's not as readily accessible. That's the point. It's a pacing decision. It's supposed to slow some people down so it's not just 7* G12+ Malak everywhere immediately, so that the introduction of the new content is less an instant transformation and more an integration.

And new stuff gets added to the game all the time. That's normal. That's reasonable. Some of it will be similar to stuff we've seen before. Some of it won't. That's what makes it new. This time, it was gear. Have they done new mid-range gear before? No. But they reconsider old decisions all the time. They reconsidered this one. No big deal. Now it's part of the game.
    Still not a he.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Dk_rek wrote: »

You do realize that some got him for free the first go around right?

Oh wait, you’re serious. That makes me laugh even harder. Do you by chance work for the government right now?

Do you not know how to manage your resources? 6 people in my arena shard got him and they are F2P.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • Everyone is talking about managing resources. That's all just fine. However, even someone who manages their resources just fine, can't beat statistics. The supposed drop rate for shards is about 33% right? That means 67% of the time, you won't get one.

Just a little rant, when I was much younger, I played Pokémon Gold for hundreds of hours and I only ever got 1 shiny. The one that the game gives you. Were my odds any different from my friends? No. Lady luck was just not kind to me.

So please continue preaching resource management is the key to winning when the odds are already against you.