Anakin Nerf or not instead of "maybe"

I definitely appreciate the attempt at clear communication from @CG_Erik in the development post entitled "Your Focus Determines Your Reality" with regards to Anakin, and I don't want to sound like I'm having a go at him because it was definitely an attempt to be clear and honest however unfortunately all it has really done is to suggest that "Anakin won't be getting nerfed YET"
When players are potentially assigning significant amounts of time, in-game energy, crystals, gear, ability mats etc. to a character we really need the company behind the game to be clear on whether or not all of that time, effort, and resources is going to end up being wasted or not.

It needs to be clear:
Either Anakin is NOT going to be nerfed or existing abilities and values etc. altered, and the only change will potentially be 'new' abilities or ability levels via new Zeta-level upgrades to abilities or completely new uniques/specials,
OR:
Developers should be telling players to hold off on investing in any resources into that character until they can definitively apply any needed changes or state outright that there won't be any.

Saying "we aren't planning any immediate changes...but we're continuing to consider some changes" seems very much like either you want to relax/encourage people into investing in JKA and Padme and only then apply a nerf once players have wasted their investments, or that the developers/testers have no idea what's going on or how to properly test/release characters or reworks/tune-ups.

Statements about character changes, and releases of future characters/reworks need to be something that players can rely on being accurate and definitive - not just being accurate for a few days until someone changes their mind.

Replies

• Options
    I wouldn't expect to see him nerfed into the ground. The message is that they're happy with his current performance, the implication being that adding a zeta to him will not be expected to improve his PvP performance outside of a Galactic Republic team.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Options
    You should expect Anakin to lose some of his usefulness under Jedi Knight Revan, but expect him to be adjusted so that he is as useful as he is currently only with Padme is what I read into it.
  • Options
    ...and that kind of illustrates my point: the first 3 people to comment on this post each have different thoughts/assumptions about what will happen - i.e. We need more definitive information and developers to do a better job of getting things right first time, but also clear one-off statements and/or changes if they do need to amend something, instead of a "wait and see" or "change after change after change" approach.
    Of course a large part of the issue is CG/EA's attempts to artificially support and maintain a Whales Meta. If they weren't doing that then they could just release new or reworked characters and let them fall where they may in the meta and let the weird and wonderful squad compositions all battle it out freely - but if you're trying to bolster a false single-squad meta then you make a rod for your own backs in terms of every single little interaction or weird squad composition that you may have to nerf or ban or power-up the meta etc.
    An organic meta that allows players to be creative and use what's there would give them far less of these kind of "what do we do now" issues
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Of course they finally looked into some numbers. But I really can't believe they're not nerfing him because they actually calculated that. More like people are mass quitting after DR and Malak and they need to save their backs somehow.

And also: what about instead of anakin nerf anakin buff so we're going to pay either for Padme or for the upcoming GR marquee because they're actually meta?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    They can't make definitive statements because it's all subject to change since the game is ever evolving. Sure, it would be nice if they could, but if they did and something changes which makes ani OP in an unforseen way they can't "fix/nerf" him without breaking their word. That's not something they should want.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    They can't make definitive statements because it's all subject to change since the game is ever evolving. Sure, it would be nice if they could, but if they did and something changes which makes ani OP in an unforseen way they can't "fix/nerf" him without breaking their word. That's not something they should want.

I'm not saying a definitive statement is "forever" but given the current characters and interactions, and given that they can ensure Padme or other Jedi/Republic etc. take into account existing ones it shouldn't require 'existing' characters to be changed/nerfed in future except in extreme unforseen circumstances. They control when they release new characters and new re-works, so they can take as much time and testing as they like before releasing them. Also it's not as if JKA is stupidly OP, even their own observations of the data show that he does no more than 'compete' a certain percentage of the time, so make sure before they release Padme that they are testing properly and don't need to do subsequent fix after fix after fix like has been the case recently.

P.S. You got a chuckle out of me for the "Save water..." footer comment :smiley:
  • Options
    They’ll make a decision when they are ready to make a decision....i.e., they feel they have sufficient data to reach a conclusion whether be needs to be changed or not. Your own impatience doesn’t dictate when they need to do things. Making a knee **** reaction on this would be a bad move.
  • Keydash1
    503 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    It's tough for them to make a decision they want to commit to when JKA is getting another buff in a week. I think it's clear he will come out of all this as a solid character, so investments aren't wasted. But don't overextend yourself until he gets his zeta, the Padme team seems some real world play, and the dust settles down.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Beeblebrox wrote: »

I'm not saying a definitive statement is "forever" but given the current characters and interactions, and given that they can ensure Padme or other Jedi/Republic etc. take into account existing ones it shouldn't require 'existing' characters to be changed/nerfed in future except in extreme unforseen circumstances. They control when they release new characters and new re-works, so they can take as much time and testing as they like before releasing them. Also it's not as if JKA is stupidly OP, even their own observations of the data show that he does no more than 'compete' a certain percentage of the time, so make sure before they release Padme that they are testing properly and don't need to do subsequent fix after fix after fix like has been the case recently.

P.S. You got a chuckle out of me for the "Save water..." footer comment :smiley:

You might not think it’s forever, but if you spend any time on the forum you very quickly see that people will jump down their throats about exactly this sort of thing on a regular basis even if they put the qualifiers there. And they can’t say there are no unintended interactions with current characters either when there are 170 characters and people come up with new strategies and ideas all the time.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    op, if you don't think "no, unless" is a no, then...
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Any gear you put into Anakin will at some point become less valuable. Unless he's arena meta until the game shuts down, at some point he will be nerfed or surpassed.

So instead of worrying about what the future will hold, decide if using gear on him right now is value-added. If so, use it and get that value. If you don't use the gear, you won't get the value (and therefore your account will have fewer resources than it would have). Even if Anakin become irrelevant again a month from now, if you got value (even 50 crystals a day extra) for a month, that's 6,000 extra crystals you wouldn't have had.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »
    they can’t say there are no unintended interactions with current characters either when there are 170 characters and people come up with new strategies and ideas all the time.

That depends on the definition of unintended interactions, infinite loops and utterly undefeatible (is that a word?!) are one thing, but "sometimes wins some matches in Arena" shouldn't even have been an issue worth mentioning.
    Take JKA: He clearly isn't overpowered in the sense that he can always beat other squads, and always hold/win on defence. Their own figures show that actually squads with JKA are losing on defence 80% of the time, and on offence only winning 50% of the time.

As a counter-point to that CG deliberately gave us a situation where for months we had a virtually unbeatable Jedi Revan meta that resulted in nearly 90% of the top squads were JKRevan, and that seemed to be perfectly acceptable to them and not "over-powered" or in need of fixing or nerfing at any stage.
    Then they delivered a new DRevan meta, with not only new characters but multiple reworks and "fixes" to deliberately prevent a competitive rock-paper-scissors meta after the new characters/reworks weren't over-powered enough for their liking (even after saying that was their aim!) and now we have a DRevan meta with over 70% of top squads being DRevan led.

So I'm not sure how they can justify nerfing a character that loses 80% of the time on Defence, and only makes it into 13% of top squads despite many many more players having JKA already than have DRevan.

If they're worried about interactions with Padme then...test it properly, including the new testing they're doing with select players, and only announce & release new characters once they've properly done so.

Then, if they genuinly are aiming for a rock-paper-scissors style Arena situation only utterly "freakish unanticipated over-powered squad setups" that cannot be beaten would need nerfing/fixing, and anything alse that's within the realms of "sometimes wins, sometimes loses, and has viable counter(s)" could just be left for players to get on with the game and enjoy playing instead of investing in characters/gear/zetas etc only to then be told "oh no, you can't have a half-decent character: nerfed"

The only reason for the vast majority of the "fixes" (i.e. nerfs or over-powering of new toons) is a rod they make for their own back of prioritizing a manufactured meta instead of the overall health and balance of the game.

Or to put it another way....it looks like CG need to remember to bring balance to the force! :wink:
  • Options
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Any gear you put into Anakin will at some point become less valuable. Unless he's arena meta until the game shuts down, at some point he will be nerfed or surpassed.

So instead of worrying about what the future will hold, decide if using gear on him right now is value-added. If so, use it and get that value. If you don't use the gear, you won't get the value (and therefore your account will have fewer resources than it would have). Even if Anakin become irrelevant again a month from now, if you got value (even 50 crystals a day extra) for a month, that's 6,000 extra crystals you wouldn't have had.

50×30=/=6000
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    they can’t say there are no unintended interactions with current characters either when there are 170 characters and people come up with new strategies and ideas all the time.

That depends on the definition of unintended interactions, infinite loops and utterly undefeatible (is that a word?!) are one thing, but "sometimes wins some matches in Arena" shouldn't even have been an issue worth mentioning.
    Take JKA: He clearly isn't overpowered in the sense that he can always beat other squads, and always hold/win on defence. Their own figures show that actually squads with JKA are losing on defence 80% of the time, and on offence only winning 50% of the time.

So I'm not sure how they can justify nerfing a character that loses 80% of the time on Defence, and only makes it into 13% of top squads despite many many more players having JKA already than have DRevan.

I don’t understand what you’re saying here. They didn’t know those numbers until they looked into it. They said “hey we’ve heard about this team, we are going to look into it,” then they looked into it, then they said “here are the numbers, we don’t feel they justify a nerf.”

So I’m not sure why you’re asking how they can justify nerfing it with those numbers when..... they said they aren’t going to nerf it based on those numbers.

But they also aren’t going to say unequivocally that nothing will change because things can change at any time, including those numbers. Maybe as more people figure out the team and gear/mod it better, the numbers go up, and the distribution changes. Maybe somebody finds a weird combination using JKA and Lobot and it destroys everything. Who knows.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options

Exactly this!
  • Options
    Maybe somebody finds a weird combination using JKA and Lobot and it destroys everything. Who knows.

I know you're being deliberately unlikely there, but now I really want to see that squad, haha!
  • Options
    It is not in their best interests to nerf Anakin until more people invest in his kit.
    Once people use resources to earn the specialty offense/ crit damage mods and place g12+ on him, zeta him, two to three weeks afterwards when Padmé and the additional reworks are in place is when the staff will 're-evaluate' and then can nerf him as a sound business decision. They have to convince the playerbase to sink massive resources into him first before any nerf occurs, or the whole point in nerfing him becomes moot.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    I know you're being deliberately unlikely there, but now I really want to see that squad, haha!
    Prior to the HK rework, Lobot could defeat a lot of high end squads with HK droids, but was less popular toward that end because while Lobot's %speed increase can bootstrap him up to being among the fastest units in the game, it's extremely mod intensive compared to Jawa Engineer who can hit 300 speed with a sub-100 speed mod set, and gives a substantially larger TM boost, to the point where the droids didn't really need to worry about speed and could go all in on CC/CD/damage.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    Clearly Padmé will have an unintended interaction leading to a JKA or JKR "rework" shortly after release just like 3po lead to Finn, or traya lead to zombie fix
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Prior to the HK rework, Lobot could defeat a lot of high end squads with HK droids, but was less popular toward that end because while Lobot's %speed increase can bootstrap him up to being among the fastest units in the game, it's extremely mod intensive compared to Jawa Engineer who can hit 300 speed with a sub-100 speed mod set, and gives a substantially larger TM boost, to the point where the droids didn't really need to worry about speed and could go all in on CC/CD/damage.

This is helpful. Thanks.

I am not a droid expert but after a lot of forum group think when DR was first released I finally noticed that droids may be one of the fastest teams in the game and with a new damage powerhouse like GG, should always be really good. May not be the best but really good means something.

Sounds like I'm a bit late to the party on that, but I'm slow. They are probably my next all in project.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    This is helpful. Thanks.

I am not a droid expert but after a lot of forum group think when DR was first released I finally noticed that droids may be one of the fastest teams in the game and with a new damage powerhouse like GG, should always be really good. May not be the best but really good means something.

Sounds like I'm a bit late to the party on that, but I'm slow. They are probably my next all in project.
    Honestly, until we get another good general-purpose Droid lead, it's probably not terribly useful save as a vanity project. Without one, the rest of the droids either scuttle off to other factions or are just kinda homeless.
    Still not a he.