A guide to sniping by Cythis (Updated 4/14)

Cythis
273 posts Member
edited May 2016
*** THIS GUIDE IS OUTDATED ***

Before I start let me disclose this is not guaranteed 100% every time there are just too many unknown factors that may occur. I will not discuss known hacks in this guide plus many have been fixed.

Tools needed: Yes tools, competitive event requires some sort of tool to be successful, in SWGOH we need a clock. Yes a clock and it needs to be in sync with the arena clock preferably to the second. I won’t go into best applications or options since it pretty straight forward.

Don’t be afraid to spend Crystals: It’s your choice to spend or not, I won’t argue and don’t want to get into a P2P vs. F2P debate.

Lock times: Learn when player lock times are, and make sure they understand when your lock time is. This allows you to better plan your moves since you know who will be moving with you. For F2P thought out moves will save you some crystals and can often be done with no refills.

Friends: Players on your same leader board, either in the same time zone or not, will help you lock down your board. Being on a super competitive board myself we often get new faces that are excited to be at the top but don’t realize people have different prize times, or they simply don’t care. These are the times friend become a huge advantage.

If played correctly and depending on how many friends you have spots 1-10 can be locked out if played properly sending a huge message, generally though everyone will play nice as long as lock times are not trolled.

Quick Jumps: Preferred by many since its simple and will often get the job done. This simple concept allows you to move 2-3 spots using crystal refreshes to get into 1, with a final 5 minute stall lock to win your place.

The Solo Double Lock: This move starts between 10-11 minutes till prize and requires two 5 minute stall locks. This method has a higher rate of failure due to the need to wait 2-6 seconds to refresh and jump back in.

The Overlap Lock: This technique requires a friend who will lock a competitor as close to 10 till prize as possible allowing you to lock into your spot right before their match ends affectively removing any competition.

The 2 Pump Chump (OMG I lost in 30 Seconds…Not a HACK): While I won’t deny hacks have existed in this game, more than likely you are now a victim of auto play. Auto play is very important to Master, and by Master I don’t just mean selecting the option and hope your team wins. Understanding that while in auto play you can still control who you attack, know your opponent’s health, your own damage per character, abilities used and when, and finally turn order manipulation will allow you to win many matches in under 1 minute.

RNG will always be a factor, a double stun Dooku is going to slow you down but does not mean a loss.

If they ever implement real Player vs. Player then auto play should be required because it brings a new level of professionalism to the event.

The Ninja Lock: This tactic is used when you want to extend a lock but want to be a Ninja about it. Locking early is not a bad thing, if properly done you can lock the spot you want for about 10 minutes. People will often use the refresh button waiting for their place to change. By losing the first match it will allow you the time to refresh and jump back in securing the spot you want while your opponent is unaware. When timed correctly you can simply win the spot you want with seconds remaining.

Not an advantage: The 1 spot is the hardest spot to defend period. Not only do you compete with 2, 3, 4 but also 5. The 5 spot is huge because 1 cannot lock it down unless friends are involved. For new players into the top 5 this is your best advantage spot for your first 1 spot win, but have a plan to hold it to time.

You need to be a master of auto play even more now since the great balance update 04/14. Depending on your DPS vs. your opponent auto play may be necessary to win with in the time allowed.

Have a tip or trick you want to share? Leave it below
Post edited by Cythis on

Replies

• Awesome :))
  • Nice work Cythis!
    Definitely a must read guide for anyone looking for a professional competition for the top ranks.
    I personally found the Auto play tactics very helpful when done right, and just like Obi-Wan said "Remember...the Force will be with you, always."
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    @Cythis

What is your team and what are the usual teams that actively compete with you in arena(team composition)Do you auto vs RG teams? If yes I would like to see a video where you auto against RG, or any video on auto against a tough team.

I'm curious what time you usually snipe #1. From my perspective, it's dependent on how fast you can clear the enemy team( do you take your fastest time, average time, or something else?), how fast the enemy team can clear you, the time needed to get into the "select arena squad" screen, time needed to get into the battle screen, time needed for the system to transmit the changed rankings to the server. I sometimes screw up and exceed the payout time by a few seconds. Is there any way to prevent this while giving my opponent as little time as possible for him to snipe back?

I'm also curious about your backup plan in case you get locked or #1 gets locked. Do you wait for the last few ? seconds to snipe for #1, or do you lock your position in case you lose your current position? I'm always faced with the dilemma of sniping #1 or locking my position at #2. Someone could snipe me at 6 min or 5min 40 seconds, and I'll lose my rank and ability to snipe for #1 when that happens.

Keep in mind I have no friends on my server to help me lockup positions. Lock up times often change in my shard as the usual group of competitors will continually seek better lock-up times to secure their ranks

Would like to hear your take and team instinct's take on this.
  • Cythis
    273 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Zekex wrote: »
    @Cythis

What is your team and what are the usual teams that actively compete with you in arena(team composition)Do you auto vs RG teams? If yes I would like to see a video where you auto against RG, or any video on auto against a tough team.

I'm curious what time you usually snipe #1. From my perspective, it's dependent on how fast you can clear the enemy team( do you take your fastest time, average time, or something else?), how fast the enemy team can clear you, the time needed to get into the "select arena squad" screen, time needed to get into the battle screen, time needed for the system to transmit the changed rankings to the server. I sometimes screw up and exceed the payout time by a few seconds. Is there any way to prevent this while giving my opponent as little time as possible for him to snipe back?

I'm also curious about your backup plan in case you get locked or #1 gets locked. Do you wait for the last few ? seconds to snipe for #1, or do you lock your position in case you lose your current position? I'm always faced with the dilemma of sniping #1 or locking my position at #2. Someone could snipe me at 6 min or 5min 40 seconds, and I'll lose my rank and ability to snipe for #1 when that happens.

Keep in mind I have no friends on my server to help me lockup positions. Lock up times often change in my shard as the usual group of competitors will continually seek better lock-up times to secure their ranks

Would like to hear your take and team instinct's take on this.

Great questions, I will answer what I can.

Yes I almost always run auto (my opening with vary for first turn Yoda Meditate then target and auto), running manual can get frustrating but 99% of the time its not an issue, there is room for small targeting mistakes in my experience.

My current team is QGJ, RG, GS, Rey and Yoda

I need to take the time figure out how to record on IOS, it just seemed like too much work to me when I first researched it.

How I snipe 1 always changes on my board because you have to watch who is moving and know their patterns. The most successful method for me has been the ninja snipe when I'm alone. I will start as close to 10 then lose my first battle as close to 5 quickly refreshing and back in to win it with seconds to spare. I use a clock now because my board has moments where fights are won so fast that anything over 35 seconds can be lost. If someone beat me to it and locks 1 within 5 minutes then I go for the next closest and lock in. I always try to be at least spot 3 before the 15 min mark.

I always refresh after a battle during lock time even if I lose the 50c on nothing. I think in the last 90 days my methods have only lost me top 3 twice and its always to the unknown new person or event. If someone snipes me early (more than 6 minutes) then they left me too much time to win it back and I spam battle/refresh.

I also have an amazing group of friends and we often will assist each other, so it sounds much easier for me than for you.

Last team Instinct, they have some really great post, guides and are very entertaining to watch and read about.

Post edited by Cythis on
  • @Cythis

If you have a Mac with QuickTime, there's a very easy way to record video of SWGOH.

Link: http://ioshacker.com/how-to/use-quicktime-record-screen-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-running-ios-8
  • Cythis
    273 posts Member
    @Cythis

If you have a Mac with QuickTime, there's a very easy way to record video of SWGOH.

Link: http://ioshacker.com/how-to/use-quicktime-record-screen-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-running-ios-8

Ah so you need a Mac. Thanks for the link
  • No Cythis, you can't be my friend!

:)
    Greetings from Ailans channel.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Cythis
    273 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    No Cythis, you can't be my friend!

:)
    Greetings from Ailans channel.

Tell him to stop working so much and make more videos. My morning carpool is dull now
  • Hey Cythis, I was just wondering how were you able to "contact" the other players from your leaderboard? Because on my server, some of us seem to have some sort of mutual respect but it's a bit inconsistent so I was just wondering how you got around doing that? And also, thanks for the tips, I'll try getting used to use autoplay in my future battles to help me out with last minute battles!!
  • This is why the current arena system is ****
  • Cythis
    273 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Hey Cythis, I was just wondering how were you able to "contact" the other players from your leaderboard? Because on my server, some of us seem to have some sort of mutual respect but it's a bit inconsistent so I was just wondering how you got around doing that? And also, thanks for the tips, I'll try getting used to use autoplay in my future battles to help me out with last minute battles!!

Start a server thread in the PvP forums. Also you can try directly messaging people.

Position trolling happens, the best advise is to just always be ready and place yourself into a 1-3 or 5 before the start. If I get trolled on lock time I troll back for the next few days, they usually start to understand.
    This is why the current arena system is ****

Couldn't agree more, and this is one of the reason the guide was made, to point that out. Meanwhile, hopefully It can help some people understand whats going on around lock time so they can better position themselves for a higher reward more consistently.
    Post edited by Cythis on
  • I'm not sure I understand the mechanics here fully.. first time at #1 spot today. I got bumped to 5th maybe 7 minutes out from reward time. At around 5 minutes I tried attacking them but they were locked. At around 2.5 minutes left I was able to fight them and won with about 30 seconds remaining. I was in first place again. When the rewards ended, I was actually in 2nd. What did I do wrong?

• Cythis
    273 posts Member
    Aingree wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand the mechanics here fully.. first time at #1 spot today. I got bumped to 5th maybe 7 minutes out from reward time. At around 5 minutes I tried attacking them but they were locked. At around 2.5 minutes left I was able to fight them and won with about 30 seconds remaining. I was in first place again. When the rewards ended, I was actually in 2nd. What did I do wrong?

Sound like you got sniped in 30 to 40 seconds from your description. Try to leave 30'seconds or under if you can. It happens but sounds like you will have that 1 spot very soon.
  • Aingree
    3 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Would it have been better to clock when I started the match how much time was left.. autoing to ensure I finish in time, but turn off auto near the end and wait till there's 10 seconds left to deliver the killing blow? Or is there a downside to that?

Edit: I see some other threads mentioning winning 1st place near the end but getting 2nd or 3rd rewards. My shard is very new, everyone was still under 40 and the guy who was in first shortly after time was up didn't have a heavy dps team against my team which was very tanky. Don't think there's any way he beat me in 40s.
  • Cythis
    273 posts Member
    Aingree wrote: »
    Would it have been better to clock when I started the match how much time was left.. autoing to ensure I finish in time, but turn off auto near the end and wait till there's 10 seconds left to deliver the killing blow? Or is there a downside to that?

Edit: I see some other threads mentioning winning 1st place near the end but getting 2nd or 3rd rewards. My shard is very new, everyone was still under 40 and the guy who was in first shortly after time was up didn't have a heavy dps team against my team which was very tanky. Don't think there's any way he beat me in 40s.

I will leave tracking your time up to you. Ive done it so many times now I can usually snipe and end my match with 3-5 seconds left to prize. Its just repetition.

If you suspect cheating you can report them to CG their is a thread somewhere I will have to find the link for you tomorrow.

Since your on a young server try and get in touch with some of the players that you see regularly on your board. Then blocking this guy out becomes a lot easier.