Is RNG fests the future of all events?

Prev13
Got Padme but new events simply haven't been any fun of late. RNG fests don't help business model. Since Chewbacca they have only gotten worse. Can't look forward to new event characters anymore. Drop rates suck then they need end game gear to have a chance if RNG is on your side. Some of us don't have hours to look at the same fight for a character.

Replies

• Mhmacleod
    194 posts Member
    This. I feel you man. This game, for those who just want to unlock new toons to play with them - never mind actually needing to own arena or something with them - stopped being fun ages ago. I understand the need to put up a paywall to keep things going but seriously there have got to be better ways than this
  • I think they do help the business model.
    While rng and preloaded tm events are frustrating , I can’t think of another competitive alternative.

Once kill order was published on here the older events were done quick.

Rng fests also gives a slight chance of everything going well.
    In all of these recent events many people have posted sub par teams or non ideal teams beating the events. It just takes many tries.
  • I spend on this game. The way its going though I don't see that being the case much longer. Every new character already has the new gear needed. Which many spend on. There is also still new players coming in that won't be able to even sniff most events for a long time route they are headed. An event surely can't be considered of good design when end game gear don't guarantee hours of waiting for everything to work in a way that works out for you.
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    It's only rng if you don't have the better lineup.
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    The Malak event was amazing. I agree on everything else.
  • I think they do help the business model.
    While rng and preloaded tm events are frustrating , I can’t think of another competitive alternative.

In all of these recent events many people have posted sub par teams or non ideal teams beating the events. It just takes many tries.

We are definitely on different sides of the spectrum on this. To me they been simply frustrating. Not fun in anyway. Basically to point its not worth it anymore to keep playing.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Javin37 wrote: »
    It's only rng if you don't have the paid lineup.

Here, fixed it for you.
  • Pariah_Anchorite
    836 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    If you spend enough to optimize the flavor of the event to play an event, you will have a very high chance of completing it. All this RNG talk and strategy is about *not* using the team needed for the event devised for that team. In fact, *enticement* is the meta.

1. They set a bar
    2. Make recommendations on how to reach said bar
    3. Its Star Wars
    4. Watch people achieve optimal frustration
    5. Profit
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »

Here, fixed it for you.

Only have to pay if you didn't focus on the team....the droid nuts caught a break for once. I'm happy for them.
  • Javin37 wrote: »

Lololololol omega lul
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member

Lololololol omega lul

If it helps you...

Droid fans are the ones actually lolololol. At least I hope they are..they deserve to after being lololol at for so long. Good to see them catch a break.
  • Ctharipper wrote: »
    I think they do help the business model.

We are definitely on different sides of the spectrum on this. To me they been simply frustrating. Not fun in anyway. Basically to point its not worth it anymore to keep playing.

No we re closer than you think. I’m not a fan of being frustrated. I just don’t know another alternative that they could use. That makes it a challenge.
    We had an event where gear and or zetas was the ticket to get in.

At least with this - there is a chance of everything aligning perfectly and then you can beat it. I do not think this is the best way. But I really don’t know another way.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member

Here, fixed it for you.

Paid for what? B1/Droideka who are not needed at all? The gear which is doable in the time frame between announcement and end of event (everyone should have Asajj on G12, B2 and 2 other seps on g9-11 is managable, G12 GG in 2 weeks can be done aswell --> and those are 7* Padme requirements, 5* pretty much just takes Asajj to carry)? The zetas that you can't buy for crystals/money?
    It's as F2P as it can get. Hard? Sure. A lot of RNG? Obviously. P2P? No.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Legend91 wrote: »

Here, fixed it for you.

Paid for what? B1/Droideka who are not needed at all? The gear which is doable in the time frame between announcement and end of event (everyone should have Asajj on G12, B2 and 2 other seps on g9-11 is managable, G12 GG in 2 weeks can be done aswell --> and those are 7* Padme requirements, 5* pretty much just takes Asajj to carry)? The zetas that you can't buy for crystals/money?

Look again at the post I was replying to, you basically agree with me. From what I have seen here, Droideka does make it much less random by eating damage while marked and invulnerable.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member

Here, fixed it for you.

Look again at the post I was replying to, you basically agree with me. From what I have seen here, Droideka does make it much less random by eating damage while marked and invulnerable.

Ah yeah misread it, sorry. Droideka indeed does make things easier.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    I remember all the RNG fest complaints about the Thrawn event, and about the BB-8 event back before KRUM came to the game and the lineup was Phasma led.

It's new. It's tough.In time, new content will be added that makes it easier, and familiarity with the event in general will make it less tough.

As always, more investment and a more suitable lineup reduces the influence of RNG. The more you try and lowball or brute force, the more RNG plays a part.
    Still not a he.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    I hated the Chewie event, and I hated this one. I enjoyed the Malak event. I got all three at 7* the first time. I definitely have preference.

The Malak event you either had the required toons, or you didn't. Once you started it there was NEVER a time where you had to restart because half your team was crippled/dead before you moved. It was impossible... if you didn't know the strategy. Once I learned the strategy, and remodded my team for it, then I only had to do a few runs to get it right.

With this Padmé event I had 5 gear 12 characters, but despite that I would routinely have one killed before I got a chance to move. I had to restart dozens of times to get a very precise sequence of totally random things to happen, then hope that random things kept happening in my favor. If I got really deep into a run and got one bad roll then the whole thing was shot, and it might be several hours of random restarts to get there again. I hate this. I hate that level of randomness. Spending hours upon hours of totally random dice rolls burns people out, and is NOT enjoyable.

I know they need to make money on these events. And there is ALWAYS an element of randomness. But I'm actually more OK with harsh requirements and a well designed event that needs a specific strategy to beat, but can be done in less than an hour instead of 14 hours straight of grinding away at brain killing numbing dice rolls.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Haven't read the thread but I'm assuming people are conveniently ignoring the Thrawn event, which people complained endlessly about because of the RNG at lower gear.

If you want to complain about the gear requirements being moved from G8 to G11/G12, ok, but don't complain about the RNG.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    edited May 2019

Here, fixed it for you.

Droideka isn't actually required. He can help but the enemy team has a dispell for droideka's damage immunity. And don't even think about using B1. He makes the event much harder because he heals the enemy team, but still wasn't RNG dependent (I only lost magna). I have every droid at G12+3 and it was difficult for me just by simply having B1 on the team. And my droideka got dispelled right away. Farmed B1 and Droideka with saved up crystals from arena.
  • Mhmacleod
    194 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    I hated the Chewie event, and I hated this one. I enjoyed the Malak event. I got all three at 7* the first time. I definitely have preference.

The Malak event you either had the required toons, or you didn't. Once you started it there was NEVER a time where you had to restart because half your team was crippled/dead before you moved. It was impossible... if you didn't know the strategy. Once I learned the strategy, and remodded my team for it, then I only had to do a few runs to get it right.

With this Padmé event I had 5 gear 12 characters, but despite that I would routinely have one killed before I got a chance to move. I had to restart dozens of times to get a very precise sequence of totally random things to happen, then hope that random things kept happening in my favor. If I got really deep into a run and got one bad roll then the whole thing was shot, and it might be several hours of random restarts to get there again. I hate this. I hate that level of randomness. Spending hours upon hours of totally random dice rolls burns people out, and is NOT enjoyable.

I know they need to make money on these events. And there is ALWAYS an element of randomness. But I'm actually more OK with harsh requirements and a well designed event that needs a specific strategy to beat, but can be done in less than an hour instead of 14 hours straight of grinding away at brain killing numbing dice rolls.

This. This x 1000. You sir described exactly what I felt much better than I ever could.

I actually wrote a lot more about this but this site when viewed on mobile does all kinds of stupid things to lose your progress on your drafts and posts so I lost everything...I'll just leave it here.
  • I cant begin to imagine how troublesome these events are to people who dont spend their life on the forum and watching youtube videos 24/7. For an ordinary person to play this game, meaning one who doesnt use 3rd party apps, websites, youtube, ect to play games is pretty much sol.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    I cant begin to imagine how troublesome these events are to people who dont spend their life on the forum and watching youtube videos 24/7. For an ordinary person to play this game, meaning one who doesnt use 3rd party apps, websites, youtube, ect to play games is pretty much sol.

On the other hand, people who can't be bothered to look up info on the forum/reddit/YT probably don't care about getting everything on the first try anyway.
  • In my opinion, this event is way too much for a legendary event. Getting g12 chars one-shotted by what appears to be the Star Wars equivalent of a pea shooter, easy revives, constant healing by multiple characters, constant clearing of debuffs, immense amount of crit immunity, gaining protection up whenever anyone breaths, multiple all-team attacks, oh and let’s not forget how Dooku only hurts you if you use him because of his counter attacks... it’s a little much if you ask me, especially since tier 4 was so laughably easy. I get it, she’s supposed to be difficult but why?

Is this some over-correction that CG is doing now because there were too many marquees last year? Instead of giving them to everyone at a low level they have decided to release characters that are supposed to be at least a contender for meta but is almost impossible for F2P to unlock/7 star.
  • F2p players shouldn't be rewarded with the same archievements like paying customers. Easy...
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Ctharipper wrote: »
    Got Padme but new events simply haven't been any fun of late. RNG fests don't help business model. Since Chewbacca they have only gotten worse. Can't look forward to new event characters anymore. Drop rates suck then they need end game gear to have a chance if RNG is on your side. Some of us don't have hours to look at the same fight for a character.

It's called a challenge. Have fun in the real world if you dislike them...
  • USAFmedic129
    1538 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    VaexquaGer wrote: »
    F2p players shouldn't be rewarded with the same archievements like paying customers. Easy...

Pay to Win should be on OUR own private server, Easy.

Not! What fun would that be. Everything is fine the way it is.
    Post edited by USAFmedic129 on
  • You did a horrible job "designing" that event. It´s so poorly done ... I wonder, if you even want people playing that game?
  • The option is to try to develop a well designed Event, which is kind of fun to play. Setting up high requirements is fine, but playing such an stupid RNG **** for hours is a joke