Is RNG fests the future of all events?

13Next

Replies

• Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Adding rng to a "strategic" game is not a wise move. They could try to develop better mechanics, much like Rey's hero's journey (survive 6 turn) or others set conditions to win (not to not be permitted to play, like malak power-based event, that is stupid af).
    I don't want to be spending hours of frustration on a phone game.
    Another "funny" thing to me would be a reward for losing. For example, they specially design event character stats according to the gear you have them at (much like ships with the pilots). The more you lose at the event, the better the stats of the character for the event...

Yeah, like how good was CLS's event? Had iconic scenes in the event itself, and had cool things going on, was actually different, was fun and required some good gear and mods. In RJT's they should have totally had a Vet Han V Kylo moment where if you win you lose, to actually win would be to lose the fight. But everything they did do was different, especially the survive fight.

JKR event was quite boring in that respect, I mean his event you could do with 3G1's almost.

All the legendary events they have made since Chewy has been made with RNG in mind. Luckily Ewoks are so strong with one zeta that it makes the C3 event much easier and we all actually had the ewoks needed.

We didn't have 2 of the droids as they only became farmable on the same day Padme came out. If we had time to get them to seven star, then this event would have been quite different and the responses it got VERY different.

I don't really know what they are doing these days. Make an event incredibly rng based with no-one f2p having the "required" squad to get it. And that's it. The event is EASY. But rng based on top of rng based on top of rng based if you don't have the exact squad needed.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    My problem is that I don’t know what the optimal lineup is (without paying for Droideka/ B1).

If I bring my Sun Fac to G12 will that do the trick? Or do I need IG-100 as well? Or both? With all the RNG not clear.
    No, it's not entirely clear because it's a new event with an obscure faction. But the information is out there to draw reasonable conclusions.

That said, having multiple viable paths to victory- which there genuinely are- rather than having One True Path is a good thing.
    Adding rng to a "strategic" game is not a wise move. They could try to develop better mechanics, much like Rey's hero's journey (survive 6 turn) or others set conditions to win (not to not be permitted to play, like malak power-based event, that is stupid af).
    I don't want to be spending hours of frustration on a phone game.
    Another "funny" thing to me would be a reward for losing. For example, they specially design event character stats according to the gear you have them at (much like ships with the pilots). The more you lose at the event, the better the stats of the character for the event...
    I don't want to spend hours of frustration on a phone game, either.

So you know what I do?

I DON'T!

My 3PO is six stars right now. Were my murderbears enough to get 3PO to seven stars last time? Probably. But after a few tries, it was pretty clear that if I won the event, it would be by scumming for RNG, and I didn't want to do that, so I didn't. I let the event pass, continued working on my murderbears, added a couple gear levels to key units, put on another zeta, and I'm pretty confident I'll top off 3PO next time fairly easily.
    Still not a he.
  • BucMan55
    246 posts Member
    Most likely, but this event appears to be the first legendary that can not be unlocked(5 star) if all 5 characters are G9 or below. Some have done it with one or two G8s, but had a G12 or couple G11s in there with it. So RNG with a pretty hard gear gate.

Chewie and C3P0 can be unlocked without a single character above G9.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Haven't read the thread but I'm assuming people are conveniently ignoring the Thrawn event, which people complained endlessly about because of the RNG at lower gear.

If you want to complain about the gear requirements being moved from G8 to G11/G12, ok, but don't complain about the RNG.

The difference is that you could choose to outgear the Thrawn event if you didn’t want to deal with the rng. In fact I remember a comment from one of the devs about that being what he wanted for these types of events - you could deal with the frustration or choose to bypass it with enough gear. When people were struggling at g8 the tiers went up to g11. But you can’t outgear an event that’s tuned to g12 when g12 is as high as it goes.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    The difference is that you could choose to outgear the Thrawn event if you didn’t want to deal with the rng. In fact I remember a comment from one of the devs about that being what he wanted for these types of events - you could deal with the frustration or choose to bypass it with enough gear. When people were struggling at g8 the tiers went up to g11. But you can’t outgear an event that’s tuned to g12 when g12 is as high as it goes.
    We also have many, many more vectors for acquiring gear now, so the shift is not unreasonable.

Also, events have to be gated somehow. With Thrawn, the gate was the Phoenix toons themselves, who had one of the narrowest farming windows in the game's history and some older players are still upset about. So gear didn't really have to be the main gate.

With the phase three legendaries... we haven't had one that's toon gated. All three of the ground units can be done with units who are over a year old. So gear had to be the gate. Yes, the Chewie event was easier with Bossk and the Padme event is easier with Droideka, but you can do the events without them fairly readily. At the cost of gear.

And between the phase 2 legendaries and the phase 3 legendaries, we've gained many, MANY new vectors for gaining gear and mods, so the bar for gear gating got higher.
    Still not a he.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    We also have many, many more vectors for acquiring gear now, so the shift is not unreasonable.

Also, events have to be gated somehow. With Thrawn, the gate was the Phoenix toons themselves, who had one of the narrowest farming windows in the game's history and some older players are still upset about. So gear didn't really have to be the main gate.

With the phase three legendaries... we haven't had one that's toon gated. All three of the ground units can be done with units who are over a year old. So gear had to be the gate. Yes, the Chewie event was easier with Bossk and the Padme event is easier with Droideka, but you can do the events without them fairly readily. At the cost of gear.

And between the phase 2 legendaries and the phase 3 legendaries, we've gained many, MANY new vectors for gaining gear and mods, so the bar for gear gating got higher.

"Back in 2016 all we needed was g8 lvl 70 jedi to unlock GMY! Now the recommended gear for this new legendary is g15 and multiple delta mats just for a 5* unlock while the 9* version requires the new char that got introduced yesterday! I got my 5 chars to g8, I should be able to unlock! This is unfair!!"
    - swgoh community on the official forum (Reddit) in 2023
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • I think they want you to pay money or time
  • EA_Rtas
    1141 posts Member
    Let's cool it a bit please with the "F2P people are entitled" comments, it's bait and it's going to start an argument. Keep it polite and on topic please or I'll be locking this thread.
  • I wish instead of arduous, our next event is fun. It is a game after all.
  • CadoaBane
    563 posts Member
    To me, it matters less how easy or difficult an event in itself is. But what matters to me is that some of those events are just not fun to play. Not only the rng, but the same fighting background for each stage of an event is pretty uncreative. Chewie, C3PO, Padme - all events in the same style, just the same over and over with raising difficulty. Especially when we all know that they *can* do better, the Old Republic events and other Hero's Journey's were awesome, because they are made with so much more love for the detail.
  • Iceih_SWG
    301 posts Member
    Ctharipper wrote: »
    Got Padme but new events simply haven't been any fun of late. RNG fests don't help business model. Since Chewbacca they have only gotten worse. Can't look forward to new event characters anymore. Drop rates suck then they need end game gear to have a chance if RNG is on your side. Some of us don't have hours to look at the same fight for a character.
    SemiGod wrote: »
    Got Padme but new events simply haven't been any fun of late. RNG fests don't help business model. Since Chewbacca they have only gotten worse. Can't look forward to new event characters anymore. Drop rates suck then they need end game gear to have a chance if RNG is on your side. Some of us don't have hours to look at the same fight for a character.

It's called a challenge. Have fun in the real world if you dislike them...

How can a lottery be a challenge? Improve our guessing skills?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

That's all fine, but what I'm talking about is choice. You had the choice in the past to outgear the event and bypass the RNG. Now you do not have that choice. This is inevitably going to make people more frustrated than they already were.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member

That's all fine, but what I'm talking about is choice. You had the choice in the past to outgear the event and bypass the RNG. Now you do not have that choice. This is inevitably going to make people more frustrated than they already were.

From what I've seen people posting, you can at least kinda get past the RNG by outgearing, since people are doing it without max squads. But the window is definitely much smaller.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

From what I've seen people posting, you can at least kinda get past the RNG by outgearing, since people are doing it without max squads. But the window is definitely much smaller.

It's not clear that it's making a meaningful difference to the RNG though. People in my guild with full g12 teams have taken just as many attempts to eventually get lucky as those doing it with a bit less.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Don't take away my hope for next time!
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Very boring PvE content. Devs are not understanding that people who work don't have time to make 1000 attempts to get RNG. There really must be a better way to create interesting content besides preloading TM meters and putting in 10 mechanics rng checks (not based on any player input) in order to make content "hard".
    You could try not doing a thousand attempts and instead building up a more suitable lineup for next time so you can get it more easily.
    Still not a he.
  • DadKev
    314 posts Member

Yes
  • USAFmedic129
    1538 posts Member
    Very boring PvE content. Devs are not understanding that people who work don't have time to make 1000 attempts to get RNG. There really must be a better way to create interesting content besides preloading TM meters and putting in 10 mechanics rng checks (not based on any player input) in order to make content "hard".

Hahaha, Facebook, Instagram, social media, you tube. Yeah the modern man is just sooooo bogged down without leisure time.

But agree, I am not a fan of burning my cellular data or my internet time on a phone app for 200+ attempts in addition to the time sink this game has already become.
  • Whatelse73
    2161 posts Member
    Problem is, all they did was reskin a Jedi Knight Revan arena team and say, "This is Padme!" and we have to face it with a group that doesn't do well against a revan team (except in CG released videos before we buy it), but we're expected spend resources on toons that we don't use for anything else to beat a Jedi Knight Revan team with longer hair.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    Problem is, all they did was reskin a Jedi Knight Revan arena team and say, "This is Padme!" and we have to face it with a group that doesn't do well against a revan team (except in CG released videos before we buy it), but we're expected spend resources on toons that we don't use for anything else to beat a Jedi Knight Revan team with longer hair.
    They really didn't. It had two members of the classic Kevan squad. Kenobi and Jolee. Anakin was a very temporary, late cycle addition during the lead up to the Padme event.

The Kevan team is entirely focused on Yoda, with everything revolving around calling him to assist, buffing him, protecting him, and restoring him, and running entirely on Yoda's internal turn meter engine.

The Padme lineup is very much not that. Yes, in the event's mostly Jedi lineup they used a couple of the good Jedi. This should not be surprising. But it has no GMY, no turn meter engine, does not focus or spread buffs in a manner comparable to the way JKR does it as Padme's mechanisms are very different. It is by no means a reskin of the Kevan lineup. It was just a defensive Jedi-centric lineup. When Jedi are a defensive faction. And Padme is a defensive unit.

That Padme team is no more a Kevan squad reskin than Kevan is a Nightsisters squad reskin.
    Still not a he.
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    Don't know why people are comparing Thrawn. The original run of Thrawn, when most people got him was easier. It was tweaked when it went to mythic and that's where there complaints come from. I did t7 Thrawn on its original run with g9 phoenix, no zetas.
  • Atarius
    86 posts Member
    Kailen wrote: »
    [...]

Just be glad they don't charge you per attempt.

But that's the new business model of EA ... >:)

• ddlooping2
    1046 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    The only challenge in this event is having the time and patience to try and beat the rng for hours on end.
    (unless you have Droideka, that is)

Some have been (very) lucky and managed to do it quickly.
    Others, like myself, have been trying for hours, using as good if not better teams that have been successful for others, using the simple strategy that has been described almost right from the start of the event.

Is it because I lack "skill"?
    Not in my humble opinion.
    Sometimes, the difference is simply a dodge, a resist, a devastating attack that comes out of nowhere.

P.S: I'm referring to Tier VII of the Padmé event.

P.****: just now I almost won it.
    That is I could have won if the Fish, GK and Mace Windu hadn't dodged attacks from Asajj and GG 4 times in a row.

Post edited by ddlooping2 on
  • ddlooping2
    1046 posts Member
    I wish instead of arduous, our next event is fun. It is a game after all.
    Hear, hear!! :)
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Reyalp wrote: »
    Don't know why people are comparing Thrawn. The original run of Thrawn, when most people got him was easier. It was tweaked when it went to mythic and that's where there complaints come from. I did t7 Thrawn on its original run with g9 phoenix, no zetas.

People complained about having to do a million runs on Thrawn to get him to 7*.

They didn't have G9.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Here's a comment that sums it up.
    StarSon wrote: »
    If you are going for under-geared, leave Sabine on the bench. If you are okay with trying for good rng about 200 times, g8 is plenty. If you only want to do it a few times, all g8 except Ezra at g9 and you'll get it without much trouble.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Even the Yoda event was nuts at the time from what I hear from the great old ones, when the good Jedi didn't exist yet and the game was capped at, like, level 70, G8 or 9, no mods. And I don't know if protection was even a mechanic yet?
    Still not a he.
  • zeekdog
    75 posts Member
    I agree with the RNG aspect being too prevalent in this event. I unlocked Padme with a very undergeared team

(Asajj glvl12, Dooku, 10, B2, 8, sunfac 8, geo soldier 8)

I got super lucky. 3 hours of grinding.

I'm not here to tell others to "Git güd" but acknowledge that CG has "shotgunned" their approaches to events and character releases. PICK A LANE CG AND STAY THERE!

PLAYERS:
    simply stating "the players complained about this type of event previously or in the past.." does NOT excuse the CURRENT bad decisions of the game developers. Furthermore, using this mentality to rebuttal any new claims of poorly designed mechanics/aspects of the game only slows down progress towards better solutions. Don't be a troll.
  • Javin37 wrote: »
    It's only rng if you don't have the better lineup.

Agreed. If you don't have the most effective squad, you are stuck praying for a miracle to occur. Either keep rolling the dice and hoping, or wait until you have a better squad. Instead of complaining that the event is too dependent on favorable draws, you could be thankful that the RNG-miracle is even a possibility. The devs did not have to code it that way.