Modding DR teams

Has anyone had any luck figuring out how to mod DR teams with anything other than speed, speed and more speed?

Unicorns are rare and the lack of finding them is making arena climbing increasingly challenging. I'm wondering if I'm missing something and there's a better way.

We went form a meta where mods didn't matter all that much (go ahead, be faster, I'll just sit here and counter you to death because I'm too slow to lose my buffs) to one where they're essentially the only thing that matters.

Replies

• TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Wait what meta was the one where speed doesn't matter? Must have missed that one.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Traya and JKR certainly weren’t as speed dependent as the current meta
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    I skipped the Traya meta ;)

JKR speed made it easier, especially during the majority of the meta when most people didn't have him. I countered with CLS and speed was critical.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

JKR speed made it easier, especially during the majority of the meta when most people didn't have him. I countered with CLS and speed was critical.

Speed always matters but it was significantly less important in JKR mirror matches than in other cases. Yes if you don’t have the less-speed-dependent meta then speed may still be very important for your counter meta team, but that’s not really what the OP is talking about.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Wait what meta was the one where speed doesn't matter? Must have missed that one.

[sarcasm] The General Grievous meta of course! [/sarcasm]

Mirror matches really didn’t have speed as a factor, certainly not on JKR himself. I found the faster Jolee / Bastila were made a difference, and my GMY having special offence of +7200 definitely helped.

In fact, if anything, I found it easier to fight the faster JKRs.

And as for Traya meta, if you were incredibly unlucky with the opponent AI choosing the right option all the time, things could get dicey against a faster team, but the AI virtually always did something daft that let you turn the tide.

• TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Ok ok. However....
    I found the faster Jolee / Bastila were made a difference

:p
  • They definitely did!
  • slickdealer
    1801 posts Member
    Mod Yoda for speed, everyone else however you want.
  • Mod Yoda for speed, everyone else however you want.

Yoda doesnt need speed. Mod him 100% for offense. He is always getting called to assist.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    yankeeh8er wrote: »
    Mod Yoda for speed, everyone else however you want.

Yoda doesnt need speed. Mod him 100% for offense. He is always getting called to assist.

OP is asking about DR teams, not JKR teams. Yoda needs to be fast to get ten up spread.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Given how vitally important it is to get your CBM out first to prevent getting absolutely destroyed by Bastila's fear, your options are either mod for ludicrous speed or put GMY on your team, also modded for ludicrous speed. Have fun.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• TVF
    36526 posts Member
    This thread is very confusing to me. I just got beat by someone who has a slower DR, BSF, and Malak than me. I thought speed was all that matters?
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Has anyone had any luck figuring out how to mod DR teams with anything other than speed, speed and more speed?

Unicorns are rare and the lack of finding them is making arena climbing increasingly challenging. I'm wondering if I'm missing something and there's a better way.

We went form a meta where mods didn't matter all that much (go ahead, be faster, I'll just sit here and counter you to death because I'm too slow to lose my buffs) to one where they're essentially the only thing that matters.

If you don't have the speed, there are things you can do. Running a zKRU (unique) can make a big difference. If you can get Yoda faster than their BSF you can shut down CBM; or a Thrawn faster than their BSF to get yours going faster, etc. All of that assumes you are also running DR.
    This thread is very confusing to me. I just got beat by someone who has a slower DR, BSF, and Malak than me. I thought speed was all that matters?

You still have to know how to play it, and there is still RNG. However, on offense, if their DR and their BSF go before all of your characters, I'm not sure you can win. Which is where the "speed meta" claims come from.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Well it is possible to win in that scenario. It’s just very very rng dependent and might have, say, a 10% success rate. Speed is the number one factor in raising that success rate substantially.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    StarSon wrote: »
    on offense, if their DR and their BSF go before all of your characters, I'm not sure you can win. Which is where the "speed meta" claims come from.

Well ok except I just said it happened to me. Mine are all faster and someone beat me with a mirror.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Liath wrote: »
    Well it is possible to win in that scenario. It’s just very very rng dependent and might have, say, a 10% success rate. Speed is the number one factor in raising that success rate substantially.

Granted. I'd be interested to know what happened in this case though, the person that beat me only climbed four spots to do so, they could have climbed another three or four to max. They aren't in our shard chat either so it wasn't a case of working around payouts. It's also not someone I'm aware of having any back-and-forth with so it wasn't revenge.

If it was a 10% success rate you'd think they'd go higher to someone slower. Or maybe they just gave it a shot for once and it worked.

EDIT: I didn't check the speeds on teams ahead of me. My DR is 320 which is certainly not the fastest, however my BSF is 309, which I think is the fastest on the shard.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    You can win against a faster Bastila in a DR/Malak mirror match, it just requires some absurdly favorable RNG.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

on offense, if their DR and their BSF go before all of your characters, I'm not sure you can win. Which is where the "speed meta" claims come from.

Well ok except I just said it happened to me. Mine are all faster and someone beat me with a mirror.

That's because you're terrible, not because it's easy to do, sorry. Battles can be won if you're slower but it's very rng dependent.

To the OP, you can mod your team for damage and use thrawn with insane speed to give a turn to bastila. You still need speed to do that, though
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member

That's because you're terrible, not because it's easy to do, sorry. Battles can be won if you're slower but it's very rng dependent.

Lol I have no control over my team on defense. Nice attempt at an insult though.

Lol I have no control over my team on defense. Nice attempt at an insult though.

It wasn't clear from your original post that your team was on defense on a quick reading.

The purpose of this thread was to query if someone had found alternate mod builds that were not solely speed dependent in the classic mirror. The non-full Sith Empire variants are appreciated, but well known (GMY, zKRU, Thrawn, Raid Han).

Fundamentally I'm trying to gauge the developer's intent in creating this meta. JKR was a departure from the speed meta. As pointed out above, and we can all argue about this at length, speed was/is not necessarily required to win a JKR mirror. It can be helpful, but not as helpful as other things (I have well over 1000 JKR mirrors across two accounts).

The DR meta seems almost totally dependent on either speed OR randomness. For example, my slow as molasses DR team successfully defended against a shard mate whose mods are far superior to mine, essentially because my BSF resisted his. I've lost matches I should have won easily because BSF seemingly gets dodged on one out of every five finishing blows, etc.

Given the fickle nature of obtaining arena quality mods, it would be good to know if this is the future of arena (a required part of the game to pay for the more enjoyable parts).
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member

It wasn't clear from your original post that your team was on defense on a quick reading.

Fair enough, I will just say that anyone who wants to leap to "you are terrible" should maybe slow down and think about what they are about to say.

Fair enough, I will just say that anyone who wants to leap to "you are terrible" should maybe slow down and think about what they are about to say.

+1