Primary vs secondary mod stat importance

While I've been in the game a while (going on maybe close to 3 years) I'm still trying to figure out mods. While I've asked several questions regarding them and have a basic understanding of them I still feel like I'm missing something. I know the basic stuff like speed primary arrows are a big thing and most primary stats are the biggest take away for others like potency and stuff with speed secondaries needing to be at least in the double digits if possible. My question is which stats should I be more focused on when determining if a mod is any good would it be primary or secondary stats? I'm sure this might change between toons but when I deal with building up squads like example my bounty hunters for chewie event all my bh are 7 star gear 12 and I currently run bossk lead but even with rng I just dont stand a chance. I know that speed, potency and attack order are the big strategy but i just need some insight.

Replies

• Primaries are for what you need the toon to do best, for example, protection on a cross is for someone like GK.

Speed is the most important secondary. If a mod doesn’t have any speed secondaries, I usually sell it.
  • So like in the case of chewie event I should focus on potency primaries? I'm pretty sure that only one type of mod is designed for that but something to that effect
  • Dwinkelm
    767 posts Member
    A few things to consider when talking about mod strategy:

(These are GENERAL guidlines, there are bajillions of exceptions to these rules)

1. Discrete numbers tend to have stronger impact than percentage numbers (for example, +30 offense is better than +1.00% offense)
    2. Defense has diminishing returns due to the damage algorithm (that is, an armor rating of 50% is less than twice as effective as an armor rating of 25%)
    3. Tenacity is also effective against TMR and Max Health/Protection reduction, it is invaluable on certain toons and typically underrated by many.
    4. After speed secondaries, pick secondaries that synergies with leader abilities, zeta abilities, and/or unique abilities. Mods that are “extreme” have more value than those that are well-rounded (that is, a 5A mod that has (4) upgrades to any one stat is better than a 5A mod that has (2) upgrades to several stats)
    5. In the current end-game for mods, when you slice to 6e, the Primary Statistics are MUCH more level. In fact, you’ll find most end-game players using 6e health mods over protection and 6e offense mods over Crit Damage. The best mods to bring to 6e are those “extreme” mods I mentioned in the point above.

Slicing to 6e takes A LOT of resources, so plan accordingly! Mods are probably the best investment in the game currently, as they are the only resource which may be reallocated.
  • Dwinkelm
    767 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    ex4m7f76toy1.png
    vpmpzzagiese.png
    j7x8s8666qbn.png

Here is my KRU for example. I utilize Health Sets to synergize with his Leader and Unique abilities, and Two Health primaries as well as two Defense Primaries (and obvious speed triangle and offense square) . I have as high speed secondaries as possible, and I used one mod with strong Offense secondary to help with his Focused Rage special in which he also recovers health... otherwise I looked for as much health and defense as possible.

Hope this helps!
  • Mods are pure evil. Everything about this game is either stacked turn meter or preloaded turn meter which requires you to offset your mods with Speed.

Arena is the purest example of how out of balance mods 2.0 is. “We promise to weight stats other than speed more heavily relying on skill rather than pure speed to determine outcomes.” Yeah bull malarkey! Try to enter and win Arena or a Legendary Event or Journey without heavily stacked speed and see how that works out for you.

The only stats that seem to matter are +speed to every secondary stat on every mod you own.
    Prot or Health for your tanks
    Offense for your damage dealers
    Every other stat is just extra.

My GK has a main stat prot circle with Prot, Prot%, Health, Speed.
    Conversely GMY has a Crit Chance circle with Off, Off, Speed, Crit Damg secondaries.

Just play with it and see what works best for your play style. I aim for 85k plus prot on tanks with over 45k health, and 3500 plus offense on damage dealers.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Dwinkelm wrote: »
    Slicing to 6e takes A LOT of resources, so plan accordingly! Mods are probably the best investment in the game currently, as they are the only resource which may be reallocated.

Worth noting that winning Grand Arena is by far the best way to get 6E slicing mats. It's pretty much my only source of them, as my mod energy is always going towards farming new mods or slicing up existing ones, and the resources you can use for the gold thingies are always going towards gear. I win most of my brackets and the worst I ever do is 2nd place, so that's 2-3 new gold mods per week, roughly.

Just something to consider if you're one of those people STILL refusing to do anything but join and let the game throw down those hilarious auto defense teams (oh noes R2D2 lead!)
    Mods are pure evil. Everything about this game is either stacked turn meter or preloaded turn meter which requires you to offset your mods with Speed.

Accurate. There are a VERY small number of characters that don't need speed, mostly tanks (L3-37, Sith Trooper and Resistance Trooper are the only ones I can think of at the moment), but the vast majority are borderline useless if you can't get at least 60-70 speed on them.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• @Dwinkelm what an interesting KRU set! I use CD/HEALTH to try to do the same, I figure his Focused Range gives Health to Damage Dealt so I figure a super high Crit Dam would yield more health. Everything else is Offense and Speed. He can hit slightly weak so I want his crits high.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    @Dwinkelm what an interesting KRU set! I use CD/HEALTH to try to do the same, I figure his Focused Range gives Health to Damage Dealt so I figure a super high Crit Dam would yield more health. Everything else is Offense and Speed. He can hit slightly weak so I want his crits high.

KRU can actually hit pretty hard with that special too. I've had him dish out crits for 20k+ using a CD triangle. He's a good candidate for those weird "who does this even fit" mods where it's like a good CD triangle with speed secondary but it's from the defense set.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• https://discord.gg/8bRQvKG
    OP - all the answers to all the questions is there. Even questions you didn't ask yet. All the info there is also saved, can search and all, much better than the forums.

@Dwinkelm you should aim for higher. 52-53% armor and 65K+ HP will give you the anti dps build that might be enough vs CLS, and Rex Wampas, and not just ImpTroopers and ewoks (that you current KRU probably can timeout some of those)
    TW/GA Counters Bot - https://discord.gg/jZH44Hb | Discord: SidiousIsPikachu#5768
  • For those newer players...all of the primary stats are fixed and there is no vareation.

What I mean by that is all 5 star speed arrows at level 15 will have 30 speed. So a gold speed arrow or a grey speed arrow both at 5 star will have the same speed as they level up.

So the variations really is really when it comes to the secondaries.

Also when it comes to the secondaries. Ever 3 levels (3, 6, 9 and 12) a new secondary is exposed until all 4 can be seen. (All mods have one primary and 4 secondaries when they are at level 12) once all for are showing then one of them is increased.

Gold mods at level 1 start with all 4 of their secondaries showing

Purple mods at leve 1 have 3 of their secondaries showing

Blue mods at leve 1 have 2 of their secondaries showing

Green mods at leve 1 have 1 of their secondaries showing

Grey mods at leve 1 have none of their secondaries showing

So going back to the leveling...if you have a gold mod...at level 1 all 4 secondaries are showing so as you hit levels 3, 6, 9 and 12 one of the secondaries will increase.

For a green mod...at level one only one of the secondaries are showing...so at levels 3, 6 & 9 the other 3 show and at level 12 one of those 4 will increase.

What that means is...when you are looking for a stat (let’s say speed) you should level your stars until all of them are showing so see if they are going to show speed.

Gold- don’t need to be leveled to see all their secondaries.
    Purple- need to be leveled to level 3 so see the 4th stat.
    Blue- level 6
    Green- level 9
    Grey- level 12

That’s important to know so you don’t waste credits leveling a purple mod to 15 trying to see all the secondaries when you could have stopped at level 3.

You can also slice them to change the color once they are level 15. As you do one of your secondaries will increase as well.

Hope this isn’t information overload.
    And hope it helps.
  • The best mods have +25 secondary speed unless it's a arrow. Then you want speed primary.

If you have enough 25+ speed secondary mods you will be able to get #1 in arena and beat all game modes that you have unlocked.

Without 20 to 25 secondary speed you have no chance.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    On Chewie event: Potency is really only used if you use Boba lead (That is how I got him). 75% potency and 200+ speed on them all. Otherwise many of the BH can use a Potency cross, but its not necessary beyond that (Although Ig88 has really low base potency so he might use at least 1 pair too).

Speed has been touched on. Beyond speed I think some mod stats are highly undervalued.

Potency: If you have a toon with a debuff that you REALLY want to stick, put a potency cross on them at least. Some toons absolutely need them. Holdo and 88 both have really good debuffs and really low potency. The vets Also come to mind but there are others. Almost anyone that inflicts daze should get one as its OP. I almost never sell potency crosses.

Tenacity: Some toons can become almost immune to debuffs with some tenacity and this is really important on Tanks. Zaalbar can easily get 90%+ tenacity and you dont want him getting buff blocked. The other toon that I find really really nasty with high tenacity is KRU. He is easy to kill with heal immunity. I use cheap g9 BH secondary team with IG88 to kill low tenacity KRU. He is almost impossible to kill without heal immunity. When I look at an enemy KRU in GA I look at his tenacity first. Mine is g9 and has 74% tenacity. Ive seen g12 ones with 90% tenacity and just GFL killing him with a cheap team. Maybe all health KRU is better as posted above but my personal opinion is that high tenacity is better on him.

Play to the individual toon strengths. Crit Avoidance Arrow is not great on most toons. On Zaalbar its great as He can get over 100% crit immunity, etc.

• Is the Primary stat the one that you can see on the mod?? I have always been confused about this.
  • Mephisto_style
    5724 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    VonZant wrote: »
    On Chewie event: Potency is really only used if you use Boba lead (That is how I got him). 75% potency and 200+ speed on them all. Otherwise many of the BH can use a Potency cross, but its not necessary beyond that (Although Ig88 has really low base potency so he might use at least 1 pair too).

Speed has been touched on. Beyond speed I think some mod stats are highly undervalued.

Potency: If you have a toon with a debuff that you REALLY want to stick, put a potency cross on them at least. Some toons absolutely need them. Holdo and 88 both have really good debuffs and really low potency. The vets Also come to mind but there are others. Almost anyone that inflicts daze should get one as its OP. I almost never sell potency crosses.

Tenacity: Some toons can become almost immune to debuffs with some tenacity and this is really important on Tanks. Zaalbar can easily get 90%+ tenacity and you dont want him getting buff blocked. The other toon that I find really really nasty with high tenacity is KRU. He is easy to kill with heal immunity. I use cheap g9 BH secondary team with IG88 to kill low tenacity KRU. He is almost impossible to kill without heal immunity. When I look at an enemy KRU in GA I look at his tenacity first. Mine is g9 and has 74% tenacity. Ive seen g12 ones with 90% tenacity and just GFL killing him with a cheap team. Maybe all health KRU is better as posted above but my personal opinion is that high tenacity is better on him.

Play to the individual toon strengths. Crit Avoidance Arrow is not great on most toons. On Zaalbar its great as He can get over 100% crit immunity, etc.

If you have a toon with a debuff you really want to stick, a potency cross is insufficient. You need to mod for at least 70% potency for any consistent landing. Less than that is just unreliable. 24% primary, 15% from an offset?, 3-5% from each mod 18 to 30%. Just takes a tiny bit of effort to get 90-100% total potency on a G12 toon. That's where's I keep my Cad and Teebo if I use them.
    Post edited by Mephisto_style on
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    DarthKoon wrote: »
    Is the Primary stat the one that you can see on the mod?? I have always been confused about this.

This may be of help.

https://gaming-fans.com/star-wars-goh/swgoh-101/swgoh-101-comprehensive-mod-guide/swgoh-101-mod-guide-primary-secondary-stats/

https://gaming-fans.com/star-wars-goh/swgoh-101/swgoh-101-comprehensive-mod-guide/

Visual example:

Screenshot_20170407-223111-e1491570990310-271x300.png

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Thanks for the pic. That actually helps clarify what I was trying to figure out.
  • Some things that make a mod good is if the stat, either primary or secondary, is the same as the set type. So a CD triangle with a CD primary for example.
    For speed set mods, you NEED to have speed secondaries. As you need 4 mods to complete the set and gain only 15% speed, if you don't have good speed on those, you'd have a better speed by keeping mismatched mods with better secondary speed.
    Offense primaries on arrows and crosses are keepers.
    The rest comes with experience, you'll understand what you need by experimenting and looking at what other people are doing. Check the mods of your opponents before fighting them and learn from that.