Padme or CLS, which is better?

Prev1
Relatively new-ish (under a year) player here.

After finishing Jango-lead bounty hunters off (my current arena team, currently all G12 with all relevent zetas), I've been focusing my farming on Sepratists (only Dooku amd Droideka left to 7* for the team I plan to use, both 5* now about halfway to 6*) and CLS journey toons (only Leia and R2 to 7*, leia will be 7* in 2 weeks max, and I have a capable 7* empire team for R2's event next roll around). My goal is to shift my arena team as, with the coming of JKR's 3rd pass combined with Drevan/Malak, I've become unable to hold top 100 in arena (those two combined dropped me from ~60-ish to ~350-ish, i can get up to about 200 if I work hard and have convenient opponents like NS, Empire, or other BH teams).

I effectively have 3 questions because of this:

1. Which team is better, CLS or Padme. I plan to get both ASAP, but would prefer to focus gearing efforts on the better of the two first

2. What should the 5th toon be on a Padme squad? Currently looking at Padme, GK, anakin, and Snips. GMY seems good, but I worry he's better suited for a jedi squad than a G-republic squad, plus Padme seems to work best with mid-tier speed than super high speed, so a fast toon like GMY doesnt get full benefit in my eyes.

3. What gear level should I aim for for CLS event toons? Shouod I push all of them to 10-11+, or get one or two to 10-11+ and leave the rest around 7-8 ish. I'm almost entirely F2P (spent $20 during Jango marquee back in the day, but not since and likely not ever again), so if I can do something with less gear investment, I like to, just because it saves me alot of time and lets me farm other things.

I know I could probably go search the answers through the all mighty Google, but I'm lazy, sorry.

Replies

• SamuraiUX
    265 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    CLS is more versatile, and by himself (e.g., one-on-one vs. Padme) is a stronger toon with more survivability. But Padme's team, being newer, is perhaps more meta-ish. To have a really competitive CLS team right now, you need Raid Han, Legendary Chewie, and 3PO. That's kind of steep. My Padme team is my arena team, and if you don't have that EXACT CLS team, I can smush you.

Luke makes most Rebel teams pretty strong - and there are TONS of Rebels. Padme makes GR teams GREAT. Even crappy toons like Jedi Guardian become beastly under Padme's lead. But there are a lot less toons on the GR roster. Give and take.

So the ultimate CLS team seems to be CLS, Raid Han, Legendary Chewie, R2, and 3PO. Until you get 3PO, Old Ben is probably your next best. I also like Fulcrum there. In case you decide to go that route.

The ultimate Padme team seems to be Padme, Ani, Ahsoka, GK, and zBarriss. I've tried just about every other GR member for that 5th spot and Barriss lasts the longest and does the best... IF you have her zeta. You're right that Yoda is strong on that team (it's super offensive!) but he's better off elsewhere. zBarriss gives you the staying power you need, and everyone on that team ends up hitting like a truck under Padme, so you'll be fine on offense.

I know I'm not answering all your Qs directly (I don't know all the answers!) but I hope that helped. CLS seems like the first step toon - more versatile and foundational. But you seem closer to a strong Padme team. It's up to you! Feel free to ask follow-up Qs if you want! =)
  • 1. Padme
    2. Basically any GR. That's the beauty of the team.
    3. I'm not sure about this one.
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    3. You don't need much gear. Made it with 10 STHan, Leia, old Ben 9, Luke 8 and Lando 8 . It's an easy event
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    Juzz wrote: »
    3. You don't need much gear. Made it with 10 STHan, Leia, old Ben 9, Luke 8 and Lando 8 . It's an easy event

You can’t use lando. So irrelevant.

How high you gear them, depends on what the plan is with a cls team. You can get by with all in the 8- 10 range. R2 is worth gearing up, storm Han if you’re ever thinking about scoundrels, and old Ben is good too at the top end of his gear. And never underestimate a luke team. He’s hung around a long time and is still one of the best offensive squads. I wouldn’t say hands down that padme is better. But that could change.
  • CLS is probably doable with all g8 if you have patience or god mods. I had STH and Leia at g9 others at g8, a couple omegas per char and no Zetas. Took half a dozen tries, just need STH to start the final round with enough protection to survive taunting and R2 and Farmboy to land there stuns on the right chars.
  • Jamerson
    74 posts Member
    2. zariss works really good and you can save GMY for a revan or bastilla team!
  • CLS >> Padme
    He has farm more uses.
  • CLS >> Padme
    He has farm more uses.

True but check my new thread. 0 CLS in my shard top 50, 1 padme
  • CLS by far.

CLS is required for raids, and is a great stand alone/plug and play.

Padme needs GR.
  • TVF
    36568 posts Member
    CLS is required for raids.

Nope!

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Thanks, from what I'm seeing it seems like Padme for arena, CLS for utility.

As such, I'll be focusing hard on padme and probably looking at Zariss for the 5th.

I only care about arena performance right now. I dont care about soloing raids, and my g12 bounty hynters work wonderfully in the raids we do, to the point that I easily pull my weight and then some by just choosing which phases to go in carefully. I plan to get both eventually (since you dont need high gear, I'll probably still get CLS on his next roll around, just wont worry about pumping his gear to the moon as quickly or farming the other rebel team toons) but only have the resources to super-grind for one right now, and it sounds like Padme for what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the guidance
  • Sentia
    280 posts Member
    Barris is a strong choice, she will help hold on defense, potentially causing week offense teams to time out. Other good 5ths for a Padme team are more offense focused like C3PO (mass assists), R2-D2 (Smoke screen to keep focus off Anakin), or Aalya (lots of assists).
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    CWC according to GC videos...

As for #3 - if you have good/great mods to move over for the event you only need G9 on Han to absorb damage and G8 on the other 4. Easily. Don't over gear.
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »

As for #3 - if you have good/great mods to move over for the event you only need G9 on Han to absorb damage and G8 on the other 4. Easily. Don't over gear.

That was my experience too. I tried it with g8 on everyone except R2, but I had to g9 ST Han and mod him for max. protection in order to make it work. A tanky R2 is a big help too. He can act as a second tank by putting smokescreen on himself when Han isn't taunting. What also helps is to omega FB Luke's special. The stormtroopers can be a pain without a dispel.
    phartung55 wrote: »
    Thanks, from what I'm seeing it seems like Padme for arena, CLS for utility.

And both for GA. Even without 3PO, CLS can beat anything short of the current S tier (Kevan, Devan & Padme). Potentially even those if you out-mod your opponent. And Padme is a must in GA if you have a bunch of underutilized Galactic Republic toons on your roster. I'm focusing on CLS, but I'm aiming for a 5* unlock at least in the next Padme event.
  • padme is a beast but falls to palpatine... cls is a must have any way, g8 with some omegas and g9 on sthan is enough for cls.
    as for galactic team, i found even luminara surprisingly usefull and deadly, zaris must be even better. zsnips is a must...
  • 1) Padme. Which Cls is still amazing. He's past his time for the most part. He's no longer an exclusive choice for many modes. There are other options just as good.
    But be warned, Padme is a **** to gear up.

2) Clone wars Chewie, Barriss? Rex, R2 and 3p0 are all good choices.
    Clone wars chewie is potentially the best. See AhNald101s recent video on this.

3) gear level for Cls, rebels g9+ will do
  • 1) Padme. Which Cls is still amazing. He's past his time for the most part. He's no longer an exclusive choice for many modes. There are other options just as good.
    But be warned, Padme is a **** to gear up.

2) Clone wars Chewie, Barriss? Rex, R2 and 3p0 are all good choices.
    Clone wars chewie is potentially the best. See AhNald101s recent video on this.

3) gear level for Cls, rebels g9+ will do
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »

Wait, Padme made CWC useful? That is indeed awesome.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »

But he has other uses too. According to @Killbot5000 Jedi Knight Guardian works well here too.
  • VonZant wrote: »

But he has other uses too. According to @Killbot5000 Jedi Knight Guardian works well here too.

Yes. JKG is hilariously fun.
    Can one shot the target and hit ability block on the rest off of her special.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »

Yes. JKG is hilariously fun.
    Can one shot the target and hit ability block on the rest off of her special.

I just want to run it because you know people will underestimate it and it sounds hilarious.

GR is my next favorite faction after scoundrels. I hope a few more Jedi get some love.
  • Weltall
    98 posts Member
    If you look at the big picture of the game, CLS is way more valuable than Padme.
    He can solo Rancor, is usually a squaddie in high-performance hAAT+STR squads, pretty much needed in LS TB, a solid char in TW and GA with the right squads.

As for Padme, her only strength currently is that she can take on DRevan squads, aswell Dralak squads with a good bunch of luck and she will probably be needed in the GeoTB. All she does in arena or any other game mode, JKR+DR and other teams can do better (which is mainly due to her prevention of TM to the squad which pushes her in a very small niche of squad options). Is she good? yes. However, the amount of Zetas and gear one has to invest into her (current) squad(s), and also the correct mods (very little room for mistakes here!) makes her a toon which is more something for players who have done all the other important character farms (CLS/JTR/BB8/JKR/DR) who outperform her in non-arena game modes.

I don't have either JKR or DR, and am running her in Arena, tried many setups, but the end of the line for her is Dralak squads, additionally JKR squads are a pain to deal with for any of her GR teams (very likely to lose matches). Given the options, i'd suggest getting JKR or (preferably) DR for arenas plus CLS (for any game more, really), work on Separatists meanwhile, and observe how GR squads emerge. The Cliffhanger here is, we don't know what Characters will come with the new TB's soon. After so many arena battles, i feel like Padme is missing one 5th squaddie (or rework) that makes her more reliable in (Top End) Arena and puts her at the same efficiency level as JKR and DRalak teams.
  • kieltrx
    129 posts Member
    A perfect sum up in a post above. As a long term cls arena user I can tell you that this guy can beat just about everything. Traya, gg, palp, sisters, jkr, drevan with malak, whatever team you call, cls beats it. Of course he's non-meta as he can be easily beaten on defense, but offensively he is a beast.
  • Weltall wrote: »
    If you look at the big picture of the game, CLS is way more valuable than Padme.
    He can solo Rancor, is usually a squaddie in high-performance hAAT+STR squads, pretty much needed in LS TB, a solid char in TW and GA with the right squads.

As for Padme, her only strength currently is that she can take on DRevan squads, aswell Dralak squads with a good bunch of luck and she will probably be needed in the GeoTB. All she does in arena or any other game mode, JKR+DR and other teams can do better (which is mainly due to her prevention of TM to the squad which pushes her in a very small niche of squad options). Is she good? yes. However, the amount of Zetas and gear one has to invest into her (current) squad(s), and also the correct mods (very little room for mistakes here!) makes her a toon which is more something for players who have done all the other important character farms (CLS/JTR/BB8/JKR/DR) who outperform her in non-arena game modes.

I don't have either JKR or DR, and am running her in Arena, tried many setups, but the end of the line for her is Dralak squads, additionally JKR squads are a pain to deal with for any of her GR teams (very likely to lose matches). Given the options, i'd suggest getting JKR or (preferably) DR for arenas plus CLS (for any game more, really), work on Separatists meanwhile, and observe how GR squads emerge. The Cliffhanger here is, we don't know what Characters will come with the new TB's soon. After so many arena battles, i feel like Padme is missing one 5th squaddie (or rework) that makes her more reliable in (Top End) Arena and puts her at the same efficiency level as JKR and DRalak teams.

My CLS team is really under geared and under zeta's and under modded with a 6* C3PO. It is currently in 316 rank arena. I love the team. The burst damage synergy is a blast! With a great opening 1 toon from the enemy team is gone. And it happens as a barrage so it os fun to watch. Botta Bing botta boom EP is dead. Even Vader sometimes.
    I imagine in 3 weeks this team will be much more of an arena force when 2 of the toons are G12 and my C3PO is 7* and I drop 2 more zeta on them.

Go CLS. It's also usually my last team standing on GA defense
  • CLS over Padmé, there’s nothing she can do that JKR can’t do better, and CLS can solo pit and is a key toon for HAAT solo and p3 HSTR solo. For what it’s worth, there are a couple CLS squads in my top 50, along with a couple JKRs, and the rest are DR+Malak. No Padmé teams, the one time I saw a Padmé team on defense I took it out in about 15 seconds with DR (no Malak). You may have success against dumb AI handling defenses, but she’s way to slow against either Revan (her Zeta still doesn’t block DR’s fear since it’s irresistible, so unless you go first it’s gonna be a quick party wipe). CLS actually has a chance since Han gets a guaranteed first turn.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Padme for the simple reason she may be used for a heroes journey type event. Many have speculated she’ll be needed for Fallen Anakin. CLS has better utility and the CLS/Chewbacca/Raid Han squad is one of the stronger teams in the game, but you would hate to miss out on a hero/villain journey by not having Padme if she is needed.
  • Mephisto_style
    5724 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    Padme for the simple reason she may be used for a heroes journey type event. Many have speculated she’ll be needed for Fallen Anakin. CLS has better utility and the CLS/Chewbacca/Raid Han squad is one of the stronger teams in the game, but you would hate to miss out on a hero/villain journey by not having Padme if she is needed.

Yeah, they are talking about a Genosian cap ship coming.
    "4. Speaking of the future, can you tell us a little about what we can expect?
    The biggest thing right now is the need for additional Capital Ships. We’ve added only one Capital Ship since the launch of the feature, and they provide a tremendous amount of strategic choice for players. With the upcoming Geonosis Territory Battle, we’re going to release a new Capital Ship. I wish we could show more benevolence and tell you exactly what’s coming, but negotiations are underway about when we will share the news"

We currently are 2 dark 2 light cap ships. With more LS ships as is and the current meta being HT and HMF, they have more potential to change the meta by improving DS ships. Genosian cap ship that buffs all 3 Genosian ships could do it but people are still looking for:

1st order
    Resistance
    Grievous
    GK
    and Luke Skywalker's xwing that finally uses r2, which is probably the silliest aspect of canon neglect at this point. We got ****'s x-wing before Luke/R2D2's.

So thinking about where we are going: you got a hint something Genosian is coming which GK and Padme seems reasonable

CLS will sooner or later get his x-wing. When that happens you will want it tomorrow.

Finally, my young CLS team just crushed another Bastilla team putting me at 316 rank. Offensively this thing is still fun and competitive for top 100 I think.
    Post edited by Mephisto_style on
  • Padmé needs a lot of speculation to be viewed as better than CLS.
  • Ikky2win wrote: »

There isn’t going to be a Fallen Anakin event. To me, that was pretty clear from the Q&A the other day.