Mods and GP Silliness

VonZant
3843 posts Member
edited May 2019
Ok, so I'm seeing this more and more and people are talking about it and so I decided that I shall come and discuss (whine) about it.

We are being encouraged to reduce our GP by not modding or removing mods from our toons. Turns out, I LIKE to mod my characters and farm mods because its like a slot-machine ding ding ding high and I need more addiction in my life. And I like to put mods on even my B team guys because I like to use them sometimes. We are given mod energy and encouraged to farm them and upgrade them and switch them around and have reserve sets. That makes sense.

But keeping mods on them is irrational in the current GA climate and we are technically at a disadvantage if we keep mods on B team guys. And then unloading them will force me to hit the cap and sell mods that I could otherwise use on my teams that I farmed and like to use. Is there a solution upcoming for this? I spent a lot of credits and time on mods and it seems I will be punished for it in GA.

As a temporary alleviation could the mod cap at least be increased so we aren't double punished for having a lot of teams modded?

Here is an example that I saw on a video the other day. There were scroll-pages of unmodded toons. These are "subpar" guys, sure, but it seems destructive and just flat un-fun to force this situation.

14zve5zb67c3.png

Replies

• TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Anyone who is stripping mods for GA is overreacting to the matchmaking.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

While I agree, the people that don't do it are seemingly punished.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    VonZant wrote: »

I disagree. I don't do it. I don't lose.

There's not enough GP in mods to matter, except for mods that you'd probably want to use anyway (if any).
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member

I don't do it either and I sometimes lose. Neither of our situations proves anything. Anyway you just said you dont mod toons you don't use, so its a similar situation as de-modding for GA. Both methods keeps your GP artificially low. :)
  • All toons to 85 Atleast gear 8 with mods. Not even grey mods!
    Have I ever won a ga? No. But Atleast all my toons are dressed for the occasion.
  • A few thousand GP from mods makes 0 difference in the quality of opponent you may or may not face.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    A small part of a much larger problem: using GP for matchmaking.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    A few thousand GP from mods makes 0 difference in the quality of opponent you may or may not face.

It can easily be the GP equivalent of 2-4 G12 toons, which at some GP levels can make a huge difference.

Like I said I dont do it, but Ive seen people at 4M+ GP do it. Point is, intentionally making your roster appear worse than it is should not be incentivized at all.
  • I have stripped down all non essential toons of any mods and leave new toons that I can't gear untouched and it makes a difference of about 150k GP so it's quite a lot.

That said, I have gear on everyone I could possibly need plus dozens and dozens of rainy day meh or niche mods that I have room for in storage, with room for at least 100 more. If you are out of space you need to sort by speed and sell some mods.

Take all those blue level 1s, pump em up to 6, see if theres a speed secondary if not sell it. You will free up the space I promise.
  • Perfect example is my current match. I am like the op, my opponent is basically the example they gave. My opponent is in a hstr guild has 6 more g12 toons than me and they mostly all have the g12+5 and traya while I don't. Our GPs are within 5k of each other, so that's a L for me, i'm not gonna even try this round. I hate GA, and hate that if I want the extra zeta, omegas and gear that i'm forced to participate. Btw these types of loses r the matches I lose, not the even ones. Obviously I'm a better player than my record shows and yet they r doing a ga championship, which will be filled with ppl like this, and better players are left out.
  • Stokat
    828 posts Member
    You can get an impossible opponent that has the latest meta and a great roster at 3,9 mil gp and get a really easy one at 4,2 mil. Removing some mods for a few thousand gp doesn’t really affect the opponents you draw either way, it’s about how lucky you get in the match up. Better to focus that energy on working on building and improving good squads for GA (including farming mods). That will make much more of a difference.
  • If someone makes the effort to strip mods and then put them back on for GA...I say good for them. Too much effort for me.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    i don't have mods on characters i never use. I removed them to stay < 4m GP (stupid idea, wouldn't recommend trying to stay under 4mil) and just never remodded them.
    Allthough it obviously benefits me with matchmaking, i doubt it would have effected my w/l ratio by much, if at all. If i knew what i know now, i wouldn't have done it. On the other hand, i'm too lazy to re-mod them all especially because it wouldn't benefit me and potentially even effect me negatively.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member

I don't do it either and I sometimes lose. Neither of our situations proves anything. Anyway you just said you dont mod toons you don't use, so its a similar situation as de-modding for GA. Both methods keeps your GP artificially low. :)

It's not the same. I don't bother to put mods on something I don't use. That's different than going back to a toon and removing mods.

You left out the more relevant part of my post, which is that a mod that is enough GP to matter would be one you would gain a benefit from anyway. There's zero benefit to mod stripping and as such does not punish those of us that don't do it.
  • For me, the GA era has brought in some odd behaviour from many players - and it all stems from the perceived wisdom of having a lean roster.

There are many, many players who are now deliberately not activating toons, leaving activated toons at low level/gear, not starring toons they have the shards for, stripping mods etc. And for many of them I think this creates an illusion that they are being smart and competitive, because that’s what they think all the smart people are doing.

But all these tricks to keep GP low are totally insignificant when compared to the impact of actually knowing how to use your roster, i.e. properly modding toons, knowing reliable counters to use against strong squads, setting tough defence squads that are hard to clear efficiently.

And that’s the problem. GP restricting tricks are really easy to do for any user, but effective roster use is really difficult. And until more users accept and realise that they’re not winning any matches because of GP restricting tricks, people will keep doing it.

• Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    There is a very valuable reason to strip mods and lose GP - if you don't want to pass the threshold for the next GP tier. It could be much better if matchmaking would be done with GP counting without mods, with total omegas and zetas gained in comparison (both in inventory and on character) and overall playtime.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Kisakee wrote: »
    There is a very valuable reason to strip mods and lose GP - if you don't want to pass the threshold for the next GP tier. It could be much better if matchmaking would be done with GP counting without mods, with total omegas and zetas gained in comparison (both in inventory and on character) and overall playtime.
    Demodding for this purpose is more like a disadvantage, really.
    The top 1% of a certain GP bracket is always tougher than the bottom of the next one.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

The math does prove some things though. The amount of GP in mods is minimal. You can browse your full guild roster and see how minimal it is between a member who strips them(yourself) and who doesn't. I consider mod stripping active sandbagging, the only way to actively sandbag there is. I don't do it whatsoever. My modless/out of use toons are the spots I use for modding websites are the spots to equip mods in swap since only equipped mods can be pulled as data from websites. I never unmod them after the process, they keep in that state weirdly modded and out of use until I get a reccomendation in remodding process when that mod is needed on active toons.

Anywho, consider the impact of passive sandbagging, across the time it became very substantial. I don't even mean lean/fluffy players before the release of GA. I mean the informed choices made after release of GA.

*in order to get a good picture of how much does fully stripping redundant mods vs. fully equpping them, look at other players with GP in your range. Looking at a 1.5M beginner vs. 4.5M one doesn't make the picture justice. Even taken with such extremes you'll see there's a movement room of 170k GP max (the reality you are showcasing in your post is much less).
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Kisakee wrote: »
    The top 1% of a certain GP bracket is always tougher than the bottom of the next one.

Even if that's true you'll need more overall teams which may brake your bones so either way could be right or wrong. It looks like you need to play the try and error game or you'll never know.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    I have mods on every character at level 50 or higher, and I upgrade the star level of every character with enough shards. However, I have stopped leveling and gearing characters that I do not use and do not have prioritized. My GA records have always been 2-1 or 3-0.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited June 2019

Even if that's true you'll need more overall teams which may brake your bones so either way could be right or wrong. It looks like you need to play the try and error game or you'll never know.

That's exactly my experience as well. I was one of those that tried to keep my head right under 4M gp at the launch by demodding. It immediately got majorly easier once I was above up until 4.25Ms where it flatlined back.

This is not rocket science or meta physics. It's basic game theory behaviour where the more tactical mind set ones makes a first degree assumption and generate flock behaviour due to that. 2nd degree assumption would be "everyone that's competetive will be doing that".
  • Mephisto_style
    5724 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    I like GA, and wish I had gotten into it earlier.

My GP puts me in the 5 team defense and a fleet (1.9 million) so ideally I need 10 legit squads. I've been working on that while staying focused toward farming for events. I just took 1st place against a DR team roster, my 2nd 1st place I have no great arena teams yet. My CLS team is still 350-450 on my shard.

But to the main point, my nodding is bow dedicated to those 10 teams making sure they are all legit mods for the toons and teams and 200ish speed. My scrappy resistance team and CLS team won me the last week's GA.

I decided that to remove the 8 or so character mod sets on my non-squad toons because I would just rearrange anyway if a new set of farming came through. So now I have 10 squads, lower GP, and the best chance of winning I've had.

Take off your unnecessary mods after putting them in loadouts and hopefully you won't be matched by someone trying as hard for GA.

https://swgoh.gg/p/335998188/characters/
    These are my squads. I only move around the last 3 at this point.
    fmtlewwgzl2w.png

q7o8i5tnwm5t.png
    9t8bkhz8a5zo.png
    5iaae3tuhuc8.png

Post edited by Mephisto_style on
  • In your ROLO led team... where’s wedge?

• In your ROLO led team... where’s wedge?

Just don't have him yet. If I did he would be there.