Grand Arena Championships MEGATHREAD

Replies

• Polcys
    7 posts Member
    Hello. Is it yet determined if you could fall to the previous league by losing matches?
  • Asifab
    140 posts Member
    I can understand not wanting to give players a new 7* character for free. Kind of like what happened with Malak after people unlocked with 5* the whales and players in top guilds were able to 7* him almost instantly. However what the dev's could do is alternate characters in the stores that already exist. Take some of the cantina farm toons or heaven for bid the hard node farms and put them in those shops. This would be a way of helping the lowered end players catch up on certain farms needed to unlock legendary toons.
  • Brown89
    174 posts Member
    Asifab wrote: »
    Kind of like what happened with Malak after people unlocked with 5* the whales and players in top guilds were able to 7* him almost instantly.

Players still had to save whilst being in the top guilds to get 7* Malak. If you didnt have a stock pile saved you probably still wont have a 7* Malak. I know I dont
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    You can tell which players in this thread are going to be in Carbonite league and which ones will be advancing by the end of this season
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    The reason they are introducing new stores is because players have stockpiled a lot of currency in existing stores, so that new content won't remain premium and will be quickly acquired by most

They can't make an arms race when dropping powerful toons in existing stores or control bottleneck gear salvage if everyone is already in the finish line
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    I am really excited about this game mode and think it looks great. GA is my second favorite game mode (after TW) andthis looks like it ups the stakes in a good way.

That said, I am a bit worried about "earning banners" being a part of how you climb the ranks. Earning banners should only contribute to that insofar as it allows you to win a GA battle, but should not factor into your championship score at all, as banners are very dependent on the opposition you face. In fact, the harder your opposition, the less banners you will score in victory, yet the more that victory should be "worth". If I beat up on some scrub, I can usually get away with half teams and earn full protection bonuses, even when I put my strongest teams on defense. If I'm facing a tough opponent, I am lucky to get all first attack victories, and will certainly score less banners than in the easier case. Yet this victory was vs a stronger opponent.

Finally, banners are dependent on strategies, and you will earn less banners vs an opponent who goes full defense and never attacks you then vs that exact same opponent if he sets a weak defense to hold teams for attack.

That's my only real point of concern for what you've presented so far, which looks like a lot of fun!
  • I like the sound of this! It should make people go back to maxing out all their characters and not leaving them on level 1, 7*. You want your power high to get in those better leagues and the better rewards.

Sounds a really good idea on paper and I look forward to playing!
  • Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    Unless they deal with Malak and Revan, GAs will be just waste of time.
    So, Any plans on allowing to bit Malak, CG? Or this “tournament” will be only among those who have them (and any other cow money you introduce)?
  • TAZZZOOO
    245 posts Member
    "Only the best" aka the under-inflated...
  • Hopefully I'll finally get to enjoy fights once I reach higher tiers. Its getting annoying, setting a defence and then my opponent doesn't bother to attack or lets a random defence set.

Least with this, I can win and lose knowing the fact I battled hard for it. (Well as hard as my wallet took me that is :P)
  • ThisYeezy
    582 posts Member
    TheSaint wrote: »

Well said.
  • Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    Cannot agree more
  • It was ultimately on them for not adding to all the stores steadily/waiting so long to think about adding something before realizing alot of people had huge stockpiles.
  • Recom
    41 posts Member
    Is the new matchmaking algorithm going to take mods into account?
  • TSWPandaman
    81 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    The reason they make a new ga store is to entice you to play it. That's pretty much all. Of course they could have upgraded the old stores, in a way that will make you use your stockpile, but that wouldn't make you play their new mode for their stats.
  • What I dont like about GA is that I always seem to have the 3rd or 4th best roster of the 8 I am matched with and 90% of the time I end up playing the 1st and 2nd best rostered opponents, so I regularly get 1 win and then 2 close losses because I'm outscored by try hards who get 10 points more then me or I get a bad RNG and lose because I dont mirror their 1 battle full clear. Dont get me wrong I'm happy for the try hards to get their rewards (assuming they were not doing illegal mod switching) but I end up in 6 or 7th place when i could easily have beaten the guy who got 4th and probably the guy who got 3rd. I hope this mode helps to even this out imbalance because I have lost interest in a GA when I put a lot of effort in to lose against ultra strong competition only to see others who I can beat coasting past me.
  • Azgard
    15 posts Member
    Sounds great. I can't wait.
    Seems like the battle will now be more independant from the overall GP. Unfortunately my GP is way too inflated and I have never won GA before. Second place is the best for me until now :neutral:
    I hope the ranks will be in my favour now
  • looks fun. i hope this is league ( everybody facing each other at least once) instead of tournament format (too much luck dependant) , rewards are nice and worth the time and effort and initial matchmaking is proper. later on i guess it is facing the best from others...
  • Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    Azgard wrote: »
    Sounds great. I can't wait.
    Seems like the battle will now be more independant from the overall GP. Unfortunately my GP is way too inflated and I have never won GA before. Second place is the best for me until now :neutral:
    I hope the ranks will be in my favour now

I.e. you’re out of highest and possibly second to highest league too. So you will be still on the bottom of food chain. How would it help you?
  • WickedWally
    30 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Naraic wrote: »
    The devs have said that legacy stores are for shard shop currency. What they really mean is that people are sitting on 20k currency for most shops so the developers see releasing a new character in those shops as a way of giving people a a 7 star for free.

That's the exact opposite of what they have said. They have said that they won't be releasing new characters in those stores.

I agree with possibly rotating older characters to help new players catch up.

Also think they could add the currency and items that need that currency to an existing shop. Stops the bloat of shops, but doesn't stop the bloat of currencies. We currently have 11 types of currency. Soon to be 12 with the addition of GA currency.

I want to point out. I'm super excited for GA championships. GA is already my favorite mode in the game. It can only get better. I just don't like the idea of adding another currency/shop with so many dead ones currently in the game.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I'm probably stupid, but i don't get it.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Allow me to propose alternate names for the leagues:
    Carbonite - Can't be bothered
    Bronzium - Noob
    Chromium - Active
    Aurodium - Veteran
    Kyber - Whale
    That's pretty much how I expect it to turn out every time.
  • Placing my bets now

1. No fleets (I love fleet, many agree, many hate them), but it feels like CG only included them in GA to satisfy people like me, and then gave any GA inc fleet crappy rewards (useless gear and omegas instead of high demand gear and zetas). Not feeling the love for Fleet, so betting GAC is 5v5, squads only.

2. GAC Exhibition will be cancelled. I love the game, but lets face it CG have not had the best 'on day of release' record lately. Betting some bug will be found so heinous the GAC has to be cancelled and everyone gets compensation.

I'd really like to be wrong.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Placing my bets now

1. No fleets (I love fleet, many agree, many hate them), but it feels like CG only included them in GA to satisfy people like me, and then gave any GA inc fleet crappy rewards (useless gear and omegas instead of high demand gear and zetas). Not feeling the love for Fleet, so betting GAC is 5v5, squads only.

2. GAC Exhibition will be cancelled. I love the game, but lets face it CG have not had the best 'on day of release' record lately. Betting some bug will be found so heinous the GAC has to be cancelled and everyone gets compensation.

I'd really like to be wrong.

I think they will change up the format, but hopefully not within one championship.
  • Are championships connected between each other? Or results of first championship won’t affect matchmaking of second one?
    Because if it is just 2 separated tournaments, I don’t see the real difference with current system