Grand Arena Championships MEGATHREAD

Replies

• Xhedao
    209 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    In order to quench the GP sandbagging for GA it is necessary, that the top rewards of a lower league are less valuable, than the lowest reward in the next higher league. Otherweise many people will not try to get in the higher leagues on purpose.
    If I saw the vid correctly, the feasts are connected to other contents ingame? e.g. the two quests about winning squad arena battles and 1 fleet arena battle.
    Are the quests of the single feasts are designed in a way to equalize the roster of players? The last visible quest of the feast was "win a GA battle with a full team of seperatists". I assume there are more quests, which need specific teams, are these just new teams or also something like "gear your Jawas to G11 and 7 star them"?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Xhedao wrote: »
    Are the quests of the single feasts are designed in a way to equalize the roster of players? The last visible quest of the feast was "win a GA battle with a full team of seperatists". I assume there are more quests, which need specific teams, are these just new teams or also something like "gear your Jawas to G11 and 7 star them"?
    Gearing and starring probably won't be a part of the feats, they need to be repeatable for every championship.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Anew_Hope wrote: »
    What I dont like about GA is that I always seem to have the 3rd or 4th best roster of the 8 I am matched with and 90% of the time I end up playing the 1st and 2nd best rostered opponents, so I regularly get 1 win and then 2 close losses because I'm outscored by try hards who get 10 points more then me or I get a bad RNG and lose because I dont mirror their 1 battle full clear. Dont get me wrong I'm happy for the try hards to get their rewards (assuming they were not doing illegal mod switching) but I end up in 6 or 7th place when i could easily have beaten the guy who got 4th and probably the guy who got 3rd.

May I suggest, that you try harder next time, then? If your opponent won because he tried harder than you, he deserves the higher rank more than you.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Zyppah wrote: »
    The whole reality is that GA is whale arena. That's it plain and simple.

F2P players win frequently too.
  • Please ensure that the mod glitch that is being used is fixed prior to starting ga championship. This mod moving glitch is being used too often. Otherwise looking forward to it. Just don't want to face someone that is cheating. Thanks cg!
  • Tarah
    202 posts Member
    waiting to see rewards....
  • evoluza wrote: »
    Are championships connected between each other? Or results of first championship won’t affect matchmaking of second one?
    Because if it is just 2 separated tournaments, I don’t see the real difference with current system

One championship takes 5 weeks.
    All scores go together and you get ranked with your points

Yeah, I get this - it is not season or league system) so every championship you will be matched by gp, as it is right now, not by your previous results - so nothing new here
  • Liath wrote: »
    Will rosters be locked for the entirety of the championship or will we get to benefit from upgrades made during the weeks it is running?

^^This! If a championship runs for a whole month does that mean a fixed roster for that entire month, or will there be a new "lock-in" at the start of each 1-week section of it? @cg_sbcrumb
  • Please stop saying the best player in the world, it's the ones who spend the most
  • Saneth
    13 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    I find this very interesting as someone who likes Grand Arena and think it is a very good format (on the opposite of Squad Arena that I find to be a very badly designed format).

What is not very good is the unbalance of character design choices, like Revan, DRevan or Malak, but this is not a specific issue of GA.

For me there are two main problems right now for GA :

- Many people not playing them, but registering in anyway because why would they skip the free loser rewards ? So you get quite many matchups with autodeploy afk players. This is frustrating when you actually would like to PLAY, not only farm.
    So, I guess with championship this will slice the players according to their performances, so that after some ranking up, you will more rarely end up fighting a ghost. And if there are better rewards for ranking up, that's good for me, I will take it.

- Matchmaking. Basing matchmaking on an objective factor, like GP, is good. Devs should stay away from complicated systems which try to assess the power of teams based on their spot on the meta. It will just fail anyway because it's based on the false premise that the strengh should be balanced by subjective factors from the designers point of view, and not objective factors the player can control.

It would be as absurd as playing Warhammer Battle but, instead of buying armies with actual points, having some king of mysterious logic where if you play this or that unit, your opponent should not play this one or that one, because... well... the meta says so.

At least GP is an objective value and as a player I can assess if taking GP to get this character or this ability is good. But, nonetheless, GP as they do it now is NOT good. Because you find yourself punished for making any kind of progress if they are not GA-oriented (like you are upping a team specialized for raids, or only to unlock another character, or to increase your overall GP for TB, or because you like collecting some unuseful character...).

It should be done another way to be fair and truly represent tactical skill of the player, and not pure overall roster optimization. For exemple, maybe you should enlist the teams or the characters you will use in GA before the matchmaking process their GP to matchmake with. There are many ways a solution could be designed around this.

I am not clear about how the championship will interract with this issue exactly, so I will wait to see.
  • Can we stop this nonsense right now? GA is the worst thing to be added since pvp tournaments. It's fine if you want give people something to compete in but remove all rewards and just grant titles and stupid crap like that. That way people that hate your stupid mini TW aren't forced to play it.

I also don't like GA, but it doesn't mean I'm going around just saying to stop grand arena it's useless and stuff. I just don't play it. So stop complaining
    This is... SPARTAAAAAAA
  • But now I do
    This is... SPARTAAAAAAA
  • I wanna try it. Sounds fun
    This is... SPARTAAAAAAA
  • I speculate Feats are gonna make it far easier for paying players to claim higher ranks
  • Definitely looks like it could be fun, especially if the rewards are better than the current couple of Omegas situation, a couple of questions for @cg_sbcrumb and friends though:
    1) How many people (roughly if it's not an exact number) will get promoted or relegated from each league each week?
    2) Can we please get some details on what this new Currency will be used for, and some examples of intended cost per X
    3) Given the clear attempt and intention to move the game focus away from Squad Arena and more to GA - which is absolutely fine in general - will CG now GENUINELY do what it has claimed for a while is its aim and allow for a varied meta where there aren't simply 1/2 virtually unbeatable squads for people who don't themselves have the same squad?? Will you stop nerfing or post-release-buffing so that people can theory craft capable counter squads that stop the whole "Grand Arena Revan Wall" issue where if your opponent has a proper Revan squad and you don't then it's virtually an immediate loss. If you hadn't post-buffed Malak or nerfed JKA (or done a less severe nerf) or if you'd stuck to prior statements about reducing the dependency on Speed (300+ speed Revans anyone??) then we'd already have a more varied and fair squad meta close to rock-paper-scissors in readiness for GA Championship. It's gotten to the stage where people don't want to tell anyone about their theory crafted counter squads because as soon as they do CG goes and nerfs them to protect the 1 squad meta. GA Championship will NEVER work properly or truly engage players if CG maintains its 1 squad meta approach to character releases and nerfs
    4) I know in the recent Q&A CG said they were definitely NOT intending to do a mass rework release of most/all outdated characters, and valid reasoning, but will CG at least make a commitment to making each Faction (other than Ugnaught) a functioning 5 or more character faction that can be used in GA going forwards? For instance Geonosians & Tuskens don't even have 5 faction members available - they don't have to be "rawr meta" just a useful synergistic squad of 5+ members, surely these would be great recipients of the somewhat unpopular Marquee releases as it'd give players something useful at the end by adding a new farm to an existing but currently underdeveloped faction to flesh it out
    5) Could we please get at least a rough date for when GA Championship and the new TB is intended to start? If there are delays or it comes earlier that's fine you can say so but are we talking start of July as the aim? Start of August?
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Only the best? By best you mean whales.
    Nah
  • Dnoff423
    403 posts Member
    @CG_SBCrumb

So will there be different GA championship groupings or is it just going to be one giant championship grouping consisting of all players? Basically I'm asking if there will be different shards like in arena that are based on a GA matchmaking system of some sort so that you don't have 1 mil GP players in the same championship as 4 mil GP players.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    It’s a global leaderboard so I don’t think there is going to be shard divisions
  • Dnoff423
    403 posts Member
    @CG_SBCrumb

Or is it everyone is in the same championship, I'm going to call it "arena" for lack of thinking of a better term, and then you have little mini GAs during the 4 to 5 weeks of the championship that are based on your normal GA matchmaking?
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    So many sooks. Everyone wanted a fair matchup and they will get that depending on how your going in the championship but to expect that you will get a fair matchup since your lacking g12s and great squads and receive the best rewards is a joke. It's like saying your ranked 1000 in arena but want 300 crystals cause you can beat squads similar to yours.
    You will get your fair matchup and receive rewards based on where you are situated in the game.....
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    Uh, so here's another game just copying the ranking system of League of Legends and all those competitive games. Well, after you decided that the rewards of the GA were too much and swapped zetas with omegas I think you definitely ruined that mode, that was already quite bad and with pointless rewards (that are now even more pointless). Oh well, we'll see.
  • Dnoff423
    403 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    It’s a global leaderboard so I don’t think there is going to be shard divisions

So I'm guessing that the different matchups throughout the championship would then be based on the current GA matchmaking system?
  • Gannon
    1626 posts Member
    How exactly is the matching system being changed? Will there be any testing with the new matchmaking program? I already have to face higher opponents almost every GA, it's very frustrating.
    @CG_SBCrumb
  • RR_Felipe
    14 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    1. Can we see something about the prizes, and the GA store?

2. How is it that those rankings will be made? GA is done by matching you with ppl with the same GP, and usually at the end of GA your GP is already higher than before, how can you track those rankings when GP changes a lot, did this means that the higher ranks will have higher GP???

3. We go always to higher ranks or there is a chance that you go back to lower ranks?