Grand Arena Championships MEGATHREAD

Replies

  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    Jack1210 wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    rickertron wrote: »
    Jack1210 wrote: »
    Dramgon wrote: »
    Dramgon wrote: »

    I'm going to join them, and put this crap in my rear view. Might as well place all my hardest teams on Defense, just to screw over my opponents.

    ...and screw over people that have nothing to do with it. Bravo, that's so mature of you. You must be great at parties.

    Yes, People hate me at parties too. That's why I don't get invited and I sit at home trying to win at SWGOH, but can't because I face people with faster, better teams because GAC doesn't match people evenly.

    If I'm placing half my best squads on defense, and using the other half on offense, and can't break through to the back territories against my opponents because they have a lot of faster MODS and better geared characters then where is the fun in GAC.

    Start slicing. I don't have the greatest mods, nothing over +20 speed but I have a ton in the teens and I really haven't invested that heavily in mod farming. I'll get slicing mats till I can slice a substantial amount, get rid of bad ones, farm more mods. Rinse, repeat. If you start dropping only 150 crystals into that cycle it will go quite quickly and soon you'll have plenty of solid mods to bridge the gap

    Great simple advice.

    All those “great” simple advices only to justify a broken matchmaking system?

    I already wrote multiple examples here why the matchmaking is not fair. @TVF and others:
    With your argument you can match 1mil GP players with 5mil GP players. No problem. The 1mil GP players just need to “improve their roster”

    It really gets old to read all the lame excuses why everything BUT the matchmaking system is to blame.

    How's that relevant in an argument over mods?

    How is that relevant in a argument over GAC matchmaking?

    The post you and me are replying to riffs specifically on mods impact/lack of it on matchmaking. Not your absurd 1m to 5m hyperboles.

    His hyperboles are getting more and more absurd as we go

    Really? The only absurd thing here is your and No_Try’s defense of the current matchmaking system. All I did was follow through with your argument to show you how absurd it is. Guess you got it now.

    I didn't defend MM, no idea where you are getting that, perhaps it's your bias we must spew hatred or else we are defending it.
  • No_Try wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    Jack1210 wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    rickertron wrote: »
    Jack1210 wrote: »
    Dramgon wrote: »
    Dramgon wrote: »

    I'm going to join them, and put this crap in my rear view. Might as well place all my hardest teams on Defense, just to screw over my opponents.

    ...and screw over people that have nothing to do with it. Bravo, that's so mature of you. You must be great at parties.

    Yes, People hate me at parties too. That's why I don't get invited and I sit at home trying to win at SWGOH, but can't because I face people with faster, better teams because GAC doesn't match people evenly.

    If I'm placing half my best squads on defense, and using the other half on offense, and can't break through to the back territories against my opponents because they have a lot of faster MODS and better geared characters then where is the fun in GAC.

    Start slicing. I don't have the greatest mods, nothing over +20 speed but I have a ton in the teens and I really haven't invested that heavily in mod farming. I'll get slicing mats till I can slice a substantial amount, get rid of bad ones, farm more mods. Rinse, repeat. If you start dropping only 150 crystals into that cycle it will go quite quickly and soon you'll have plenty of solid mods to bridge the gap

    Great simple advice.

    All those “great” simple advices only to justify a broken matchmaking system?

    I already wrote multiple examples here why the matchmaking is not fair. @TVF and others:
    With your argument you can match 1mil GP players with 5mil GP players. No problem. The 1mil GP players just need to “improve their roster”

    It really gets old to read all the lame excuses why everything BUT the matchmaking system is to blame.

    How's that relevant in an argument over mods?

    How is that relevant in a argument over GAC matchmaking?

    The post you and me are replying to riffs specifically on mods impact/lack of it on matchmaking. Not your absurd 1m to 5m hyperboles.

    His hyperboles are getting more and more absurd as we go

    Really? The only absurd thing here is your and No_Try’s defense of the current matchmaking system. All I did was follow through with your argument to show you how absurd it is. Guess you got it now.

    I didn't defend MM, no idea where you are getting that, perhaps it's your bias we must spew hatred or else we are defending it.

    Ok. I’ll try to explain again:
    1) I am not asking for mirror matches. Even identical rosters would not lead to mirror matches in GAC because offense teams will face defence teams, not other offense teams. So that argument falls apart.
    2) The argument you and others make over and over is: If you get matched against a player that has more powerful toons than you it’s not the matching logic’s fault but yours, because you should have
    a) invested your resources (time/money) smarter
    b) farmed different toons, or
    c) a combination of a) and b)
    Problem is: This is a nonsense argument since you can make the exact same argument when matching 1m with 5m GP players. (granted 1m vs 5m is an exaggeration, but I tried to make my point very obvious)

    In an earlier post I already indicated ways to improve matchmaking, but unfortunately people profiting from the current system are of course saying: Everything works perfectly.
  • KyoO1234 wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    Jack1210 wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    rickertron wrote: »
    Jack1210 wrote: »
    Dramgon wrote: »
    Dramgon wrote: »

    I'm going to join them, and put this crap in my rear view. Might as well place all my hardest teams on Defense, just to screw over my opponents.

    ...and screw over people that have nothing to do with it. Bravo, that's so mature of you. You must be great at parties.

    Yes, People hate me at parties too. That's why I don't get invited and I sit at home trying to win at SWGOH, but can't because I face people with faster, better teams because GAC doesn't match people evenly.

    If I'm placing half my best squads on defense, and using the other half on offense, and can't break through to the back territories against my opponents because they have a lot of faster MODS and better geared characters then where is the fun in GAC.

    Start slicing. I don't have the greatest mods, nothing over +20 speed but I have a ton in the teens and I really haven't invested that heavily in mod farming. I'll get slicing mats till I can slice a substantial amount, get rid of bad ones, farm more mods. Rinse, repeat. If you start dropping only 150 crystals into that cycle it will go quite quickly and soon you'll have plenty of solid mods to bridge the gap

    Great simple advice.

    All those “great” simple advices only to justify a broken matchmaking system?

    I already wrote multiple examples here why the matchmaking is not fair. @TVF and others:
    With your argument you can match 1mil GP players with 5mil GP players. No problem. The 1mil GP players just need to “improve their roster”

    It really gets old to read all the lame excuses why everything BUT the matchmaking system is to blame.

    How's that relevant in an argument over mods?

    How is that relevant in a argument over GAC matchmaking?

    The post you and me are replying to riffs specifically on mods impact/lack of it on matchmaking. Not your absurd 1m to 5m hyperboles.

    His hyperboles are getting more and more absurd as we go

    Really? The only absurd thing here is your and No_Try’s defense of the current matchmaking system. All I did was follow through with your argument to show you how absurd it is. Guess you got it now.

    I didn't defend MM, no idea where you are getting that, perhaps it's your bias we must spew hatred or else we are defending it.

    Ok. I’ll try to explain again:
    1) I am not asking for mirror matches. Even identical rosters would not lead to mirror matches in GAC because offense teams will face defence teams, not other offense teams. So that argument falls apart.
    2) The argument you and others make over and over is: If you get matched against a player that has more powerful toons than you it’s not the matching logic’s fault but yours, because you should have
    a) invested your resources (time/money) smarter
    b) farmed different toons, or
    c) a combination of a) and b)
    Problem is: This is a nonsense argument since you can make the exact same argument when matching 1m with 5m GP players. (granted 1m vs 5m is an exaggeration, but I tried to make my point very obvious)

    In an earlier post I already indicated ways to improve matchmaking, but unfortunately people profiting from the current system are of course saying: Everything works perfectly.

    Once again no idea how you are attributing these things to me. My contribution as of late here was about mods. This system is not to my advantage whatsoever. At my gp, most has GAS, I don't. And that's how it should be, that's the reward of their investment. I don't think not having a meta is a fault(unless you are even skipping things at the 2nd run), but a disadvantage you have to put up with. That's one of the incentives to get/pay for these things.

    In case of mods you have to keep up with your competition, if you are ignoring your mods thinking there are better things to invest in, you are pushing your gp up without being ready for what it takes. i.e. at my gp 300-350 10+s became the norm. I gave the example how severely disadvantaged my opponent was against me with double the amount of g13s but merely 150 10+s, that's a super obvious telltale sign of his ignorance of mods and it has nothing to do with luck because it's not about a few super mods, rather about mods that carries all your teams.

    My qualm with matchmaking is that GP calculation itself being a suckfest and there being no weighting finesse to MM. It merely depends on a single bulk number that in itself is calculated quite abruptly. It can easily go beyond this weighting zetas, gear distributions, relic distributions within close proximity.
  • No_Try: I can agree with your last paragraph.

    And honestly I am getting tired of GAC. The opponents I get matched up with are behaving like bots. That is not my idea of a game. But that’s a topic for another time.

    I am last place (8) in my current GAC.

    Probably my last GAC. The rewards are lame anyway.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    The opponents I get matched up with are behaving like bots. That is not my idea of a game.

    What does that mean?
  • TVF
    30948 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    The opponents I get matched up with are behaving like bots. That is not my idea of a game.

    What does that mean?

    Maybe he's spending too much time on the TotallyNotRobots discord.
    The CGDF is no more. Now we hate CG because of conquest. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I am wondering when the anti-cheat mechnism is going to be released? It is okay to lose to great players, but it is frustrating to lose when there is obvious cheating going on, and CG gets flooded with cheating reports of both legitimate complaints and salty loser types.
  • sloweagle wrote: »
    I am wondering when the anti-cheat mechnism is going to be released? It is okay to lose to great players, but it is frustrating to lose when there is obvious cheating going on, and CG gets flooded with cheating reports of both legitimate complaints and salty loser types.

    Spamming report button for arch rivals or those on a blacklist is a favorite pastime of some guilds and shard chats.

    Plus there is no downside to just reporting the same handful of people over and over until they get a ban.

    I guess everything will be misused, right is wrong and wrong is right in the end only your perspective is important to yourself.
  • Is there going to be a hotfix to address mod lock confusion? I just accidentally hit join again when my mods weren't ready. I don't know why. I don't know how, but I did, and not being able to undo on GD button press is absolutely ridiculous. Ridiculous even more so when updates are rolling out just to fix bugs with feats.
  • Grand Arena was my favorite game mode for a while, and it reignited some of the interest my girlfriend and I had for this game. We used to have fun talking over our rosters vs our opponents and try our best to win.

    Now? I dunno. It just doesn’t seem very worth my time or effort. These days, I’ll still place defense, but honestly I won’t bother playing if it looks like a difficult match. I don’t have Malak or even Darth Revan, so seeing someone with a relic Malak is an automatic pass from me.

    The rewards just feel... worthless. The GAC shop is wildly overpriced for how scarce the currency is, such that I don’t feel much of a difference between my rewards now, and my rewards when I actually tried and placed higher. Why isn’t it a noticeable difference? Because it’s worth jack either way. I can do the bare minimum and earn 8 kyrotech pieces over 3 days of gameplay, or I can play my heart out and attempt every feat for... maybe like 12? Nice.
  • Once you hit join your toons are locked right? I accidentally joined.... I cant unjoin right? Also, i experienced a bug in ships battle during ga I would like to report
  • Uriakatos wrote: »
    Once you hit join your toons are locked right? I accidentally joined.... I cant unjoin right? Also, i experienced a bug in ships battle during ga I would like to report

    Yup. They likely did this to make it easier on their weak servers
  • smootly wrote: »
    Is there going to be a hotfix to address mod lock confusion? I just accidentally hit join again when my mods weren't ready. I don't know why. I don't know how, but I did, and not being able to undo on GD button press is absolutely ridiculous. Ridiculous even more so when updates are rolling out just to fix bugs with feats.

    I 100% agree. Absolutely ridiculous that you can’t Exit and relock like TW! Now I am screwed for a week because I accidentally pressed the button out of reflex before my mods were set
  • Can one of the developers help me, or please answer why we have a player lock for Grand Arena that screws you if you accidentally join? Then when you contact EA support the tech says they can't help you because Grand Arena uses real currency. I accidentally joined and now am locked with missing mods, and they are telling me they can't help me because it uses real currency. They really need to add a button to unjoin Grand Arena.
  • I think the gac points are Not fixed. Division 4 rank 1 got 13.000+ points. After the first run of gac this isnt possible.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Vaco wrote: »
    I think the gac points are Not fixed. Division 4 rank 1 got 13.000+ points. After the first run of gac this isnt possible.

    Same everytime. Some people got a -bye-.
  • The championship rankings of the 8 players in my group are 1240, 2155, 2469, 8823, 29710, 33090, 35441, and 41156. I am wondering why these ranking values are apparently not used at all in setting up the groups.
  • Ultra
    8251 posts Moderator
    nottenst wrote: »
    The championship rankings of the 8 players in my group are 1240, 2155, 2469, 8823, 29710, 33090, 35441, and 41156. I am wondering why these ranking values are apparently not used at all in setting up the groups.
    Because it is not a good indicator to use
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    nottenst wrote: »
    The championship rankings of the 8 players in my group are 1240, 2155, 2469, 8823, 29710, 33090, 35441, and 41156. I am wondering why these ranking values are apparently not used at all in setting up the groups.
    Because it is not a good indicator to use

    Why not, isn't it a much better indicator than the leagues?
  • Ultra wrote: »
    nottenst wrote: »
    The championship rankings of the 8 players in my group are 1240, 2155, 2469, 8823, 29710, 33090, 35441, and 41156. I am wondering why these ranking values are apparently not used at all in setting up the groups.
    Because it is not a good indicator to use

    To be honest, I feel like this is a great indicator. Not perfect, but it helps to identify "good" and "bad" players. Matching a 40k player against a 4k player doesn't make a lot of sense. The 4k player will be someone that's either super weak, or doesn't care about the mode. So there's like a 99% chance it's going to be one-sided. If you match players of similar score, it's likely that they will have similar-ish rosters as they have similar results. It should not be the main factor of matchmaking; but trying to match players with other players close to their score is a good first step to a fair matchmaking imo.
  • Jack1210 wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    No wonder this game is dying.

    In the past we always had new people asking to join our guild, but now more and more people quit because of this FCE and no new players show up.

    @CG if you want to keep this game alive just throwing us new whale content is not good enough. It’s a gross miscalculation on your side.

    Dude just because you've geared up toons that aren't as good does not mean matchmaking is bad. Get the good teams for christs sake. Who are your top 20 characters?
    These meta and admittedly OP teams are a hard/slow farm, therefore they should be very strong.

    Genius
  • Ultra wrote: »
    nottenst wrote: »
    The championship rankings of the 8 players in my group are 1240, 2155, 2469, 8823, 29710, 33090, 35441, and 41156. I am wondering why these ranking values are apparently not used at all in setting up the groups.
    Because it is not a good indicator to use

    To be honest, I feel like this is a great indicator. Not perfect, but it helps to identify "good" and "bad" players. Matching a 40k player against a 4k player doesn't make a lot of sense. The 4k player will be someone that's either super weak, or doesn't care about the mode. So there's like a 99% chance it's going to be one-sided. If you match players of similar score, it's likely that they will have similar-ish rosters as they have similar results. It should not be the main factor of matchmaking; but trying to match players with other players close to their score is a good first step to a fair matchmaking imo.

    Only problem with that is that you could sandbag for a bit, and then get matched with players far below you skill level from then on. Also someone who wins a lot but typically goes very heavy on defense will accrue banners slower than someone with a more offensive tactic. Meaning defensive strategy would eventually place you against people with worse rosters but different strategies.
  • The matchmaking sucks because the divisions are too large. I went into my last GA round overmatched by GP 492000(13%). The only way I could have won is if I had been perfect or lucky, preferably both.
  • MolVinn wrote: »
    The matchmaking sucks because the divisions are too large. I went into my last GA round overmatched by GP 492000(13%). The only way I could have won is if I had been perfect or lucky, preferably both.

    Exactly!!! GP difference for me was over 10% as well. And that plus in GP was three teams of relic meta toons.

    10% is HUGE in that context.

    1) GP is just a flawed, lazy, stupid way to match.
    2) Especially with relics now meta toons and their gear/relic level need to provide considered.
  • TVF
    30948 posts Member
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    MolVinn wrote: »
    The matchmaking sucks because the divisions are too large. I went into my last GA round overmatched by GP 492000(13%). The only way I could have won is if I had been perfect or lucky, preferably both.

    Exactly!!! GP difference for me was over 10% as well. And that plus in GP was three teams of relic meta toons.

    10% is HUGE in that context.

    1) GP is just a flawed, lazy, stupid way to match.
    2) Especially with relics now meta toons and their gear/relic level need to provide considered.

    MM is no longer based on total GP.
    The CGDF is no more. Now we hate CG because of conquest. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    MolVinn wrote: »
    The matchmaking sucks because the divisions are too large. I went into my last GA round overmatched by GP 492000(13%). The only way I could have won is if I had been perfect or lucky, preferably both.

    Exactly!!! GP difference for me was over 10% as well. And that plus in GP was three teams of relic meta toons.

    10% is HUGE in that context.

    1) GP is just a flawed, lazy, stupid way to match.
    2) Especially with relics now meta toons and their gear/relic level need to provide considered.

    MM is no longer based on total GP.

    What is it based on?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    MolVinn wrote: »
    The matchmaking sucks because the divisions are too large. I went into my last GA round overmatched by GP 492000(13%). The only way I could have won is if I had been perfect or lucky, preferably both.

    Exactly!!! GP difference for me was over 10% as well. And that plus in GP was three teams of relic meta toons.

    10% is HUGE in that context.

    1) GP is just a flawed, lazy, stupid way to match.
    2) Especially with relics now meta toons and their gear/relic level need to provide considered.

    MM is no longer based on total GP.

    What is it based on?

    Top X gp where X is no of your defense slots*10. i.e. it's top 80 gp for div 1-2.
  • No_Try wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    MolVinn wrote: »
    The matchmaking sucks because the divisions are too large. I went into my last GA round overmatched by GP 492000(13%). The only way I could have won is if I had been perfect or lucky, preferably both.

    Exactly!!! GP difference for me was over 10% as well. And that plus in GP was three teams of relic meta toons.

    10% is HUGE in that context.

    1) GP is just a flawed, lazy, stupid way to match.
    2) Especially with relics now meta toons and their gear/relic level need to provide considered.

    MM is no longer based on total GP.

    What is it based on?

    Top X gp where X is no of your defense slots*10. i.e. it's top 80 gp for div 1-2.

    Thanks. However this still doesn’t address the issue. A 7-star G12 Malak has ~23k GP, a 7-star G12 IG-88 has ~21k GP.
    Going just by GP (top x or not) there difference is 10% , but the actual impact is HUGE!
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    MolVinn wrote: »
    The matchmaking sucks because the divisions are too large. I went into my last GA round overmatched by GP 492000(13%). The only way I could have won is if I had been perfect or lucky, preferably both.

    Exactly!!! GP difference for me was over 10% as well. And that plus in GP was three teams of relic meta toons.

    10% is HUGE in that context.

    1) GP is just a flawed, lazy, stupid way to match.
    2) Especially with relics now meta toons and their gear/relic level need to provide considered.

    MM is no longer based on total GP.

    What is it based on?

    Top X gp where X is no of your defense slots*10. i.e. it's top 80 gp for div 1-2.

    Thanks. However this still doesn’t address the issue. A 7-star G12 Malak has ~23k GP, a 7-star G12 IG-88 has ~21k GP.
    Going just by GP (top x or not) there difference is 10% , but the actual impact is HUGE!

    It's much less impactful than when they were matchmaking based on total gp. While not sufficient for many reasons, it's an improvement over pure gp mm.

    Meta emphasized matchmaking, good luck with that. CG came right out and said they are not considering it a few q/a's ago.
Sign In or Register to comment.