Do I need Phoenix for ships?

I have the falcon at 5* and will 7* next time.

Do I need to have the Phoenix ships in my line-up to have a meta ships arena team?

I’m asking as the Phoenix squad are an absolute gear sink and aren’t really that useful elsewhere these days.

Do I need ghost and phantom? Neither? Or one of?

Current line up: Akbar (L), hound, falcon, Biggs replacements: wedge, Vader, Anakin, Cassian.

Replies

• DT_Jango
    125 posts Member
    Options
    https://swgoh.gg/stats/fleet-meta-report/
    Here is a resource for you. They are still a part of the current meta frequently used as reinforcements.
  • Options
    DT_Jango wrote: »
    https://swgoh.gg/stats/fleet-meta-report/
    Here is a resource for you. They are still a part of the current meta frequently used as reinforcements.

Awesome thanks
  • Options
    They are also required for Chimera
  • Options
    Best Line up : MFalcon, Hound's Tooth, Biggs, First call Phantom II, Ghost and finall Bistan.

So yes, farm them ;) My pheonix are not high as **** but with decent gear, they are still very effective in ship arena...
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, the absolute best fleet includes Phoenix.

As for the rest of the game... they aren't meta, but I think they're a very good investment. Besides ships you need them for Thrawn, so you're going to have them partly geared anyhow. In the age of dead GP screwing you in Grand Arena I don't like putting anything into characters that I won't take to g12, and put in a solid team.

They are also VERY good even though they aren't meta. People underestimate them because they aren't elite, or because they regularly face half geared, poorly modded versions. I'm in a situation where due to my GP I need 7 defense teams in 5v5 GA. Add 7 more offense teams, and a couple of emergency cleanup teams, and that means 16 good teams. They are DEFINITELY top 16 at least. lol

In my most recent GA I was 2-0 going into the last round. My opponent and I both had Darth Revan and Malak, and all the other high end teams. We both cleared each others boards perfectly... except he failed against my Phoenix. I have a small number of strategic g12 pieces on them, plus Zetas on Kanan and Sabine, and solid mods (good sets with 6-12 speed per mod). After we both hacked through our harder teams that is the kind of team that will trip someone up, or require that they burn something decent to take it out. They single handedly have won several GA rounds for me when we've both planned for each other's top teams, and it becomes a test of how deep our roster strength goes. I'm VERY happy I took them to g12.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    I used them both in my fleet long before Falcon came out. I've always thought they were two of the best ships in the game. Phantoms reinforce will always be useful.
  • Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Yes, the absolute best fleet includes Phoenix.

As for the rest of the game... they aren't meta, but I think they're a very good investment. Besides ships you need them for Thrawn, so you're going to have them partly geared anyhow. In the age of dead GP screwing you in Grand Arena I don't like putting anything into characters that I won't take to g12, and put in a solid team.

They are also VERY good even though they aren't meta. People underestimate them because they aren't elite, or because they regularly face half geared, poorly modded versions. I'm in a situation where due to my GP I need 7 defense teams in 5v5 GA. Add 7 more offense teams, and a couple of emergency cleanup teams, and that means 16 good teams. They are DEFINITELY top 16 at least. lol

In my most recent GA I was 2-0 going into the last round. My opponent and I both had Darth Revan and Malak, and all the other high end teams. We both cleared each others boards perfectly... except he failed against my Phoenix. I have a small number of strategic g12 pieces on them, plus Zetas on Kanan and Sabine, and solid mods (good sets with 6-12 speed per mod). After we both hacked through our harder teams that is the kind of team that will trip someone up, or require that they burn something decent to take it out. They single handedly have won several GA rounds for me when we've both planned for each other's top teams, and it becomes a test of how deep our roster strength goes. I'm VERY happy I took them to g12.

Interesting thanks. So maybe they are worth the gear.

I’m stuck at g8 with 5 stun guns to progress 3 of them to g9 😭
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    You definitely want Phantom at least. Ghost is great also but Phantom letting you reinforce two turns in a row is bananas. I'm in the process of getting Chopper and Sabine to G11 to max out its abilities, even though my Phoenix guys are poorly modded and only get used for the TB mission and as a "filler" team in GA.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    I take #1 in fleet regularly, with Ghost and Phantom in my reinforcements. I would say that the are definitely fleet meta.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The main problem is that the Phoenix team is countered by a single toon, so it's hard to invest gear in them knowing that.

--fixed typo
    Post edited by Dar_Penthar on
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    You don't need them maxed out to get #1 but maxing them out makes your defense a beast

I'd hold off from gearing them if fleet is your only reason since they just hinted another capital ship so the fleet meta might change / have an alternate meta team which might require toons that are more useful in squad arena and other game modes
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    I'm at 3.5M GP and had people stumble on my g10 phoenix team more than once. People tend to save them for last and if you have good mods on them with a super fast chopper who dodges a few times they can suprise.

I have also heard they can Auto Carth teams on O, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    I'm at 3.5M GP and had people stumble on my g10 phoenix team more than once.

I had the same happen around 2.9m with a g9 Phoenix team. Sometimes with my absolutely pitiful g7 Sabine instead of Ezra, even, since I sometimes save him for offense with Jedi. I'm around 3.3 now and they haven't put up a W recently, but I still use them on defense since I know they can still force an opponent to use up a solid character or two.

Eventually I'll probably take them all to g11 for fleet reasons, though i dunno if I could justify ever spending zetas on them.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    Options
    The main problem is that the Phoenix team in countered by a single toon, so it's hard to invest gear in them knowing that.

keep them for offense...
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Options
    Max power phoenix are also alternates to hAAT and Sith raid phase 2s
  • EdSolo
    412 posts Member
    Options
    I agree they are a gear sink, but I can still hit top 50 without any of them at g12, I even still have Sabine at g8. I use them both as reinforcements, with Cassian and KRU as my last since I don't have Young Lando or L3 geared too much. Lando Falcon is a good fourth if maxed out since you get all the extra turns. Bistan is better in the initial line up of three than as a reinforcement. I generally call Phantom then Cassian, unless I haven't gotten rid of the first taunt from HT. Usually taunts are gone or will be with the Cassian reinforcement so you can take out Han's Falcon.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Jarvind wrote: »

I had the same happen around 2.9m with a g9 Phoenix team. Sometimes with my absolutely pitiful g7 Sabine instead of Ezra, even, since I sometimes save him for offense with Jedi. I'm around 3.3 now and they haven't put up a W recently, but I still use them on defense since I know they can still force an opponent to use up a solid character or two.

Eventually I'll probably take them all to g11 for fleet reasons, though i dunno if I could justify ever spending zetas on them.

My Hera is g11 now. Everyone else is g9 or 10. I use them in fleet and can take #1 muliple times a week. My Cassian is g8.5. Reinforcements dont have to be max gear.
  • Options
    Max power phoenix are also alternates to hAAT and Sith raid phase 2s

True but there are much better better options. A Jedi Knight Revan team can hit much harder and are ironically easier to gear.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    The Phantom is one of the best ships in the game due to its reinforcement ability. You definitely should get it.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Spharynx01 wrote: »
    Best Line up : MFalcon, Hound's Tooth, Biggs, First call Phantom II, Ghost and finall Bistan.

So yes, farm them ;) My pheonix are not high as **** but with decent gear, they are still very effective in ship arena...

What's your win rate?

Cassian makes it essentially 100% (save a once-a-month dodge fest or something else screwy) so I find it hard to believe the best lineup doesn't include it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Spharynx01 wrote: »

What's your win rate?

Cassian makes it essentially 100% (save a once-a-month dodge fest or something else screwy) so I find it hard to believe the best lineup doesn't include it.

You don't need a lineup outside of Bistan HMF Biggs and cassian off the bench.....
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Jarvind wrote: »

My Hera is g11 now. Everyone else is g9 or 10. I use them in fleet and can take #1 muliple times a week. My Cassian is g8.5. Reinforcements dont have to be max gear.

Oh totally. I took Cassian to g11 to max out his ship ability (guaranteed crit on both attacks) but Jyn is g10 and K2 is like, g8.

I did notice that after I took Ezra to g11, though, Phantom's 2nd special can now hit hard enough to damage Hounds Tooth past its Prot Up, and sometimes its basic can too. So I figured I'd beef it up a bit more. Plus getting Chopper to g11 adds Speed Up to the buffs it can give itself, and more speed is always good.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Phantom was totally worth gearing the pilots the minute Ships 2.0 dropped.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    Options
    Phoenixes ships are essential for current rebel fleet meta. You just can’t pass them
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Vinniarth wrote: »
    Phoenixes ships are essential for current rebel fleet meta. You just can’t pass them
    They are useful but not essential for the meta which is HT, Mill.F, Biggs/Bistan, RI Cassian.
  • Options
    Who do you bench with phoenix?
    I took the less usual path of farming Sabine early, she was also my first zeta - back in the 150 GW days.
    Chopper is my least developed, but Ezra has been seconded to jedi. At some point Ezra will make way for GK or Hoda, as yet I have neither; again leaving me the question of who to bench
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Who do you bench with phoenix?
    I took the less usual path of farming Sabine early, she was also my first zeta - back in the 150 GW days.
    Chopper is my least developed, but Ezra has been seconded to jedi. At some point Ezra will make way for GK or Hoda, as yet I have neither; again leaving me the question of who to bench

Probably Chopper and use him with droids. But if you are using them on D maybe bench Ezra. If Chopper is fast he can cause problems for people especially if you have Sabine and Kanan zetaed.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Chopper can go to droids as VonZant said. Ezra or Sabine can drop in to any other Rebel squad. Even Kanan and Zeb can fit in other teams. Only Hera really loses her purpose outside of Pboenix squad.
  • Options
    I drop Ezra and use him with Ackbar (L), Hoda, YOLO and QGJ for a surprisingly effective offensive team.