Is it worth it to go past 100% potency?

Ok, I need this settled--how does it work when potency and tenacity stats go above 100%? I know that 100% potency is supposed to make you land the debuff every time, except that there's an irreducible 15% chance of it being resisted (even if the enemy has 0% tenacity, there's always a 15% chance of resist). And 100% tenacity is supposed to make it impossible to be debuffed (except, again, I think there's a 15% chance?). But as if that isn't complicated enough...
What happens when the stats are over 100%? Say I have 150% potency and my enemy has 110% tenacity? Do I have an 15%(100-85) chance to apply the debuff, or do I have a 40%(150-110) chance, or is it something else?
Can someone please break down, in detail, how the math works out when the values are over 100%? Because I want to know if it's worth it to mod a toon past 100% potency. Do I just get my debuffers to 100% and call it a day? Or do I need to mod to say 200%, so that I can still debuff toons with 100% tenacity?
This is all very confusing, and I'd appreciate a breakdown, thanks. :)
"Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Ok, I need this settled--how does it work when potency and tenacity stats go above 100%? I know that 100% potency is supposed to make you land the debuff every time, except that there's an irreducible 15% chance of it being resisted (even if the enemy has 0% tenacity, there's always a 15% chance of resist). And 100% tenacity is supposed to make it impossible to be debuffed (except, again, I think there's a 15% chance?).

That's not correct. What matters is the difference between the potency of the source of the debuff and the tenacity og the target. 100% guarantees nothing.

There's a 15% base minimum chance to resist, but no base chance for the debuff to stick.
  • Fixer
    150 posts Member
    Options
    Got me intrigued, so it's worth it for the enemies that bulk up their tenacity and keeping it at 15% chance to fail? Also I guess that would mean (if possible) 185% max potency to bother for anyone that has (if possible) 200% tenacity
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    Options
    First check -》
    Probability to get the debuff going:
    Depends on attackers ability. Will multiply second check

Second check -》
    Probability to not get debuffed:

2% from evasion [0.02]
    +
    98%*15% minimum resist [0.98*0.15]
    =
    16.7% (a bit more than 1 out of 6)

If cannot be evaded, then 15%
    If cannot be resisted, then 2%
    If target is immune, then 100%

Tenacity - Potency can get the minimum 15% higher

Conclusions:
    Mean tenacity before mods of g12+5 is 39.45% and mean potency is 38.24% which means they almost nullify each other (not counting bonuses from abilities).

So for the average attacker against the average defender, more than +115% is ost probably going to be wasted.

Notes:
    Attack (damage) and debuff have separate evasion tests. Easiest example to see it is with a team of C-3PO and 4 ewoks. The basic attack of ewok misses but the expose goes through.
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • kieltrx
    129 posts Member
    Options
    Juzz wrote: »
    First check -》
    Probability to get the debuff going:
    Depends on attackers ability. Will multiply second check

Second check -》
    Probability to not get debuffed:

2% from evasion [0.02]
    +
    98%*15% minimum resist [0.98*0.15]
    =
    16.7% (a bit more than 1 out of 6)

If cannot be evaded, then 15%
    If cannot be resisted, then 2%
    If target is immune, then 100%

Tenacity - Potency can get the minimum 15% higher

Conclusions:
    Mean tenacity before mods of g12+5 is 39.45% and mean potency is 38.24% which means they almost nullify each other (not counting bonuses from abilities).

So for the average attacker against the average defender, more than +115% is ost probably going to be wasted.

Notes:
    Attack (damage) and debuff have separate evasion tests. Easiest example to see it is with a team of C-3PO and 4 ewoks. The basic attack of ewok misses but the expose goes through.

I didn't understand anything.. did you even take the OP's stats into this math?
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Potency and Tenacity cancel each other out. So if you have 200% Potency and your opponent 150% Tenacity you have a 100% chance of landing the debuff. Additional there is a 15% chance that the debuff will fail, regardless of stat values. These 15% can't be negated in any way so even with a 100% chance in math it can miss, that's the RNG factor.

Edit: math correction
    Post edited by Kisakee on
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • kieltrx
    129 posts Member
    Options
    So after the potency-tenacity calculation, if the result is landing a debuff, there is still one more check for this 15% of resisting debuff, right?
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    kieltrx wrote: »
    So after the potency-tenacity calculation, if the result is landing a debuff, there is still one more check for this 15% of resisting debuff, right?

That is how i understand it.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Ok, I need this settled--how does it work when potency and tenacity stats go above 100%? I know that 100% potency is supposed to make you land the debuff every time, except that there's an irreducible 15% chance of it being resisted (even if the enemy has 0% tenacity, there's always a 15% chance of resist). And 100% tenacity is supposed to make it impossible to be debuffed (except, again, I think there's a 15% chance?). But as if that isn't complicated enough...
    What happens when the stats are over 100%? Say I have 150% potency and my enemy has 110% tenacity? Do I have an 15%(100-85) chance to apply the debuff, or do I have a 40%(150-110) chance, or is it something else?
    Can someone please break down, in detail, how the math works out when the values are over 100%? Because I want to know if it's worth it to mod a toon past 100% potency. Do I just get my debuffers to 100% and call it a day? Or do I need to mod to say 200%, so that I can still debuff toons with 100% tenacity?
    This is all very confusing, and I'd appreciate a breakdown, thanks. :)

potency is just a way to mitigate the effect of tenacity. Tenacity is there to decrease the chance of getting debuffed.
    So basically potency does NOT increase the chance to debuff, it just decreases the chance you'll be resisted. If there's no tenacity that increases the chances of being resisted, potency does nothing. There's no difference in the chance to debuff between 0% potency and 200% potency, unless there's tenacity to be countered.
    Hopefully that makes sense and hopefully the formula used makes more sense once you're looking at it that way.
    tenacity (increases the chance to resist) - potency (mitigates the effect of tenacity) = chance to resist
    There's always a 15% base minimum chance to resist a debuff, but there's no base minimum chance to debuff.
    It doesn't matter if the toons have 1010% vs 1050% or 10% vs 50%, the chance to debuff/resist remains the same.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    potency is just a way to mitigate the effect of tenacity. Tenacity is there to decrease the chance of getting debuffed.
    So basically potency does NOT increase the chance to debuff, it just decreases the chance you'll be resisted. If there's no tenacity that increases the chances of being resisted, potency does nothing. There's no difference in the chance to debuff between 0% potency and 200% potency, unless there's tenacity to be countered.
    Hopefully that makes sense and hopefully the formula used makes more sense once you're looking at it that way.
    tenacity (increases the chance to resist) - potency (mitigates the effect of tenacity) = chance to resist
    There's always a 15% base minimum chance to resist a debuff, but there's no base minimum chance to debuff.
    It doesn't matter if the toons have 1010% vs 1050% or 10% vs 50%, the chance to debuff/resist remains the same.

Ah man, you're right. Got that twisted in my mind. So it's like that:
    If your Potency cancel out the enemies Tenacity, the debuff will get through with a 100% - the 15% of resisting it by default.
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Mephisto_style
    5724 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Is it worth stacking them? Absolutely. It's still more important to be faster than that team though. A combination of some potency and offense is what makes my CLS team usuable. Check out the screenshots. I am imposing my crowd control debuffs all the time against this team with my CLS team. People say all the time that damage output is what makes it formidable, but without those potent debuffs the team can't win.
    9eq5ahjx9qw5.png
    tx8nhld1ouyj.png
    3jqyxlyxpi53.png
    u7urdloah7ex.png
    2c5d33ldpzx6.png
    gjczvrz8jyvh.png
    5oufhppur751.png
    eivp15s1wu5g.png
    soo42vzi69i5.png

Post edited by Mephisto_style on
  • Options
    Is it worth stacking them? Absolutely. It's still more important to be faster than that team though. A combination of some potency and offense is what makes my CLS team usuable. Check out the screenshots. I am imposing my crowd control debuffs all the time against this team with my CLS team. People say all the time that damage output is what makes it formidable, but without those potent debuffs the team can't win.
    9eq5ahjx9qw5.png
    tx8nhld1ouyj.png
    3jqyxlyxpi53.png
    u7urdloah7ex.png
    2c5d33ldpzx6.png
    gjczvrz8jyvh.png
    5oufhppur751.png
    eivp15s1wu5g.png
    soo42vzi69i5.png

9eq5ahjx9qw5.png
    tx8nhld1ouyj.png
    3jqyxlyxpi53.png
    u7urdloah7ex.png
    2c5d33ldpzx6.png
    gjczvrz8jyvh.png
    5oufhppur751.png
    eivp15s1wu5g.png
    soo42vzi69i5.png

9eq5ahjx9qw5.png
    tx8nhld1ouyj.png
    3jqyxlyxpi53.png
    u7urdloah7ex.png
    2c5d33ldpzx6.png
    gjczvrz8jyvh.png
    5oufhppur751.png
    eivp15s1wu5g.png
    soo42vzi69i5.png

Put more speed, offense and Crit damage on han and chewie and kill bastila first.. you won’t get any of those nasty debuffs on your squad
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    ^ 7/10
    all points earned by quoting a comment with a gazillion images 3 times in 1 response without removing the images. That's some advanced forumming right there. Scroll you peasants!
  • Options
    @leef @FistyCuffs
    For.all the mods.I have available.to me I believe I have them modded perfectly
    My shortcoming is gear levels.
  • Banmeong
    129 posts Member
    Options
    Excuse me, my Nest tenacity is 126% and enemy Logray potency is 80%. Logray several times dazed my Nest. Is it because the 15% chance to land debuffs? Sorry bad english I am Indonesian..
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for trying to explain it to me, I think I get it now... Though tbh I'm not sure everyone answered the same thing. :D
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Banmeong wrote: »
    Excuse me, my Nest tenacity is 126% and enemy Logray potency is 80%. Logray several times dazed my Nest. Is it because the 15% chance to land debuffs? Sorry bad english I am Indonesian..

126% tenacity nest - 80% potency logray = 46% chance to resist (54% chance for the debuff to land)
    There isn't a minimum chance to land a debuff. If you've got 100% more tenacity than the attack has potency you'll resist everything with the exception of unresistable debuffs.