Imperial Probe Droid

2Next

Replies

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    So we have to give up g13 for IPD. Cool. Cool cool.
    "Have to" and "can choose to" are two different things.

People complain that playing Geonosis TB instead of Hoth TB costs you IPD/ROLO shards. If Liath is correct, then you can use the special reward that comes from running Geonosis TB instead of Hoth TB to get IPD/ROLO shards if you so choose.

This cycle has been the most anybody has cared about ROLO and IPD in a hot minute. They're fairly mediocre units. (Which is not to say bad. Just mediocre. In IPD's case, primarily for want of a home.)

Yes, there is an opportunity cost at play. If you want Gamorrean Guard at seven stars, it comes at the cost of, like, 500 carbantis worth of guild tokens, so most people don't bother. But the choice is there, if you want to collect these nonessential units who don't get you much.

Exactly. Nothing has been taken away. You were simply given another option. If you like how it was, keep doing what you were doing. If the new choice is better for you, go for it. No one is being forced to do anything.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    So we have to give up g13 for IPD. Cool. Cool cool.
    "Have to" and "can choose to" are two different things.

People complain that playing Geonosis TB instead of Hoth TB costs you IPD/ROLO shards. If Liath is correct, then you can use the special reward that comes from running Geonosis TB instead of Hoth TB to get IPD/ROLO shards if you so choose.

This cycle has been the most anybody has cared about ROLO and IPD in a hot minute. They're fairly mediocre units. (Which is not to say bad. Just mediocre. In IPD's case, primarily for want of a home.)

Yes, there is an opportunity cost at play. If you want Gamorrean Guard at seven stars, it comes at the cost of, like, 500 carbantis worth of guild tokens, so most people don't bother. But the choice is there, if you want to collect these nonessential units who don't get you much.

It has more to do with the fact that many of the top players or those further along in the development cycle had ample opportunity to essentially be “given” these units at little to no additional cost. Now, simply by nature of being a newer player or further behind on the development curve, one has to pay extra/more or sacrifice additional resources to have that same opportunity. It’s like pulling the ladder up after you used it to climb. The “haves” tend to undervalue the support they had in gaining an advantage. Everyone that has IPD maxed was able to do so without any extra cost outside of that which would have been invested towards maxing Hoth DSTB rewards anyways. Now, maxing IPD requires some other non-zero sacrifice of resources that wasn’t required before. It feels like being punished for being a new or slow developing player.

My opinion, fwiw, is that in order to create and *maintain* a thriving game community the barrier to entry/early advancement should lessen over time, or at least not get harder than it was. That’s clearly not the case here.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    It has more to do with the fact that many of the top players or those further along in the development cycle had ample opportunity to essentially be “given” these units at little to no additional cost. Now, simply by nature of being a newer player or further behind on the development curve, one has to pay extra/more or sacrifice additional resources to have that same opportunity. It’s like pulling the ladder up after you used it to climb. The “haves” tend to undervalue the support they had in gaining an advantage. Everyone that has IPD maxed was able to do so without any extra cost outside of that which would have been invested towards maxing Hoth DSTB rewards anyways. Now, maxing IPD requires some other non-zero sacrifice of resources that wasn’t required before. It feels like being punished for being a new or slow developing player.

My opinion, fwiw, is that in order to create and *maintain* a thriving game community the barrier to entry/early advancement should lessen over time, or at least not get harder than it was. That’s clearly not the case here.
    First?

Older players were not "given" IPD and ROLO. They worked toward it. The put in the time and energy. They got it. But neither is particularly relevant. People are not focused on them because of some injustice or haves/have nots disparity.

Time is a currency in this game. Spend more time, get more stuff. Yes, established players will have more overall stuff. At the same time, all forms of competition in this game are instanced by start time or power. A one year player is not in direct competition with a launch player.

Income goes up and impact of individual investments goes up over time as well. You say older players forget the help we got along the way. I say you forget how exclusive a lot of this content was back in the day.

All of the event units were a bear at launch. Even the Yoda and Palpatine events were grueling in their day, but now they're literally trivial and almost impossible to not sweep. The phase 2 legendaries were all challenging in their own right in their time, but the only one that routinely gives new players real difficulty once they meet the star requirements right now is Thrawn. Maybe CLS. The Finn rework made JTR much easier. The Vader/Palp rework trivialized the R2 event. BB-8 used to be a bear because when it launched, there were five First Order units. Phasma was the only lead and she's mediocre at best, and FOST was a required farm. With the introduction of KRUM, a much better lead who lets you forgo hard node farms entirely, the event became almost trivial.

And many of the old investments, while not bad now, have lost a lot of their value. When I joined, Wiggs/Chaze +Lando was one of the premier teams in the game, and all were considered must-have units. Now, for new players, you can skip all of them but Biggs and miss little that can't be replaced by other means. Wedge's ship is the first to be booted from a Rebel fleet and he's just an okay spare leader, which you can get anywhere. Baze is good, but not the juggernaut he once was. Lando is irrelevant because Qi'ra or the reworked hunters get your heist team going much faster and as a general purpose unit his AoE is not nearly so impressive as it once was. Especially with the proliferation of counter attacks. And Chirrut while a good but replaceable general purpose unit has mainly been reduced to a stopgap member of Chex mix until you get Chewie.

You don't have to go through old content in chronological order by release. You can skip a lot of stuff that the older players spent time on in order to get into higher-end content more quickly than we did.

Likewise, the barrier to entry continuously fell on hSith has gone down a lot. When it launched, it was the literal less than one percent who could take it on. From there, people worked toward myriad complicated combinations of teams just to scrape together their 2% per phase and carry their weight.

Now? JTR, the prerequisites for her event, R2 to deal 4% damage to P1 or P2. JKR, the prerequisites for their event, GMY, and one random body to deal 4% to P2 or P3. If you have those two teams, you can carry your weight in an hSith guild. The barrier of entry has gone down.

Now, we're facing a big new hurdle in Geonosis TB, which will be a big deal that only the 1% can fare well in at first, and then the barrier to entry will lower as it always does. The new players are and will continue to be fine.
    Still not a he.
  • Long story short: don't worry about it, you don't need IPD.
    I like that there is passion on display here for IPD and ROLO. Kudos to those who want them. But they really aren't worth raising a stink about. Neither are really that good.
    Of the two, IPD was the most useful but not anymore. IPD's strength was the massive damage it could do to guarantee wiping out an enemy unit. New characters regularly exceed IPD's damage output, so it's utility is greatly diminished.
    I foolishly hoped that Jedi Knight Luke would eventually make it into the game and so geared ROLO to g12 in preparation, but then I remembered that JKL is the eternal golden carrot and will never be released. ROLO isn't even that good vs. Empire squads, and her kit was built for that.
    So don't sweat it. The only place you can really effectively use these characters is in GW.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Long story short: don't worry about it, you don't need IPD.
    I like that there is passion on display here for IPD and ROLO. Kudos to those who want them. But they really aren't worth raising a stink about. Neither are really that good.

I'm gonna guess roughly 92.7% of the people (maybe higher) who are complaining are just mad because something was "taken away from them" and it's not actually about the specific thing that was taken away.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

I'm gonna guess roughly 92.7% of the people (maybe higher) who are complaining are just mad because something was "taken away from them" and it's not actually about the specific thing that was taken away.

This. If they made CUP unfarmable, people would probably complain too.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Not to mention that it's unfounded anger because the devs have already stated IPD and ROLO will be added to the GE store once geoTB starts. So if they really really want one of these tier 3 heroes they can still get them, with the occasional boost from Galactic Bounties.

I'm still a little amazed that people from guilds that haven't maxed IPD and ROLO ages ago somehow think they'll do fine in geoTB. New content always seems to set the forums on fire. Now where's my popcorn...
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member
    Phoenixeon wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Ravenclaws wrote: »
    Bounties.

Yep, ROLO and IPD are both options for Galactic Bounty 1. Granted, so is Wampa who is just objectively more valuable, plus the event comes once a month or sometimes less, so I dunno how viable that is as a solution. I feel like most of the folks who already have a 7* Wampa would also already have completed IPD, and vice versa.

Hey, hermit isnt farmable through bounty, any levels.

That’s how you know he’s very important in the future. 😉

I choose wampa before bounty released.
    Bounty I came, I can beat every level easily, but I dont need any...just auto paploo twice for crystals.
  • Jpolson43 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen if IPD will be farmable with the new TB coming out? Would like to finish it...but not at the expense of Geonesian TB.

How did such a simple question turn into such a **** fest?
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    Jpolson43 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen if IPD will be farmable with the new TB coming out? Would like to finish it...but not at the expense of Geonesian TB.

Based on this question, it sounds like you may be new to the forums. Welcome!
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member

Congratulations! That means your thread was a success!

The alternative is getting zero replies.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH