Is IG-88 good now with the protection buff?

Tabub
50 posts Member
Along with a lot of other characters, IG-88 got a sizable protection boost, but his was a whole 13000 protection increase, which is absolutely massive. This leads to my question, is IG-88 going to be a part of the main bounty hunter squad now? His issue was being too easily killed, but now that this is not an issue anymore, will he be better than other bounty hunters in the fifth slot?

Replies

• Shok
    73 posts Member
    Interesting... any idea how much Greedo got?
  • Tabub wrote: »
    Along with a lot of other characters, IG-88 got a sizable protection boost, but his was a whole 13000 protection increase, which is absolutely massive. This leads to my question, is IG-88 going to be a part of the main bounty hunter squad now? His issue was being too easily killed, but now that this is not an issue anymore, will he be better than other bounty hunters in the fifth slot?

I don't assume so. He needs more of a rework to fit in with other bounty hunters. Aside from his low survivability, his main issue with just not having any real synergy with how other BHs operate. Others can do things like reduce TM, stun, apply thermal detonators, etc.. IG-88's real bread and butter currently lies with target lock. Because of that, IG-88 fits better in a droid squad since they're the faction that actually uses that mechanic. BUT with the GG reworks, you're definitely not gonna take away one of the separatist droids for IG-88... so he's just kinda there...
  • Tabub
    50 posts Member
    Shok wrote: »
    Interesting... any idea how much Greedo got?

Greedy got around 14000 increase
  • Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    I’m really happy they’re making such squishy characters so much better just by the protection boost.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    willennium wrote: »
    Tabub wrote: »

I don't assume so. He needs more of a rework to fit in with other bounty hunters. Aside from his low survivability, his main issue with just not having any real synergy with how other BHs operate. Others can do things like reduce TM, stun, apply thermal detonators, etc.. IG-88's real bread and butter currently lies with target lock. Because of that, IG-88 fits better in a droid squad since they're the faction that actually uses that mechanic. BUT with the GG reworks, you're definitely not gonna take away one of the separatist droids for IG-88... so he's just kinda there...

He has a really good debuff package, heal immunity, and hits like a truck. Now that I found out he got a protection buff, I know just where to put him.

Thanks OP. IMO he works just as well under scoundrels as he Does BH or Droids. He should work on any BH squad or try him with Qira and Vandor if you have them.
  • Good catch OP! I may try putting him back into my BH squad now. He used to be in it but I traded him out so he sits on my roster at G12 but rarely used (I don't have a droid squad). The question now though, who to drop? I'm running Bossk, Boba, Dengar, Greedo, and Cad Bane. I might drop Bane.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    I almost had a heart attack and then I realized you were asking about eighty EIGHT.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • VonZant wrote: »
    willennium wrote: »
    Tabub wrote: »

He has a really good debuff package, heal immunity, and hits like a truck. Now that I found out he got a protection buff, I know just where to put him.

Thanks OP. IMO he works just as well under scoundrels as he Does BH or Droids. He should work on any BH squad or try him with Qira and Vandor if you have them.

Yeah he does have a nice kit, but I'm thinking in an optimal BH squad, even with the extra protection, he still doesn't bring quite enough to make the cut. Bossk, Boba, Jango, Embo, and Dengar are the presumed best 5. He's definitely not breaking that, even outside of that, Greedo and Cad would still give him a run for his money since they dispel and reduce TM.

I mean he's not a bad character, so if someone doesn't have the other BHs farmed, but has 88, then by all means they should use him. He's just not really that ideal on an all BH team... unless it's on a second full BH team.

• H_B0MBZ
    292 posts Member
    Yoda crits for 76k in my shard at g12+. So no it won't do anything different. At this point in time if the team doesn't have a gimmick like JKR savior, Jolee revive, B1 prot and health gen, or Padme protection they are not arena useful. As for everything else hopefully it will make things easier.
  • Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    I almost had a heart attack and then I realized you were asking about eighty EIGHT.

Aw c’mon, can’t you give just a little love to your poor silver droid?
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Which one?

I got no beef with 88.
  • Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    Well, you know, the other one. I know how much you hate 'that one' droid, so I kinda want to avoid being yelled at for mentioning 'he who shall not be named'...
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Ok, then the answer is no. He still knows what he did.
  • TVF wrote: »

what? ....

for 88 i'm not convinced 13k xtra prot takes him out of glass cannon territory, should help a lot under bossk though. id remove dengar to put him in if i had dengar, which i don't not a fan

on another note, is there a list somewhere Showing the prot increases for each? is it across all gear levels so even g8 seis benefit?
  • I zetad his lead... It didn't add any protection I think I messed up.

😱
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    I zetad his lead... It didn't add any protection I think I messed up.

😱

You messed up, yeah. As you zetaed another toon. 88's lead doesn't have zeta :D

It may have an use with separatist droids due to TL synergy. But who to drop to take him in?
    Post edited by Juzz on
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    IG-88 does best with other DS droids, not so much with BH. IG lead with IPD, B2, Grievous and T3 are a decent team - not meta but decently strong.

I have found a use for IG88 in BH teams under a Jango lead. His AoE, while not ultra strong, still allows for the setup of Jango's contract getting filled. Pair him with Dengar, Zam and Bossk and on defense you have a team.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

what? ....

0 x 0 x 0 x 0 = 86
  • Anyone have a link to the spreadsheet of protection buffs?
  • Anyone have a link to the spreadsheet of protection buffs?

i'm not able to post a link, but it's on reddit, link under arnold new video about maul and cody
  • Pentagon
    101 posts Member
    He has a generic non faction lead... he's a scoundrel droid and he's a pilot.

I find myself having a lot of uses for him in my jack of all trade left over GA teams...

But then I have a lot of scoundrel/droids.
    Keyboard Warrior on the side of the Moderates
    I play the game for fun, if you don't like content, don't like the game, then why are you here?
  • Pentagon wrote: »
    He has a generic non faction lead... he's a scoundrel droid and he's a pilot.

I find myself having a lot of uses for him in my jack of all trade left over GA teams...

But then I have a lot of scoundrel/droids.

Yep, if you have 5 BH and 5 droids only if you have Ig88, then his plug and playness is very useful while you are getting Bossk's ship along with Jango.

That's my current situation.
  • I haven't geared Jango, so right now it's IG or Bane in my fifth slot (both are G12). I've been running Bane but with the buff I'm gonna try IG again and see how he fares.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • IG-88's main issue was always defense really, not HP or protection. He still has one of the lowest defense values in the game, so unless you do something about it all the HP and Protection in the world won't make much of a difference.
  • IG-88's main issue was always defense really, not HP or protection. He still has one of the lowest defense values in the game, so unless you do something about it all the HP and Protection in the world won't make much of a difference.

Yep when I took him Chewbacca hunting I basically swapped his mods with Bossk. It worked out when I then gave Bossk Poe's mods
  • I like to run him under Qi'ra with L3, Mission and Zaalbar

Although this last TW I accidentally put in Thrawn instead of Mission lol