An idea to improve GAC time dramatically

Prev1
Ultra
11491 posts Moderator
edited June 2019
I'm not sure about the rest of the playerbase, but one of my biggest gripes about Grand Arena (and Grand Arena Championship) is the defense phase being 24 hours long.

Issue: Players have to wait a day after one battle before being able to do the next

I understand because the game is global there is no way to reduce the timer. What I am proposing is something different. What my solution is getting rid of defense set phase, allowing us to shorten GAC by more than half. I'll go into more detail by what I mean, we aren't completely eliminating the defense period, per se

The idea is that you set defenses before your first opponent, and you have access to Defense Set Feature that lets you adjust what defense you would like to place against your next opponent before you know who you will be paired up against

I know some players like to set defenses according to who they are going against, but by doing this we can eliminate 2 days of waiting, and I think your defense should be adjusted to any team. The other thing is, by looking at the points of others in the bracket, you can pretty much guess (binary elimination) who your potential next round opponents will be

The idea is you had a defense option next to feats

buutbmzksnsm.png

Make the tabs divided into three equal parts instead of two as it is now

On clicking the Defense Tab, you get this screen:

1m9b7q5y713n.png

Basically you can set or CHANGE your defenses anytime during the attack period until you are paired up with your next opponent. What this would do is:

Day 1: Players join, and wait to be placed in the bracket
Day 2: Defense period (24 hours)
Day 3: Battle first opponent
Day 4: Battle second opponent
Day 5: Battle third opponent
Week 1 ends and its time for a new set of 8 players

Day 6: Defense period
Day 7: Attack (1/3)
Day 8: Attack (2/3)
Day 9: Attack (3/3)

There is more active GAC going on since you are battling every day rather than having an off day and instead of taking 5 weeks for GAC, its shorten down drastically

The biggest drawback is that the devs would need to redo the feats aspect, like instead of 15 fleet battles per week, reduce it to 7 battles in 4 days or something to that effect

Interested in hearing if people dislike the 24 hour defense period in between, which is much worse when your opponent doesn't participate or you quickly get your attacks in

EDIT: Defense Tab can be used to change your defenses on the fly to use that defense for the next opponent. Its available 24 hours during the attack phase
Post edited by Ultra on

Replies

• They could add one more layer and let you set up to 8 defensive lineups. One for each possible opponent and one default (to be used for any opponent you haven't set a defense for).
  • I would be down if I had Malak but I don't, so I must be very specific with how I set defense to have at least a shot. This would be maybe good for the experienced veteran player but the newer players who face all kinds of crazy rosters with opponents missing alot of major factions they will not be able to accurately predict who will win they must go with whatever.

I think they only think that works is to give us more rewards for the amount of time it's required to do the entire event.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    One adjustment that could also work (suggested previously by someone else) is to do 1 defensive set day at the beginning. During that day you set a defense for each of the other 7 players in the group. Then no matter who you face you have the same defense you would right now, but it can reduce the round by 2 days.
    Personally I feel the blind defense suggestion is not good. It's part if the game mode, it's part of the strategy.

I like the 24 hour break, except when I forget what day it is and have a panic attack that I have not attacked/or forget to set a defense....
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »
    They could add one more layer and let you set up to 8 defensive lineups. One for each possible opponent and one default (to be used for any opponent you haven't set a defense for).

That's not a bad idea actually, it would definitely overload the defense phase day with alot more work but I guess it's not a bad trade. Also it would be 7 lineups not 8
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »
    They could add one more layer and let you set up to 8 defensive lineups. One for each possible opponent and one default (to be used for any opponent you haven't set a defense for).

That's not a bad idea actually, it would definitely overload the defense phase day with alot more work but I guess it's not a bad trade. Also it would be 7 lineups not 8

No. It would be 8. As I explained: one for each possible opponent and a default. Example for the default, you have one Malak in your group and want a special defense of you face that opponent. The rest can be there same. Set the default defense and set a defense for the Malak opponent. Done. When you face and of the other 6 it'll user the default.

Also, you shouldn't have to set all your defenses on day 1. Just your next opponent. Defenses should remain unlocked until you enter battle.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »
    One adjustment that could also work (suggested previously by someone else) is to do 1 defensive set day at the beginning. During that day you set a defense for each of the other 7 players in the group. Then no matter who you face you have the same defense you would right now, but it can reduce the round by 2 days.
    Personally I feel the blind defense suggestion is not good. It's part if the game mode, it's part of the strategy.

I like the 24 hour break, except when I forget what day it is and have a panic attack that I have not attacked/or forget to set a defense....
    I mean, the day 1 defense is your auto set for the next two opponents

but if you feel like you need to make an adjustment, the defense tab is there for you to change it

Like you try BH and it didn't work so well, so you add in an auto taunt for opponents 2 and 3

Or if you made a mistake in your defense, you can fix that for next two opponents
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Ultra wrote: »

but if you feel like you need to make an adjustment, the defense tab is there for you to change it

Like you try BH and it didn't work so well, so you add in an auto taunt for opponents 2 and 3

Or if you made a mistake in your defense, you can fix that for next two opponents

But without knowing your next opponent, it would be hard to adjust.

I really like setting individual defenses, I think anything that reduces my ability to do that hurts me. I would like to keep that feature. There are solutions out there that give us the best of both worlds.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator

I really like setting individual defenses, I think anything that reduces my ability to do that hurts me. I would like to keep that feature. There are solutions out there that give us the best of both worlds.
    Yes. I am proposing to lose the benefit of adjusting to particular opponents. The tradeoff is shorter Grand Arena downtime. How often do you adjust to your opponents? I am in Division 1, so my opponents tend to have almost all factions rared up, so I stopped paying attention to what my opponent does, and set my best 8 defensive team regardless of what they have since they have all the powerful toons and factions. I think that is how endgame GA is shaping up to be. I used to adjust all the time before until the last two months of Grand Arena. Do you still do it regularly?

Its very rare that I might run into a weaker opponent or sometimes an opponent with no Darth Malak but they usually are a round 1 matchup, which is what Day 2 is for (adjusting to an 'easy' opponent)
  • If you're not adjusting defense, why not make day 1 join and set defense? I'm still at a point where I like to adjust my defenses but I really hate having a whole day to do just that.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    If you're not adjusting defense, why not make day 1 join and set defense? I'm still at a point where I like to adjust my defenses but I really hate having a whole day to do just that.
    You can change and adjust your defense anytime using the defense tab for next opponent

Sorry for not being clear enough
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Yes. I am proposing to lose the benefit of adjusting to particular opponents. The tradeoff is shorter Grand Arena downtime. How often do you adjust to your opponents? I am in Division 1, so my opponents tend to have almost all factions rared up, so I stopped paying attention to what my opponent does, and set my best 8 defensive team regardless of what they have since they have all the powerful toons and factions. I think that is how endgame GA is shaping up to be. I used to adjust all the time before until the last two months of Grand Arena. Do you still do it regularly?

Its very rare that I might run into a weaker opponent or sometimes an opponent with no Darth Malak but they usually are a round 1 matchup, which is what Day 2 is for (adjusting to an 'easy' opponent)

At least 1 opponent each round I have changed my defense. Many times I have changed for each one.

But without knowing your opponent you cant adjust for that weaker opponent.

As suggested above, why not leave defenses open, and allow us to set defense for each opponent. I would much rather take my time to set 7 defenses, and those who dont only set 1 and it gets used for each matchup.

It is the same benefit of removing the second and third defensive setup days.
    I do agree that end game may end up being less dynamic as you get to the top and the same meta teams show through, but I will go deeper and look at mods and adjust teams accordingly too. It's a fun strategy to try and read your opponents counter teams and see if you can throw them off.
  • I’m all in for something that cuts time and doesn’t hurt players because they live in a tome zone or just can’t get to their phone for a certain amount of time.
  • Gair
    616 posts Member
    Theoretically you could probably integrate time savings in TW with the same philosophy. I think the only problem is convincing everyone blind defense mechanics is the way to go.
  • urtil
    73 posts Member
    I want to keep the ability to set defense depending on who I face. Therefore i strongly oppose the blind/guess-who-you-face defense setting.

I don't want to have to set 7 or 8 defense just to use 3 and then have to do that in one 24h period which might be inconvenient at times..Therefore that suggestion isn't a sensible solution for me either.

I don't mind having a day in-between to set defenses and don't see the issue. They probably won't run GAC more often or else they would have to cut rewards drastically which would lead to other complaints. Therefore I might have less downtime during a GAC but bigger gaps in between GACs. I prefer to rather have a constant flow of GACs than being very active for a few weeks and then have a major gap with nothing to do.

--> keep it as it is. Having a day to properly set defenses with a known opponent is just fine.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    urtil wrote: »
    I want to keep the ability to set defense depending on who I face. Therefore i strongly oppose the blind/guess-who-you-face defense setting.

I don't want to have to set 7 or 8 defense just to use 3 and then have to do that in one 24h period which might be inconvenient at times..Therefore that suggestion isn't a sensible solution for me either.

I don't mind having a day in-between to set defenses and don't see the issue. They probably won't run GAC more often or else they would have to cut rewards drastically which would lead to other complaints. Therefore I might have less downtime during a GAC but bigger gaps in between GACs. I prefer to rather have a constant flow of GACs than being very active for a few weeks and then have a major gap with nothing to do.

--> keep it as it is. Having a day to properly set defenses with a known opponent is just fine.

this is a variation on that suggestion that allows defense for all but the first player to done in the first 24 hours:
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

No. It would be 8. As I explained: one for each possible opponent and a default. Example for the default, you have one Malak in your group and want a special defense of you face that opponent. The rest can be there same. Set the default defense and set a defense for the Malak opponent. Done. When you face and of the other 6 it'll user the default.

Also, you shouldn't have to set all your defenses on day 1. Just your next opponent. Defenses should remain unlocked until you enter battle.

it seems very doable and allow for the whole event to be shorter, which is kind of nice.

sure there is a little extra work to set defenses for opponents you will not face, but I still think this could all reasonably be done and could be a benefit for everyone.

• urtil
    73 posts Member
    it seems very doable and allow for the whole event to be shorter, which is kind of nice.

sure there is a little extra work to set defenses for opponents you will not face, but I still think this could all reasonably be done and could be a benefit for everyone.

This is your opinion but for me it is not a benefit at all. It is just very time consuming to go through the toons of an opponent and check the different speeds and mod sets etc. Having to spend more time on figuring out defenses that I will never use is not a benefit for me. As I don't mind the 24h time period eliminating that is also not a benefit to me.

Therefore while you might prefer the above solution it is not beneficial for everyone - at least not for me. I prefer the current setup to that suggestion.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited June 2019

This is your opinion but for me it is not a benefit at all. It is just very time consuming to go through the toons of an opponent and check the different speeds and mod sets etc. Having to spend more time on figuring out defenses that I will never use is not a benefit for me. As I don't mind the 24h time period eliminating that is also not a benefit to me.

Therefore while you might prefer the above solution it is not beneficial for everyone - at least not for me. I prefer the current setup to that suggestion.

its 48 hours (there are 3 total defensive periods, this could potentially get rid of 2), and they could do other things with that additional time to benefit the player base.

this is also just your opinion and they do things they think will help the masses, that doesn't' mean everyone will like them (and they have never hit the allusive 100% mark with any of them)
  • Kyno wrote: »

its 48 hours, and they could do other things with that additional time to benefit the player base.

this is also just your opinion and they do things they think will help the masses, that doesn't' mean everyone will like them (and they have never hit the allusive 100% mark with any of them)

Well it will never be 100 percent cause of the 15 percent tenacity to good things.
  • Seems to be there are two schools of thought, both with very valid points.
    @Ultra mentions reducing or combining set defense phases to make phases faster.
    I know some opponents I set my defense in 5 min and I feel like I have nothing to do the rest of the day.
    Especially if you are in division 1 and already know what is coming it can feel like same old, same old.
    Also with reduced/combined times, we would potentially have more GACs, which for the people who enjoy participating in them would mean more ways to practice strats, etc.
    But I also see where @Kyno is coming from.
    I am a lower tier player, and since I dont have the endgame characters I need to assure victory, my wins and losses are decided but checking mods, speed, and setting defence accordingly.
    It also gives you a chance to see how individual squads perform on defense and so on.
    It is certainly an interesting point of view
    But I am not sure there is a unified opinion that warrants a change that seems to affect a very large demographic of players.
    I would also like to see GAC working correctly before the Devs implement any Quality of life changes.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

That's a lot to do...I would need an extra day
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    I would be excited for any oppertunity to play more Grand Arena but i can appreciate that there is no better way (imo) to have the match ups feel as personal as what they are in their current phase time frames.

I believe that a larger take on the issue here is that people just want a bit more to do in the game. That's difficult to do because it's a lot of work and it would almost certainly disrupt the economy.
    Only solution i have thought up to this whilst making it still feel rewarding would be if GW enemy teams consisted of ~10 most frequently set GA teams and that every node defeated rewarded GW currency. All it would ultimately give is extra shard shop currency but it could strike a good balance

It's not a perfect idea but i never claimed it to be
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    What if they ran 2 concurrently but offset a day, so that you'd be setting defense in one, but in attack phase on the other? Rewards would have to be adjusted ofc, but it would eliminate the downtime on defense day.

(And by concurrently, I mean you can play BOTH, not pick one).
  • mali3538
    105 posts Member
    How about just one thing "Done" button, this can potentionally reduce phase time....maybe...
  • urtil
    73 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    The OP asked for feedback and I provided it.

One more argument against the advance defense setting is the new feat system. It rewards specific tasks in GA. Depending on how I did in earlier rounds that might change how I would set my defense/plan my offense. With your system I would then have to change that for several defense settings again. This is just too much effort for no/limited gain.

If people are bored on the defense setting days start a second account or play another game. Optimize your mods or help your guildmates figuring out how to beat their opponents. Take a more active part in TW/TB coordination,... It is easy to fill spare time. It is however hard to free up additional time if you feel the game is already a time sink if you want to play competitively. I have seen people quit the game because they said "it takes too much time" or "feels like a second job". I have not seen anyone quit that said "there is nothing to do" (It is if anything about the quality of what there is to do). From a business perspective I think CG should worry about people burning out rather than being bored for a day in-between..

Seems like this is something we can agree on. My take is that they decided to go for individual defense setting and 24h deploy periods to give everyone enough time to think about what defense to set. Consider yourself in the "not everyone will like them" bracket then. Personally I don't think there is any need to change the current approach because they will never hit the 100% mark. ;)

P.S. nevermind that whenever CG introduces new complicated features they are likely bugged and take time from developing other parts of the game.
    Post edited by urtil on
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    As I said, I like the 24 hours for defense and dont mind the timeframe, but if we are going to try to condense it, I would still like my ability to set individual defenses for my opponents. If that means I would have to set the for all, I would prefer that then to not know who I'm setting a defense for.
  • Buddy
    197 posts Member
    Speaking as a reasonably stupid person: this would likely confuse the heck out of me
  • gura
    20 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    I have different idea, but the same aim - avoiding waiting period between battle days.

Assumption: we must cancel this mini 8-person scoretable. It is not necessary in GAC. Only Championship score (CS) is important. On the basis of CS you are promoted to higher leagues.

It could work as follow:
    Day 1 - join day
    Day 2 - you receive first opponent from your div and league. You set def for op 1.
    Day 3 - you battle op1. You receive opponent 2. You set def for op 2.
    Day 4 - you battle op2. You receive opponent 3. You set def for op 3.
    Day X - you are promoted to higher league (because you have enough CS). You receive rewards for promotion. You battle op from previous day but receive new op from higher league already.

Last day - you fight last opponent. You achieve your final core and get rewards for total GAC score.

In this scenario you have only 2 days (of about 30) in which you do not battle your opponent.
    And you always set def to opponent which is known.
  • i could go even crazier and say day 1 set defense for all 7 opponents then do 7 days of attacks so you face everyone in a round robin format. then rank 1st-8th based on record, if tied then on points earned. Then someone is not just lucky they did not have to face certain opponents is not ranked higher then maybe they deserve.
  • Pass....I set my defenses based on my match-up and sometimes change things up based on how certain teams held up the previous round. I don't think they should take strategy out of the game just because some people have no patience and want to fast-forward to everything. If we all lived in the same part of the world, they could do a 12 hour timer but the 24 hour timer is the only fair way to do it in a global game. And I have even less interest in scouting 7 opponents and setting defenses for 7 opponents when I'm only going to face 3 of them. That would be a complete waste of time....so instead of some extra waiting time, which requires no effort from me, I'd have to waste time scouting opponents and strategizing defenses for opponents I'll never even play. No Thanks.