How to fix the match making nightmare in one very simple step.

Well it doesn't take a genius to understand what's going on here. Alot of people had fluff GP in their accounts through fault of their own and that made them hate GA cause they could constantly get crushed by players with similar GP who had a more focused PvP roster. CG wants to get these people a chance to feel like they can win too in order to like the mode and stop autofilling and complaining.

Although this may be a noble cause it does not make it fair for the obvious victims who are the players with focused accounts but they have played much less so their accounts are still lacking. For them there is the sense of pride for beating a guy with much higher GP but since it's GAC is a highly competitive mode with a ranking system it's a problem when you make players feel like they are going in with a competitive disadvantage. They also go in knowing that not only are they at GP disadvantage but if they can pull of a tie they will lose due to GP difference which makes is twice as bad.

My suggestion is the following, make the tie breaker favor the person with the lower GP going in. If you have a GP advantage and you can't win you simply deserve the L more than the guy who was at a GP disadvantage.

I heard people bring up the argument that you shouldn't be discouraged to raise your GP and consume resources but this has nothing to do with GA matchmaking. When the bracket is locked whatever resources you spend don't count. Also you could be a 4.5 million player and be matched in such a way that you're the highest GP or even the lowest GP from your bracket. It's simply 100% random so you can have 4.5 million GP and be in a bracket where you have the highest of all players and you can raise your GP to 4.6 million and be paired with players who are all above 4.6 so you are the lowest. For that simple reason the fact that tie breaker favors lowest GP would not even discourage you from raising your GP. All it will do is make newer players with focused rosters get a tiny edge over older players with alot of fluff which after all makes sense.

For the record in my GAC I am the 3rd highest GP player and I'm facing a guy who has 300k less GP than me. He also doesn't have Darth Revan and I do so he's at an even bigger disadvantage. Who knows maybe he can pull it off but he probably won't but even if he can pull a tie I'd gladly accept defeat because he should not be able to tie me with what he has. Just as easily as I was 3rd highest I could be 3rd lowest GP, there's no point for me to hold off on resources and not spend them to keep my GP where it's at because next GAC I could raise my GP by a ton and end up being the lowest GP in that bracket anyways.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    a lot of words, a meaningless suggestion.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • UdalCuain
    5011 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    leef wrote: »
    alot of words, a meaningless suggestion.

Fixed it for you ;)

• Damodamo
    1586 posts Member
    Just no, all that would do is make people who don’t post teams occur more often.. a draw is a draw...

A better solution for a draw would be to give half points to each player.. make it so a tie is a tie.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Damodamo wrote: »
    Just no, all that would do is make people who don’t post teams occur more often.. a draw is a draw...

A better solution for a draw would be to give half points to each player.. make it so a tie is a tie.

That can't happen due to having to match winners vs winners and losers vs losers the next round.
    I guess you could still reward half, but that would only lead to people complaining about having to face the winner next round. In the current system if you have to face the winner the next round you atleast got the win rewards for the previous round. In the suggested system it would be beneficial to "lose" the tie, get half the rewards + a better shot at winning the next round for full rewards. Potentially netting you 1.5 win rewards and the other player potentially netting 0.5 win rewards. Not ideal either so to speak.
    Draws are fine as is.
  • I find it unfair to say bad choices by older players or wrong choice to fluff, or bc I'm newer and made the right choices to keep my roster narrow. The game has changed so much within this last year with the addition of ga. It used to make sense to fluff a roster, bc per cg territory battles when released was the main focus, and slowly with territory wars and eventually grand arena it became the wrong choice. How is that a players fault if they played the game how cg designed it at the time? Now if said player has nothing buy gear 8 and 9 teams with a gp of 3.5 million that would be different. However in a lot of these threads when you look at the matchup and the REAL numbers behind it, they are pretty even. Is it really people are complaining bc they suddenly have to use strategy when setting defense and attacking on offense?
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    With Geo TB coming, it might be possible that players will need to bloat their GP to as far of an extent as possible.
    It would actually be reasonable to finally get rid of total GP as matchmaking reference.

It's quite hilarious to see people (previously advocating for the lack of relevance the total GP provides in the matchmaking) come on the forums, complaining about unfair matchups, having all their arguments based on difference in GP.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    With Geo TB coming, it might be possible that players will need to bloat their GP to as far of an extent as possible.
    It would actually be reasonable to finally get rid of total GP as matchmaking reference.

It's quite hilarious to see people (previosly advocating for the lack of relevance total GP provides in the matchmaking) come on the forums, complaining about unfair matchups, having all their arguments based on difference in GP.

In their defense, GP is still the main (probably only) parameter for matchmaking. The only thing changed is the amount of character of which the GP is used for matchmaking.
    Other than that i agree with your comment. ;)
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    We get it. Matchmaking has been updated to not penalize people for growing their GP. Unfortunately for you it seems that you're dependent on getting favorable matchups based on artificially keeping your GP low. This was poor logic for a game and has since been fixed.

Build your best 16 teams and move on. If other's beat you in GAC, you're just not as good as you think you are. You were just relying on poor event mechanics.

This.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    For the record in my GAC I am the 3rd highest GP player and I'm facing a guy who has 300k less GP than me. He also doesn't have Darth Revan and I do so he's at an even bigger disadvantage.

Yet another example of p2w people beating up on the poor f2p of the game. Unfair.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Cool so..... it ok to upgrade unused toons now? Because you can’t go back. I didn’t like sandbagging but I was forced to because that’s how the developers choose to make the game. Is this working as intended? You never know with CG they could end up changing things by the end of the day.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Grimstoned wrote: »
    Cool so..... it ok to upgrade unused toons now? Because you can’t go back. I didn’t like sandbagging but I was forced to because that’s how the developers choose to make the game. Is this working as intended? You never know with CG they could end up changing things by the end of the day.

Give it till the end of exhibitions, but having more teams should benefit you because you can use them for O. I don't see a benefit to sandbagging now.
  • Those that support the current change fail to realise that using only the top 16 teams as an indicator rules out the fact that you could have another 10 teams at g12+ waiting in line to take on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Some squads (e.g. DR Malak) will potentially take more than 1 attempt. Clearly if you have only 16 g12+ squads (8 on D) and you happen to only kill say SiT and HK, the rest of your remaining non g12+ squads are still unlikely to do anything to the DR Malak Dbast trio.

Meanwhile, your opponent could still potentially chip away with other spare g12+ squads. This has to somehow be factored in if it hasnt.
  • Im the one with least GP of the 8. And my roster are smaller than them too. I feel like i am david against those golliards. New matchmaking is a joke
  • RawdSW
    150 posts Member
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    We get it. Matchmaking has been updated to not penalize people for growing their GP. Unfortunately for you it seems that you're dependent on getting favorable matchups based on artificially keeping your GP low. This was poor logic for a game and has since been fixed.

Build your best 16 teams and move on. If other's beat you in GAC, you're just not as good as you think you are. You were just relying on poor event mechanics.

This. I've grown my GP long time ago to help my guild in TBs. Ever since GA started, I've been getting unfavorable matchups due to my "inflated" roster and I never complained. I have 7* CUP and Lobot not because I made a bad decision, but because it was necessary for platoons. I was hoping that one day CG would fix the matchmaking and stop penalizing me for helping my guild. It finally happened.
  • What a load of nonsense. A lot of the so-called fluff has been in place since before TW or GA were ever a thing, back when guilds needed as much GP as they could get to advance stars in TBs. More importantly, the whole "focused roster" thing is figment of imagination, not an intended or built-in feature of the game. Just because someone ran a "lean" roster that doesn't mean they are entitled to any advantage in the game. Anyone with any common sense knew that the GA matchmaking was going to get tweaked and stop including weakly geared bottom of the roster toons. If we have 8 defenses, 16 total battles that's 80 characters assuming 5 per each. If we both have a similar roster based on our top 90-100 characters and you can't beat me, then you don't deserve to win. The bottom of the roster characters that won't and can't realistically be used in the battles shouldn't have any impact on the match-up. The only "problem" here is that the lean roster people intentionally tanked their GP to game the matchmaking system....they tried to get mismatches based up "fluff" that was never going to have any impact whatsoever on the GA battles. They got used to gaming the system. The matchmaking has now been updated to prevent them from gaming the system. People who were used to taking advantage of something got comfortable doing so....now, they are facing the reality that they'll have to actually earn their wins in balanced match-ups so they are shaking their rattles as loud as they can. That's all that's happening here....nothing more.

• Straegen
    194 posts Member
    My suggestion is to not count characters with a power below 10k. This will still have some unbalanced matches but it should keep players with a tight roster from getting catapulted into fights where they cannot even field enough teams to set a defense and still attack.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Well it doesn't take a genius to understand what's going on here. Alot of people had fluff GP in their accounts through fault of their own

Oh you mean increasing our GP like the DEVS told us to do....right try again bruh
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

It's quite hilarious to see people (previously advocating for the lack of relevance the total GP provides in the matchmaking) come on the forums, complaining about unfair matchups, having all their arguments based on difference in GP.

same "lean" guys posting all over forum how it's not fair cause their "tight" guilds can't even do Geno TB or scratch it..... Was totally ok for them to piggyback off of Fluff guys and get the same rewards...but be darned they BETTER get better rewards than the fluff guys everywhere else.... lol

legit....

whatever.... make TB rewards based on GP not equal across the board and then I'm fine with you changing matchmaking back to where you poor guys can never lose a match..... that would be fair I guess
  • Well it doesn't take a genius to understand what's going on here. Alot of people had fluff GP in their accounts through fault of their own and that made them hate GA cause they could constantly get crushed by players with similar GP who had a more focused PvP roster. CG wants to get these people a chance to feel like they can win too in order to like the mode and stop autofilling and complaining.

Although this may be a noble cause it does not make it fair for the obvious victims who are the players with focused accounts but they have played much less so their accounts are still lacking. For them there is the sense of pride for beating a guy with much higher GP but since it's GAC is a highly competitive mode with a ranking system it's a problem when you make players feel like they are going in with a competitive disadvantage. They also go in knowing that not only are they at GP disadvantage but if they can pull of a tie they will lose due to GP difference which makes is twice as bad.

My suggestion is the following, make the tie breaker favor the person with the lower GP going in. If you have a GP advantage and you can't win you simply deserve the L more than the guy who was at a GP disadvantage.

I heard people bring up the argument that you shouldn't be discouraged to raise your GP and consume resources but this has nothing to do with GA matchmaking. When the bracket is locked whatever resources you spend don't count. Also you could be a 4.5 million player and be matched in such a way that you're the highest GP or even the lowest GP from your bracket. It's simply 100% random so you can have 4.5 million GP and be in a bracket where you have the highest of all players and you can raise your GP to 4.6 million and be paired with players who are all above 4.6 so you are the lowest. For that simple reason the fact that tie breaker favors lowest GP would not even discourage you from raising your GP. All it will do is make newer players with focused rosters get a tiny edge over older players with alot of fluff which after all makes sense.

For the record in my GAC I am the 3rd highest GP player and I'm facing a guy who has 300k less GP than me. He also doesn't have Darth Revan and I do so he's at an even bigger disadvantage. Who knows maybe he can pull it off but he probably won't but even if he can pull a tie I'd gladly accept defeat because he should not be able to tie me with what he has. Just as easily as I was 3rd highest I could be 3rd lowest GP, there's no point for me to hold off on resources and not spend them to keep my GP where it's at because next GAC I could raise my GP by a ton and end up being the lowest GP in that bracket anyways.

This gets my vote for the most long-winded nothing post of all time.

Even the day we got those spam adverts about care for your Brazilian Hair, they were more relevant than this.

On what planet does changing the conditions for a tie address any of the issues that have been raised about matchmaking?
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Not enough. This matchmaking method is pure garbage and I feel more let down by the devs than ever before. Very disappointed.

The devs promised me I'd win all my matchups but it's not happening.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    How to fix the match making nightmare in one very simple step
    vug078q91byp.jpg
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Does that count as one step or two?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

It's concurrent
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

It's concurrent

So I have to choose either Picard or Riker then. Literal slaps in the face.
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    You want a solution? Just make it so that you need 5 additional 7* G8 Lvl 85 toons for every other character that you want to upgrade to G12. THAT's a solution, no more sandbagging.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn