GAC Matchmaking: punished to be good in the own weightclass

Prev1
Halx
89 posts Member
Whenever CG brings in something new , they fail as much as possible. Whats wrong to matchmake only by GP ?! There are players with focused rosters. They invested a lot of time to find out how to farm and mod effective. they worked out an advantage with intelligent playing. And now they are punished for that !!!! CG takes away their hard-earned advantage ! That is like the WBF forces a good flyweight boxer to fight against middleweight, cause he trained hard to be good in his weightclass!! What a fool would do this?! Now I have to fight against players with much more GP, and my advantage of being a good player is blown away, cause I will be defeated only because I have much less teams to fight with!!! Dont the developers think one minute about the things they do ?!

Replies

• zenn
    16 posts Member
    You're absolutely right, man! I hope this gonna be fixed in the next GA, but if they leave it like that and continue to make us fools, I'm done with this game no matter how much I love Star Wars.
  • What yall call "focused" I call sandbagging. Here's the difference, you have the opportunity to build your roster. Before, I had no ability to unlevel mine.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Have you ever read a thread on this forum about matchmaking prior to this change?
  • I'm in the same situation now.
    I don't have a particular strategy to play in Grand Arena, only I try to maximize the power of useful characters. But I think think this is a common strategy, useful in Territory Wars.
    All my opponents have teams comparable to mine (Revan, Darth Revan, Rebels, First Order, Old Republic, Night Sisters...), so in this type of matchmaking EA done a good job.
    But they have characters GP from 2.400.000 to 2.672.000 while mine is 2.238.000 (only characters, no ships).
    Considering I have to deploy 8 teams (they was 6 the last week..).... I don't have possibilities to win any battle in this GA...
  • Halx
    89 posts Member
    What yall call "focused" I call sandbagging. Here's the difference, you have the opportunity to build your roster. Before, I had no ability to unlevel mine.

Think you dont understand what sandbagging ist.. When you have 3 M an remove all your mods to get 2,6M.. thats sandbagging... To farm effectiv and build a good roster is NOT sandbagging. What your re saying is like a boxer who says "Hey I trained wrong and have less talent, so let me fight only against boxers who are much smaller than me, otherwise I cannot win.."

• Halx
    89 posts Member
    I'm in the same situation now.
    I don't have a particular strategy to play in Grand Arena, only I try to maximize the power of useful characters. But I think think this is a common strategy, useful in Territory Wars.
    All my opponents have teams comparable to mine (Revan, Darth Revan, Rebels, First Order, Old Republic, Night Sisters...), so in this type of matchmaking EA done a good job.
    But they have characters GP from 2.400.000 to 2.672.000 while mine is 2.238.000 (only characters, no ships).
    Considering I have to deploy 8 teams (they was 6 the last week..).... I don't have possibilities to win any battle in this GA...

Same here... I have to deploy too much teams, cause its adapted to the GP of the much stronger opponents. For them its no problem, cause they have about 5-6 more 100k teams than me.. But thats the reason I will lose.. I dont have enough teams.. my opponents have about 20-30 more g11/g12 toons than me.. so how should that work?! They will win by pure mass..
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Halx wrote: »
    Whenever CG brings in something new , they fail as much as possible. Whats wrong to matchmake only by GP ?! There are players with focused rosters. They invested a lot of time to find out how to farm and mod effective. they worked out an advantage with intelligent playing. And now they are punished for that !!!!

How are they punished? How are focused rosters at a disadvantage? How is a focused roster, with 20 great teams and nothing more at a disadvantage compared to a fluffy roster with 20 good-to-great teams and a lot of added fluff?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    What yall call "focused" I call sandbagging. Here's the difference, you have the opportunity to build your roster. Before, I had no ability to unlevel mine.

You have the ability to slowly turn your roster into a more focused roster.
  • Strojař
    115 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    I agree with you. I feel with you. But nothing is going to change. Whales will alwyas win. CGs are laughing when reading this (if reading this at all) instead of thinking.. i'll wait till next gac and if nothing's gonna change i'll uninstall this game.. sicne release jkr this game is just mirrormatch and battle of speed or who buy this or that meta first to have advantage. I already wrote it. Make this game pure p2p. It's going to end in that state no matter what will happen next. ;)
  • Halx
    89 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    Whenever CG brings in something new , they fail as much as possible. Whats wrong to matchmake only by GP ?! There are players with focused rosters. They invested a lot of time to find out how to farm and mod effective. they worked out an advantage with intelligent playing. And now they are punished for that !!!!

How are they punished? How are focused rosters at a disadvantage? How is a focused roster, with 20 great teams and nothing more at a disadvantage compared to a fluffy roster with 20 good-to-great teams and a lot of added fluff?

Dont know exactly how this matching works..or if it works at all... Maybe it does not make the big difference in 5M+ range.. but when i have 8 great teams and 6 defense spots.. and he has 3 great teams and 15 good teams.. he will always win only by the mass.. 500k-1,5M means not, they have fluffy rosters.. I might have some better mods and my best toons are stronger, but they have much more g11/g12 than me..
  • If you were consistently getting matched against weaker players under the old format, that’s evidence that the matchmaking was bad, not that you’re good at the game. You guys realize this, right?
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • zenn
    16 posts Member
    If you were consistently getting matched against weaker players under the old format, that’s evidence that the matchmaking was bad, not that you’re good at the game. You guys realize this, right?
    You misunderstand it - if you consistently getting matched against stronger players under the old format, that's evidence that you're a bad player, not that the matchmaking was bad.
  • zenn wrote: »
    If you were consistently getting matched against weaker players under the old format, that’s evidence that the matchmaking was bad, not that you’re good at the game. You guys realize this, right?
    You misunderstand it - if you consistently getting matched against stronger players under the old format, that's evidence that you're a bad player, not that the matchmaking was bad.

FWIW, I always fell in the middle of my group of 8 under the old system. I’ve never gone 0-3 and I’ve never gone 3-0. Most of the time I’ve gone 2-1 and a few times 1-2. The problem under the old system is that there were so many times when either I or my opponent essentially had no chance. It’s boring no matter which side of that equation you land on.

Small sample size, I know, but my first round matchup in this GA was by a mile the most competetive and interesting matchup I’ve had in the mode. I won by about 15 banners, after clearing one last tough defensive squad with essentially leftovers. My hope is that everybody, no matter how they built their rosters is getting better and more interesting matchups.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • uno
    150 posts Member
    can it ever b fun to not win? if u won everything all the time...eventually is no longer fun. i am glad to b matched against a higher gp collector...cuz they've been at it longer they have alot of those 'useless'(but they weren't then) toons...why should they be punished for having done that as opposed to someone who started more recently and didn't have to get said worthless toons and moved straight to latest greatest?...in most of these matchups(mine included), toons are about even, but lower gp usually has way better mods...i expect to win unless i make a mistake...almost doesn't matter what my opp does
  • Can I ask why I´m in group with opp. with gp 3,4 vs my 1,9GP? On screen in GA i can read Division 6: GP 1,6-1,99 but my opp have 2,056;2,255;2,164;2,232;2,781;3,462;2,611 how i can win with 1,89??? This is totaly wrong...it´s not chalange, just autolose vs much bigger GP.
  • Waqui wrote: »

@Waqui A focused roster shy of 4M GP does not have 20 great squads. It doesn't have 16 great squads. It probably has 12 great squads, since that's what it's been asked to do since December when GA started. The cancelled exhibition season asked us to place six teams. That was increased to eight with the latest iteration (despite any explanation being provided, as committed by CG SBCrumb in this post here

When matchmaking is extended to a broader rosters but only the top 80 toons are counted, there's a monumental impact if you fail. Take this matchup example:

37qvbdoc7p1a.png

Without looking at the impact of actual squad formation, player B has a slight conundrum - do I place 40 G11/12 characters on defense and risk having a single high quality squad left in the event of a failure or do I place a less robust defense in order to ensure I have enough firepower to clear the board if a lost battle occurs but then risk losing on banners?

Some would say "this is where strategy comes into play", but why does that strategy ONLY come into play for Player B? Player A has 4+ extra squads of wiggle room. This also implies that EVERY G11/12 character in that list is a usable component of some team, which we all know is not the case. There are raid specific toons that get geared and have utility for a time (e.g. the Visas Marr's of the world) or toons with middling utility that get bumped out of a squad for more useful toons (e.g. when Range Trooper came along - or any number of Bounty Hunters). I understand the same roster impacts occur for Player A, but with more "uncounted" toons, that player is more able to absorb the outliers.

So the feature producers have essentially gone from "penalizing" broad rosters with the initial use of GP as a determinant to "penalizing" lean rosters by ignoring meaningful swaths of GP from broader rosters while increasing the amount of GP you need to use to compete.

It's smart on their part, as it incentivizes GP growth, which correspondingly incentivizes spend. However, the current matchmaking algo flies in the face of the spirit of a progression-based feature based on the likelihood it's using some form of Elo-like rating behind the scenes. While I don't have hard evidence of this, the GP spread of the brackets I've been able to look at is much larger for accounts that have been previously successful in GA.

Said another way, an account that's 2.3M GP in toon GP that has gone 12-12 in GA rounds to date is one of the higher GPs in its bracket while an account that's 2.3M GP in toon GP that has gone 24-0 is giving away between 200k and 600k of character GP. This is all well and good if there weren't leagues to progress in, but far worse 2.3M toon GP accounts are going to progress into a higher league because they get easier match ups. There's a fundamental fairness there that did not exist in the original GA format (since there was no progression).

I'm not sure that the matchmaking is as much of a problem, though, as the increase in the number of required squads without notification. I would have meaningful matches at 6 squads in my current group, since that's what I've been spending the last six months building for (while also taking into consideration TB and legendary requirements - merging the two wherever possible). Stretching my roster to 8 while matching me up against competition that has a bigger bench that might not be included in the match but not on the stat sheet seems like an unfair penalty to pay as it limits my ability to progress relative to my peers.

• uno
    150 posts Member
    80-100k squad like duh bears or clones is easily wiped by a znest(63 banners on auto)...my opp has 400k toon gp 'advantage' but doesn't have any top squads, is low end speed mods, etc.....all the theory about them having more to work with is ****! top squads can eat entire rosters!(TW proves that)...seen tons of these threads that talk but offer no evidence for the unfairness of these types of matches...that said maybe my opp has a legit gripe about getting matched against me,lol
  • uno wrote: »
    80-100k squad like duh bears or clones is easily wiped by a znest(63 banners on auto)...my opp has 400k toon gp 'advantage' but doesn't have any top squads, is low end speed mods, etc.....all the theory about them having more to work with is ****! top squads can eat entire rosters!(TW proves that)...seen tons of these threads that talk but offer no evidence for the unfairness of these types of matches...that said maybe my opp has a legit gripe about getting matched against me,lol

@uno Anyone that sets clones or ewoks against a slow Nest modded for tenacity isn't the subject of the discussion. My last opponent had a 350k toon GP advantage. I had Malak, he had zzPadme and zGrievous squads. None of the other toons on his GG squad would have registered in the top 80, but because of their unique synergies represent a really great low GP option.
  • uno
    150 posts Member
    @cannonfodder_iv that is just an example of what this thread is concerned about. some rosters will b built to counter what u've built and vice versa. point i'm making is that there are alot more factors than just gp(one u make as well). i've won matches i shouldn't have and lost ones i shoulda, can't win them all. strategy in deployment is key...ur opp has to assume u'll set malak on D and plan accordingly for his offense, or not. u might set something strange that trips him up.they are far from done with calculating matchups and this basic argument about gp differences is a bogus one(my humble opinion). for one thing, these cross divisional hurts the higher one in that they can't earn as many banners as others in same division. they are looking to get players from having blowout victories/losses, this so far has been a good step in that direction
  • uno wrote: »
    @cannonfodder_iv that is just an example of what this thread is concerned about. some rosters will b built to counter what u've built and vice versa. point i'm making is that there are alot more factors than just gp(one u make as well). i've won matches i shouldn't have and lost ones i shoulda, can't win them all. strategy in deployment is key...ur opp has to assume u'll set malak on D and plan accordingly for his offense, or not. u might set something strange that trips him up.they are far from done with calculating matchups and this basic argument about gp differences is a bogus one(my humble opinion). for one thing, these cross divisional hurts the higher one in that they can't earn as many banners as others in same division. they are looking to get players from having blowout victories/losses, this so far has been a good step in that direction

@uno I agree with you about banners and cross divisional matches. In the single GA format I would have been more likely to agree with you about blowout wins and losses, if there were prize tiers. What they did instead, was make it easier for less competitive rosters at the same GP to progress within the same division. In a true "ranked championship" I would expect to lose to those ranked better than me. Based on some of the rosters sitting in the top 1000 right now, I'm confident that's not the case. But it doesn't really matter all that match. The group of players that are effected by this change is small compared to the group of players that can finally win a GA match. Maybe that's a better thing for the game overall even if it's questionably unfair to those facing significantly stiffer competition for the same rewards.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

@Waqui A focused roster shy of 4M GP does not have 20 great squads. It doesn't have 16 great squads. It probably has 12 great squads, since that's what it's been asked to do since December when GA started.

A non-focused player will not even have 12 great squads. A focused player will get those last great squads long before a non-focused player. I don't see how players with focused rosters are punished.
    Without looking at the impact of actual squad formation, player B has a slight conundrum - do I place 40 G11/12 characters on defense and risk having a single high quality squad left in the event of a failure or do I place a less robust defense in order to ensure I have enough firepower to clear the board if a lost battle occurs but then risk losing on banners?

Yes, the strategy aspect of GAC is great. I love it.
    Some would say "this is where strategy comes into play", but why does that strategy ONLY come into play for Player B? Player A has 4+ extra squads of wiggle room.

Player A still has less great squads, remember. Those extra squads of wiggle will be mediocre/weak squads. Player B will easily catch up to this. He might even have caught up in the few days before this second exhibition ran.
    So the feature producers have essentially gone from "penalizing" broad rosters with the initial use of GP as a determinant to "penalizing" lean rosters by ignoring meaningful swaths of GP from broader rosters while increasing the amount of GP you need to use to compete.

I don't see it the same way as you. I don't see how they are penalized. Those rosters that require more teams, will soon catch up and move ahead again.

• @Waqui Do you consider yourself focused or not?
  • zenn wrote: »

Really? I have 2 accounts...
    Account A: #38 arena, #1 fleet arena, sith smiter title, 33% GA wins
    Account B: #230 arena, #51 fleet arena, 100% GA wins (this account has never lost)
    So I guess I am just a bad player with account A?
    Guess what, I happen to be the same player. The difference is that I was hardcore sandbagging on account B, to the point that I didn't even activate toons I wasnt going to use. That's not being good; that's gaming the system.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    So your "good" account is matched against harder players? What's your point?
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    So your "good" account is matched against harder players? What's your point?

You must have missed the sandbagging part.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    @Waqui Do you consider yourself focused or not?

I am focused. My roster in this game? Less focused, but not among the fluffiest ones. What difference does all this make in our discussion?
  • Waqui wrote: »

I am focused. My roster in this game? Less focused, but not among the fluffiest ones. What difference does all this make in our discussion?

@Waqui I don't consider your roster non-focused. I consider you having more than 12 great squads (BH, Ewoks, FO, GR, Seps, IT, JKR, ****, NS, OR, JTR, R1, Qira / Nest, DR, CLS, Traya, EP) - at least 17 by my count, deployed differently depending on the strengths of your opponent's roster. Enough for 8 solid defensive placements, eight counters and at least one coherent squad leftover. And outside of R1 or Ewoks aren't really giving up much in the way of an easy clear.

And the difference it all makes is that you are the exact roster construction I'm up against in this GA. I'm giving up 500k GP and 300k Char GP. I have 6 more G12, you have 14 more G11 and 7 more zetas - most of them placed on your Ewoks ;-). I have Malak and an odd separatist team. You have usable Ewoks (at least on offense), FO, GR and the basis for both a GG droid team and solid Geos under Dooku. In a six squad placement, I'm pretty confident i win (and not because I place DR/Malak on defense, which I mostly don't). In an eight squad placement, your depth, conferred by your larger toon GP falling outside of the top 80 character match, puts me in a much more difficult position.

That's my whole point. It's easy for you to provide single line responses with no backing information, but when we actually drill down into some detail to understand the issue, it's perhaps a little more nuanced and complex, no?
  • Current GA match making is toughest since they started and as such the most honest, yes it could be improved since instead of top 60 for 6/6 teams they could look at top90 champs so that people have spare capacity for failed attacks etc.., The biggest issue is awards should be scalling exponentially since those who go up 1-2 leagues and find themselves between the top of the top will start getting worse rewards for finishing 5-7.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

@Waqui I don't consider your roster non-focused.

Neither do I. However, it's still less focused than I am. Furthermore, I have been matched against players with far more focused rosters several times.
    I consider you having more than 12 great squads (BH, Ewoks, FO, GR, Seps, IT, JKR, ****, NS, OR, JTR, R1, Qira / Nest, DR, CLS, Traya, EP) - at least 17 by my count,

I don't consider my DR, ewok and seperatists great, but I'm working on it. I don't consider R1 to be great.

But again:
    What difference does all this make in our discussion?

What's my personal roster got to do with our discussion?
    And the difference it all makes is that you are the exact roster construction I'm up against in this GA. I'm giving up 500k GP and 300k Char GP. I have 6 more G12, you have 14 more G11 and 7 more zetas - most of them placed on your Ewoks ;-). I have Malak and an odd separatist team.

It looks like you have the advantage then, if you apply a sound strategy.
    In an eight squad placement, your depth, conferred by your larger toon GP falling outside of the top 80 character match, puts me in a much more difficult position.

I disagree. Your Malak team can probably block two zones. If you don't turn this to your advantage, if you battle me, you really should work on your strategy. A weak strategy has got nothing to do with matchmaking.
    That's my whole point. It's easy for you to provide single line responses with no backing information, but when we actually drill down into some detail to understand the issue, it's perhaps a little more nuanced and complex, no?

It appears to be easy for you to blame your bad strategy on match-making.

And you didn't provide a single line to support your claims in this long post. Your roster and mine are irrelevant. Your weak strategy undermines your whole argument. I'm sure, I could win, if using your roster against mine.