GAC matchmaking improved?

Prev1
Kisakee
1648 posts Member
With todays GAC i got enemies with almost similar character GP, similar developed roster, no Malak at all including myself and only a single G13 toon. It totally feels like they improved the matchmaking a lot. Are you experiencing the same or is it just coincidence?
"Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
- Grand Admiral Thrawn

Replies

• Options
    And I'm over here in the 1.6 - 1.99 GP brakcet and im matched up with a 2.37 mil GP, 2.16, 2.47, 2.30, 2.04.
    Surprisingly I did get 1.83, 1.67. But to your question, you got lucky and the matchmaking is still broken.
    Also, anyone know which dev to tag to relay this info?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there.... last GA i was the top gp at 3.8m. I lost in the last round to the lowest gp at 2.7m. The matches may be a lot closer than they appear, and don't count yourself out just because you're matched against higher gp.
  • Options
    Lowest GP last GAC. I won.
    Last match was my 2.8 Mill vs 3.8 mill.

Matchmaking seems to be good.
  • Akenno
    538 posts Member
    Options
    We should battle those who have similar points! They have a smiliar roster because they are in our GP bracket. Would be the better matchmaking tbh.
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    Akenno wrote: »
    We should battle those who have similar points! They have a smiliar roster because they are in our GP bracket. Would be the better matchmaking tbh.

You ever faced a sandbagger?
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Akenno wrote: »

That led to incredibly mismatched grand arenas. Look up my roster on .gg, it's under my forum name. That's a 2.6m (characters only, 4 something with ships) roster. I don't have a roster that's similar to another 2.6m simply because we're in the same division. 1,134,672 of my gp (I totaled it up!) comes from characters that are G9 or lower. It's arguable that a g10 probably wouldn't make much of a difference against a roster that was equal in GP to mine.

Stop worrying, start playing.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    At around 2.3mill total GP I've see a mix. Sometimes it throws me mich higher GP opponents with weak rosters which are usually easy wins, sometimes lower GP opponents with strong top-ends which can be surprisingly tough but so far winnable and some with comparable rosters in terms of GP and character mix which make interesting fights.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Kisakee wrote: »
    With todays GAC i got enemies with almost similar character GP, similar developed roster, no Malak at all including myself and only a single G13 toon. It totally feels like they improved the matchmaking a lot. Are you experiencing the same or is it just coincidence?

The range on my league is decent. There are 2 with huge mod disparity to everyone else. Last time they made an announcement they will make notice if there are any adjustments to the algo. And I bet due to the nature of the current algo the level of decency has lots of randomness involved as top X leaves room for a wide range of possible match-ups. Especially given that g13 almost has no effect.
  • Krjstoff
    633 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    My current match is versus a 4.7m GP player. I'm just below 4.3m. I have a lot of bloated GP from the early TB days.

My opponent has 25 G12s more than me (76 to my 51) and more than double the amount of 6 dot mods.

He has clearly spent a lot more money than me, as he has a couple fewer zetas as me despite having a more power fleet and ranking consistently higher = He has been way shorter in the game than me.

I still win. GP and G12s doesn't mean nearly as much at people are trying to make it out to.

Strategy and knowing your counters are way more important. Of course some very specific toons are super important, but once you get venture outside the top 6-7 teams more G12s doesn't really matter much.
  • Options

You are lucky my friend. I have never battled anyone in GAC with the same character gp as me. Its always 100k difference at the very least. That is a pretty decent squad that my opponent has over me. In the normal GA it was fine. It was similar or maybe a little higher than me but that is workable. Yesterday I lost to someone with 200k over me. Today i got matched again with another player with 200k over me plus some g14 characters. Dude is ranked double digits in squad arena. Thats how big the difference is. And i am glad is just characters becuase he has a rank 6 ship squad. This GAC has been horrible for me. Extremely disappointing. It's so bad that it actually made me consider not play GA anymore or even the game. I just have spent too much of my time and some money on this game.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Tino9118 wrote: »

You are lucky my friend. I have never battled anyone in GAC with the same character gp as me. Its always 100k difference at the very least. That is a pretty decent squad that my opponent has over me. In the normal GA it was fine. It was similar or maybe a little higher than me but that is workable. Yesterday I lost to someone with 200k over me. Today i got matched again with another player with 200k over me plus some g14 characters. Dude is ranked double digits in squad arena. Thats how big the difference is. And i am glad is just characters becuase he has a rank 6 ship squad. This GAC has been horrible for me. Extremely disappointing. It's so bad that it actually made me consider not play GA anymore or even the game. I just have spent too much of my time and some money on this game.

G14?! Totally not fair!
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    My winrate is more or less the same in GAC as in GA, but the matches in GAC are certainly far more even in GAC than in GA. Back in GA I always had 1 or 2 very easy wins every 3 matches, where I could tell the outcome beforehand. Now at least the rosters are far more alike. Wether it's an improvement or not, I'll leave up to you.
  • Mikek
    110 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    New matchmaking is just tragic. I have focused, meta roster and i am constantly matched with people from higher divisions with considerable higher GP., more g12 characters etc. What is the point for improving the roster if it just leads to be matched with more powerful opponent from higher division? I still win most of the matches like i did in previous matchmaking but it takes much more time and planning. I feel that i am actually being punished for having good roster.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Mikek wrote: »
    New matchmaking is just tragic. I have focused, meta roster and i am constantly matched with people from higher divisions with considerable higher GP., more g12 characters etc. What is the point for improving the roster if it just leads to be matched with more powerful opponent from higher division? I still win most of the matches like i did in previous matchmaking but it takes much more time and planning. I feel that i am actually being punished for having good roster.
    Oh noes, you actually have to work for your wins?! The HORROR!!!! :o
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    Once again i got a very fair GAC round for almost all participants. I think it's balancing over time and as this still is Exhibition they're collecting datas and testing around.
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Options
    This version of the match making is light years ahead of the straight GP matching that was there previously. Sure I get matched with higher opponents GP wise from time to time but the GP that is higher is all garbage toons that don't factor into the match anyways. This is the type of improvement the game needed despite all the whining.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    This version of the match making is light years ahead of the straight GP matching that was there previously. Sure I get matched with higher opponents GP wise from time to time but the GP that is higher is all garbage toons that don't factor into the match anyways. This is the type of improvement the game needed despite all the whining.

Disagree. The range in actual combat effectiveness in the last two rounds of GAC is far wider than any previous GA. In my experience, this algorithm is far worse in creating what most would consider "fair" or even "interesting" matchups. The power of g13 is not accurately reflected in GP, meta-toon synergies and kits are not accurately weighted (zzMalak at g13 is basically the same GP as zzKRU and zzTarkin). A double zeta'd KRU team is basically the same GP as a maxed GG/Sep droid team (yes, with g12 zB1 and g12 Droideka).

Any system that uses GP is inherently flawed because of the above points. That is, GP doesn't actually measure anything meaningful when it comes to how teams perform on either defense or offense.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Disagree. The range in actual combat effectiveness in the last two rounds of GAC is far wider than any previous GA. In my experience, this algorithm is far worse in creating what most would consider "fair" or even "interesting" matchups. The power of g13 is not accurately reflected in GP, meta-toon synergies and kits are not accurately weighted (zzMalak at g13 is basically the same GP as zzKRU and zzTarkin). A double zeta'd KRU team is basically the same GP as a maxed GG/Sep droid team (yes, with g12 zB1 and g12 Droideka).

Any system that uses GP is inherently flawed because of the above points. That is, GP doesn't actually measure anything meaningful when it comes to how teams perform on either defense or offense.

When saying -far worse- have you ever played a lean vs. fluffy match in the old algo? The disparities were huge.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

I'm not saying the current match making algorithm is perfect by any means just that it is significantly better than the straight GP algorithm we had before it and I'm happy for the improvements.

I hope they continue to dial it in, but I still want a diverse set of competitors as well. If everyone in your bracket has the same rosters the repetitive fights would be mundane and boring so there has to be some differences allowed in roster make up.

The alternative is to rework all characters so that they all have the usefulness of Malak, but if all characters were equally useful there would be no need to buy or create new characters and the game would die. So that is not really a viable strategy for staying in business.

Or they should nef every toon so that they has as much usefulness as double zeta KRU.
  • Options
    No_Try wrote: »

Or they should nef every toon so that they has as much usefulness as double zeta KRU.

Does getting hit with a "nef" bat hurt?

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

Does getting hit with a "nef" bat hurt?

It shouldn't, def as a bat.
  • Options
    I love it when you edit your post due to a typo and then it disappears for the approval committee to review... It's a rare drop but it happens... like a full carbanti in the bronziums. Then it takes days for it to reappear in the thread. Just so awesome.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    I love it when you edit your post due to a typo and then it disappears for the approval committee to review... It's a rare drop but it happens... like a full carbanti in the bronziums. Then it takes days for it to reappear in the thread. Just so awesome.

You can get them back fast since we have a mod who sleeps on the forum. Just pm him with the topic link.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

When saying -far worse- have you ever played a lean vs. fluffy match in the old algo? The disparities were huge.

Honestly, can't say that I did - or if I did, I didn't notice. And as a launch player with several "now unneeded" toons, I am probably the one with a "fluffy" roster - and never was this mismatched. And it's not close - so, at least from my experience, far worse still fits.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

Honestly, can't say that I did - or if I did, I didn't notice. And as a launch player with several "now unneeded" toons, I am probably the one with a "fluffy" roster - and never was this mismatched. And it's not close - so, at least from my experience, far worse still fits.

I'm way more fluffier than you xD, that factors in. Anyway, everything else in these 2 algos are the same besides which portion of the GP they consider. Both the toon, mod and G13 disparities would be the same under both MM...as far as we know what goes into them. And as you by now, I also think neither algos suffice to consider almost anything important in the game. But I simply can't agree this one is -way worse-, it's similarly bad, just emphasizing different portions of the population. And it's not like it favors a certain inclination under this algo, a 4.x m gp roster also gets matched with 5.5 m+ gp rosters where we can't even talk about fluff anymore, the former is the fluffy one.
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    I had a horrible GAC round last time but only two Malaks. This time it's only one Malak and he's not even 7* while only half of the 6 of 8 have DR but only two are higher than G11. It more and more feels that it's getting more equalized over time.
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Options

Why is it worse than what it was before though? Your complaints above are 100% accurate, but since both systems are based on that same GP it applies equally to both.

I still think we should go to an ELO style rating system. Use GP to set initial rankings, but then let match outcomes be the main factor in who you play in the future. You play people who are as good as you are, regardless of what their roster looks like. It also incentivizes roster growth instead of penalizing it.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

Why is it worse than what it was before though? Your complaints above are 100% accurate, but since both systems are based on that same GP it applies equally to both.

I still think we should go to an ELO style rating system. Use GP to set initial rankings, but then let match outcomes be the main factor in who you play in the future. You play people who are as good as you are, regardless of what their roster looks like. It also incentivizes roster growth instead of penalizing it.

Using total GP as a paradigm anywhere doesn't incentivize roster growth, it does the reverse. Current league restricted matchmaking is doing rating system idea...very roughly at that, but it's still in place already.
  • Options

Using total GP as a paradigm anywhere doesn't incentivize roster growth, it does the reverse. Current league restricted matchmaking is doing rating system idea...very roughly at that, but it's still in place already.

The leagues aren’t very restrictive though, and it’s still seems to be matched on GP within the league. This is the final round and we seem to have about 3k people in Aurodium Division 1. That’s not a very exclusive group for the “finals”.

And for the previous grouping, obviously everyone starts out at carbinite so you can face anyone. 4K-11k is bronzium, which is a range and means everyone will be bronzium for the 2nd grouping. It’s too wide a range.

You get the same situation with Chromium for the 3rd pairing at 11-24k points. With 6 matches, someone who is 6-0 will be around 18-20k or so. Someone who is 0-6 can easily top 11k points. So only the absolute bottom of the group is trimmed out. It’s not until the 4th grouping that you start to narrow down the potential opponents to someone who is close to your ability, and as I said above, it’s not all that exclusive for being the final round.