Good Job EA, another one bites the dust.

Prev1
Aqsticgod
3 posts Member
edited March 2016
Disclaimer: I have read almost all post concerning the pros and cons of this game, i have played the game for a considerable amount of time to give it a proper review based on user complains/praises as well as my own experience. This is completely my opinion in terms of a review from a user, so there is no need for flaming or insults, i will keep and eye on this post and report anyone who misbehaves and decides to be mean for means sake. If you have a problem with my words, then feel free to give constructive comments instead of insulting.

First i would like to start off with i do like the game. Although it lacks any depth to it, it is still fun and a good boredom killer when you want something light and quick. The range of characters are cool, and their abilities are interesting(albeit some don't match with the films/series). But still the game has a nice lighthearted-ness to it that keeps it fresh. HOWEVER, the game is a MASSIVE grind. Allow me to elaborate:

The game starts you off pretty nicely, showing you the ropes and giving you access to useful characters, but after a certain point you get affected by the RNG of the game, giving you somewhat "low tier characters". Now that wouldn't be a problem, if it weren't for the fact that the game goats you into spending money to "speed the process of growth". Character shards, energy usage for battles(which don't regenerate completely upon leveling, something many other games with the same format do) and the amount of credits you have to spend for leveling characters is extremely demanding.

The game starts off easy enough, then there is a sudden spike in difficulty that honestly feels like it wants you to spend so you can overcome it. Yes you can spend no money and achieve everything, but it takes months to do so(as stated by many F2Pers) instead of weeks at a time. I don't mind the grind, if it weren't for the fact that its completely unfair and very time consuming. Not everyone has the time to dedicate such focus on a game this simple and bland. Especially since there is no real story to it. The daily activities can be done in the span of 20 minutes giving you nothing else to do in game for another 24 hours, making it also very slow to level up, as well as grind shards, credits, and crystals, which also makes progression extremely low. You unlock galactic war at level 40, but halfway through you face opponents with better equipment and higher levels than you, which again goats you into spending money on crystals or chromium packs to get better stuff, or to regenerate energy to keep grinding.

Every time you spend on energy the price doubles next time you attempt to pay for it with premium currency, which again its a shameless money grab. Sure you can wait, but even leaving the phone overnight(minimum 8 hours, as is the norm in terms of sleep) energy does not fully regenerate. You only get huge amounts of credits by completing achievements, or dailies. Which honestly in the nodes themselves you don't really get much, and from level 1-40, its impossible to properly manage it because you spend it all on leveling characters, both through training droids and upgrading their star level. Character shards are a joke to get, the prices on the shipments(GW, CB) considering the very little you get from nodes vs the price placed(i don't mind waiting a few hours for refresh, but not if i have to spend a lot to get the amount i need for said character). The drop rate on nodes as well are discouraging, it feels like a 5% chance. Every 10 battles i get maybe 1 or 2 shards, and sometimes i don't get anything. That makes the game a little unfair for F2P users. Making this game P2W.

On that note, people in the top 50 in arena feel like P2W players, or people who abused/cheated the RNG(i know its not impossible to cheat despite what devs say) or people who got extremely lucky(which defeats the purpose of balance and the RNG) and again goats you into paying for the game. IF THIS IS THE CASE, then put a price on the game in appstore or google play, because if you want money that much, don't change the game to make it an IAP monger. I have not spend a single dime on this game, and i'm glad i did, the point of F2P is that both people that pay and that don't should have the same chance and same struggle, and paying for the game should be to advance in certain areas, not get all the good stuff to snowball new players or F2P players that want to enjoy the game at the leisure.

I have not unlocked the shard shop, but based on many people in the forums and online, apparently its a joke, giving you close to nothing in terms of shopping. There is no use for credits either other than crafting(which is confusing as heck) end leveling characters, and the amount you use is far greater than the amount you get, which is again another way to fool you into paying money for the game so you can advance. Everything this game does feels like its pay for this pay for that, so you don't have to struggle. And again i don't mind the struggle if the game was fair which it isn't, this game is about who has the higher level character and the higher gear and attack, no real strategy aside from heal when health is low. Just be sure to have better everything than your opponent, be it AI(which is broken beyond comprehension) or other users.

Again, based on forum posts this game wasn't like this, and it feels that the only people who don't complain about any of this are people who either do have the cash to spare, or people who have gotten ridiculously lucky with drops and packs. Which of course doesn't make them see all of this in a objective matter because they have all they want. I deleted this game, i even deleted the game center achievements, i don't want to see it anywhere in my phone because it just feels like another money grab by you guys EA, you have to stop this method, its ruining our views of you, and this isn't the only game affected by your bad decisions(go to the SWTOR forums and you will see what i mean) Even if you fix the game, i wont download it again. Because i'm already disappointed, and with something that shouldn't be a money grab. IAP, dlc's, etc, they work if done right, not if the game is tailored to be buy stuff, be better, that's both insulting and unfair to loyal customers and to gamers. Not because i couldn't get what i wanted, but because it felt like i needed to spend ridiculous amounts of money to get ahead in a game that used to the quite the opposite. And a game that lacks any real substance for that matter.

In short this game is a massive grindfest that is tailored to people who don't value the dollar and simply spend blindly to get the good stuff, its a game that even though its fun, its not heavy enough to merit such a P2W method, and only the people who have had the wondrous luck(to which i think are hacks because come on, seriously, 50/50 on "i barely get anything" and "omg i got all i needed without paying") and the people who pay get to fully enjoy the rewards and benefits of this game.

P.S.: Just because it has Star Wars in the title, doesn't excuse you from pulling of this stuff, and to be honest the title is the only thing giving you any attention, this where any other type game, it would have been discarded by week two of launch.
Post edited by Hozilla on

Replies

• I tend to enjoy this game, bye.
  • I never said i didnt enjoy it, im giving it an objective look. I do like it even though its bland, it light and fun, when things are fair. Sometimes i would 2 star a mission and do it over with the same team and get the 3 stars. the main point of this review is looking at it objectively. The fact that i delete it is a personal thing, everything else is review without bias. All i spoke about you will find in other reviews/forum posts and im applying my two cents on the matter.
  • DV_27
    967 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm f2p and been finishing in the top 10 every day for the last 2 months. And I enjoy the grind for characters like Rey and anakin. But anyway that's just my view and you have yours :)
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Well yes, this is a free game. What did you expect from it?
    For a free game, f2p are actually not that behind.
    To me, this is a good mobile game, and it remains fair for non-paying users.
  • You made an account to post 8 pages of text knocking a mobile game. I don't know what kind of response you are looking for. It's a grind, and a money grab. All mobile f2p games are. I'll see if I can get a going away party together for you. I'm sure the devs would be happy to personally thank you for money you put into the game. Also the word is goad. Not goat. Thanks again for all of your contributions.
  • Free to play and sniped rank 1 at payout today!

Normally sit around top 20. Anyway - it's doable. QGJ baaabeeeee
    Tekken 7
  • Aqsticgod
    3 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    You made an account to post 8 pages of text knocking a mobile game. I don't know what kind of response you are looking for. It's a grind, and a money grab. All mobile f2p games are. I'll see if I can get a going away party together for you. I'm sure the devs would be happy to personally thank you for money you put into the game. Also the word is goad. Not goat. Thanks again for all of your contributions.

first of, thank you for correcting me with goad. second you dont have to be a ****. third i didnt pay a single dime. fourth, i know all F2P games have IAP for stuffs, but that doesnt it make it just when the game barely gives you any reward for playing for free(and im not talking giving me everything, but balancing the effort put into it).
  • Nemesis6870
    92 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I agree ...everyone has an opinion and that is to be respected....
    Just because someone expresses their opinion does not mean insults to be applied.
    Not to say I agree or disagree with you....
    I for one know that money spent is money gone....I enjoy the game for what it is....a grind....a time killer....and I love collecting the toons :-)
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    All I can recommend is you do what a friend of mine did...

He used to play hearthstone and did his utmost to try to get me to play it... but it being a Blizzard product and hence a part of Activision I told him "in a cold day in hell" Anyhow.. he spent a fair bit of money on that... and recently got a bit upset with the game... I didn't follow exactly what his issue was... as I had told him in the past anything to do with Activision or Blizzard.. I'm not interested...Needless to say he got very annoyed and angry over something they did... Yeah I had to resist giving him the full "I told you so about Activision/Blizzard sack of excrement"

So he went and got himself a PSP... and as far as he was concerned... it was the best thing ever... As opposed to spending a couple of hundred of dollars on a mobile game he spends a fraction of it on a single game for the PSP... And according to him... it's a higher and better quality..

As far as I'm concerned the mobile game industry is a very competitive market... probably more so than the handhelds... It's only really a matter of time it self implodes on itself if what my friend's views on the mobile game industry is anything to go by and his subsequent experience.

There are a few games on the mobile that do well.. not that many, I can probably count them on one hand...

SWGOH... has potential... but I also don't put a lot of expectation into the game... Star wars games have a fairly decent list of games that just weren't that good. For every good star wars game there is about five utter garbage ones... Star Wars Yoda Stories on the PC anyone?!

Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • I'm f2p in top 20. You don't need to cheat to compete. It can be a grind if you want something for nothing. It's not a charity. You sound like my bro. He wants a job with all the work picked out and all the pay put in.
  • I'm with you AQ really disappointed with this game after 3 months of daily grind. I've spent £500+ on the game and feel ive wasted my money. I played SWFC for over a year and never got bored or frustrated. I played avengers contest of champions for over a year and loved it. Never asked for a refund or rage quit those games. I agree with your review and will be asking for a refund.
    A real shame because the premise of the game and some parts of it are great. EA money grabbing has ruined it for me.
  • Aqsticgod wrote: »
    I never said i didnt enjoy it, im giving it an objective look. I do like it even though its bland, it light and fun, when things are fair. Sometimes i would 2 star a mission and do it over with the same team and get the 3 stars. the main point of this review is looking at it objectively. The fact that i delete it is a personal thing, everything else is review without bias. All i spoke about you will find in other reviews/forum posts and im applying my two cents on the matter.

This look is not objective. It is riddled with subjective comments based on your feelings related to the game. Many F2P players did not have these same experiences as you've seen. This game takes strategic planning which this post clearly outlines your lack of. Good luck and hopefully you will find an easier game.
  • This is just another rant from a f2p. Not objective at all and I don't blame you, it's your personal opinion. I just don't think you understand the game, it's managing resources, it's all about the grind and the collecting. Being number 1 in the arena is nice, because you'll be able to collect characters faster with the crystals and extra tokens. It's a collecting game. And you contradict yourself, you say it's very time consuming. Yet the next sentence you claim to finish all activities in 20 minutes and then you have to wait 24 hours...
    Well good luck finding a different game
  • Nerfherder17
    2094 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Regrettably I read the whole thing. I know you didn't pay a dime. You downloaded a free game, played it, didn't like it. I would argue that you are the reason the world is falling apart. Taking something that is free and going out of your way to dump on it on a forum where people enjoy it because they didn't give you what you wanted fast enough. You have contributed nothing to the game or the forum, and its clear that you never will. Why waste more of your precious time on this? You could have easily left your review on Google play or apple store where it belongs. Go there, leave your 1 star rating, and move on.
  • Robdd
    111 posts Member
    I'm ftp also started off pretty far behind around 1000 arena, then realized about refreshing the energy that helped greatly, plus farm the right toons. I've managed to get down between 60-80 every day. I feel could definately get into the top 20 inside of a week or so.
    The game can be a grind and I admit to get down had to obess with it, never missing shipments or free energy. But I don't feel you have to pay for anything in this game.
    If you want characters now you pay hence the Jedi pack. If you want to do the slow grind it takes a lot more time. But it's fun to plan ahead think which character do I go with next etc.. The flaw of the game is once you unlock a character you really can't play with it for sometime, have to build it up.
  • Widget why you wasting your time replying to the thread that's a waste of time?
    Post a stormtrooper for yourself "move along"
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    DarthRichy wrote: »
    Widget why you wasting your time replying to the thread that's a waste of time?

Easy. Widget is the man.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Why are wasting your time telling me I'm wasting my time in a thread about wasting time?
    I'm playing the game. I'm buying content. I'm occasionally contributing helpful things to the forum. The OP quit playing and you are asking for a refund. You ordered a steak and ate the whole thing. Now you want your money back. You are worse than the guy that begged for a free steak and wants to complain about how it tastes.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Regrettably I read the whole thing. I know you didn't pay a dime. You downloaded a free game, played it, didn't like it. I would argue that you are the reason the world is falling apart. Taking something that is free and going out of your way to dump on it on a forum where people enjoy it because they didn't give you what you wanted fast enough. You have contributed nothing to the game or the forum, and its clear that you never will. Why waste more of your precious time on this? You could have easily left your review on Google play or apple store where it belongs. Go there, leave your 1 star rating, and move on.

^^ Exactly this!
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • xJazzx
    808 posts Member
    How much have you paid so farfar?
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

Easy. Widget is the man.

Ah that's sweet your sticking up for him
  • DarthRichy wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Easy. Widget is the man.

As i said, i contribute here. you dont. Take your 14 posts, go beg for your undeserved refund, and crawl back under your bridge.
  • I liked the goat bit. EA, the goat, ramming players to push them to buy those terrible chromiums.

I've been keeping track of the shard drop rates. It's been around 32%. Even with a few horrible periods, total rates have been about 1/3. I don't keep track of the gear drops, but the purples feel very bad.
  • Welcome to the forums.
  • Goodbye threads are OT

Easy. Widget is the man.

As i said, i contribute here. you dont. Take your 14 posts, go beg for your undeserved refund, and crawl back under your bridge.

Nice, if everyone on here is like you I won't be missing out on much. Thanks for your "contribution".
  • Jsnazz
    349 posts Member
    Aqsticgod wrote: »

Again, based on forum posts this game wasn't like this, and it feels that the only people who don't complain about any of this are people who either do have the cash to spare, or people who have gotten ridiculously lucky with drops and packs.

In short this game is a massive grindfest that is tailored to people who don't value the dollar and simply spend blindly to get the good stuff, its a game that even though its fun, its not heavy enough to merit such a P2W method.
    Many may disagree but I must say well put and good rant.

You're the few lucky one who have the strengths to uninstalled this game but for many of us ( addicts ), its hell on earth while living under a candy house illusion. This game is a full time job and we're paying to work. The other half pay with their times.

• This game is extremely successful.

All mobile games are supposed to be repetitive and we should not expect to see new features every day. There is nothing wrong if mobile games are money-orientated, if not, who would pay for the programmers doing the game? They are doing this for a living, not charity.

Yes this game involves a lot of grinding, FTP should appreciate this. If the game progresses super fast all the PTP palyers can buy crystals and max out everything within a week, then I do not see FTP stand a chance to beat them. All the top tier toons like Lumi,Rey,GS,QGJ,Sid,Phasma,Poe,RG,Poggle,Ig86.yoda,douku are completely FTP and many of them are extremely easy to farm. There are some chromium exclusive toons but they are not significantly better than FTP toons. PTP need to spend a huge amount to have a clear advantage over FTP, but when everyone reaches level 70,7 star the advantage is no more.

I have encountered so many games that players cannot even reach the max level without paying money. So many games that FTP has no chance to win PTP.

Long-term planning and strategies are more important, I always do some simple calculation to better use my resources. I am not entirely FTP, I spend less than 200 and yet, I am consistently top 5,high chance #1 in my payout time, and I clear GW everyday. I do some simple math before investing on a toon and I never have credit shortage. I put myself at a comfortable position and enjoy the game.

Easy. Widget is the man.

Nice, if everyone on here is like you I won't be missing out on much. Thanks for your "contribution".
    Go read through your posts and pick out the one that is helpful rather that the other 12 that are crying about some aspect of the game. Now look through my posts and find the ones where I have answered incoming questions, diagnosed issues, posted percentages, tips, and advise. Now come back with with some actual information on how I interact, rather that your sarcastic "thank you for your contribution"
This discussion has been closed.