"Kick me" Sign on my back

Toukai
1822 posts Member
I was curious if anyone has found arena rankings a bit odd at the higher tiers. Most notably, I will go a full week without losing much rating. I normally hover around #100 or so (older server with a bunch of whales, and since I am F2P i am pretty sure im gonna stay there).

Anyways, I will stay around #100 and when I wake up in the morning I will be maybe #170/200, which is fine. I grind my way down to #100 again for payouts. This will go on for about a week or two. Then, for no reason what so ever, I wake up and am at #500+.

Like, what's the deal with that? I havent changed my team, my comp, any characters, or anything. Its just like I wake up one day and everyone on my server is like "Yea, let's just mess with this guy in particular."

I just find it weird 0_o

Replies

• I have said the same thing. drastic drops for 1-3 days and then right back to normal. There are a few things going on that would explain consistant drops on a daily basis, but these huge drops for short periods of time are harder to explain. I know they have said they dont merge shards, and AI doesn't get a bonus, but they have been saying these things since day one. Maybe they are in a position where then cannot back out of that statement. If they say its true now then they have been lying to us for months and the forum erupts. I don't see how you can have a set number of people on a shard who all start the game at the same time, and over the course of 4 months not account for people that have uninstalled the game, quit playing daily, or stopped playing arena. At a certain point the 100,000 people that were on a shard (guessing) will become 20,000 serious competitors. right?
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I think it might just be due to refreshes and a reaction to said refresh - creating a domino effect.

One person refreshes and defeats five more people, those 5 get angry that 'they have dropped so much' so three of them refresh. Then those three anger five more and three of them refresh. Now you've got 13 people refreshing all at the same time. Then those 9 anger 5 more then 3 more each refresh. That's 18 people. Then those 18 cause 3 more refreshes each. That's 87 players doing 5 more battles in only a few hours. That's why there is so much turbulence all in one day, then quiet for a couple of days.
    Post edited by cosmicturtle333 on
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Yea, thats why I find it odd. I started almost when this game came out, been playing for about 3-4 months now. If the shards remain the same, then i would expect to be in a higher bracket as even whales move on and stop playing.

It may also be that when people stop playing for a period, they close that server for that person and move new people into the new server to keep it "fresh." Obviously that is speculation but it's just weird that without changing anything on my side I have to spend a week or so just moving back into the #100 slots.

I am by no means complaining, was just wondering if there is some kinda kick me sign on my back haha :D
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    @cosmicturtle333

That actually makes some sense. It's definitely possible. I don't see why they have to target me tho!

I actually was on once when I dropped from #119 to like #130. I immediately found the #119 guy and took back my slot. He didn't mess with me again after that :P
  • I would agree with cosmic if everyone got a notification when they lost an arena battle, but most people dont check often enough to notice unless it is within an hour of payout time. I check arena while coffee is brewing, generally 4:30 am. I look again at lunch. 11am most days. and then at 5:45pm i will start my climb back up the ranks. If i happen to see something out of the norm i usually don't go straight into arena battle, i just make a mental note that maybe i need to start my climb a little earlier than 5:45.
  • Fantazy
    553 posts Member
    Did you drop further on weekend? Saturday and Sunday I always drop much further, more people playing arena all at once I'd say.
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • That is the weird part too. I would assume sunday morning would be the biggest drop because a lot of players are off work. This sunday i dropped to 10th place. I normally drop to around 20 or 25. Then there is a tuesday night once a month that i drop to 80.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    @Fantazy Surprisingly, I actually drop the LEAST on the weekends. I always assumed it was because people went out and had lives instead of playing on their phones at work.

This has only really happened to me about 4-5 times over the course of me starting the game. It happened to me last week around wednesday or something, but I felt like starting a thread on it because I am bored at work :)

I also just RECENTLY recovered and am back at #119 from my horrible arena drop last week :)
  • Fantazy
    553 posts Member
    Every server seems to have its own dynamics and types of teams :) saturday and sunday on mine are really really busy!
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • I think it might just be due to refreshes and a reaction to said refresh - creating a domino effect.

One person refreshes and defeats five more people, those 5 get angry that 'they have dropped so much' so three of them refresh. Then those three anger five more and three of them refresh. Now you've got 13 people refreshing all at the same time. Then those 9 anger 5 more then 3 more each refresh. That's 18 people. Then those 18 cause 3 more referees each. That's 87 players doing 5 more battles in only a few hours. That's why there is so much turbulence all in one day, then quiet for a couple of days.

This is by far, the most logical theory I've heard for this.
  • Fantazy
    553 posts Member
    I think it might just be due to refreshes and a reaction to said refresh - creating a domino effect.

One person refreshes and defeats five more people, those 5 get angry that 'they have dropped so much' so three of them refresh. Then those three anger five more and three of them refresh. Now you've got 13 people refreshing all at the same time. Then those 9 anger 5 more then 3 more each refresh. That's 18 people. Then those 18 cause 3 more refreshes each. That's 87 players doing 5 more battles in only a few hours. That's why there is so much turbulence all in one day, then quiet for a couple of days.

parenthesis to this discussion:

@cosmicturtle333 your description above reminded me of this video about traffic jams - it makes sense!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Mittens
    967 posts Member
    Since the update I've dropped further than normal. I usually go from 1-3 to top 10, maybe 12-13. Now I am going from 1-3 to 23-25. It's like suddenly a new wave of players from odd payoff times started competing. I know it's not just me, cause my other top 5 buddies are there with me. It's easy to get back to the top ranks without much fuss, and haven't needed to refresh, but it's still weird. I blame EA. Cause why not.
  • I dont see arena as being so competitive that you are watching it literally all day to see if you got bumped. I would be surprised if the majority checked it 6 times a day, let alone every hour on the hour. So if 15th bumped 11th and used his other 4 battles he would be in 1st place and well out of reach of the person he bumped by the time they responded. Thats why it pays to use all you battles at once. you rocket past those not paying attention, then you are out of their grasp for retribution.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    @Widget_gaget

I am not as high in the rankings as others, but I burn all my battles at once as well.

As for checking, I only really check when it's time to do battle haha. I only open my game maybe once a day for about an hour,finish all my objectives, then not turn it on again till the next day.
  • Yeah, i feel like that is pretty typical. There's not a lot of "take backs" and retribution unless were talking the hour before payouts. You can get from probably 70th place to 1st with one refresh if you battle the highest rank possible and win all 10 battles. That isnt to say that in that hour to two hours you play, that 25th place falls all the way to 70. the biggest factor that decides how far you fall is how much more intimidating is your team than those around you? if your team is scary they will chose to fight the person behind you for a easy win rather than risk a loss. So back to the original topic of losing huge amounts of positions, why would my maxed team scare players in the top 10, but be an easy target for those in 112th place?
  • I have had the same thing happen.

Most days I finish at pay out in top 4 and fall to low to mid teens when I start my climb back up for payouts then a couple of days in a row came by and I was falling to high 20's which never happened to me before. Plus I have noticed some new names at the top of the leader board that I have not seen before.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    I dont see arena as being so competitive that you are watching it literally all day to see if you got bumped. I would be surprised if the majority checked it 6 times a day, let alone every hour on the hour. So if 15th bumped 11th and used his other 4 battles he would be in 1st place and well out of reach of the person he bumped by the time they responded. Thats why it pays to use all you battles at once. you rocket past those not paying attention, then you are out of their grasp for retribution.
    But it doesn't need to be everybody. If you just happen to fall in the max attack range for one of the aggressive players it could start Turtle's domino for you.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Rolf wrote: »
    I dont see arena as being so competitive that you are watching it literally all day to see if you got bumped. I would be surprised if the majority checked it 6 times a day, let alone every hour on the hour. So if 15th bumped 11th and used his other 4 battles he would be in 1st place and well out of reach of the person he bumped by the time they responded. Thats why it pays to use all you battles at once. you rocket past those not paying attention, then you are out of their grasp for retribution.
    But it doesn't need to be everybody. If you just happen to fall in the max attack range for one of the aggressive players it could start Turtle's domino for you.

I agree its probably a domino. I just cant imagine being around #100 and going to #500. I dont feel like there is THAT much competition on my server. Once I get shoved out of the #200 bracket, you'd figure all those people who lost rating would be back to where they were originally.

It could also be bad luck that I am the lowest rated for people trying to climb and I just happen to be the easier fight.

Again, not really a complaining thread, I was just curious if there were people who saw little activity for weeks then just get slammed into the wall :)