I thought it would be useful for noobs to have a glossary for terms we use on the regular, but may have people new to the forums scratching their heads.
I'm gonna start with character abbreviations; I'll add more later when I have time. CC
- Chief ChirpaCS
- Clone SergeantCUP
- Coruscant Underworld PoliceEE
- Ewok ElderES
- Ewok ScoutFOO
- First Order OfficerFOST
- First Order StormtrooperFOTP
- First Order TIE PilotGG
- General GrievousGS
- Geonosian SoldierJC
- Jedi ConsularLumi
- Luminara UnduliQGJ
- Qui-Gon JinnRG
- Royal GuardRP
- Resistance PilotRT
- Resistance TrooperSid
- Darth SidiousSTH/ST Han
- Stormtrooper HanTR
- Tusken Raider
A few others:AoE
- Area of Effect; basically, an attack that deals damage to all of your opponent's toonsEA
- Electronic Arts, the devsCG
- Capital Games, the other devsDevs
- the game developersDOT
- Damage Over TimeDPS
- Damage Per Second; since GoH is a turn-based game that is not entirely dependent on time, the "per second" part may be misleading. Essentially, a character with high DPS is one that can deal the most amount of damage in the least amount of time (in other words, per turn; however, if your toon has an ability that affects Turn Meter, it may still do more DPS).Farming
- (SEE "Grinding")F2P or FTP
- free-to-play; players who play without spending a dimeGrinding
- endlessly hitting SIM until your gear drops or your shard drops
(SEE ALSO: "Boring")GW
- Galactic WarNerf
- to make a hero soft or "squishy", like a Nerf football; routinely used by devs to make room for new characters or to balance the game, particularly for characters considered "OP"OP
- Over-Powered, or Original Poster (depending on how it's used)Poll
- what players make when they're bored; they often forget the most popular optionsP2P
- Pay-to-Play (SEE ALSO: Whales)PVP
- Player vs Player
In GoH, there are two types of PVP: Galactic War and Squad Arena; Squad Arena is more direct, but neither offers true, live PVP.RNG
- Random Number Generator
Algorithm designed to generate random numbersRNGsus
- affectionate name for RNG, due to its god-like appearance (SEE ALSO: "Lord Jesus")(SW)GoH
- (Star Wars) Galaxy of HeroesThen stop playing(?)
- phrase often reserved for "whining" (see below) or for players threatening to "quit the game" (SEE ALSO: "Bye, Felicia")Toon
- hero or character, affectionately called "toon" due to their 2D representation (and because it's shorter)Urban Dictionary
- a website where you could have looked up most of these, save for specific toons (SEE ALSO: "Google", "giyf", "jfgi", "lmgtfy")Whales
- big spenders; often hated and ridiculed by F2P playersWhining
- what players do when they consider a particular player to be "OP"
Did I miss anything? Comments? Suggestions?
Added "DPS". The meaning of "meta" varies greatly, depending on who's explaining it. When I get a handle on it myself, I'll add it.
Meta = Speed-DPS?
This is wrong, it's (SW)GoH - (Star Wars) Galaxy of Heroes
Oops. Nice catch!
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
Or the more appropriate:
fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat.
Edit: I had to look up the non-fishing version