Ships are dead

Ships are in such a bad place right now they don't even have a place in the forums for true discussion. They've unfortunately been stale for almost the entirety of the game. They have no true weight in how we play and are a burden when events come around that need ships like territory battles and such.

Pilots are the issue. Lore wise having a strong pilot gives you a strong ship, but this was the biggest problem in the ship development. Take away pilots. Reset all current pilots to level 1 with no resources and give them back to us. Insane. I know seeing how many carbantis and stun guns thatll come flooding back into our pool. Take away the pilots and let ships stand on their own.

This will allow for ships to truly stand alone as a game mode I'd want to invest in. Change the mode to 5v5 again with no reinforcements. Change the reinforcement ability to 3 hardware augmentations instead and let us be 'mechanics' on our ships and tune them to how we want. Stronger ion shields or maybe stronger cannons. Maybe I want that extra boost for a quicker first turn or a targetting computer for more potency. Give us these customization options. This, alone, will make the mode more fun.

Without pilots you allow for more unique ships to come into the game. You've introduced the vulture droid as the first crewless ship. Makes sense since it truly has no pilot besides a computer but do this for all ships. Bring in turr phennirs tie interceptor. Soontir fel who was wedges rival in all things pilot related. Bring in the clone troopers LAAT or the droids trifighter. There are so many cool ships out there being stunted by the need for a pilot character. Remove the pilot and the mode opens up.

Lastly. Give us the death star run. We all want it. We know you as developers would love to see it go into production. You gave us the sith raid which was a ton of fun. Imagine fighting on the orbit of the death star in phase one fighting off waves of tie fighters and enduring incoming surface fire. Phase 2 you have to take out gun turrets and vital shielding systems. Phase 3 is the first half of the trench run cleaning out more turrets and fighting off more tie fighters. Phase 4, Vader and his impressive tie advanced.

I can't imagine ships is even close to popular after the reinforcement update and I struggle to think that it'll be popular with the release of these capital ships, first general kenobi and now Grevious capital ship.

You've tried to rework the game mode once but it was too little. The mode needs a massive overhaul and I'm sure a lot of people can agree on the points above this is what we would love to see.

I hope you all took the time to read this through and share the same passion I do for star wars and even the ships in the game.

Replies

• Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    No ships are just fine....wouldn't mind seeing more dropped but it's a fun mode. Taking away the pilots would be ridiculous and obviously wont happen because it allows players who want to compete in fleet more aggressively to have an advantage over those who choose to ignore the mode.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    Kokie wrote: »
    No ships are just fine....wouldn't mind seeing more dropped but it's a fun mode. Taking away the pilots would be ridiculous and obviously wont happen because it allows players who want to compete in fleet more aggressively to have an advantage over those who choose to ignore the mode.

Ships is not just fine. No need to take pilots away or anything like that, we just need more ships that create a Rock Paper Scissors meta. Oh and increase the crystal payouts across all levels as it’s takes more resources to make a successful fleet.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    The counter to that last point is that the competition is generally less fierce for those crystals. I know not every shard is the same but ships shards are 10% the size of arena shards. Anecdotally there are lots of ship shards that are a wasteland outside the top 20. Not so much in squad.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kokie wrote: »

Ships is not just fine. No need to take pilots away or anything like that, we just need more ships that create a Rock Paper Scissors meta. Oh and increase the crystal payouts across all levels as it’s takes more resources to make a successful fleet.

In general it takes less ressources/effort to stay at top ranks in fleet arena, since fleet META changes less frequently. Once your fleet is complete, you will benefit from it for a looooong time.

Ships are fine. I'm fine with a more stale fleet META.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    TVF wrote: »
    The counter to that last point is that the competition is generally less fierce for those crystals. I know not every shard is the same but ships shards are 10% the size of arena shards. Anecdotally there are lots of ship shards that are a wasteland outside the top 20. Not so much in squad.

I dunno about other shards, can only speak for my own, and it’s gotten a hell of a lot more competitive since the meta hasn’t changed in forever. It does take more resources to stay at the top now because everyone has the same fleet which doesn't hold well on defense, so there’s a huge climb everyday. Dunno why it started out at 100 crystals less for #1 and it shouldn’t matter about the activity of a shard. They want more people to engage ship, increase the payout.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Interesting, I guess it varies greatly.
    My squad arena is an early (near launch) shard. Lots of early players quit and of those who are left, we work together pretty peacefully.

Fleet on the other hand, is a mess. Everyone has **** by now and there is way more competition.