GAC Macthmaking and League System

So I usually don’t write a lot but the last GA rounds **** me of so badly that I didn’t even miss almost not playing the last couple of days, and that even though I used to love that game. So here’s my humble opinion on what needs to improve:
Matchmaking: I do not want to say all too much about it other than that, the current form of matchmaking sucks. Going up against players that not only have 1 million GP more than you but that also have toons like G13 Drevan and G13 General Grievous while you do not even have them at all doesn’t really seem to be fair. I really thought about how the matchmaking could be improved but the problem is that it goes back to one essential flaw of the game. With the introduction of overpowered toons like JKR or DRevan you subverted your own power measurement, i.e. the guild power. Consequently, your GP, which was supposed to be the central measure for how good a player is, does no longer say much about you. However, it could still be starting point for GAC in my mind, just with a different league system and more fights, especially with higher GP to give people with more depth an advantage.
League System: In its current form, the GAC is still nothing else than a random and arbitrary number of fights. Why do you not just plain and simple pick one of the thousand tournament systems that exist on earth and implement it? You could e.g. have groups (all within a certain GP range) where everyone fights against each other and the one with the most wins (and most banners as second priority) gets the overall win of this round. Winners move one League up, losers go one league down. Plain and simple. I also don’t get why these feats should be considered in your league rank. They have nothing to do with your power, so why should they be considered in your rank? Why not just make them regular quests? That way we would also have some new quests which otherwise seem not to be updated anymore?
I really hope you find some solutions to make GAC and the overall more fun again.
Thanks and all the best

Replies

• Perfect
  • Facing G13 GG and DR while you don't have them is still completely fair. You could have them, had you made different choices while developing your roster. Facing higher GP is also fair, as long as most of that GP comes from the so called 'fluff'.

Interdivision matchmaking and facing 150+ G12 toons while you have 80 is what throws off proper match ups and normal climbing on the leaderboard.
  • Facing G13 GG and DR while you don't have them is still completely fair. You could have them, had you made different choices while developing your roster.

So making 'differant' decisions early in the game means you cannot enjoy it in the long term?
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • dimi4a wrote: »
    Facing G13 GG and DR while you don't have them is still completely fair. You could have them, had you made different choices while developing your roster. Facing higher GP is also fair, as long as most of that GP comes from the so called 'fluff'.

Interdivision matchmaking and facing 150+ G12 toons while you have 80 is what throws off proper match ups and normal climbing on the leaderboard.

Considering that there are many other players like him who don't have them as well, why must he face a player that has them? It's one thing facing a 3M GP player with JTR, CLS, Bounty Hunters and Nightsisters as his top teams, and something else entirely facing a 3M GP player with JKR, DRevan + Malak, Traya and Grievous as his top teams. A player's GP is not an accurate mesure of his roster's true strength, which sometimes leads to big matchmaking advantages and disadvantages for some players!

Well said.
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    dimi4a wrote: »
    Facing G13 GG and DR while you don't have them is still completely fair. You could have them, had you made different choices while developing your roster. Facing higher GP is also fair, as long as most of that GP comes from the so called 'fluff'.

A player's GP is not an accurate mesure of his roster's true strength, which sometimes leads to big matchmaking advantages and disadvantages for some players![color/]
    And yet divisions are grouped based on GP. As long as two players are fighting for the same rewards, one should not face only G13 DR teams while an objectively 'weaker' roster gets away with CLS and JKR mirrors.
    So making 'differant' decisions early in the game means you cannot enjoy it in the long term?
    Having or not having DR is not the result of an early game decision. Having G12 Tuskens while still farming for JKR would be more like one. With the algorythm, G8-10 early game toons barely bring any weight into match making, having G8 Jawas inflate yor GP is no longer an issue.

The choices you make should matter. If you saw how powerful JKR/DR are, it's your mistake that you kept pumping gear into ewoks, rounding out a G10-11 team that already got you C3PO, instead of getting ready for the second run of either Revan event.

If you could recover from any bad decision that affects a certain game mode in a matter of days/weeks, there would be no use aiming for the most efficient roster development.

• Facing G13 GG and DR while you don't have them is still completely fair. You could have them, had you made different choices while developing your roster. .
    That would be true and I was ok with it if he had the same GP. If you go up against someone who has 50% more GP, you can assume he has had the chance to play the game way longer than you and just had more time to get/gear them up.

I know that 50% will most likely always be disappointed with GA, but just imagine the GA system to be used in any given real sports event. That would e.g. mean NBA playoff matches are not based on the teams' ranks but on RNG. Nobody would accept that and that shows how ridiculous the current system is.

• dimi4a wrote: »
    dimi4a wrote: »

A player's GP is not an accurate mesure of his roster's true strength, which sometimes leads to big matchmaking advantages and disadvantages for some players![color/]
    And yet divisions are grouped based on GP. As long as two players are fighting for the same rewards, one should not face only G13 DR teams while an objectively 'weaker' roster gets away with CLS and JKR mirrors.

That's why the matchmaking system should also take into account not only the player's GP, but also the gear level of his characters, their mods and most importantly the number of Legendary/Raid/Journey characters in his roster. The aim for the matchmaking system is to be as close to balanced as possible, with those player advantages/disadvantages brought to a minimum.
    That's precisely why it shouldn't as long as divisions in their current form exist. Rosters with all meta teams unlocked should be at the top of the division.
  • OP, there’s a lot of other posts like this, so just know you are not alone lol. To be fair to CG, this MM system is better than all previous ones. To be realistic, using GP still sucks.

Until they adjust the GP used for MM, the quality of matchups will continue to be random. The leagues don’t help much either. Until the last round, almost everyone moves up together.

That being said, there’s probably not much that will be done, so you’ll either need to find joy in the good matchups that you get or just be a non-participant in GAC.

It’s pretty obvious that their intent is to reward spenders through GAC matchups. Just look at the rollout of g12 finishers at the same time as the new MM system. Moving to g13 only adds 200ish GP to someone that has roughly 20,000. No one can convince me that a g13 toon is only 1% better than a g12+5. At a very basic level, the mod set multipliers add more than 1% to stats. They could have increased the GP for g13 appropriately before the introduction and avoided a problem. They didn’t, so they probably are ok with g13 having virtually no impact on MM.