This idea can change the game, and matchmaking, forever.

Prev1
I had an epiphany earlier today and I felt like sharing this, while I was browsing the matchmaking thread for GAC and I saw more comments about GP not being a good metric for match ups, so I thought of a way it can be.

I think the power levels for characters are flawed so I came up with a more dynamic system which will be ever changing and it will determine the power of a character in their current form in the game.

For example, my JTR is g12 and she has 3 Zetas, her power is very high as a result but her relevance in the meta compared to my g13, single zeta Dark Bastila is significantly lower, and yet Bastila's power in game is significantly less than Rey. Similarly, my Jolee Bindo sits lower than many other double Zetas characters but he is what makes Jedi Revan squads work so his power should be much higher.

Instead of calculating a character's GP by the amount of abilities they have and how much they are upgraded you would calculate their GP by how useful they are in GAC. One of the squads I've criticized the most is the ewoks. If you have invested in ewoks with g12 and Zetas you probably have raised your GP significantly but the return isn't as high as some other squads with less total power. In this case the ewoks would take a GP hit, lowering their GP, while characters like Bastila, HK, Malak and Darth Revan would go way up in power due to their relevance in the meta. This would not change how they perform in combat, only the amount of GP the unit has. This should greatly increase the GP of the usual suspects we see in GA all the time while lowering the GP of characters who are usually not strong enough to compete.

Additionally I'd like to introduce "synergy GP", the idea is that there will be premade squad templates that if a player fills they will gain a big GP boost. For example: one template is going to be Darth Revan, Malak, Sith trooper, Bastila and HK, by getting all 5 to G12 you'll get a nice boost to your GP. Another template could be 5 g12 Geos, 5 G12 Separatist droids, 5G12 bounty Hunters, etc. The more powerful the faction the bigger the GP boost from the synergy.

Lastly the impact of low gear will be mitigated, a character's GP will scale faster with gear so adding pieces at low gear tiers should only increase the GP by a tiny amount, while at later gear stages we'll see a more progressive growth in power stats, which means that low gear characters won't have big impact on your GP. This will enable more fair matchmaking which will be based on a more reflective GP.

Replies

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Or learn how to use those ewoks
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I'm not sure the "synergy GP" works. If I read that correctly, I would have additional GP, just from using pre built teams in the team builder.

Wouldnt players just not use that to then have a lower GP?
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Ewoks are not worth the investment when those resources could have been spent on so many better things. Ewoks only pay off after you've geared all the squads that are better than them, which is almost all squads in the game.
  • Options
    Instead of calculating a character's GP by the amount of abilities they have and how much they are upgraded you would calculate their GP by how useful they are in GAC.

So, your brilliant epiphany hinges on CG doing something they very clearly said they didn't have any interest in doing?
    Q: Some characters are so much more powerful than others. Will matchmaking take this into consideration somehow?
    A: Tophat - Maybe in the future. We don't have any plans to introduce this into Matchmaking at this time. Making a matchmaking system that recognizes the state of the meta is (for us) tricky at this time. We've discussed it, but we want to see if we can make more general rule based changes first before we have to do this sort of "fixing".

Ok. Sure.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    I'm not sure the "synergy GP" works. If I read that correctly, I would have additional GP, just from using pre built teams in the team builder.

They won't have a reason to do it because more GP means higher bracket means better rewards. Also those teams will be meta , IDK what benefit a player could have from not gearing one of the 5 of their Darth Revan squad.
  • Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    Instead of calculating a character's GP by the amount of abilities they have and how much they are upgraded you would calculate their GP by how useful they are in GAC.

So, your brilliant epiphany hinges on CG doing something they very clearly said they didn't have any interest in doing?
    Q: Some characters are so much more powerful than others. Will matchmaking take this into consideration somehow?
    A: Tophat - Maybe in the future. We don't have any plans to introduce this into Matchmaking at this time. Making a matchmaking system that recognizes the state of the meta is (for us) tricky at this time. We've discussed it, but we want to see if we can make more general rule based changes first before we have to do this sort of "fixing".

Ok. Sure.

I hadn't see that, seem like the devs are being lazy on this one
  • Options

They won't have a reason to do it because more GP means higher bracket means better rewards. Also those teams will be meta , IDK what benefit a player could have from not gearing one of the 5 of their Darth Revan squad.

But there are more than 5 characters that can be used in a DR squad. How would the DR/DM/BSF/HK/GMY squad rate in your synergy GP?
  • Options

Ok. Sure.

I hadn't see that, seem like the devs are being lazy on this one

Pretty easy for the armchair quarterback to say.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Ewoks are not worth the investment when those resources could have been spent on so many better things. Ewoks only pay off after you've geared all the squads that are better than them, which is almost all squads in the game.

I guess I should talk about how many times I have won GA matches due to someone going 2 or 3 trys on my ewoks...
  • Options
    @BaldingHead90 have u thought about the impact of increasing gp on tb.

A rework of gp would lead to easier tb so cg would have to "adjust" the 1 2 and 3 star requirements for the new gp calculation.

This increase to tb goals wouldn't go over well with players. And I highly doubt cg will give us all more gp and keep the goalposts in the same spot.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

I guess, but if you dont change the algorithm to incorporate the changes you are stating, this literally does nothing for matchmaking.

You stated this is about matchmaking, if the synergy GP is not part of the matchmaking then it changes nothing. If it is, then not using team builder would lower a players GP for matchmaking and allow a player to work the system to get better/easier matchmaking.
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    Options
    No solution should be this complicated.
    An adidional .5 on the top X toons factored into the match-making should be sufficient
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

Does your ROI consider 3p0?
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options

Ok. Sure.

Nope they just want your g12 bistan to be worth even even even Moar than your g11 3z revan
    Real brainiacs
  • Options
    Paragraph 4

cbwapo9ttbsv.jpg

Paragraph 5

w2xpsrs7ga3d.jpg
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    So who is this entity determining how valuable characters are in GAC. CG? PwC? EY? The Players? Seems pretty subjective and determining that would be more controversial then the system itself.

This right here. The current GP system is based on numbers. It’s a systematic process. Your idea is 100% subjective, which takes all of the system out of it.
  • mellamoroberto
    259 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    So who is this entity determining how valuable characters are in GAC. CG? PwC? EY? The Players? Seems pretty subjective and determining that would be more controversial then the system itself.

Not saying I think OP's idea is the answer, but developers openly admit that they create and tweak characters and teams based on how strong they want them to be relative to other characters and teams. They also have data related to which entities are at the top of arena through the bottom, how often characters are used and in which configurations, etc., etc., etc.

Thus, those determinations have largely already been made, and the data necessary to determine actual power relative to other entities is there.

So does it make more sense for GP - with the "P" meaning power - to be based on actual power, or to be based on the fiction told by gear level, stars, and zetas? Even if the determinations are imperfect, a system that indicates my Bistan's power is greater than my Fallen Bastilla's isn't really measuring the power of those characters at all; one that differentiates between the two based on actual usefulness/power to some degree would give those GP numbers actual meaning.

It need not be perfect for it to be an improvement over current GP calculations, which would only be a meaningful way to compare characters if said characters were balanced... i.e. a game without the intentional meta concept.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    Let's face it.. no matter what they do to matchmaking, they will never make everyone happy.
  • Options
    There have been numerous obvious unintended interactions with even simple updates (paps vs malak, finn 3po, ect) do you really expect something like this to work out?

Its been stated before, you cant please everyone. What you can do is learn from your losses and optimize your roster for what we have.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    There have been numerous obvious unintended interactions with even simple updates (paps vs malak, finn 3po, ect) do you really expect something like this to work out?

Its been stated before, you cant please everyone. What you can do is learn from your losses and optimize your roster for what we have.

Pretty much. Also, this is by far your least "salty" post lol
  • Options

Glad to know ive got a good reputation
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

Just don't go all soft on us now
  • Options

Only if you give me my finisher 😉
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

Only if you give me my finisher 😉

And he's back...
  • Options

Except they provide a C3P0 which is worth the g11/g12 single zeta for Ewoks...
  • Options

I guess I should talk about how many times I have won GA matches due to someone going 2 or 3 trys on my ewoks...

Ewoks have a tendency to go on a rampage if they survive the first onslaught. Even if you win, it’s usually safe to assume u’ll win ewoks without the max prot bonus anyway. All it needs is just one random dodge or resist from one ewok and it all turns to poop.
  • Options
    They could just re do all the GP numbers on every character.