Cheating In Galaxy of Heroes [MEGA]

Replies

  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    As far as I know, no one has any real information here, and a few videos created a community outburst based on... what exactly? More cheating that they can’t know there’s more of because they claim CG doesn’t know either?
  • Boofpoof wrote: »
    And the forums/Reddit catch on fire for banning McMole and Bulldog...

    My 2 cents on the Bulldog is this. We can all have an opinion on what his intentions were. Good, bad, or indifferent it really doesn’t matter. Irregardless of what he intended to do the fact remains he cheated. Period. End of story folks. You either accept this fact or you do not. The why is irrelevant. “But he just wanted to bring awareness to the Devs and this isn’t fair to him”. I say bull-kitten.

    Let’s take this scenario and put it in a different context. I’m a concerned citizen about speeding in my neighborhood and the police’s inability to do something about it. So as an experiment I go speeding through my neighborhood every day for a couple of weeks and I don’t get caught. And then one day I decide to post a video of what I have been doing. The police being the savvy type of people they are see my video of me acting the fool and the next day I get stopped for doing the same thing again and get a ticket for it. Do you think a judge is going to buy the “I was trying to raise awareness of the problem in my neighborhood” as a defense for this action? The answer is no. It doesn’t matter what my intentions were. I broke the law and there are consequences for my actions. This whole thing with Bulldog is exactly this. Now do I think there are mitigating factors here? Well yes. Do I think there are aggravating factors here? Yes as well.

    The biggest issue I take with Bulldog is not only did he cheat. Not only did he come out and say I want to get caught. But that he took the extra step by stating that if they didn’t reverse his ban he would then post the information on how to cheat. I’m not seeing a lot of “buzz” about THIS particular part of his so called noble crusade. Let me translate this for some of you. “If I don’t get my way I’m going to tell you how I learned to cheat”. That’s what he’s saying. Now you tell me HOW this in any shape, form, or fashion helps the community. But Bulldog would never say that or that’s not what he meant you cry: (Go to 12m 5 seconds of this link if it doesn’t take you there)



    You can’t tell me the Devs don’t know that cheating exists. They addressed it recently. Before this whole thing blew up. So why the video to bring “awareness”? I don’t know and I’m not going to speculate. One thing I do know is that what he did wasn’t smart. For those of you defending him what would you expect CG to do in this scenario. What’s to say the next person who gets caught says “Well my intent was to make you aware”. Will you raise the pitchforks for this person or will you condemn him as a cheater and agree that he should be permanently banned? The reason this whole thing has gained traction is because McMole got banned too.

    Which brings me to McMole. And I’m not going to beat around the bush. I like McMole and his video content has always been helpful in my opinion. But he certainly didn’t fire on all cylinders when he made that video. That being said I don’t think he deserved a one-month suspension for posting that video. He didn’t cheat. He didn’t provide source information on how to cheat. He gave an opinion on Bulldog’s video (or audio to be more specific) which brought the information to a much more broader audience. And that’s where he screwed up in my opinion. CG could have handled it differently by having him remove the video and given him a conversation behind the curtain versus the action they took. So egg on CG’s face for how they handled McMole.



    Well said sir. It’s outrageous that people are sticking up for Bulldog when he is threatening CG with this ultimatum. Shame on you Bulldog.

    I would disagree with you on your point about McMole. He got off easy in my opinion.
  • Liath wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nothing posted in any way has shown how widespread it possibly is, can you explain how widespread it is and share some relative information on the statistics?

    Um. Kyno, you do know the answer as to who actually would be able to share that information? Right? Your question is as rhetorical as mine are?

    People keep claiming that this video showed us how rampant/widespread the cheating is when it did absolutely nothing of the sort.

    That wasn’t necessarily what I was studying. What I was studying was how effective is the automated detection system CG put in place. Or whatever it is that said something to the effect of catching people before we even report them.
  • TVF
    32388 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nothing posted in any way has shown how widespread it possibly is, can you explain how widespread it is and share some relative information on the statistics?

    Um. Kyno, you do know the answer as to who actually would be able to share that information? Right? Your question is as rhetorical as mine are?

    People keep claiming that this video showed us how rampant/widespread the cheating is when it did absolutely nothing of the sort.

    That wasn’t necessarily what I was studying. What I was studying was how effective is the automated detection system CG put in place. Or whatever it is that said something to the effect of catching people before we even report them.

    What anyone says and what all the people who listened take from it are two different things entirely, 76.2% of the time. And yes I track it.
    The CGDF is no more. Now we hate CG because of the change to the shipment tab. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nothing posted in any way has shown how widespread it possibly is, can you explain how widespread it is and share some relative information on the statistics?

    Um. Kyno, you do know the answer as to who actually would be able to share that information? Right? Your question is as rhetorical as mine are?

    People keep claiming that this video showed us how rampant/widespread the cheating is when it did absolutely nothing of the sort.

    That wasn’t necessarily what I was studying. What I was studying was how effective is the automated detection system CG put in place. Or whatever it is that said something to the effect of catching people before we even report them.

    I'm not saying that you made that claim. People on this forum have made the claim, repeatedly, that your/McMole's videos showed that.
  • LynnYoda
    1017 posts Member
    All the video actually showed was 1 guy bought a cheating apk and used it for 2 months on 1 (possibly more) account/s.
    just for the record bulldog now states he was inundated with messages asking what "mod" it was and where he got it from.... ill bet you never bothered to pass those names on to CG Erik or whoever else you have been speaking to.
    since mcmole was banned for speaking about your cheating video then would those people who are "trying" to get the cheat from you not have a good chance of cheating so they could be monitored and action taken?
  • LynnYoda wrote: »
    All the video actually showed was 1 guy bought a cheating apk and used it for 2 months on 1 (possibly more) account/s.
    just for the record bulldog now states he was inundated with messages asking what "mod" it was and where he got it from.... ill bet you never bothered to pass those names on to CG Erik or whoever else you have been speaking to.
    since mcmole was banned for speaking about your cheating video then would those people who are "trying" to get the cheat from you not have a good chance of cheating so they could be monitored and action taken?

    That’s a pretty big leap to assume they want to cheat with it. Are you saying you don’t think it’s natural to wonder where it’s from?

    And plenty of those requests are on my public server, if CG really wants to monitor them.
  • Boofpoof wrote: »

    The biggest issue I take with Bulldog is not only did he cheat. Not only did he come out and say I want to get caught. But that he took the extra step by stating that if they didn’t reverse his ban he would then post the information on how to cheat. I’m not seeing a lot of “buzz” about THIS particular part of his so called noble crusade. Let me translate this for some of you. “If I don’t get my way I’m going to tell you how I learned to cheat”. That’s what he’s saying. Now you tell me HOW this in any shape, form, or fashion helps the community.

    You can’t tell me the Devs don’t know that cheating exists. They addressed it recently. Before this whole thing blew up. So why the video to bring “awareness”?

    The first screen shot you are referring to was 1) taken way out of context and 2) still a dumb thing for me to say, as I was frustrated with being banned, and I definitely regret it and specifically messaged CG to make it clear I was not blackmailing them and wouldn’t be doing that. Or even fighting my ban period. People were sending tons of questions wanting to know which mod I used. I refused to say. They were all shooting guesses at me. When I got banned and thought I was done with this game I suddenly didn’t care what happened anymore, and I said I would say which of the ones it was. It wasn’t blackmail. I wasn’t going to teach people how to use it. It’s a mod you have to pay for, so I can’t just send my copy across the internet. It was still stupid of me to say, but I think people are interpreting it way worse than it actually was.

    As for the 2nd part, I wasn’t raising awareness with the devs. They’ve known about this since at least tournaments and I’d assume earlier. I was raising awareness with the community. The devs knowing about it already was exactly why I didn’t feel the need to report it to them first.

    Taken out of context? Were the words you used about the clicks on your channel and that it was important to you that no other youtuber got credit for it also "taken out of context"? I'll give you at least some credit that you admit that it was dumb for you to say. I'll go further to say that your intent to raising awareness in the community was also dumb. Are you really saying that the community is blind to that there are cheats out there?

    You say one thing but you mean another. It shreds your credibility as to your intentions which I'm assuming is the whole reason why you decided to take it upon yourself to cheat. I'm sorry Bulldog but I don't buy it. My own personal opinion (and that's all it is) is that you did this to raise your status on YouTube. And here you are now trying to say "That wasn't my intention" or "That was taken out of context". Where's the statement that "Hey I know I shouldn't have done this and I'll accept my punishment". I have yet to see it.
    SWGOH Guild: Peace Is A Lie SWGOH Profile: Boofpoof Discord: Buffpuff#3065
  • Number of Players > Developers. Players will always find ways to circumvent games. Just by sheer numbers and savvy, and nothing better to do.
  • Boofpoof wrote: »
    Boofpoof wrote: »

    The biggest issue I take with Bulldog is not only did he cheat. Not only did he come out and say I want to get caught. But that he took the extra step by stating that if they didn’t reverse his ban he would then post the information on how to cheat. I’m not seeing a lot of “buzz” about THIS particular part of his so called noble crusade. Let me translate this for some of you. “If I don’t get my way I’m going to tell you how I learned to cheat”. That’s what he’s saying. Now you tell me HOW this in any shape, form, or fashion helps the community.

    You can’t tell me the Devs don’t know that cheating exists. They addressed it recently. Before this whole thing blew up. So why the video to bring “awareness”?

    The first screen shot you are referring to was 1) taken way out of context and 2) still a dumb thing for me to say, as I was frustrated with being banned, and I definitely regret it and specifically messaged CG to make it clear I was not blackmailing them and wouldn’t be doing that. Or even fighting my ban period. People were sending tons of questions wanting to know which mod I used. I refused to say. They were all shooting guesses at me. When I got banned and thought I was done with this game I suddenly didn’t care what happened anymore, and I said I would say which of the ones it was. It wasn’t blackmail. I wasn’t going to teach people how to use it. It’s a mod you have to pay for, so I can’t just send my copy across the internet. It was still stupid of me to say, but I think people are interpreting it way worse than it actually was.

    As for the 2nd part, I wasn’t raising awareness with the devs. They’ve known about this since at least tournaments and I’d assume earlier. I was raising awareness with the community. The devs knowing about it already was exactly why I didn’t feel the need to report it to them first.

    Taken out of context? Were the words you used about the clicks on your channel and that it was important to you that no other youtuber got credit for it also "taken out of context"? I'll give you at least some credit that you admit that it was dumb for you to say. I'll go further to say that your intent to raising awareness in the community was also dumb. Are you really saying that the community is blind to that there are cheats out there?

    You say one thing but you mean another. It shreds your credibility as to your intentions which I'm assuming is the whole reason why you decided to take it upon yourself to cheat. I'm sorry Bulldog but I don't buy it. My own personal opinion (and that's all it is) is that you did this to raise your status on YouTube. And here you are now trying to say "That wasn't my intention" or "That was taken out of context". Where's the statement that "Hey I know I shouldn't have done this and I'll accept my punishment". I have yet to see it.

    Did I do it for my channel? Of course, that’s what YouTubers do pretty much universally. I spent months researching this and other related things because I thought it was interesting and might make a worthwhile series for my channel. That’s just how Youtube works. Of course I would be mad if someone else picked it up and got all the credit for my months of my work. I don’t understand why this shocks people.

    And yes, I believe the community was blind to this. If they weren’t, then why was the reaction the way it was? If everybody already knew then nobody would have cared about my video.

    I have said numerous times I accept my punishment. I have not said I shouldn’t have done this because I don’t believe that. I still believe it will help the game, and even though it hurt me (all these new subscribers are pointless if I can’t keep making videos) I don’t regret it. If I take a game winning shot in basketball and miss I may be bummed about the outcome, but it doesn’t mean I think I shouldn’t have taken the shot.
  • LynnYoda
    1017 posts Member
    LynnYoda wrote: »
    All the video actually showed was 1 guy bought a cheating apk and used it for 2 months on 1 (possibly more) account/s.
    just for the record bulldog now states he was inundated with messages asking what "mod" it was and where he got it from.... ill bet you never bothered to pass those names on to CG Erik or whoever else you have been speaking to.
    since mcmole was banned for speaking about your cheating video then would those people who are "trying" to get the cheat from you not have a good chance of cheating so they could be monitored and action taken?

    That’s a pretty big leap to assume they want to cheat with it. Are you saying you don’t think it’s natural to wonder where it’s from?

    And plenty of those requests are on my public server, if CG really wants to monitor them.

    well yeah if they were not interested in cheating or using it then they have no need to ask what "mod" you used and where to get it from :*
    only someone looking for it or to use it would be asking those sort of questions tbh
  • Mandalore wrote: »
    Here's the bottom line, bulldog violated the terms of service, and on top of that informed potentially thousands of other players how to do so as well making cg's efforts to fix the issue which they've already made clear they are working on so much harder. Frankly they made the right decision to ban him. It was a stupid and short sighted thing to do on his part. No one should bring attention to cheating. The devs are kept very well aware of what's going on in the game. Customer service goes through EA so it's no surprise when we don't hear anything back from them but there are highly reputable players like warrior that keep in close contact with the devs so we shouldnt be so quick to jump to irrational decisions and take matters into our own hands. This clearly shows that does more harm than good.

    While I don’t disagree with anything you said... I’m curious how you would feel about a hypothetical... defendant is charged with petit larceny for stealing files from a company... these files contain information that leads to discovering a fraud on this company’s investors - or let’s say it was a file from the nfl office that shows how rampant cheating is in the league and the lack of appropriate oversight. Let’s also say that because of these files, the police and the district attorney - or attorney general are able to successfully prosecute the company in question... would you feel this person deserves a favorable disposition? A lenient sentence? Can you envision a situation where someone’s punishment should be re-evaluated because of the good their technically illegal act brought about? Of course, in order to agree to a lenient sentence on bulldog, you’d have to agree to the premise that the exposition of everything that he exposed is going to bring about change in a good way, which is why I presented a hypothetical, because I’m curious how you feel more generally when you post a post like this?
  • AcoylteJPeg
    16 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    But instead of bringing that information directly to those that could do something about it, they decide to show anyone they can the fraud (to go off your hypothetical) and work on profiting off the damaging aspects in a new way, while causing further damage to the community by riling them up about something beyond their control.

    Bulldog didn't find the hack and report it to CG so they could look over the code and patch their weak points. He took it to cheat for months to make views about how cheating happens and cause drama in our community. Before the view was posted CG made comments about working on their security and have always continued to do so. They don't post details because whenever you have an ongoing investigation you don't show your hand. The only benefit that came from the posting of those videos was Bulldog's name becoming more well known, for better or worse. It was entirely selfish and damaging to the community.
  • The solution is simple, report everyone you ever fight in any mode win or lose. When they get 500k reports a day perhaps they will understand how little confidence the community has in their anticheating measures.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    TVF wrote: »
    Krashxxxx wrote: »
    The solution is simple, report everyone you ever fight in any mode win or lose. When they get 500k reports a day perhaps they will understand how little confidence the community has in their anticheating measures.

    All that will do is waste their time and make it even less likely they catch actual cheaters.

    Right. Apparently some people want to protest the alleged lack of cheater surveillance by making it harder to catch cheaters... weird...
  • skatev2
    1 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Frankly it is a joke that there isn't a security to scan the apk to make sure its legitimate. Especially how long this game has been out for and money spent into, Marvel has it, don't see why SWGOH doesn't.
  • Ultra
    10023 posts Moderator
    skatev2 wrote: »
    Frankly it is a joke that there isn't a security to scan the apk to make sure its legitimate. Especially how long this game has been out for and money spent into, Marvel has it, don't see why SWGOH doesn't.
    I did a 2 second google search and looks like cheating is still an issue in that game, predictably. You can't just get rid of cheating permanently

    https://www.marvelstrikeforce.com/en/updates/community-update-cheating-detection

    Its a very similar blog post to Capital Games recent post by Crumb, but the PR is better
  • Boofpoof wrote: »
    And the forums/Reddit catch on fire for banning McMole and Bulldog...

    My 2 cents on the Bulldog is this. We can all have an opinion on what his intentions were. Good, bad, or indifferent it really doesn’t matter. Irregardless




    Irregardless is not a word.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    skatev2 wrote: »
    Frankly it is a joke that there isn't a security to scan the apk to make sure its legitimate. Especially how long this game has been out for and money spent into, Marvel has it, don't see why SWGOH doesn't.
    I did a 2 second google search and looks like cheating is still an issue in that game, predictably. You can't just get rid of cheating permanently

    https://www.marvelstrikeforce.com/en/updates/community-update-cheating-detection

    Its a very similar blog post to Capital Games recent post by Crumb, but the PR is better

    Hm. Maybe it’s a better community.

    Some people seem to think that cheating is just not in other games. Honestly, no one really knows the scale of cheating in this one, maybe not even CG, so why exactly are we all hammering CG for it? Because they can’t stop the method?
  • LynnYoda wrote: »
    All the video actually showed was 1 guy bought a cheating apk and used it for 2 months on 1 (possibly more) account/s.
    just for the record bulldog now states he was inundated with messages asking what "mod" it was and where he got it from.... ill bet you never bothered to pass those names on to CG Erik or whoever else you have been speaking to.
    since mcmole was banned for speaking about your cheating video then would those people who are "trying" to get the cheat from you not have a good chance of cheating so they could be monitored and action taken?

    That’s a pretty big leap to assume they want to cheat with it. Are you saying you don’t think it’s natural to wonder where it’s from?

    And plenty of those requests are on my public server, if CG really wants to monitor them.

    I was just thinking of this. Just because I didn't know something like this was out there, and then I did, it wouldn't change my propensity or desire to cheat.

    And I'd assume the same from most people. If you weren't that type in the first place, I hardly doubt the advent of such a mechanism is going to sway you.

    Me, personally, I'm not a tech guy, or a coder or whatever. So I haven't even the slightest want in knowing anything about those selling such diabolical programs. Where they come from or how they work. Don't care. Stay away from my game. But if I were a programmer or a detective type, yeah I can see that.



  • LynnYoda
    1017 posts Member
    LynnYoda wrote: »
    All the video actually showed was 1 guy bought a cheating apk and used it for 2 months on 1 (possibly more) account/s.
    just for the record bulldog now states he was inundated with messages asking what "mod" it was and where he got it from.... ill bet you never bothered to pass those names on to CG Erik or whoever else you have been speaking to.
    since mcmole was banned for speaking about your cheating video then would those people who are "trying" to get the cheat from you not have a good chance of cheating so they could be monitored and action taken?

    That’s a pretty big leap to assume they want to cheat with it. Are you saying you don’t think it’s natural to wonder where it’s from?

    And plenty of those requests are on my public server, if CG really wants to monitor them.

    I was just thinking of this. Just because I didn't know something like this was out there, and then I did, it wouldn't change my propensity or desire to cheat.

    And I'd assume the same from most people. If you weren't that type in the first place, I hardly doubt the advent of such a mechanism is going to sway you.

    Me, personally, I'm not a tech guy, or a coder or whatever. So I haven't even the slightest want in knowing anything about those selling such diabolical programs. Where they come from or how they work. Don't care. Stay away from my game. But if I were a programmer or a detective type, yeah I can see that.



    yeah exactly but you aint asking him which mod hes using or where he got it from..... thats the point for all those asking those questions means they are at least thinking about it so their accounts should be monitored
  • I was just thinking of this. Just because I didn't know something like this was out there, and then I did, it wouldn't change my propensity or desire to cheat.

    And I'd assume the same from most people. If you weren't that type in the first place, I hardly doubt the advent of such a mechanism is going to sway you.

    There is such thing as a hoard mentality. For some people knowing people are using a cheat even tho it is wrong gives them valid justification for them to do it a well. Take a look on a highway if everyone is passing someone that is going the speed limit they are more likely to speed up and feel justified for it. I am glad you are not one of these people but they do exist so you cannot dismiss it.
This discussion has been closed.