How to make a Rock Paper Scissors meta

2Next

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    From what i have read here and watched on youtube, there appear to be 4 viable offensive teams at the top end of arena: drevan+malak, jkr, GG nuke, and Padme. Now, clearly from the meta report Drevan is the best defensive team, however I dont think this takes away from the fact that there are multiple viable teams.

Getting back to the OP; my arena shard has G13 Malaks in the top 30 and I don't have malak at all.
    -I was running a fully maxed JKR team, couldn't beat any of them.
    -So I maxed out the Padme team, nope, beat some badly modded teams but couldn't get into the top 20.
    -Now I'm 1 piece away from G13 GG but even that is acknowledged in the youtube videos as a soft counter

The top 20 of my shard is identical teams, there is no variety.

I run a g13 Padmé team on a launch shard. I finish first if I have the time to play. Finished first yesterday and today. Everyone else runs all g13 Malak teams.

You gave up on Padmé too quickly.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • The only way to make a rock-paper-scissors meta that rewards investment is to make all three teams have a p2w element (by most standards, hoarded crystals always help).
    I bet that would calm all the complainers. Facing 3 new exclusive meta teams in TW/GA every quarter while some can't manage their resources to get one sure seems like a good direction.
  • They know how to. They dont want to
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    Witness wrote: »
    How to make a Rock Paper Scissors meta with current teams:
    1. GG unique - anytime GG is inflicted with fear or deathmark, he clears all debuffs, resets cooldowns, and immediately takes a bonus turn.

Honest question: what does a rock paper scissors meta look like to you?

From what i have read here and watched on youtube, there appear to be 4 viable offensive teams at the top end of arena: drevan+malak, jkr, GG nuke, and Padme. Now, clearly from the meta report Drevan is the best defensive team, however I dont think this takes away from the fact that there are multiple viable teams.

You forgot IG88 lead droids

Thats what I meant by the GG nuke team. Any droid team relying on GG
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    They know how to. They dont want to

I think this is, at least on some level, partially true. We basically had an interesting and "open" meta, right before Malak dropped. There were at least 3-4 viable teams at that point - then the nerf hammer was dropped (on Palp and JKA) and Malak was released. And here we are.

CG doesn't want an open meta that lends itself to creative theory crafting. They want to prescribe the meta to us and the only decision left to the players then is to pursue it or not - which, for most players really just means spend resources or not (either well managed crystal stashes or money to make up for not hoarding or directing resources into other farms, gear, etc.).

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I don't know why people keep talking about a "rock, paper, scissors" meta in a PTW game. Other than the exception of brief transitions periods between character releases, such a meta is neither intended nor desired by the two most important groups in the game.

1. EA. They want people to have an incentive to spend. A spending incentive is a meta that comprised of the newest squad able to be obtained by money.
    2. Whales. The people who spend want to know they are getting some sort of advantage for their money.

• I don't know why people keep talking about a "rock, paper, scissors" meta in a PTW game. Other than the exception of brief transitions periods between character releases, such a meta is neither intended nor desired by the two most important groups in the game.

1. EA. They want people to have an incentive to spend. A spending incentive is a meta that comprised of the newest squad able to be obtained by money.
    2. Whales. The people who spend want to know they are getting some sort of advantage for their money.

People keep talking about it because CG has said that want to create that environment. The first time I paid attention them saying that was around the release of ships 2.0.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    I don't know why people keep talking about a "rock, paper, scissors" meta in a PTW game. Other than the exception of brief transitions periods between character releases, such a meta is neither intended nor desired by the two most important groups in the game.

People keep talking about it because CG has said that want to create that environment. The first time I paid attention them saying that was around the release of ships 2.0.

CG also said they wanted to ease the carb/gun/eyeball/etc crunch with Kyro.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Just going to say it now: I play Star Trek: Timelines and I'm much more willing to spend on that game, because the devs are just, like, sooooo much better then CG. If you treat your community right, people will pay.
  • Witness wrote: »
    1. GG unique - anytime GG is inflicted with fear or deathmark, he clears all debuffs, resets cooldowns, and immediately takes a bonus turn.

CG knows how to do this already. They will not do it though because of $$$$$$$$$$$$

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Padme (I think, as stated above)/gg droids can beat drev malak, jkr shreds gg droids, drev malak beats jkr etc. seems kinda Rock Paper Scissors no?

People seem to want Rock Paper Scissors Screwdriver Axe Blanket Torch Rope Hammer Chisel Staple Corkscrew.

Parity is for Commies
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Witness
    48 posts Member
    edited August 2019

GG droids would beat DR. Everytime dr has fear he’d attack again with aoe. Constant dmg and probably kill off everything. (Crit hit on malak procs fear). Jkr can easily beat GG. DR can easily beat jkr. It’s true Rock Paper Scissors
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member

GG droids would beat DR. Everytime dr has fear he’d attack again with aoe. Constant dmg and probably kill off everything. (Crit hit on malak procs fear). Jkr can easily beat GG. DR can easily beat jkr. It’s true Rock Paper Scissors

GG can already beat DR so it's already RPS.
  • Witness wrote: »

So something like the most recent counter chart I saw?:
    DR+Malak is soft countered by GG, padme, and jkr
    JKR is hard countered by GG (and soft countered by Padme)
    Padme is hard countered by GG (and soft countered by Malak)
    GG is soft countered by Malak and Padme

Looks fairly rock paper scissors to me, don't know why an already powerful toon would need to be made more powerful to get diversity
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    SkylarSong wrote: »
    Just going to say it now: I play Star Trek: Timelines and I'm much more willing to spend on that game, because the devs are just, like, sooooo much better then CG. If you treat your community right, people will pay.

Is that game making more money overall ? Or more per capita ? If neither of those is true, then what you’re saying doesn’t matter. Business dude. Free to play people don’t count for anything in their eyes , so free to play isn’t treated well. Imagine having a little cafe , and every day the same people come in and crap in your restroom. Then leave. Spend no money. You’re not going to treat them well.
  • Stick wrote: »
    Just going to say it now: I play Star Trek: Timelines and I'm much more willing to spend on that game, because the devs are just, like, sooooo much better then CG. If you treat your community right, people will pay.

Is that game making more money overall ? Or more per capita ? If neither of those is true, then what you’re saying doesn’t matter. Business dude. Free to play people don’t count for anything in their eyes , so free to play isn’t treated well. Imagine having a little cafe , and every day the same people come in and crap in your restroom. Then leave. Spend no money. You’re not going to treat them well.

Lol funny analogy, but the flaw in it is that the owner of the cafe would eventually make those people buy something before taking a crap. Applying that to SWGOH would mean that it’s a pay to play game, so they make a f2p and then get mad at the people that are not paying to play the game. Just make it a $10 purchase or a monthly subscription.
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    Stick wrote: »

Lol funny analogy, but the flaw in it is that the owner of the cafe would eventually make those people buy something before taking a crap. Applying that to SWGOH would mean that it’s a pay to play game, so they make a f2p and then get mad at the people that are not paying to play the game. Just make it a $10 purchase or a monthly subscription.

Ya you’re right. Wasn’t the best analogy. Too funny to pass up though
  • Not let a six year old with crayons and a taste for paste decide one character is better than all the rest and nerf any character challenging that paste induced logic bubble

Everytime I read that comment I can't help but read it in Bill Cosby's voice; I just can't read it in a normal voice :P
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • TVF wrote: »
    I don't know why people keep talking about a "rock, paper, scissors" meta in a PTW game. Other than the exception of brief transitions periods between character releases, such a meta is neither intended nor desired by the two most important groups in the game.

CG also said they wanted to ease the carb/gun/eyeball/etc crunch with Kyro.

I can’t tell if you’re saying CG is 1-1 or 0-2 on their promises.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    I'm saying they say :alot: of stuff.
  • TVF wrote: »

GG can already beat DR so it's already RPS.

Metaphor does not hold since DR is still the best defensive team.
    Anyway, I believe what people really want is a diversified arena that they can climb and not have to fight the same 5 battles... Every. Single. Day.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Metaphor does not hold since DR is still the best defensive team.
    Anyway, I believe what people really want is a diversified arena that they can climb and not have to fight the same 5 battles... Every. Single. Day.
    Its tough to introduce meta diversity because people will always gravitate to using the same team that everyone else is using at the top (5 best combination of toons)

This is what makes Grand Arena more fun / interesting, its more diverse on what teams you get to tackle every round