Why no Tie Defender???

When entire primary sub-plotlines of various Star Wars stories (tv show Rebels and new book Thrawn Treason) include the development of Thrawn’s Tie Defender program it is difficult for me to understand why it’s a ship that has yet to be introduced to the game.

Replies

• Completely agree, the defender would be cool, but how about A B and Y wings first?
    The answer is because ships hasnt been a priority and they’re saddled with an awkward pilot to ship issue
  • Same reason we dont have jedi luke
  • I'd definitely expect to see tie interceptor and bomber ahead of defender.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Because Palpatine diverted most of the Empire's resources to the Deathstar despite Thrawn's warning.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Or TIE Interceptor, TIE Heavy, TIE Bomber... It all boils down to the pilot-ship problem, they have pretty much painted themselves into a corner with that. Although the recent introduction of a pilot-less ship might bring some change in this regard.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    Because they hate ships, that’s why.
  • ... Admiral Zaarin developed the TIE Defender and I won't hear anything else. Thrawn overthrew Zaarin's insurgency, captured the TD technology, and continued development of the program.
    Yep.
    Zaarin.jpg
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/112412/admiral-zaarin-and-the-tie-defender
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »

I don't think they hate ships, more likely they created a flawed system and it took them too long to realize their mistake. Ships 2.0 were a band-aid on a broken leg, the whole system needs a complete overhaul. I don't blame them for being reluctant to entrench themselves deeper into this mess.
  • Nauros wrote: »

I don't think they hate ships, more likely they created a flawed system and it took them too long to realize their mistake. Ships 2.0 were a band-aid on a broken leg, the whole system needs a complete overhaul. I don't blame them for being reluctant to entrench themselves deeper into this mess.

Bring back a single store for pilots. Nothing meta. Just basic kits.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Waiting for missle boat...

Special : missle barrage cooldown 1 kills all units on field lol
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    ... Admiral Zaarin developed the TIE Defender and I won't hear anything else. Thrawn overthrew Zaarin's insurgency, captured the TD technology, and continued development of the program.

That ship was so much fun to fly. Tie Advanced was fast but fragile, Defender added a lot more shield, speed, and 2 ion cannons. Firing 6 blasts at once while cruising in and out of X-wings was amazingly fun, even at 640x480. Battlefront ship combat just paled in comparison.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »

2 year gap in between capital ships.

149 toons....44 ships.

500 crystals for #1 in arena...400 crystals for #1 in ship arena

Ship excluded from most GA’s and all GAC’s.

Falcon meta going on 9 months.

GK’s ship locked behind a steep unlock

This looks like hate to me.

• Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited August 2019

149 toons....44 ships.

But whatever you hate about falcon meta the next one will be (not worse) but prob more painful :)

longer maybe
    more RNG based with immunity with GK maybe
    crazy revives and capital stunning GG

might be more fun might not.... does sound like battle time is going up no matter what... and frustration level might go through the roof ;)

• kalidor wrote: »
    ... Admiral Zaarin developed the TIE Defender and I won't hear anything else. Thrawn overthrew Zaarin's insurgency, captured the TD technology, and continued development of the program.

That ship was so much fun to fly. Tie Advanced was fast but fragile, Defender added a lot more shield, speed, and 2 ion cannons. Firing 6 blasts at once while cruising in and out of X-wings was amazingly fun, even at 640x480. Battlefront ship combat just paled in comparison.

That missile boat though. Not as versatile, not as much fun to fly, but a supremely ruthless killer.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »

149 toons....44 ships.

But whatever you hate about falcon meta the next one will be (not worse) but prob more painful :)

longer maybe
    more RNG based with immunity with GK maybe
    crazy revives and capital stunning GG

might be more fun might not.... does sound like battle time is going up no matter what... and frustration level might go through the roof ;)

I don’t hate the Falcon meta, it’s just stale and I am ready for something new. It’s gonna suck that the whaleylest of whale guilds will all get GK’s first and proceed to pounce on us mere mortals.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    kalidor wrote: »

That missile boat though. Not as versatile, not as much fun to fly, but a supremely ruthless killer.

Yeah, the fact that the missile boat had only one blaster but you could redirect its power to engines/shield with the same boost effectiveness as a duel/quad/hex blaster ship, and missiles took no power to fire, kind of made it a bit of an OP ship. At least the missions you flew it in were crazy hard.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • ... Admiral Zaarin developed the TIE Defender and I won't hear anything else. Thrawn overthrew Zaarin's insurgency, captured the TD technology, and continued development of the program.
    Yep.
    Zaarin.jpg
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/112412/admiral-zaarin-and-the-tie-defender

Eh, non-canon.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Who shall pilot the Tie Defender? Has there ever been a famous Tie Defender pilot in either the real or the Disney timeline? I can't think of any. Maybe Vult Skerris from the tv show rebels? Baron Soontir Fel was more of a Tie Fighter pilot but I suppose they could use him for the defender....

But then, what about the Tie Interceptor? The Tie Avenger (Tie advanced production model), the Tie Phantom (with a cloaking shield from Star Wars Rebel Assault II), Tie Bomber, TIE Advanced v1 (used by the Inquisitors with folding wings), the Tie Striker (from Rogue One), First Order TIE Interceptor (the red one from Star Wars Resistance flown by Major baron Elrik Vonreg)...the list goes on and on....
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Empire and Tarkin actually need a dedicated tank for fleet. Gets my vote.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Yep.
    Zaarin.jpg

Oh I’m sorry, Thrawn’s too busy strategizing to concern himself with such matters. ;)

As much as I know we need classic ships like Y-Wing and TIE bomber first, I would get excited for a TIE Defender. That would be a nice bonus ship to play around with.
  • USAFmedic129
    1538 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    I would love an Empire comeback adding Tie Defender and give it synergy with Chimaera.

Still waiting on the Classic Rebel Fighters, Y-Wing with Gold Leader, A-Wing with Green Leader or Hermione Corfield as the pilot, and B Wing with Generic B-Wing Pilot guy from the film.
  • Meh, to hell with the Tie Defender, we need the Tie Interceptor! Clearly the Defender was just the result of a 4-year old playing around with an Interceptor model kit to begin with lol.
  • You all forget one little detail: you don't want the "original" TIE Defender. You want the TIE Defender Elite. ;)
    Though it's not directly stated in the new canon anymore, they are an improvement of the original construction and kind of an elegant combination of Imperial and Chiss fighter style. The form, the shields, a hyperdrive for such kind of ship - all inspired by the kind of ships the Chiss have themselves. As for the pilot, I guess it would have to be Skerris, but could be someone from the new book as well.
  • Meh, to hell with the Tie Defender, we need the Tie Interceptor! Clearly the Defender was just the result of a 4-year old playing around with an Interceptor model kit to begin with lol.

Ha!!!
  • Why was General Grievous released as such a weak character?
    Why does the Gamorean Guard exist?
    Why in fact are so many characters a wasted investment?
    Why do even useless characters exist to take our hard earned time, crystals etc.?

Thinking what should be is causing me to consider a way out.