Monetizing a Sandbox Mode

I’ve been thinking lately about a possible solution for the sizeable amount of folks that want a sandbox mode.

It makes perfect sense for CG to hold the position that they don’t see viability in a mode that doesn’t produce rewards for the community (and allow them to monetize those rewards for folks who want them quicker).

CG is a business after all and you can’t tie up finite resources on activities that don’t at a minimum bring in as much as it costs to use them.

So what if instead of a sandbox mode in game, there was a completely standalone app that is a stripped down version of the game with the following:

• All characters unlocked
• Options to set them at G10, 11, 12, or 13
• One mode that allows you to pick who you want to play as and against.

Perhaps there is a viable business case that could justify this mode for a one time payment somewhere between $9.99-$14.99 or even a subscription based system in the area of $1.99-$2.99 a month? I could get behind it at that cost.

Pending the success and growth, more capabilities could be added down the road... mods layouts, import legendary events to practice, specific gear piece layouts, etc...

Seems like a win for both the community and CG to me.

Replies

• Austin9370 wrote: »
    Hahaha, will never happen.

If you believe in the multiverse it already has!

• I’ve been thinking lately about a possible solution for the sizeable amount of folks that want a sandbox mode.

The amount of people who want a sandbox mode isn't nearly as "sizable" as you think it is. As they said in the Q&A, their research shows that there aren't that many players who will actually spend any significant time on a game mode that doesn't give any rewards. 100 people posting on the forums is not a significant portion of the player base. Neither is 500 people posting on the forums.
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    Sooo.... you basically want them to sell dev accounts? I don’t think that’ll happen.
  • A fraction of the price 1000x the number of bugs with minimal support. No thanks they have enough of a job looking after this.
  • Please. It's actually really easy for CG to monetize a sandbox mode.

Step 1 - Make all tries/attempts only possible by spending crystals. But make it locked to 25 crystals per attempt regardless of the amount of attempts tried. But to throw a bone to all players, there will be sandbox tokens you can earn once per week through daily logins. ;)

If CG builds it, they will pay.
  • I’ve been thinking lately about a possible solution for the sizeable amount of folks that want a sandbox mode.

The amount of people who want a sandbox mode isn't nearly as "sizable" as you think it is. As they said in the Q&A, their research shows that there aren't that many players who will actually spend any significant time on a game mode that doesn't give any rewards. 100 people posting on the forums is not a significant portion of the player base. Neither is 500 people posting on the forums.

If you are in a high end guild you would want sandbox mode. Players in high-end guilds are usually the whales. Anyway... It's a sizable and important demographic of people that want it.