How can you decide who deserves God mods?

13Next

Replies

• Liath wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    Since I rarely let my credits drop below 6 figures I imagine I'll be just fine.

If L90 ever came, I would expect at least 2M credits to train up a single character from 85 to 90. You would need 8 figures to level up one squad, 9 figures to level up a full complement of GAC characters.

You're right, I misspoke. I meant to say "I rarely let my credits drop below 9 figures."

Well then I'm sure you represent the average player very well. I'm sitting just over 200 million, the amount of time it would take me to go over a billion and farm mods at the same time would be so long that the game may not even be around, unless I stopped farming mods today and only bought credits

A billion would be 10 figures.

Ohh yeah true 😂, although if level 90 happens a few hundred million won't save you, I highly doubt the cost will be less than 5 mil let character

You only have to start with the best teams and then keep up with everyone else so you can eventually get there. You just have to be selective much like g13.

As far as slicing mods, I level most mosts on my main account and slice the ones that are promising. Even the greys. I farm slicing materials when i have mods that need sliced and more mods when I don't.

The cost to level most mods is fairly small and you get most of your credits back when you sell the bad ones. I have about 200 mil credits and even slucing mods regularly, that number is growing since most characters are at lvl 85 so I rarely need credits for much else.

On my alt I'm still working on getting teams leveled so I ignore greys and most greens since I never have the credits to level them.

So it really depends on where you're at in the game on what's best. That and how likely you think level 90 is to come soon.
  • TVF wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Hey, lotteries aren't luck, they are just an exercise in statistics! The more tickets you buy, the better your odds of cashing out! No excuses, you just aren't buying enough tickets.

What are the odds of getting a useful winning ticket in the lottery?

What are the odds of getting a useful mod?

How many possible combinations go into winning a lottery jackpot?

How many possible combinations go into getting a speed over 25?

I don't know, why don't you tell me.

I don't know either. The point is that the two situations are not comparable.

But they are. They are totally comparable. It's all statistics. It's all random draws. Buy more mods to improve your god mod odds, that is your advice. Buy more lottery tickets to improve your cash out odds, that is my advice. The only difference is that the lottery odds are longer. Well, they might be longer if we cared to actually calculate the numbers. But the numbers don't really matter. If you think that lottery probabilities are somehow fundamentally different than mod farming probabilities, then you are simply wrong.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Hey, lotteries aren't luck, they are just an exercise in statistics! The more tickets you buy, the better your odds of cashing out! No excuses, you just aren't buying enough tickets.

But they are. They are totally comparable. It's all statistics. It's all random draws. Buy more mods to improve your god mod odds, that is your advice. Buy more lottery tickets to improve your cash out odds, that is my advice. The only difference is that the lottery odds are longer. Well, they might be longer if we cared to actually calculate the numbers. But the numbers don't really matter. If you think that lottery probabilities are somehow fundamentally different than mod farming probabilities, then you are simply wrong.

Respectfully disagree.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Since I rarely let my credits drop below 6 figures I imagine I'll be just fine.

If L90 ever came, I would expect at least 2M credits to train up a single character from 85 to 90. You would need 8 figures to level up one squad, 9 figures to level up a full complement of GAC characters.

You're right, I misspoke. I meant to say "I rarely let my credits drop below 9 figures."

Well then I'm sure you represent the average player very well. I'm sitting just over 200 million, the amount of time it would take me to go over a billion and farm mods at the same time would be so long that the game may not even be around, unless I stopped farming mods today and only bought credits

A billion would be 10 figures.

Ohh yeah true 😂, although if level 90 happens a few hundred million won't save you, I highly doubt the cost will be less than 5 mil let character

It will take time to collect the XP to actually reach level 90, during which time you can save up more credits if you're concerned about it.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

The reason they aren't comparable isn't about the probabilities, it's about the fact that you have to pay money for a lottery ticket in the hopes of getting more money back in exchange, but the expected value of your ticket is negative.
  • Liath wrote: »

The reason they aren't comparable isn't about the probabilities, it's about the fact that you have to pay money for a lottery ticket in the hopes of getting more money back in exchange, but the expected value of your ticket is negative.

Statistics don't change because you've placed some kind of voodoo good or bad vibes on your purchase. My word. This is ridiculous and I've spent enough time here. OP's point was that farming mods is frustrating and the odds of landing a good mod are very long indeed. Since good mods are key to doing well, it would be nice if there were some way to improve those odds. But it seems the only avenue is to just keep buying lottery tickets and praying to RNGesus.
    Buying those mod packs that sometimes show up might be a good way to find better mods. Money talks, right? Maybe.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    They're called god mods because only god can decide who gets them.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Statistics don't change because you've placed some kind of voodoo good or bad vibes on your purchase.

I have no idea what this means except that you aren't familiar with the term "expected value."
  • I agree with mods being the worst part of the game.

I didn't farm mods at all before mod energy and mod 2.0. I was in early stages of the game so cantina energy was too much valued. I started farming with introduction of mod energy. I usually farmed only Speed, CC, Potency and CD - each for a week than switching to another one. Sometimes before reducing hard node farming from 8 to 5 tries per day, I moved my crystal spending to mods and I buy 360 energy every day. I did several months of slicing recently to upgrade my "best" mods to gold and to 6 dot mods and returned to mods framing last week.

I have 3 mods with speed 20+ (2 CC squares and 1 heath diamond). I have some decent mods but I'm nowhere close to stuff I see in my arena shard (and I'm talking about 200-500 rank). My fastest toon is Bossk :# with +114 speed because he has Tenacity mods I'm not using on any other toon (except Enfys but she gets low/no speed ones). It looks like I have only 5 toons I managed to get over +100 (Bossk, EP, BB8, Rey Scavanger and CLS). I could probably get more by reshuffling mods but this setup seems to work better for TW and GA. Just checked few teams I can fight in my squad arena and the third Revan I checked had +128 speed. I could not get a toon to that speed even if I used my very top mods.

My two problems with mods system is how big impact speed have on the game and how annoying it is to farm mods.

Speed is still the most important factor for many teams. Take Bastila Fallen - just her speed can give raw expectation of how the battle will work out. The game design put the game in the situation where it needs to bring variance to character evolution but at the same time has only one source of that variance - mods, and all the variance has shrunk to speed because that stat is much more important than all others. Sometimes all others together because there is no point of having +offense, +cc, +cd if all characters of your opponents play first, put debufs to you toons and pretty much wipe you before you can even take advantage of your bonuses - anyone who ever played Palpatine, Vader, Thrawn Empire mirror matches should know what I'm talking about.

There is also no way to go back and fix that because people have already invested enormous amount of time, resources and money in the current system. They tried to improve the situation with 6dot mods by giving other stats bigger increases but in my opinion it didn't solve anything - it just made faster mods stronger. The graphics allows for 7th dot but I'm afraid even adding double bonuses on everything except speed would not make it any better.

Every MMORPG I played had a lot of RNG involved in getting a good gear. The amount of tries to get that gear was only limited by amount of time you invested to game and at the same time, that gear wasn't directly predicting result of a battle. There were many factors balancing the power of gear and still giving players with better skills, other gear or strategy chance to beat someone with better gear. This does not really work with SWGOH because of its turn based game play. You can't outsmart your opponent. The only variables which differ teams at the same level and gear from each other are mods and only other input is RNG during the game. RNG during the game has only very limited ability to balance worse speed + it is RNG => it is not under our control.

For farming. Just did today Smuggler event. Got five arrow mods - 2 x Critical avoidance, 1 x Accuracy, 1 x Defense, 1 x Protection. I can imagine situations where CA and Defense could be of any use but I've never used Accuracy mod. Rest of the mods I got from event running once every two week was pretty much useless as well.

Mod farming is awful. You have:
    • RNG for rarity (number of dots) - really, this has become obsolete with mod 2.0. Who is using 3 or 4 dot mods these days? There is nothing worse than getting good mod with good primary, higher rarity and speed secondary just to see that it has just 3 dots.
    • RNG for tier (color)
    • RNG for mod shape where I assume arrows, triangles, crosses have lower probability
    • RNG for primary stat on arrows, triangles, crosses where majority of those stats have no use for mod you are farming - eg. if I want CD triangle, I'm for sure not looking for Defense, Protection or Health primary. Similar story about Potency crosses.
    • RNG for secondary stats on a mod
    • RNG for upgrading mods (secondary stats)

That is a lot of RNG to decide if you are lucky or not. Just getting CD triangle with CD primary or Speed/Potency cross with Potency primary is usually a big day. With CD triangles I very rarely see that they have also speed secondary and if they have, it does not upgrade more than once (looking at my mods).

Since mods can't be removed, neither can RNG be removed I would just target improving experience for players:
    • Remove RNG for rarity. Each level of challenges should give you only that level of rarity - it is definitely easier option than trying to add some upgrade path from 3 or 4 dot to 5 dot.
    • Reduce number of farmable primaries. As mentioned before, it is very unlikely that I want CD triangle with Defense primary. Offer these rarely used combinations in Mod store and as rewards in events.
    • Balance RNG for mod shape based on number of variants (primaries) available. Eg. arrow with speed has same probability as circle with health or circle with protection.
    • Offer only 5dot Gold mods in mod store
    • Offer only 5dot mods as rewards from events

Lastly, add more characters / teams which don't benefit from their speed (like Resistance Trooper) and characters / teams which can benefit from opponent's speed - like Droideka or even Enfys in some cases.